PDA

View Full Version : slow news day: Taylor on Merriman

Wile_E_Coyote
12-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Updated: Dec. 27, 2006, 8:10 PM ET
Dolphins' Taylor takes on Merriman, positive test
Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2709682

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) defensive end Jason Taylor (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3968) says the candidacy of his likely chief rival for NFL defensive player of the year, Shawne Merriman (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7188), was tainted by a four-game steroid suspension in November.

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/3968.jpg
Taylor

"You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said Wednesday. "To make the Pro Bowl and all the other awards, I think you're walking a fine line of sending the wrong message."

Merriman, who plays outside linebacker for the San Diego Chargers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sdg), has denied he's a steroid cheat and blamed his positive test on a tainted supplement.

"A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is," Taylor said. "You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right. It's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."

When told of Taylor's comments, Merriman said he tries to be a good role model, adding he has taken his punishment for the positive drug test.

"If I wasn't having the kind of season I'm having, this wouldn't even be a conversation," Merriman said. "The NFL will always have the level of integrity. That's what makes the NFL. In my situation, everything happened in an appropriate way. I sat out my four games, my money was taken away from me, my four games were taken away from me, and I came back and played my rear off."

Merriman leads the NFL with 16 sacks in 11 games for the AFC West champion Chargers (13-2). He has four forced fumbles and has one interception.

"He's always making plays," Taylor said. "He's one of the best young talents we have in this game right now as far as defensively, and he has had an unbelievable year. With that being said, there are certain rules and guidelines we have to abide by to play in this game."

Taylor has been one of the few bright spots this season for Miami (6-9). In 15 games, he has 13˝ sacks, 10 fumbles forced and two interceptions, both returned for touchdowns.

Taylor made his comments in a conference call with reporters in Indianapolis. The Dolphins conclude their season Sunday against the Colts.

NJ Chief Fan
12-27-2006, 10:46 PM
What all sports league need to do is monitor the athlete that has failed a drug test for steroids. Every week they should be forced into taking the test to be sure that their levels are going down. Even after their suspension, they should be tested weekly, even in the off season!

Reaper16
12-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Jason Taylor rules.

kcfanintitanhell
12-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't think any player in the NFL should be a candidate for a post-season award if they have been caught using performance-enhancing materials...period.

OnTheWarpath58
12-27-2006, 11:21 PM
"You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said Wednesday.

How true.

It's too bad that the Players Associations in all leagues get in the way of cleaning up the game. Football, baseball, you name it. There are drug users in all sports.

I don't care what sport it is, you fail a drug test for a performance enhancing substance, you're out. Then, maybe these guys will take the hint and get off this crap.

And yes, Dolt trolls, including Welbourne. I don't care if he plays for the Chiefs or not. He's a ****ing cheater just like Shawne Steroidman.

Halfcan
12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Roids Merryman has cheated his entire career and people turned a blind eye. He should not be going to the pro bowl.

BigRock
12-28-2006, 12:21 AM
The sad part is that there are people who will say Taylor's only making these comments because he and Merriman are up for the same awards, completely ignoring that he's right. I'd like to see someone totally random and unconnected to that, like... Marvin Harrison, I dunno... come out and echo Taylor's comments.

Rain Man
12-28-2006, 12:23 AM
The sad part is that there are people who will say Taylor's only making these comments because he and Merriman are up for the same awards, completely ignoring that he's right. I'd like to see someone totally random and unconnected to that, like... Marvin Harrison, I dunno... come out and echo Taylor's comments.

Or...Ryan Sims.

el borracho
12-28-2006, 12:51 AM
"You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said Wednesday.

How true.

It's too bad that the Players Associations in all leagues get in the way of cleaning up the game. Football, baseball, you name it. There are drug users in all sports.

I don't care what sport it is, you fail a drug test for a performance enhancing substance, you're out. Then, maybe these guys will take the hint and get off this crap.

And yes, Dolt trolls, including Welbourne. I don't care if he plays for the Chiefs or not. He's a ****ing cheater just like Shawne Steroidman.
Well, I wouldn't kick them out of the league for a first offense but I do agree that no player should be elegible for any post-season awards in the same year they fail a performance-enhancing drug test.

OnTheWarpath58
12-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Well, I wouldn't kick them out of the league for a first offense but I do agree that no player should be elegible for any post-season awards in the same year they fail a performance-enhancing drug test.

Is four games really that much of a deterrant?

Merriman sits four lousy games, goes to the PB, the media heralds him as this great player. Oh yeah, and he got to chose when he sat out. Why cater to a known and proven cheater?

These guys pull this shit becuase they know the punishments are weak, and they know they'll never have to truly be held acocuntable for their actions.

macdawg
12-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Taylor rules.

This bothers me, not because he was taking steroids because I'm sure many do, but because of how much he is lying to try to get out of it.

His test results show he had nandrolone in his system, street name is Deca Durabolin, which many of the young local meat-heads take at the gym as it is one of the easiest to get & most popular steroids (which makes me think WTH is he thinking not taking a designer steroid to not get caught, probably is now)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandrolone

Now I know there is no way in ****ing hell that Deca would be in an over the counter sports supplement, to imply so is preposterous.

But the public is so stupid, and see his cookie cutter responses, and they 100% buy his excuse.

el borracho
12-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Is four games really that much of a deterrant?

Merriman sits four lousy games, goes to the PB, the media heralds him as this great player. Oh yeah, and he got to chose when he sat out. Why cater to a known and proven cheater?

These guys pull this shit becuase they know the punishments are weak, and they know they'll never have to truly be held aco**ntable for their actions.
Four games is a pretty good deterrent for the 1st offense, IMO, and there should be more testing required after a positive test and longer suspensions and larger fines for repeat offenders.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Jason Taylor is a class act.

One of the worst things about Roidman and all his hype was the benefit of the doubt that he got from the national media for overtly cheating. I remember Salisbury on ESPN talking about the situation, and saying that he's a great person. How the f*ck do you know that? The guy is an obvious cheat, a liar, and a coward, and yet the media still defends this sonofabitch. Hopefully Karma's retribution is swift and decisive.

kepp
12-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Jason Taylor is a class act.

One of the worst things about Roidman and all his hype was the benefit of the doubt that he got from the national media for overtly cheating. I remember Salisbury on ESPN talking about the situation, and saying that he's a great person. How the f*ck do you know that? The guy is an obvious cheat, a liar, and a coward, and yet the media still defends this sonofabitch. Hopefully Karma's retribution is swift and decisive.
The media built him up so much in the first place and now they're trying to save face. The NFL needs:

1. A rule denying post-season awards for players caught cheating like this
2. Change the way probowl voting is handled. Make a weighted system that gives MUCH LESS weight to the votes of the fans and more to the people to vote on more than name recognition.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 09:31 AM
The media built him up so much in the first place and now they're trying to save face. The NFL needs:

2. Change the way probowl voting is handled. Make a weighted system that gives MUCH LESS weight to the votes of the fans and more to the people to vote on more than name recognition.

Coaches and players count for 2/3rds of the vote theres a 3rd for each fans, players, coaches. So obviously more than just fans voted for him.

The NFL isn't going to change rules on this, these are things.....they'll just say he served his punishment and had to test negative to return which he did.

In the end a bunch of writers won't vote for him because of it so it's not like he's going to win D player of the year anyhow. I doubt he'd won it anyway considering Champ Bailey seems to be the front runner by a big margin.

StcChief
12-28-2006, 09:36 AM
4 games. suspension is nothing.

No chance of post season awards, and any contract incentives that earn back money lost for it are removed.

Cheats can't be allowed to still win.
Ignorance of law is no excuse.
Constantly monitored random checks.

1000 hours of community service too.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
4 games. suspension is nothing.

No chance of post season awards, and any contract incentives that earn back money lost for it are removed.

Cheats can't be allowed to still win.
Ignorance of law is no excuse.
Constantly monitored random checks.

1000 hours of community service too.

These have been the rules forever.......how come you didn't cry foul when anyone else tested positive? Is it because it's a premier player in our division?

He's by no means the first guy to test positive and won't be the last so why is he "the one" that makes everyone around here cry foul about penalties that have been in place for years upon years.

Drunk
12-28-2006, 10:15 AM
What all sports league need to do is monitor the athlete that has failed a drug test for steroids. Every week they should be forced into taking the test to be sure that their levels are going down. Even after their suspension, they should be tested weekly, even in the off season!
Ive said it before and ill say it again.

He has been tested BEFORE AND AFTER the dirty test. All times coming out negative.

Drunk
12-28-2006, 10:19 AM

1. If you came to the realization of how many athletes have ever "cheated" in the history of the NFL, you'd be in for a big shock. There'd be a lot of Lombardi's taken away, thats for sure.

2. He got in BECAUSE of the coaches and players.
I dont understand what you are trying to say

Drunk
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Roids Merryman has cheated his entire career and people turned a blind eye. He should not be going to the pro bowl.
You have no idea if this statement is true, but choose to spew the useless drivel anyways.

Am I right? Or have you been following Shawne around with a plastic cup since his days at Maryland?

morphius
12-28-2006, 10:25 AM
These have been the rules forever.......how come you didn't cry foul when anyone else tested positive? Is it because it's a premier player in our division?

He's by no means the first guy to test positive and won't be the last so why is he "the one" that makes everyone around here cry foul about penalties that have been in place for years upon years.
I don't know, but I remember a lot of people talking about Romonowski on the BB when he did, so it isn't like it is something new.

Drunk
12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
By the way:
Earlier today Elias Sports Bureau, the NFL’s Official stats keeper, credited Shawne Merriman with an extra half-sack in Sunday’s win over the Seattle Seahawks.

The sack in question was on a third-and-10 with 9:02 left in the second quarter. The game day stats crew gave Jacques Cesaire a full sack, when both Cesair and Merriman took down quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. Elias reviewed the play and credited Merriman with the half-sack.

Merriman now leads the NFL with 16 sacks and needs two more on Sunday to break Gary Johnson’s team record of 17.5 in 1980.

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
go f*ck yourself, drunk

Drunk
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
go f*ck yourself, drunk
Go die a slow painful death.

B_Ambuehl
12-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Coches and players voted him in cuz they realize steroid use in the NFL is no big deal.

Redrum_69
12-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Rewards for cheating??

Does Merriman play for the Broncos???

Drunk
12-28-2006, 01:09 PM
For those of you looking to use nandrolone as your only steroid, be aware that the gains on nandrolone are not only mild, but also quite hard to maintain. Nandrolone, in the first place due to its combined estrogenic/progestagenic properties, is quite suppressive of the natural testosterone production. Since it actively participates at three receptors its very quick and merciless when it comes to giving negative feedback to the release of gonadotropin releasing hormone from the hypothalamus. But then one also has to take into account its affinity for esterases, making it stay active in the body significantly longer than most hormones. Because that means upon cessation of nandrolone-use you'll still be under quite suppressive conditions, there simply isn't enough intrinsic anabolism available to support the mass you gained, resulting in a rather quick and inglorious reduction of weight.

How many months has it been? How much has his ability dwindled? How much weight has he lost?

Drunk
12-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by --------

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Go die a slow painful death.

that's pretty much a given being a chiefs fan... they do it to us twelve months of the year, decade after decade

but you chargers fans wouldn't know anything about that--bandwagon jumping precludes actual 'losing seasons'

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 01:16 PM
For those of you looking to use nandrolone as your only steroid, be aware that the gains on nandrolone are not only mild, but also quite hard to maintain. Nandrolone, in the first place due to its combined estrogenic/progestagenic properties, is quite suppressive of the natural testosterone production. Since it actively participates at three receptors its very quick and merciless when it comes to giving negative feedback to the release of gonadotropin releasing hormone from the hypothalamus. But then one also has to take into account its affinity for esterases, making it stay active in the body significantly longer than most hormones. Because that means upon cessation of nandrolone-use you'll still be under quite suppressive conditions, there simply isn't enough intrinsic anabolism available to support the mass you gained, resulting in a rather quick and inglorious reduction of weight.

How many months has it been? How much has his ability dwindled? How much weight has he lost?

god, chargers fans are turning into the new bronco fans--condoning cheating, as well as trying to rationalize it

Drunk
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
that's pretty much a given being a chiefs fan... they do it to us twelve months of the year, decade after decade

but you chargers fans wouldn't know anything about that--bandwagon jumping precludes actual 'losing seasons'
LOL. While I would love to argue with you about NOT being a fan of a team with a history of losing, I really cant do it. Double edged sword of a comment if I ever saw one.

Drunk
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Im sorry, did you answer the questions H5?

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I answered your question, only in a bit different format than you're used to (most likely)...

it's been a while... and his ability haven't dwindled... and (as far as we know) he hasn't lost much weight...

the issue still remains--do you condone having a cheater on your team?? hell, if you've been a chargers fan for long, you've given sh*t to bronco fans for rooting for a team of f*cking cheaters... as a chiefs fan, I hate having welbourne on our team

if merriman cheated once, one would be hard pressed to say he wouldn't cheat again, this time with the 'hard to catch' steroids

you're ok with that?

Hydrae
12-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I would agree that anyone (on any team, even my Chiefs) who gets an in-season suspension should not be eligible for post season rewards. Be it Pro-Bowl or MVP or DPotY. By definition they have cheated and should lose any "extra" rewards that can be considered to have been enhanced with that cheating.

You can argue all day long as to whether Merriman gained anything from his illegal drug usage but the bottom line is that you can not prove it didn't aid him in achieving more than the guys who didn't cheat (or get caught, same difference IMO). You simply can not reward someone when that reward is potentially tainted in this manner.

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
LOL. While I would love to argue with you about NOT being a fan of a team with a history of losing, I really cant do it. Double edged sword of a comment if I ever saw one.

heh, I know... I've been in your shoes before, dude... I've been a chiefs fan since I was six years old, I'm now a month away from 24 years old... I've gone to other message boards during awesome chiefs seasons thumping my chest, only to be stabbed in the back by the chiefs

which is why it makes me laugh when opposing fans come over chestpounding... let's face it, every year, 31 teams go away broken hearted... it's just that some of us get it more than others (aka, being a chiefs fan sucks--but it's better than bandwagon jumping like a lot of chargers fans do, even if you aren't a bandwagon jumper)

Drunk
12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I answered your question, only in a bit different format than you're used to (most likely)...

it's been a while... and his ability haven't dwindled... and (as far as we know) he hasn't lost much weight...

the issue still remains--do you condone having a cheater on your team?? hell, if you've been a chargers fan for long, you've given sh*t to bronco fans for rooting for a team of f*cking cheaters... as a chiefs fan, I hate having welbourne on our team

if merriman cheated once, one would be hard pressed to say he wouldn't cheat again, this time with the 'hard to catch' steroids

you're ok with that?
Well, since 31 teams' fans have already proclaimed him a cheater, I feel I must give him the benefit of the doubt. I did not and will not call him a cheater. He is very talented and I guess the point im trying to get across is that its not the so called steroids that made him do what he did on the field during that time.

I am aware that this will always hang over his head. He took a big risk be not using the NFL recommended "supplements" and paid for it with his name and a 4 game suspension. As he should have. The issue now IMO is not wheather he knowingly used steroids or not, but the fact that people will assume he is still and always will be on "enhancers". Thats my argument.

Drunk
12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I would agree that anyone (on any team, even my Chiefs) who gets an in-season suspension should not be eligible for post season rewards. Be it Pro-Bowl or MVP or DPotY. By definition they have cheated and should lose any "extra" rewards that can be considered to have been enhanced with that cheating.

You can argue all day long as to whether Merriman gained anything from his illegal drug usage but the bottom line is that you can not prove it didn't aid him in achieving more than the guys who didn't cheat (or get caught, same difference IMO). You simply can not reward someone when that reward is potentially tainted in this manner.
Good argument.

Ebolapox
12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, since 31 teams' fans have already proclaimed him a cheater, I feel I must give him the benefit of the doubt. I did not and will not call him a cheater. He is very talented and I guess the point im trying to get across is that its not the so called steroids that made him do what he did on the field during that time.

I am aware that this will always hang over his head. He took a big risk be not using the NFL recommended "supplements" and paid for it with his name and a 4 game suspension. As he should have. The issue now IMO is not wheather he knowingly used steroids or not, but the fact that people will assume he is still and always will be on "enhancers". Thats my argument.

the problem I have with merriman is that we'll never know if his talent is 'god given' or 'supplemental'...

a bit off topic, but relevent none the less...

in the 80's, there was a guy who had unnatural speed and power... his musclebound body was considered the 8th wonder of the world, and his speed was right up there with that of rickey henderson

much like merriman--power/speed combination that is almost impossible to find

what was the guy's name?? jose canseco...

my point? it's simple, really... it's hard for me to look at it reasonably (and I'm ignoring the fact that he's a charger--I'm looking at this from a scientific standpoint) and say that merriman is anything but a product of the best supplement science has to offer us in an athlete, much like canseco was in the 80's

Mecca
12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Coches and players voted him in cuz they realize steroid use in the NFL is no big deal.

That's my feeling on it also, if coaches and other players don't think its a big deal and still vote for him then I'm not going to make a huge deal about it.

BigRock
12-28-2006, 03:38 PM
He has been tested BEFORE AND AFTER the dirty test. All times coming out negative.

Are questions like these supposed to help prove Merriman's innocence? Or just make it more clear that the masking agents failed him on the test where he got popped?

Say, whatever happened to Merriman suing the supplement company that gave him the dirty stuff that ruined his good name and his reputation? That story sure quieted down in a hurry.

Drunk
12-28-2006, 04:04 PM
QUOTE:

I look at the way Merriman conducted himself during his suspension. The man could have holed up in his crib and played PS3 all day long, or done the Ryan Leaf thing and taken an extended Vegas holiday. Merriman did not shine the spotlight upon himself during those 4 weeks, but instead chose to go to New Orleans to participate in some rebuilding projects. He conducted himself with class, both before and after the suspension, and it's important to remember that he has tested clean from the start of the season, the tainted results were from a test conducted in the offseason. His defensive stats for 2006 should not be asterisked, and his selection to the Pro bowl and other considerations are well earned. He cheated, knowingly or unknowingly, but he has served his suspension and the league is satisfied with his conformance.

Bwana
12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't think any player in the NFL should be a candidate for a post-season award if they have been caught using performance-enhancing materials...period.

Bingo :thumb:

StcChief
12-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Busted. No probowl, no contract incentive money, Nada.

1000 hrs community service in off season.

Go build more houses, soup kitchens etc.

You will learn NFL is privilege to play there.

macdawg
12-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Drunk, deca is by no means the strongest anabolic steroid in the world, but it is definetely not mild, you can pack on 30 lbs of muscle with it.

"He is very talented and I guess the point im trying to "get across is that its not the so called steroids that made him do what he did on the field during that time."

I agree he is talented no matter what, my issue is how he's lied to handle this. Say you messed up, thats all I'd expect. False positive for deca from creatine & protein are you ****ing kidding me?

"I look at the way Merriman conducted himself during his suspension. The man could have holed up in his crib and played PS3 all day long, or done the Ryan Leaf thing and taken an extended Vegas holiday. Merriman did not shine the spotlight upon himself during those 4 weeks, but instead chose to go to New Orleans to participate in some rebuilding projects."

Is that supposed to make us respect him more? LOL

"He conducted himself with class, both before and after the suspension, and it's important to remember that he has tested clean from the start of the season, the tainted results were from a test conducted in the offseason."

cheating & lying about it is not exactly what I'd call class.

He's going to lead the league in sacks from only 12 games, LMAO, he's just a very talented individual thats juicing like a whore to make him even better, his reputation won't suffer because of his millions of fans like you that will make excuse after excuse for him.

NJ Chief Fan
12-28-2006, 09:25 PM
vernon davis and and roidman been stickin each other in the ass with needles since theyve been teammates in maryland

El Jefe
12-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I also am skeptical of Vernon Davis. Remember though the pro bowl isnt only the coaches and players its the fans too. I say no accolades for anybody who is caught using anything that gives them an advantage over everyone else (using anything that is not allowed that is).

Mecca
12-28-2006, 09:57 PM
When has Vernon Davis tested positive for anything...accusing people of things is a bit much.

NJ Chief Fan
12-28-2006, 10:14 PM
When has Vernon Davis tested positive for anything...accusing people of things is a bit much.

yea its real natural for a guy to be 6'3 260 to run a 4.4 40 and by coincidence his freak of a college roomate just got busted for juicin

Mecca
12-28-2006, 10:17 PM
yea its real natural for a guy to be 6'3 260 to run a 4.4 40 and by coincidence his freak of a college roomate just got busted for juicin

He's never failed a test now has he.....if you wanna throw the unnatural card out there then most of the NFL is on something based on that. Hey personally I believe most of the NFL probably is on something it's just something I accept.

But to just blatantly accuse guys is retarded, I'm sure the whole Chiefs team is on roids to because Welbourne has been caught twice now........

Wile_E_Coyote
12-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Charger fans have been prepared for this, I can recall the hardons they got over Boston's biceps