PDA

View Full Version : Prioritize, what do you think are the offseason moves KC should make?

RedThat
12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Ok this is a tough one because we have soooo many problems as a team.

-I'll start off by saying this team could use a pair of defensive tackles.

-They could use an offensive tackle.

-They could use a wide receiver.

-They could use help at linebacker.

-They could use help at safety.

*I would like to see Peterson gone, but I dont think thats gonna happen anytime soon.

*Anyway, what do you think out of all those positions I mentioned above is the MOST important. How would you rank them in order from most important to least important?

patteeu
12-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Safety? They have two pretty decent rookies backing up their vet safeties this year. I'd say CB is more of an area of need than safety based on the fact that Surtain and Law are both old and they have no obvious heirs apparent. Having said that, I'd place top priority on help on both the offensive and defensive lines. DT on defense, Any of the line positions on offense.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
We could use just about everything.......I just wanna see them start cutting the dead weight loose, get younger start building a young core.

Redrum_69
12-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Post after post....

How many more of these are we going to see....when the season isnt even over yet

I cant wait for the Chiefs to win this weekend and everyone else loses and we get in the Playoffs.

Then this will quiet the bandwagoneer naysayers

ChiTown
12-28-2006, 01:42 PM
It should start with Carl Peterson resigning - everything after that is gravy.....

Reerun_KC
12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Post after post....

How many more of these are we going to see....when the season isnt even over yet

I cant wait for the Chiefs to win this weekend and everyone else loses and we get in the Playoffs.

That it would huh? Just glad I wouldnt have to pay the price like the real fans... Nothing like touting this awesome playoff team we fielded this year huh?

Deberg_1990
12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Post after post....

YOu really think they are going to the playoffs?? Not all those teams are going to lose and this will be like a playoff game to JAX as well.

They are 4-1 lifetime against us. Very high probability we lose to them on Sunday.

OnTheWarpath58
12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Agree with Patteau here.

OL and DT help are a must. First priority in my book.

I'd probably go WR next.

Followed by young depth at LB and CB.

Mecca
12-28-2006, 01:47 PM
YOu really think they are going to the playoffs?? Not all those teams are going to lose and this will be like a playoff game to JAX as well.

They are 4-1 lifetime against us. Very high probability we lose to them on Sunday.

How bad will Maurice Drew make our defense look this weekend.......

Reerun_KC
12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
How bad will Maurice Drew make our defense look this weekend.......

That dude is a stud for sure... Bye Bye Fred Taylor!

Mecca
12-28-2006, 01:52 PM
That dude is a stud for sure... Bye Bye Fred Taylor!

If he gets 105 yards they'll have 2 backs over 1000 yards.......now that's running the ball. Not giving 1 guy 400 carries......

RedThat
12-28-2006, 02:03 PM
If he gets 105 yards they'll have 2 backs over 1000 yards.......now that's running the ball. Not giving 1 guy 400 carries......

I just think the Chiefs should pass a little bit more.

But it you're talking about spreading the carries out, we could've used Michael Bennett more when he was playing, but he was injured half the time anyway. Priest Holmes wasn't with the Chiefs this year...It would've been nice if he was?

but thats the Chiefs, they only really have 1 guy to run the ball. LJ.

And the backups are just injury prone RB's.

It wouldn't be a bad idea if we drafted a RB this year. Considering the type of offense we run. And giving up a 4th rounder for MB, looks like a dumb move by Peterson. We coulda possibly used that pick to draft a RB?

88TG88
12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
first thing i would like to see is cutting the dead weight. that should send a message to other players that their job isnt safe. In the draft we should place it safe and not move up or down to far. take best avaliable players at postions we need improvement. in the FA market go after some big name FAs if we dont get them at least it sends a message to the fans that we want to get better

Zebedee DuBois
12-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I think a pair of productive DTs would do wonders for this defense. I really think that would help all the rest of the defensive groups.

Then strengthen the O-line

Then get some receivers.

BigVE
12-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Free agent DT/WR.
Draft DT,Oline,best available.
Resign Tony G.

StcChief
12-28-2006, 03:14 PM
LT (if Svitek isn't ready yet), DTs
try the already drafted OGs
WR (since Parker/Gardner aren't gonna get it) Think Tall.

BigVE
12-28-2006, 03:18 PM
LT (if Svitek isn't ready yet), DTs
try the already drafted OGs
WR (since Parker/Gardner aren't gonna get it) Think Tall.

We have tried a couple of the tall guys but they didnt have any speed....lets think tall and FAST!

Mr. Laz
12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
no offensive moves ..... i don't want Herman edwards spending all our team resources on stuff he doesn't know how to use.

Vermeil wasted all that money/picks trying to fix the defense when they problem was really him.

Herm should just build what he knows .... defense.

PinkFloyd
12-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Post after post....

ROFL That would be great.... Sad thing --- it will be hell all over on here when we get smashed 77-0 by whoever....

PinkFloyd
12-28-2006, 03:23 PM
We need a new equipment manager........ That dude flat out sucks ass !!!!!!!

:)

PastorMikH
12-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Looking forward to next season... (in order of importance IMO)

L OT - We MUST either get someone with our first round pick or spend on a FA.

DT - We need a big, mean DT that will play open throttle every down and draw double teams. I don't care if he doesn't get a lot of tackles or sacks, but if he can draw double teams, that will free up Hali and Allen on the ends.

WR - We need a legit #1 WR. Probably won't get a true #1 with the other needs unless one either drops in the draft or gets overlooked because of a small school like Allen did.

OT/OG - with the potential loss of Shields, I'd like to see us pick up a big OL for TR and/or Guard.

CB - We need some younger players in the wings. Surtain may be decent for another season or two. I'm not sure I want to go back down the Law road again unless he's really cheap. Even if Law is back, I'd rather see him as a nickle back and a younger CB starting. I'm not too sure about the younger CBs on the roster now.

ChiefsCountry
12-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Build the OL back up. A great OL can make average skill players look good.

Build the DT up. Good DTs and can make average linebackers awesome.

Get a cover LB. We need DJ to blitz the QB not play coverage all the time.

macdawg
12-28-2006, 03:29 PM
1. left tackle
2. defensive tackle
3. right tackle
4. defensive tackle
5. wide receiver
6. and soon we'll need a new right guard

beer bacon
12-28-2006, 03:43 PM
We pretty much need immediate help at both OT and DT. After that we need young WRs, CBs, and a center to groom for the future.

htismaqe
12-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Free agent priority should be OT and OG.

Draft priorities should be DL, LB, and CB.

KCChiefsFan88
12-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I was toying with the idea of making the big move to get a QB in here to replace (or eventually replace) Trent as the starter... but I don't like the options available to the Chiefs this offseason to do that. So my plan now would be to re-tool the offense around Trent as the starter...

1) Revamp the offensive line (new starting left tackle, a veteran to compete for starting right tackle and veteran guard to add depth).

2) Revamp the WR position (a new starting WR opposite Kennison and at least 2 WRs in the draft to enhance depth).

3) Add a Sam Adams/Keith Traylor type big body veteran on the interior of the D-line.

4) Dump Greg Wesley, Eric Hicks, Ryan Sims, William BURNTee, Lenny Walls, Dee Brown, Casey Printers, Brodie Croyle (this won't happen but I can't wait until the Chiefs end this futile "Croyle as QBOTF pipe dream).

htismaqe
12-29-2006, 12:45 PM
I was toying with the idea of making the big move to get a QB in here to replace (or eventually replace) Trent as the starter... but I don't like the options available to the Chiefs this offseason to do that. So my plan now would be to re-tool the offense around Trent as the starter...

1) Revamp the offensive line (new starting left tackle, a veteran to compete for starting right tackle and veteran guard to add depth).

2) Revamp the WR position (a new starting WR opposite Kennison and at least 2 WRs in the draft to enhance depth).

3) Add a Sam Adams/Keith Traylor type big body veteran on the interior of the D-line.

4) Dump Greg Wesley, Eric Hicks, Ryan Sims, William BURNTee, Lenny Walls, Dee Brown, Casey Printers, Brodie Croyle (this won't happen but I can't wait until the Chiefs end this futile "Croyle as QBOTF pipe dream).

Futile pipe dream? Care to explain why you feel that way?

OnTheWarpath58
12-29-2006, 12:59 PM

He has 2 picks in 7 pass attempts. He must be a failure...... :rolleyes:

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
We could use just about everything.......I just wanna see them start cutting the dead weight loose, get younger start building a young core.

Unfortunately you can't just cut guys because of the salary cap-lol

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
In the NFL, you can't win without a great defense.

Colts- Awesome offense-shitty D-lost 4 out of last 6

Bears-Awesome D/Shitty O- they look to be the NFC champs.

We should go all out on defense.

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 01:11 PM
We need a middle linebacker that does not fall for bootlegs and misdirection every time.

2 D tackles that can stop the run and collapse the pocket.

Replace Bell with someone that has speed enough to cover a TE.

We need a shut down corner that can cover the #1 WR, which would shift Surtain to #2 and TY to #3.

Start Page and Pollard.

See it is that simple.

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Sign Huard-then trade him for a second and forth. Resign Allen and LJ longterm. Franchise Tony then trade him for a #1 and #3. Draft heavy on D using our firsts for a pair of dominating D Tackles. Pick up a few FA O linemen and a pair of WR's.

Fire GUN and SOLARI!!!!

The Rick
12-29-2006, 01:20 PM
I've seen a lot of posts talking about how we need a right tackle. I think between Welbourne, Black, and Terry, we can find someone serviceable as long as we find a stud for the left side.

I think Shields will be gone, but his spot can be filled with either Welbourne or Black. We could also find a guard late in the draft since they are easy to come by there.

Ideally, I'd like to see next year's line be:

LT: stud FA or 1st/2nd round draft pick
LG: Waters
C: Wiegman
RG: Black (provided he can handle one more move)
RT: Terry/Welbourne (whoever wins)

As others have said, a stud DT is a must as well.

Once LT and DT are addressed, a WR is next on the list. The chances of us getting a #1 WR after the second round are minimal though. More than likely, if we draft a WR after the 2nd round we'll end up with another Sammie Parker/Jeff Webb type player that we seem to get every year.

Those 3 positions (LT, DT, & WR) should be our top priorities, but unless we get lucky, I don't see us finding starters at any of those positions if we're trying to draft any of them beyond the 2nd round. We're either going to have to find one of them in free agency, or, we're going to have to trade something to get an additional draft pick in the first or second round.

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Sign Huard-then trade him for a second and forth. Resign Allen and LJ longterm. Franchise Tony then trade him for a #1 and #3. Draft heavy on D using our firsts for a pair of dominating D Tackles. Pick up a few FA O linemen and a pair of WR's.

Fire GUN and SOLARI!!!!

I would resign Huard if he could be had at a reasonable backup price. That won't happen until he's had a chance to test the FA waters. He would be a great insurance policy for an aging Green and a kid that probably isn't ready to go all out yet.

FringeNC
12-29-2006, 01:21 PM
1. Fire Peterson
2. Fire Herm
3. Fire Gunther

None of the three will actually happen, so I am not sure it'll make one bit of difference what the "brain trust" at Arrowhead Drive does personnel-wise.

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Solari has been a HUGE MISTAKE-he goes right after GUN.

KCChiefsFan88
12-29-2006, 01:34 PM

He is injury prone, his downfield accuracy is garbage, he is a stiff in the pocket, he has the physical tools of Jay Fiedler, and his pocket presence is trash

Chief Nute
12-29-2006, 01:46 PM

Wow.....I guess that is the OTHER end of the spectrum, LOL. Most guys on here are ready to give Brodie the reigns of the offense, whereas I have always said that plugging him in there to "be the savior" would be the sign of a franchise that is reaching for straws. But I would not say that he has done anything that is worthy of being "dumped" Why would you dump the guy? I cant imagine that he is a huge salary burden and he is what he is, "a project". No need to throw him out to the wolves.....but no need to dump him.

Our problem right now is that we have a QB that is stuck in a system that may not allow him to do what he wants to do. Trent trys to make plays, and Herm is too much of a puss to try and let him make plays. Herm's system is one that says "lets not lose the game". Well that is fine and good, if you have the parts that will allow you to stay in games.....which we have some of those parts and lack in others. We have the running game to go out and pound weaker teams, and we have a defense that can withstand some weaker offensive teams.......but a play not to lose attitude isnt gonna cut it with this team, because we give up too many big plays.

My opinion, is that Trent would be just fine if the line would cooperate. Only problem is.....I think there is only one guy in the draft that could come right in and start and that is Joe Thomas from Wisconsin, and unfortunately we would have to trade way up to get him........and free agents dont look too promising either I dont think.

I do think that we need a playmaker at WR......because I really dont think that in Herm's so called "offense" we can stick with the guys we have.....we need a Santana Moss type that runs quick sharp routes.

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Saw on a link from MSN's home page today concerning the Chiefs (I think it went to sports illustrated or fox sports website but I can't remember now and it isn't up anymore)

Anyhow, the author was speculating who KC's QB would be next year, Green, Croyle or Leftwich????

I guess he seemed to think that we would be interested in Leftwich. Anyone else hear anything on this?

OnTheWarpath58
12-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Saw on a link from MSN's home page today concerning the Chiefs (I think it went to sports illustrated or fox sports website but I can't remember now and it isn't up anymore)

Anyhow, the author was speculating who KC's QB would be next year, Green, Croyle or Leftwich????

I guess he seemed to think that we would be interested in Leftwich. Anyone else hear anything on this?

Leftwich!?!?!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

And people here complain about Trent?

Whoever wrote that should get a pink slip for New Year's

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Leftwich!?!?!

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

And people here complain about Trent?

Whoever wrote that should get a pink slip for New Year's

Well, that's kinda what I was thinking when I read the article. Why in the world would we want him?

I finally found a link to Fox sports that the info under the link looked like the article. When I clicked the link, the article was pulled.

:shrug:

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Leftwich-might as well trade for Ron Mexico.

Chief Faithful
12-29-2006, 03:06 PM
The problem I see is the Chiefs need a DT, WR, and LT from the 1st round. Given Herm's approach to the game I think the top priority should be Defense, but if the player isn't there then don't reach.

I say go for whichever position is the shortest reach and pray that player is a DT or LT. No high potential guys that need to develop go after the guy that can play now like they did with Hali.

penchief
12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
1. Left Offensive Tackle

2. Monster Defensive Tackle

3. Cornerback

4. Wide Receiver

5. Center of the Future

6. Right Offensive Tackle

7. Middle Linebacker

8. Right Guard of the Future

9. Tight End of the Future

10. Another Defensive Tackle

11. Another Cornerback

12. Another Quarterback of the Future.

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 03:12 PM
don't reach.

I think that is a lot of why our drafts in the DV era have suffered. DV loved the underdog projects. We passed over a lot good players for people who had POTENTIAL to be great but couldn't be developed.

We need players, not projects.

penchief
12-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I say go for whichever position is the shortest reach and pray that player is a DT or LT. No high potential guys that need to develop go after the guy that can play now like they did with Hali.

I think that may be the difference in Herm's approach and Dick's philosophy. Production matters.

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 03:16 PM
SHOOT! Wrong thread. :banghead:

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 03:16 PM
SHOOT! Wrong thread. :banghead:

milkman
12-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Sign Huard-then trade him for a second and forth.

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Can you send me some of that good shit?

I doubt that even Hootie would expect this in a trade for Huard.

Mecca
12-29-2006, 07:38 PM
LMAO LMAO LMAO

Can you send me some of that good shit?

I doubt that even Hootie would expect this in a trade for Huard.

It's Halfcan.......

milkman
12-29-2006, 07:39 PM
first thing i would like to see is cutting the dead weight. that should send a message to other players that their job isnt safe. In the draft we should place it safe and not move up or down to far. take best avaliable players at postions we need improvement. in the FA market go after some big name FAs if we dont get them at least it sends a message to the fans that we want to get better

Throwing money at big name FAs isn't the way to build a team.

Build the team through the draft, then fill holes with role players.

Mecca
12-29-2006, 07:40 PM

Build the team through the draft, then fill holes with role players.

We've all been watching Carl for years.......and he's assbackwards. We try to build in FA and fill in through the draft.......hence why our team is always so old.

milkman
12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
He is injury prone, his downfield accuracy is garbage, he is a stiff in the pocket, he has the physical tools of Jay Fiedler, and his pocket presence is trash

Yeah, that Fieldler has a nice strong arm, doesn't he?

And how the hell can you even begin to observe a QB's pocket presense when he never had a freakin' pocket?

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Carl agrees. That's why he throws money at the perennial second stringers instead.

milkman
12-29-2006, 07:43 PM
It's Halfcan.......

I know.

I like the guy.

He's my favorite dumbass.

milkman
12-29-2006, 07:44 PM
We've all been watching Carl for years.......and he's assbackwards. We try to build in FA and fill in through the draft.......hence why our team is always so old.

What pisses me off is that we keep throwing draft picks at teams for aging vets and has been/never were coaches.

Mecca
12-29-2006, 07:45 PM
What pisses me off is that we keep throwing draft picks at teams for aging vets and has been/never were coaches.

And no one will complain about it because of Carls awful draft record......."probably better than he would have picked anyway"

keg in kc
12-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Acquire a franchise left tackle in free agency or via trade. Draft a DT, CB and WR in the first three rounds, in no particular order, unless an absolute beast at another position (other than RB) lands in our lap. Continue to develop the young players on the roster, continue to turn the atmosphere/attitude of the team from what Vermeil instilled to what Edwards wants.

Mecca
12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I'd like to hear this franchise LT that is available...teams don't just give them away.

milkman
12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Acquire a franchise left tackle in free agency or via trade. Draft a DT, CB and WR in the first three rounds, in no particular order, unless an absolute beast at another position (other than RB) lands in our lap. Continue to develop the young players on the roster, continue to turn the atmosphere/attitude of the team from what Vermeil instilled to what Edwards wants.

Are there any franchise LT's hitting the FA market this offseason?

If not, what do trade away to get one?

Mecca
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Are there any franchise LT's hitting the FA market this offseason?

If not, what do trade away to get one?

No.....there's not. There's guys like Max Starks. And even if there were teams don't let those guys go. Notice how many times Pace and Jones got hit with the franchise tag. No one is just going to trade their elite LT unless you are going to offer the farm.....

keg in kc
12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
You don't go for Pace or Jones, you go for someone with some risk but a high upside, the way we did with Roaf, where you can trade mid-round picks, and/or make the trade contingent on future performance.

Who that is, I don't know...