PDA

View Full Version : "Player Friendly" Camp...

Easy 6
12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Barring a one in a million aligning of the stars, :arrow: will be sitting at home in January, so its not too soon IMO to look at 07 and hope that Herm HEAVILY modify his summer camp.

Herms teams have been notoriously slow starters & i believe a lot of that stems from the light & fast "friendly" atmosphere at camp. I understand being more judicious with TG, Will & other vets at times, thats just common sense. But i hope the rest of these jokers get their ass's HANDED to'em ATLEAST once a day all camp long.

We looked flat & slow against the bungles, just like his Jets looked opening day 05 against us. Fresh legs in Nov.& Dec. dont help much when you start 0-2 - 0-3 & if we gotta kick the crap outta each other all damn summer to be Ready for Primetime in 07 then so be it.

I dont think its mere coincidence that Payton nearly buried the Saints this year & then they, the Saints!?!?, open up hot on the ROAD. Tough camps are a time tested way to ditch the "soft" perception/mentality/ reality thats been haunting clubs like NO & regrettably here as well, for a long time.

Camp Gravy is DEAD.

07's Camp Motto - "The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves :cuss: "

OnTheWarpath58
12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I spent 3 days at River Falls this year.

Trust me, these guys are working.

They're just not doing it for 3 hours like when DV was here.

Rudy lost the toss
12-29-2006, 02:49 PM
the reason the chiefs have lost 3 of the last 4 games are because they are still tired from DV's camps. DV was just too hard for the players. Herm is god and he knows what he is doing. another year to recover from DVs practices and this team will be 19-0.

Halfcan
12-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Camp should be tough and grueling-not a cream puff like Herms summer sleepover camp.

TN_Chief
12-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Read the recent SI.com article/interview with Joe Horn (Saints WR) and his experience at Sean Payton's first training camp. Now consider the turnaround that's taken place this year in New Orleans.

If you can't work your ass off boot camp-style for 3 weeks, then just give up the millions you prissy mother****ers.

Shootr
12-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Read the recent SI.com article/interview with Joe Horn (Saints WR) and his experience at Sean Payton's first training camp. Now consider the turnaround that's taken place this year in New Orleans.

If you can't work your ass off boot camp-style for 3 weeks, then just give up the millions you prissy mother****ers.

I don't suppose Brees, Bush, Colston, and a healthy Deuce had anything to do with the Saint's turnaround.

I agree with Warpath. I have been to camp the last 5 years. Herm's practices were shorter than DV's, but they were much more intense. DV's were long, but there was much more standing around. Training camp was not the problem with this team.

Easy 6
12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I havent tied Herm to the tracks yet, we still need some pieces to see what he can really do with this team & Roaf couldnt be helped.

But these stats, while not quite as bad as i remembered, are erratic at best.

01- Lose opener 24-45

02- Opening win, 4 straight Losses

03- Drop first 4

04- A good year, 5 straight W's

05- L, W, L, L

06- A lousy performance even BEFORE Trent's hit.

A quick start is everything IMO.

HonestChieffan
12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Herm make plan. Herm no change.
Play to win.
Get on Bus.
Herm knows.

Same old Herm.

KC-TBB
12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
LJ to HE...'I THINK I SPEAK FOR THE ENTIRE PLATOON WHEN I SAY WE WOULD LIKE TO SLEEP IN THIS MORNIING...'

El Jefe
12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
You can have a physical camp without doing tackling drills on each other every single practice. But point is well noted and seems to be pretty well backed with the statistics, overall a pretty good piece mr. scott free.

PastorMikH
12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
RUN 'EM INTO THE GROUND!!! THOSE THAT CAN GET BACK UP GET TO STAY!!!

Adept Havelock
12-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Camp should be tough and grueling-not a cream puff like Herms summer sleepover camp.

I'd like to see how you hold up over the course of Herm's "summer sleepover camp".

OnTheWarpath58
12-29-2006, 03:59 PM
I'd like to see how you hold up over the course of Herm's "summer sleepover camp".

I'm guessing the bike ride from the dorms to the practice facility would be a struggle.

HonestChieffan
12-29-2006, 04:00 PM
But Herm wants to be a "players Coach" Come on lets all hold hands

TN_Chief
12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Here's the problem with being a "player friendly" coach: once you've gone down that road, you can never become a disciplinarian. If you start out hard-core and strict you can always relax a bit here and there as a reward or ease up overall if absolutely necessary. But it's essentially impossible to go the other way...you either won't have anyone that'll take you seriously when you try to crack down or you'll lose the team because they'll resent it.

Anyone that's ever worked with kids or been a successful coach at any level knows this.

TN_Chief
12-29-2006, 04:32 PM
And before anyone gets started on a "these are grown men" tangent...bullshit. That may be true from a chronological and physical standpoint, but from emotional, intellectual, etc. standpoints most of these guys are stuck in adolescence. I've hung out with enough of them (though not Chiefs I admit) to know.