PDA

View Full Version : Keep Mr. Shields Another Season Or Two

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:01 AM
No, he's not All Pro. He's not really a Pro Bowler anymore, either.

But does anybody here think Willie can't compete anymore?

The guy will age another year, but like this year, he'll be solid in 2007. Not great, but solid.

We need a new OL, folks. We need to bring Terry along, rescusitate Mr. Sampson back off the PUP list and back into the really good RT he was early in 2006, and see if Siavii is any good.

But chances are, we need two brand new starters on this line. At least. Center, both tackles. Those are our big holes.

If Shields returns, we don't have yet another hole to fill. He'll play solid, and we can concentrate on the other positions this offseason.

Agree? Disagree? Knock me off my high horse.

PastorMikH
12-30-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't think its an issue of letting Shields come back or not. I think it has more to do with him wanting to come back or not.

Roaf was a key factor in him coming back this year. Then Roaf quit. The ONLY thing I can see Will coming back for is the pride of wanting to go out on a high note - and this year's OL performance hasn't been exactly spectacular. But then again, that might give him all the more reason to hang it up.

It would be great to have him back, but it will be up to him and I don't know if he will be willing to come back or not.

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't think its an issue of letting Shields come back or not. I think it has more to do with him wanting to come back or not.

Roaf was a key factor in him coming back this year. Then Roaf quit. The ONLY thing I can see Will coming back for is the pride of wanting to go out on a high note - and this year's OL performance hasn't been exactly spectacular. But then again, that might give him all the more reason to hang it up.

It would be great to have him back, but it will be up to him and I don't know if he will be willing to come back or not.
Do you think the relief he'd bring us at RG is worth Carl throwing some $ at him to entice him into staying?

cdcox
12-30-2006, 12:09 AM
We saw this movie last year. I remember the ending. He ends up retiring, even though we want him to stay.

Deberg_1990
12-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Cant we just let the man retire in peace if he wants to???

Its time to get younger.....

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Roaf was an amazing player, but he wasn't the iron man Shields is.

I just can't see Shields sitting down. Nor should CP let him, IMO.

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Cant we just let the man retire in peace if he wants to???

Its time to get younger.....
Let the man retire "in peace"? We're not crank calling him or egging his house, we're having conversation with him.

I'm sorry, but if he can seriously help our team if he stays (and there's no question there), he should stay. Our OL needs too much of a facelift for us to have to worry about RG, too.

PastorMikH
12-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Do you think the relief he'd bring us at RG is worth Carl throwing some $ at him to entice him into staying?

I think the ONLY thing left that could really make a difference is if Shields believed that he could get a ring. He's been around so long, he has $. The ring is the one thing left he doesn't have.

Deberg_1990
12-30-2006, 12:17 AM
Let the man retire "in peace"? We're not crank calling him or egging his house, we're having conversation with him.

I'm sorry, but if he can seriously help our team if he stays (and there's no question there), he should stay. Our OL needs too much of a facelift for us to have to worry about RG, too.

Why are Chiefs fans so afraid to rebuild?? I dont get it??

Honestly, this has always been a part of our problem.....

ChiefFan31
12-30-2006, 12:19 AM
He ain't coming back.

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I think the ONLY thing left that could really make a difference is if Shields believed that he could get a ring. He's been around so long, he has $. The ring is the one thing left he doesn't have.
Fair point.

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:20 AM
He ain't coming back.
Not a substantive controbution. :p

thedude
12-30-2006, 12:21 AM

Rebuilding doesn't exist in football like it does in other sports.

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:21 AM

Not afraid to rebuild. I just don't think it's time to.

When you have the foundation for a great house, you don't scrap it. You put up some damn walls.

Easy 6
12-30-2006, 12:27 AM
Hell Yeah i want Will back for another year. For a simplistic view, i have him rated 89 on Madden.

Has lost some speed & quicks, but strength is still solid & awareness is topped out at 99. He can get it done again.

If he goes, then Welbourn should be able to fill in admirably for him

PastorMikH
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM

1. Rebuilding takes several years of suffering and we aren't willing to endure that process

2. Rebuilding means players are going to make mistakes. KC fans aren't patient enough with some of the positions - like QB for example.

3. We haven't been able to judge talent well enough in the last decade to pull off a quality rebuild.

4. We are still waiting for Carl's last rebuilding plan to be completed.

Direckshun
12-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Can we at least admit we have a foundation for a great team?

Unbelievable running back, two solid QBs, and a strong defense that's only going to get better?

Why rebuild now?

orange
12-30-2006, 01:19 AM
If Shields comes back for one year, and the Chiefs go nowhere, that's a year wasted that could have gone to one of the young players getting experience and showing whether he's the real deal.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Can we at least admit we have a foundation for a great team?

Unbelievable running back, two solid QBs, and a strong defense that's only going to get better?

Why rebuild now?

........That's all well and good till you realize.....RB is the easiest position to fill in the NFL now. Those QB's are both old...Trent past 35 Damon near 35...and that defense is not strong. It has a few nice players but nothing to make you take notice that it's a great playmaking unit.

Kerberos
12-30-2006, 05:20 AM
No, he's not All Pro. He's not really a Pro Bowler anymore, either.

But does anybody here think Willie can't compete anymore?

The guy will age another year, but like this year, he'll be solid in 2007. Not great, but solid.

We need a new OL, folks. We need to bring Terry along, rescusitate Mr. Sampson back off the PUP list and back into the really good RT he was early in 2006, and see if Siavii is any good.

But chances are, we need two brand new starters on this line. At least. Center, both tackles. Those are our big holes.

If Shields returns, we don't have yet another hole to fill. He'll play solid, and we can concentrate on the other positions this offseason.

Agree? Disagree? Knock me off my high horse.

See if he is any good at WHAT?

The dude has been released. :whackit:

Yes we need new linemen.....not has beens and never will be' IMO.

Warrior5
12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm really not trying to be flippant in my response.

As PastorMike stated, it's not an issue of the Chiefs keeping Shields; it's about Shields deciding to stay or retire. The man was talked out of retirement last year by the man who then turned around and retired. He's old. The only thing he has left to play for is a ring, and that ain't happening next year.

You asked, "Why rebuild?" The answer is the Chiefs have no choice but to rebuild. Minus Waters and Wiegman, the O-line is a shambles.

Two solid QBs? If you want to call Green solid, knock yourself out. And Huard is a UFA essentially after tomorrow's game. Carl would be stupid to keep both of them.

As far as your comment about Siavii...WTH was that about?

penguinz
12-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Minus Waters and Wiegman, the O-line is a shambles.

I think you can remove Wiegman to that also. If we are going to be a power running team we need a different center than Wiegman.

crazycoffey
12-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I think you can remove Wiegman to that also. If we are going to be a power running team we need a different center than Wiegman.
Really, I didn't think Casey was one of our O-line problems

Warrior5
12-30-2006, 09:56 AM

I won't disagree with you for the long term; I was addressing Direkshun's proposal to not rebuild next year.

We have far bigger O-line problems than Casey Wiegman.

milkman
12-30-2006, 10:00 AM
As far as your comment about Siavii...WTH was that about?

I'm guessing, since his comments in that paragraph were O-Line specific, he intended to say "Svitek".

Warrior5
12-30-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm guessing, since his comments in that paragraph were O-Line specific, he intended to say "Svitek".

Quite astute, milkman; thanks. Now that is a good question, because Svitek evidently tears it up in Europe, yet can't start at RT.

milkman
12-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Quite astute, milkman; thanks. Now that is a good question, because Svitek evidently tears it up in Europe, yet can't start at RT.

I think a big part of the problem is that Svitek, like Black before him, is being shuffled back and forth.

Jordan Black, a guy that has played O-Line for years, struggled with the constant shuffling.

Since he (Black) has settled inot the one spot, his play, while still less than stellar, has improved and he's shown some consistency.

Svitek is a converted project, and the coaching staff doesn't feel that he needs to settle into one spot?

StcChief
12-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Love to see Will Shields back, soul of the Oline. especially if Favre hangs its up (which I doubt)

Consistency in that line is key. Black could work out at LT.
RT? Turley NO the experiment failed.
Welbourne move RG if Shields hangs it up.
Leaving RT???? Sampson/Svitek/Terry ?

the young draftees Rudy Niswanger Tre Stallings need to develop

Bober isn't impressive.

B_Ambuehl
12-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back. He has moved better this year than last year IMO. Looks rejuvenated out there.

trndobrd
12-30-2006, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back. He has moved better this year than last year IMO. Looks rejuvenated out there.

He does seem to be moving better than he did this time last year. If we do bring in new, younger linemen, that is all the more reason to keep him for another year. He can add consistency and work ethic to a young line.

As others have said, it is a question of whether he wants to come back or not. Shields at 80% > most NFL offensive linemen

wazu
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd rather he went ahead and retired. Things need to get worse before they will get better. And I mean much, much worse.

Toad
12-30-2006, 04:13 PM

Don't forget about the consecutive starts string thingy. He is second behind Farve. If Farve retires, he could play one more season...

Short Leash Hootie
12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Roaf was 100 times more important to our football team than Will Shields.