PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Two draft Picks for Jags and Chiefs...

Deberg_1990
12-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Good read....Sims making excuses once again....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16349223.htm

Desperate for a star defensive tackle in the 2002 draft, the Chiefs decided early on that their man would be North Carolina’s Ryan Sims. They even traded up a couple of spots in the first round to ensure they would get Sims with the sixth pick.

They preferred Sims to another powerful defensive tackle, John Henderson of Tennessee. The Chiefs believed the 6-foot-7 Henderson wouldn’t be a consistent player because he was too tall and thus too susceptible to being knocked off his feet by blocks aimed at his legs.

Henderson, known as Big John, was selected three spots later by Jacksonville. It’s obvious the Chiefs made the wrong call, and they will receive another reminder Sunday when they play the Jaguars at Arrowhead Stadium.

Henderson is a former Pro Bowler who will start and be a key factor in one of the NFL’s best defenses. Henderson was selected as a Pro Bowl alternate this season, though his coach believes Henderson had his best season.

Sims, a backup, won’t play much. He’ll bide his time and wait for his offseason release so he can continue his career with another team.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, are sure to draft a defensive tackle in a high round again or sign one in free-agency or maybe both.

There’s no telling where the Chiefs might be had they opted for Henderson instead of Sims. They might still be 8-7 and chasing a wild-card spot, needing not only to beat the Jaguars on Sunday but also to receive a trifecta of results: losses by the Broncos, Titans and Bengals.

This much is for sure: Defensive tackle is the biggest hole in their defense. The Chiefs are filling it with high-energy players in James Reed and Ron Edwards, but they aren’t run-stoppers and pocket-crashers like Henderson.

“I play with this guy every Sunday, so I know what he does for this team,” Jacksonville running back Fred Taylor said. “A lot of people don’t realize, don’t see the little things he does on every snap.

“John demands a lot of attention. With the set of linebackers you guys have up there and the veteran leadership you have in the secondary, he would help the edge pass rushers you guys have get to the quarterback quicker because he always draws double-team attention. And in the run game, he’s always a presence.

“That’s all just wishful thinking, because we have him and we’re not letting him go.”

Henderson is half of Jacksonville’s star tandem at defensive tackle along with Marcus Stroud, who was drafted the year before Henderson. Stroud is a three-time Pro Bowler.

The Chiefs, despite extensive efforts that included the drafting of Sims and the since-departed Eric Downing, Eddie Freeman and Junior Siavii, and the free-agent signings of Reed, Edwards and the since-departed Lional Dalton, have been unable to find that kind of player.

“If you pick a guy that high, you’ve got to make sure he’s the right fit and you’re going to use him the way he’s going to play the best,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “(Jacksonville has) two guys in there. It’s not just (Henderson). They’ve kind of built around him. If you get two big guys like that, the linebackers can run to the ball because you’ve got to double-team those guys. If you’ve got two guys taking up two bodies, guess what? The numbers are in your favor defensively.

“He’s done a good job that way. He’s a very consistent player. He does a good job of pushing the pocket so the quarterback can’t step up and throw. That’s a key for your pass rush.”

The Chiefs asked a lot of Sims, and rightfully so, because he was the sixth player selected in that 2002 draft. They planned to build their defense around him, but early in his career surrounded him with players who were either aging, not very talented or didn’t fit in the system.

Sims never developed into the kind of player Henderson has become. A lengthy and contentious rookie contract situation and a couple of significant injuries didn’t help.

“Big John had a lot of help down there,” Sims said. “I had nobody here with me when I first got here. Things just didn’t work out for me here, and they did for him there. If the situations had been reversed, maybe they would have worked out for me and not for him.

“It’s different being the first piece of the puzzle rather than the last piece of the puzzle. When I came in, they were asking me to do all of this with no help. At the time, there was no emphasis on the defense.”

That changed when the Chiefs hired Edwards as their coach this year. But it’s too late for Sims, who hasn’t given the kind of serious effort that Edwards wanted to see.

Henderson, meanwhile, hasn’t missed a game in five seasons. The Jaguars are second in the league in total defense, third in rushing defense and fourth in scoring defense.

He helped keep the line together after Stroud and Jacksonville’s top pass rusher, Reggie Hayward, missed significant portions of the season because of injuries.

“Big John really kind of willed things along and really helped some of the young guys play well around him,” Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said.

“He makes it difficult for people to run on in the middle. It’s difficult to throw through him because he’s so tall that he knocks a lot of balls down. He’s not a big sack guy, but he does affect the game in a positive way for us.”

the Talking Can
12-30-2006, 12:07 PM
sigh....

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2006, 12:10 PM
“Big John had a lot of help down there,” Sims said. “I had nobody here with me when I first got here. Things just didn’t work out for me here, and they did for him there. If the situations had been reversed, maybe they would have worked out for me and not for him.

Good God, shut the F**K up fatass. When you are drafted SIXTH OVERALL in the freaking draft it is expected that you are going to be the foundation to build a defense around. Maybe if your fat head wasn't stuffed with cholesterol and donuts you'd comprehend that.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 12:12 PM
LOL.......John Henderson was the 2nd good player on that defense when he was drafted, it was him and Stroud. To act like he was surrounded by good players like Sims is doing is assinine. Ryan Sims is a dipshit, just once I'd like to hear him say he sucks because he's a lazy piece of shit.

the Talking Can
12-30-2006, 12:13 PM
if Sims didn't want to be the man, he could of asked to be drafted later...he could have refused to the money...****ing pussy ass loser ****

Sure-Oz
12-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I can't wait till that douche is released, what a bust

Deberg_1990
12-30-2006, 12:18 PM
I dont think the Chiefs did their homework on Sims before the draft. I think DV just took his old buddy Buntings advice and got too enamored.

Hindsite is 20/20 but damn, they should have at least dug further into his background, motivation (or lack therof) and what makes him tick. They might not have gotten burned so bad.

There were alot of good players that got picked after him too......

Mecca
12-30-2006, 12:18 PM
I wonder if he calls John Bunting everyday and thanks him for telling his pal DV to pick him.

Sure-Oz
12-30-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that Peppers guy made him a tad bit more successful than he was. obviously

StcChief
12-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Just keep dragging this out rubbing Salt in our wounds,

We know/have known for some time Sims is bust.
The contract/cap. Thanks Bunting/DV.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I dont think the Chiefs did their homework on Sims before the draft. I think DV just took his old buddy Buntings advice and got too enamored.

Hindsite is 20/20 but damn, they should have at least dug further into his background, motivation (or lack therof) and what makes him tick. They might not have gotten burned so bad.

There were alot of good players that got picked after him too......

The draft pick of Sims is a perfect example of the Chiefs......they didn't look at production they looked at "prototype"......."John Hendersons to tall" didn't care that he was the best player on a much better team in a much better conference and was dominant for his entire college career....

siberian khatru
12-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Translation: "I need Julius Peppers to make me look good."

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I see similarities...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/unc/galleries/m-sc-101603a/a-sims-101603a.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/2/20/Stay-puff-marshmellow-man-original-toy.jpg

crazycoffey
12-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I see similarities...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/unc/galleries/m-sc-101603a/a-sims-101603a.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/2/20/Stay-puff-marshmellow-man-original-toy.jpg

ROFL no way

but I bet the stay puff could get to the QB

OnTheWarpath58
12-30-2006, 12:46 PM
ROFL no way

but I bet the stay puff could get to the QB

So could Sims if you covered the QB in Krispy Kreme glaze....

Hoover
12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I think Henderson slipping in the draft is much like DJ's. We said he was too big, and had questions about his knees and back. We simply over thought on Henderson.

Wa-Z
12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
His legs don't even look built.

TRR
12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
John Henderson was the better player then, and he's definitely the better player now. I hardly heard of Sims until the combine rolled around. Henderson was a beast at Tennessee.

I think a lot of teams will be writing the same thing about Derrick Johnson in a couple of years.

cdcox
12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
The draft pick of Sims is a perfect example of the Chiefs......they didn't look at production they looked at "prototype"......."John Hendersons to tall" didn't care that he was the best player on a much better team in a much better conference and was dominant for his entire college career....

In fairness, Henderson was ranked way above any other DT early in his college career. He won the Outland in 2000. Had he come out in the 2001 draft, he would have been a top 3 pick. He suffered an injury in 2001, and didn't recapture his dominance in his Senior season.

There were 4 DT considered to be worthy of a top 15 draft pick that year. Most viewed Henderson as being the biggest risk, but potentially the biggest reward. Sims was viewed as the safest choice. This evaluation was by the draft services, so the Chiefs were not out of line here. They took the wrong guy, but most teams would have made the same choice given picking the two straight up.

The big mistake KC made was trading up to get him. You can't afford to do that when the player turns out to be a bust.

Deberg_1990
12-30-2006, 01:00 PM
In fairness, Henderson was ranked way above any other DT early in his college career. He won the Outland in 2000. Had he come out in the 2001 draft, he would have been a top 3 pick. He suffered an injury in 2001, and didn't recapture his dominance in his Senior season.

There were 4 DT considered to be worthy of a top 15 draft pick that year. Most viewed Henderson as being the biggest risk, but potentially the biggest reward. Sims was viewed as the safest choice. This evaluation was by the draft services, so the Chiefs were not out of line here. They took the wrong guy, but most teams would have made the same choice given picking the two straight up.

The big mistake KC made was trading up to get him. You can't afford to do that when the player turns out to be a bust.

Lord, how i wish the Vikings hadnt been been late to the podium....i wonder who we would have drafted then??

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2006, 01:04 PM
John Henderson was the better player then, and he's definitely the better player now. I hardly heard of Sims until the combine rolled around. Henderson was a beast at Tennessee.

I think a lot of teams will be writing the same thing about Derrick Johnson in a couple of years.

I kind of have a bad feeling about DJ. I don't think he'll be as good as he is right now, and that's not worth the 15th pick in the draft. I'd GLADLY like to be proven wrong.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Lord, how i wish the Vikings hadnt been been late to the podium....i wonder who we would have drafted then??

Probably someone just like Sims. ROFL

cdcox
12-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I kind of have a bad feeling about DJ. I don't think he'll be as good as he is right now, and that's not worth the 15th pick in the draft. I'd GLADLY like to be proven wrong.

??? You think he is going to get worse? What makes you think that?

OnTheWarpath58

Roy Williams or Henderson?

Mecca
Probably someone just like Sims. ROFL

Knowing us it would have been Wendell Bryant.....of the 4 the 2 Tennessee players are the ones that are good.

FringeNC
12-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Sims is a total bust obviously. The guy has never shown anything. He'll be lucky to be in the league next year.

It's hard to give CP a hard time over one draft pick...but over the long haul, there is a large enough sample size to indicate he doesn't draft well.

If he lets his coaches choose, there is evidence he shouldn't.

Carl has just been terrible at his job lately. Had Vermeil not brought in Green, Holmes, and Roaf, the team that Carl handed to Vermeil was shit, and we'd have had terrible records...Carl has to be the only guy in the NFL who you could hand the best offense in the league for 4 years straight, and he was completely unable to acquire any real defensive talent to make them even mediocre.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2006, 01:11 PM
This Sunday, Trent is going to find it hard throwing over Henderson. LOL, he'll probably pick him off.

cdcox
12-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Carl has to be the only guy in the NFL who you could hand the best offense in the league for 4 years straight, and he was completely unable to acquire any real defensive talent to make them even mediocre.

Colts.

Mecca
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Colts.

We don't have 3 guys on offense who make 100 million dollars a piece to deal with on our cap like they do.....

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2006, 01:15 PM
??? You think he is going to get worse? What makes you think that?

Not worse. I think he'll stay the same, which is solid, but not worth the 15th pick in the draft. Hope I'm wrong, which I usually am lol.

cdcox
12-30-2006, 01:17 PM
We don't have 3 guys on offense who make 100 million dollars a piece to deal with on our cap like they do.....

And who put a gun to their head to make them do that? Was Carl more savy for being able to assemble a top offense without putting his defense in salary cap hell? You can't have it both ways.

OnTheWarpath58
12-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Sims is a total bust obviously. The guy has never shown anything. He'll be lucky to be in the league next year.

It's hard to give CP a hard time over one draft pick...but over the long haul, there is a large enough sample size to indicate he doesn't draft well.

Yeah, I'd say this is large enough.....

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/chiefs.html

Six drafts between 1997-2002. What do we have to show for them?

Gonzalez, Wesley, Dante and Sims. Warfield was a more than serviceable 7th rounder. But he's gone now. 4 guys on the active roster.

That's it.

5 Players in 6 years. Not drafting well is an understatement.

But in his defense, had he not basically ignored DV, we wouldn't have LJ, and things would really be in the shitter. Hopefully the past 2.5 drafts are more evidence of what's to come....he's done surprisingly well.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-30-2006, 01:23 PM
And who put a gun to their head to make them do that? Was Carl more savy for being able to assemble a top offense without putting his defense in salary cap hell? You can't have it both ways.

You can't have it both ways, but that's what makes personnel moves and drafting so critical. Something the Colts and Chiefs haven't done well on the defensive side of the ball, with the exception of a couple players on both teams like Freeney, and Jared Allen.

FringeNC
12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Colts.

How many playoff wins and appearances do the Colts have? They didn't lose to Pittsburgh because of a bad defense last year, the offense choked.

Colts are similar, but have achieved more with less resources to spend on defense. Did Carl ever have a high-powered offense before or after Vermeil? No, so it's hard to give Carl much credit there. Carl's handling of the defense when Vermeil was here was a disgrace. Not improving, re-hiring Gun, not upgrading the talent going into '04, etc. Just an absolute disgrace.

Bowser
12-30-2006, 01:28 PM
*sigh*

siberian khatru
12-30-2006, 01:30 PM
*sigh*

You're demonstrating admirable restraint. Me, I wanted to take a sledgehammer and bash Sims' skull in like a melon, Gallagher-style.

blueballs
12-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I wonder if his girlfriend buys Rediwhip by the case

blueballs
12-30-2006, 01:57 PM
the girl with the grin
from ear to ear

Baby Lee
12-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Anyone else flash on the image of Sims crying like a bitch when the bad man stuck him for those tattoos?

I actually fear Sims is an Alonzo Spellman in the making [and not the good years when he was a productive player].

Sure-Oz
12-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Spellman could've been a real beast, too bad for him. Sims i wouldn't even put in a Spellman class, thats pretty bad.

morphius
12-30-2006, 03:10 PM
That really isn't an excuse any different then what we had done with large parts of our cap going to Roaf/Gonzo/Shields/Priest/Green... You don't get a bye just because you spent too much on the offense.

banyon
12-30-2006, 03:28 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaK_TArMLfM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HaK_TArMLfM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Count Zarth
12-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Sims lacks the work ethic to be a good player in the NFL.

Just look at this soft bitch. Here he is as a rookie:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/843/03bn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Now look at the fat turd he is today:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3893/52172265do8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KCChiefsFan88
12-30-2006, 07:11 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3893/52172265do8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sims must have spotted a Krispe Kreme truck in this picture

Rain Man
12-30-2006, 07:22 PM

I think it would've been McKinnie the prostitute licker.

Iowanian
12-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe Jax can give his ass a ride out of KC on the team plane.

Hopefully the Practice squad is packing Sims' belongings while he's warming the bench.

Fat, whining bidge.

htismaqe
12-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Henderson does play next to the BEST DT IN THE GAME. He's not all that.

But Ryan Sims might be one of the worst draft picks ever.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Does anyone have the feeling Sims is going to go somewhere else and be good (maybe not great, but good)?

I'm not saying keep him, he's shown nothing to merit that, and I'll be right there cheering when he's gone... but I just have a bad feeling he's going to go somewhere, paired up with a good DT, and he's going to show why we selected him sixth overall.

God I hope I'm wrong.

cdcox
12-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have the feeling Sims is going to go somewhere else and be good (maybe not great, but good)?

I'm not saying keep him, he's shown nothing to merit that, and I'll be right there cheering when he's gone... but I just have a bad feeling he's going to go somewhere, paired up with a good DT, and he's going to show why we selected him sixth overall.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Last year he showed a few flashes. This year, I do not have that fear.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-30-2006, 09:31 PM
Last year he showed a few flashes. This year, I do not have that fear.
I'm just afraid *someone* will figure out how to get him to perform... maybe it's a donut-incentive-laced contract, I don't know. Just a gut feeling, like I said.

htismaqe
12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm just afraid *someone* will figure out how to get him to perform... maybe it's a donut-incentive-laced contract, I don't know. Just a gut feeling, like I said.

I think getting cut, in and of itself, might be the necessary incentive for him.

I hope not, but it could happen.

Brock
12-30-2006, 10:19 PM

If he isn't playing for his professional life at this point, I don't think he ever will.

Rain Man
12-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I think Sims may be a little of a headcase at this point. He threw away the first half of his rookie season on a stupid contract holdout, and then had that dislocated elbow. Then he comes back and does whatever he did to his foot on the second series of the season. His career got derailed continuously, and then he never picked it back up and languished.

A change of pace might do him some good. I think he's depressed right now.