PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Herm - Playoffs

dirk digler
12-31-2006, 07:37 PM
The Chiefs Are Playoff Bound!
Dec 31, 2006, 7:36:39 PM

Thanks to a 35-30 win over the Jaguars and some help from around the NFL, the Chiefs have clinched the sixth and final seed in the 2006 Postseason. The Chiefs will now play at the Indianapolis Colts in the first round of the NFL Playoffs on Saturday, January 6th at 3:30 (central).

Reaction to the Chiefs Postseason Berth

EDWARDS: “I heard my wife screaming so I said, something must have happened good.”

Q: When you showed up at the stadium this morning, realistically, what were your thoughts in regard the playoffs?

EDWARDS: “My thoughts were real simple – we had to win. That’s the only thing you can control is what you do. I wanted to make sure that our guys understood that. We talked about that last night and told them that Jacksonville was in the same spot we were. If you don’t win, it really doesn’t matter what anybody else does. This is our last game and I said, ‘We need to win a home game and if we win, I’ve been in this situation before, things can happen.’ It happened to us in Philadelphia. We ended up winning and it all worked out for us.”

Q: Did you watch the game?

EDWARDS: “No. My wife was hollering. I was playing with the girls and every time she screamed, I asked, ‘What are you screaming about now?’ Then when the game got in overtime, she told me it was in overtime. I said, ‘Well, you know, we’ve still got a chance.’ Obviously, when I heard her screaming at the end, I knew something good had happened.”

Q: Weren’t you tempted to take the girls into the TV room?

EDWARDS: “No, my wife was in the bedroom and I was on the floor messing around with Gabrielle.”

Q: You were about the only Chiefs fan that was not watching.

EDWARDS: “I figured if I started watching, something bad was probably going to happen.”

Q: So, Herm, you and Tony Dungy?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, the last time we played in the playoffs, I was with the Jets. They actually came to New York. ”

Q: And we know what happened. . .

EDWARDS: “I don’t know about all that. It was a long time ago, but obviously, we’re very excited. I know that the staff is excited and I know that the players have to be to get back into the playoff hunt. It’s always a lot of fun when you’re in the playoffs. The guy that’s looking down on us right now is Lamar. He’s got a big smile on his face and that’s probably the best thing to happen today. That one’s for Lamar, there’s no doubt about it. I just wish he was around to see us get in. He’s looking down on us and smiling, so that’s a good thing.”

Q: Now that you’re in, do you feel like there’s a clean slate and maybe that you’re a team that can do some damage?

EDWARDS: “The thing about the playoffs is that you can get hot – if you get confidence. We have to go on the road. I thought that’s why last week’s win was very important for us – to go on the road and win a game again because we knew this will be our last home game. If we get in the playoffs we’re going to have to go on the road. We have to learn how to win on the road especially in the later months. Obviously, the win in Oakland was good. We struggled to get a win but (that’s sometimes) how you win. You’ve got to win ugly sometimes. We were able to do that and now we’ve won another one. We’re going into the playoffs with two wins which is kind of good. You always want to go in there winning, you don’t want to go in there losing.”

Q: Did you call anybody when all this went down?

EDWARDS: “No. Everybody’s calling here. My wife’s been answering the phone, but I’m not calling anybody. I’ll just wait to see everybody tomorrow. I told the players if we didn’t get in, we’d meet at 10:00; if we get in, we’ll meet at 12:00.”

Q: It seemed like everybody had the attitude last week that this was probably it.

EDWARDS: “You lead your life as either an optimist or a pessimist. And I guess for so long these guys have been like last year, they kind of waited and waited and couldn’t get in with 10 wins. It just worked out this year that we got in with nine. You’ve just got to win. If you win and things happen for you, you’ve got a chance.”

Q: Didn’t you feel like you weren’t going to do it?

EDWARDS: “No, I never felt that. I just felt that I didn’t want someone else having to do our work. Three teams had to win. We had to wait. That’s what I didn’t like. But we’re in and I’m glad we’re in. I think the town’s excited. I think the players are excited. I’m excited! I’ve been coaching in this league six years and four out of six times I’ve been able to go to the playoffs.”

Q: How does it feel to have your destiny back in your hands?

EDWARDS: “It feels good now because now we have a clean slate. Now we’ve got to go on the road and face a good friend of mine, Tony Dungy, and those guys have been in a lot of playoff games. We’ll have our work cut out for us, there’s no doubt about it.”

Chiefs Pantalones
12-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Win it.

cdcox
12-31-2006, 07:43 PM
What's he doing playing with his kids? He should have been breaking down game film on Indy.

keg in kc
12-31-2006, 07:45 PM
“It feels good now because now we have a clean slate."That's the main point. All the opportunities we missed are moot. All the good games are irrelevent, as well. Everybody is 0-0 now, and 20 other teams are home.

dirk digler
12-31-2006, 07:46 PM
What's he doing playing with his kids? He should have been breaking down game film on Indy.

He said after the game he wasn't going to watch the game he was going to play with his kids and spend time with his family.

RINGLEADER
12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
I guess...

the Talking Can
12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
That's the main point. All the opportunities we missed are moot. All the good games are irrelevent, as well. Everybody is 0-0 now, and 20 other teams are home.

WAVE YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR

WAVE THEM LIKE YOU JUST DON'T CARE

OldTownChief
12-31-2006, 08:03 PM
That's the main point. All the opportunities we missed are moot. All the good games are irrelevent, as well. Everybody is 0-0 now, and 20 other teams are home.

True, but some of those 0-0 teams are good teams and some of them aren't.

keg in kc
12-31-2006, 08:11 PM
True, but some of those 0-0 teams are good teams and some of them aren't.All the teams there earned their spot. Anybody is capable of beating anyone else.

That's.
Why.
They.

You know the rest.

Rain Man
12-31-2006, 08:15 PM

Well, that's their problem. They'd better get out of our way.

KurtCobain
12-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Well, that's their problem. They'd better get out of our way.
10. We somehow sneak into the playoffs - CHECK!!

Rain Man
12-31-2006, 08:19 PM
10. We somehow sneak into the playoffs - CHECK!!

Heh-heh. Good observation. Time for an update.

KChiefs1
12-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Herm should have just said, "You play to win the game" & left it at that....

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
12-31-2006, 08:54 PM

Hopefully getting ideas on how to properly execute an offense.

bkkcoh
01-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Hopefully getting ideas on how to properly execute an offense.

They were showing him how he needs to teach the defense to tackle..

bkkcoh
01-01-2007, 12:03 AM

Yeah, but we wont have to face them until the Superbowl....... :)

Coach
01-01-2007, 12:08 AM

Yeah, but that extra time of preperations/film/practice can do wonders for young players. And Lord knows that they do need alot of work, especially T-A-C-K-L-I-N-G and wrapping up.

Like a NCAA bowl game, you know, even though we don't get 2-3 weeks of preperations/practice, it can be benefitical for the young players, even for a week.

Douche Baggins
01-01-2007, 12:15 AM

That's Gunther's hobby. I bet he knows that offense like the back of his hand. Now he can attack it with real players, not Jerome Woods, Shawn Barber, Scott Fujita, Eric Hicks, Eric Warfield and Dexter McCleon.

tk13
01-01-2007, 12:29 AM
One of the first things Gun said in an interview was that the one big difference was he'd get Indianapolis to punt. Well, here ya go buddy.

cdcox
01-01-2007, 12:39 AM
If Indy only punts once, were going to fly back to KC, pusing our colon back into our backside. The bar has been raised.

CupidStunt
01-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I'll take a repeat of the last time Herm met Dungy in the playoffs.