PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - Green keeps proving he can take hits - and boos

Count Zarth
01-01-2007, 01:34 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16359694.htm

Trent Green can handle this — the in-stadium boos, the public debate about his Kansas City future, the fan-cination with Damon Huard and the late hits.

Trent Green wasn’t born with John Elway’s arm, Dan Marino’s release, Joe Montana’s touch or Michael Vick’s feet. Green has one gift. He’s as tough as any quarterback who’s played the game.

Sunday afternoon inside Arrowhead Stadium, with the Chiefs needing a victory over Jacksonville to keep their playoff hopes alive, Green weathered cheap shots from the Jaguars, boos from the home crowd and a brief, spectacular appearance from Huard.

“Tough, for what he had to go through today,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said, describing Green’s afternoon. “He got booed by the home crowd. But he continued to play, and we won the football game.”

Yes, the Chiefs won 35-30. They overcame Green’s turnovers (two interceptions and a fumble) and kept their playoff hopes alive for three more hours.

While the 49ers and Broncos were deciding Kansas City’s playoff fate, Green spent a good 30 minutes speaking candidly with the local media about his future, the boos he endured and his level of play since returning from a week-one concussion.

“No. I don’t think it has slipped,” Green said when asked about his performance since returning to the lineup. “What I lost is some of my timing, the feel of the game. At times I had it, other times I didn’t.”

In eight games this season, the man who threw for more than 4,000 yards in the three previous seasons topped the 200-yard barrier just once in 2006 and finished the regular season with seven touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Green’s timing and feel were off on Sunday. Jacksonville’s Rashean Mathis jumped a route and picked off a Green pass in the first quarter. In the third quarter, linebacker Clint Ingram leveled Green on a scramble/slide and momentarily knocked Green from the game with a twisted ankle.

Huard replaced Green and promptly unspooled a perfect 40-yard rainbow to Eddie Kennison along the sideline. The strike led to a 12-yard Larry Johnson TD run and a 35-17 Kansas City lead.

When Green returned to the lineup on KC’s next series, Chiefs fans booed lustily.

“Nobody likes to hear it,” Green said, referring to the boos. “It’s tough. But I feel more for my family having to listen to it. That happened a little bit back in Bloomington senior year (at Indiana). It’s part of the position. At quarterback you can never get too high or too low because you have to try and maintain that demeanor.”

When Green threw another interception late in the third quarter, there were more boos. When Green coughed up the football after a sack in the fourth quarter, Chiefs fans reacted as if Carl Peterson had just re-signed kicker Lin Elliott.

Do the boos hurt?

“It doesn’t hurt,” Green said. “It just bothers me because now I’ve got to go home and have a discussion with my kids. They are like, ‘Dad, you guys won. Why were people booing you?’ That’s hard. That’s part of being a parent.

“…. So I’ll use this as an opportunity to try and help them grow and just understand that things aren’t always going to go your way, and people aren’t always going to be as supportive, and you just have to believe in what you’re doing and believe in your teammates.”

Green really is caught in a perfect storm. Chiefs fans are well past their boiling point. The lack of postseason success and Carl Peterson’s stranglehold on Arrowhead power have Kansas City football fans ready to blow up the entire organization.

Green is an easy target. He’s the quarterback. He has the best contract on the team. He’s old, a symbol of the need for change. And Huard (11 TDs and one INT) refuses to make a mistake.

But Green is tough. He’s stronger than the perfect storm. He won’t crack on the field or pick a fight with fans off it.

“I love doing what I do,” said Green, who reiterated that he still has a passion for playing beyond this season. “I still feel I have a lot to give as a player and as a leader. My family loves it here. I feel like I’ve established myself in this community.”

I honestly don’t have an opinion of who should be Kansas City’s quarterback — Huard or Green — in the playoffs or next year. The reason? I learned the hard way not to count out Trent Green.

I covered the beginning of his college career. I never imagined he’d develop into a Pro Bowl quarterback. After his 2001 Kansas City debut — the Tr-INT campaign — I had him pegged as a mediocre QB.

He’s capable of snapping out of this funk. In terms of leadership, the Chiefs haven’t had a leader on Green’s level since Marcus Allen retired.

“The guy is a warrior,” guard Brian Waters said. “People need to realize there are 25 other teams in the league who would kill to have Trent Green as their quarterback.”

Count Zarth
01-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Now this was a great piece. Green's got brass balls. He doesn't give a shit about getting hit and certainly didn't today.

The nice thing is his subpar return means shit right now. All he has to do is go into the playoffs and win our hearts. COME ON TRENT! TAKE US THERE!

Deberg_1990
01-01-2007, 01:44 AM
No one has ever or will ever question Green's heart, courage or professionalism. Thats certainly not his problem.

Lets hope the football gods can help him snap out of whatever funk hes in right now.

Halfcan
01-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Yep I am glad I never wrote Trent off-lol

mcan
01-01-2007, 08:50 AM
To me, the most interesting part of the interview is the part that you won't hear anything about...

Trent: You have to take full advantage, and I've talked about to a lot of guys about this, especially from an offensive standpoint; because, our offense is so expansive, or was, and now we've fine-tuned it so much that... The practice length, was made very clear, what Coach Vermeil's practices were like and what Coach Edwards' practices are like. So, you don't have the same time... We're not gonna have the same number of reps. We're not gonna get as many. That's where it gets hard because there's some plays: you may cover in walk-through, but you don't ever practice em, and all the sudden you run it in the game. And that's different than what we've done in the past, so I think there's, from an offensive standpoint, we've got to grow, and understand, that we may have to do some things differently on offense. Because, we can't go into a game with such an expansive gameplan and then not have everybody on the same page. And I think that is reflected in the way I played, and I know I'm gonna have to make some adjustments... And if we get in, I'm gonna have to make some adjustments next week. But that's just kinda where we are, and I think that's, to answer your question, I think that's where those two months cost me, was just understanding some of the timing of that.

redbrian
01-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Now this was a great piece. Green's got brass balls. He doesn't give a shit about getting hit and certainly didn't today.

The nice thing is his subpar return means shit right now. All he has to do is go into the playoffs and win our hearts. COME ON TRENT! TAKE US THERE!

Bull….Trent does not need to win any hearts, the bandwagon fans around here are just friggen pitiful.

Dartgod
01-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I was disgusted when people were booing him yesterday. The man has given his heart and his body to this team and this is the respect he gets?

tomahawk kid
01-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I was disgusted when people were booing him yesterday. The man has given his heart and his body to this team and this is the respect he gets?

I agree. I was at the game and couldn't believe it.

"What have you done for me lately", indeed.

Coach
01-01-2007, 09:22 AM

I agree 100%

If there was somebody more deserving to be boo'ed off the field, it would be Ryan Sims for starters.

NUMBER7
01-01-2007, 09:24 AM

I totally agree. I was embarassed to be in Arrowhead with these ignorant a-holes. What a lack of class they demonstrate.

Simplex3
01-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Maybe they weren't booing Trent, maybe they were booing Herm for putting Trent back in.

Raiderhader
01-01-2007, 09:45 AM
:shake: How quickly we forget.....

Deberg_1990
01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Maybe they weren't booing Trent, maybe they were booing Herm for putting Trent back in.

No, I think some of it was booing more out of 18 years of Carl Peterson regime frustration.

Orlandochiefsgrl
01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I would expect it from Denver or Oakland fans

DeezNutz
01-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Agreed. I don't think anyone in his right mind could boo Trent Green the person; he seems to be a great all-around guy.

My read was that the crowd wanted Herm to sack up and stay with Huard.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Trent is the man that is for sure, I just hope all these hits and now boos don't affect playoff performance negatively.

Orlandochiefsgrl
01-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Agreed. I don't think anyone in his right mind could boo Trent Green the person; he seems to be a great all-around guy.

My read was that the crowd wanted Herm to sack up and stay with Huard.

After Huard got hit, he actually had to come out. He said he had his bell rung pretty good. Luckily, Trint was able to sack up and go back out, because we would not have pulled out a win with a 3rd string rookie QB. The Jags D is good and they had to respect the pass with Green in.

OldTownChief
01-01-2007, 10:17 AM

Well put. The 2nd best QB in Chiefs history had a bad day and this is what he gets. :shake:

BigRedChief
01-01-2007, 10:26 AM
No one around me was booing that I saw but it was a very loud boo. Very disrespectful. The man is a KC icon. Remember we had Bono, GrBac etc for QB's. Maybe he is a "system" QB but he threw for 4000+ yards for 3 years in a row in a Chiefs uniform. Off the field he did numerous charity events. He lives in KC in the off season. This is his home. He may have lost it, not be the same after the concusson. Been a product of a "system". Not be fully recovered from the injury but JEEEZZZ come on to boo the guy at home because he's having a bad game. We are not Philly. Show some class.

WilliamTheIrish
01-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Trent is the man that is for sure, I just hope all these hits and now boos don't affect playoff performance negatively.

If booing affects his playoff performance, then Green is weaker, softer professional than Grbac.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I was pissed when people booed Green. He deserves more than that.

Cochise
01-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Classless display by the people in attendance who were booing. The guy is a ring of famer. The best QB the Chiefs have ever had, at least in the past two decades, if not ever.

After all he's done for us, for people to take a dump on him when he's playing with those receivers and that offensive line, terrible.

The team had a microscopic chance of getting into the playoffs and they were still out there working hard.

Some people just need to quit wasting my oxygen.

Iowanian
01-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I've never questioned Green's character, humility or heart.

He has shown that his timing and pass accuracy should be questioned.

My biggest problem with him this season isn't the turnovers....its pass accuracy in general...throwing at the feet of rbs in the flat for example.

DeezNutz
01-01-2007, 10:36 AM
After Huard got hit, he actually had to come out. He said he had his bell rung pretty good. Luckily, Trint was able to sack up and go back out, because we would not have pulled out a win with a 3rd string rookie QB. The Jags D is good and they had to respect the pass with Green in.

Yeah, yeah. I listened to the post-game comments, too. But Herm wasn't very definitive when talking about Huard's "concussion," and Edwards said that Green would have gone back in regardless. I don't think we were in real danger of seeing Croyle's number called. The "injury" prevented any further speculation...

KILLER_CLOWN
01-01-2007, 10:38 AM
If booing affects his playoff performance, then Green is weaker, softer professional than Grbac.

Not bloody likeley but i'm just sayin' he's from this area and i'm sure it had to hurt with him risking life and limb and everything else to make a play to have us fairweather fans booing.

KChiefs1
01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
The NFL is the performance-based league. Players & coaches who don't perform up to certain standards are not long for the NFL.

When your starting QB commits 3 turnovers in a single game then you have to judge that performance based on that game.

Has Trent Green had a great 4 year run as a Chief? Hell yes! Is Trent Green getting to a point when we might be seeing a decline in his performance? Maybe.

I personally hope he can pull it together for a few more games so the Chiefs can make a playoff run.

StcChief
01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Green is a warrior....but taped up ankle seemed to hurt his mobility more.

Dartgod
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Maybe they weren't really booing him. They were really saying "Mooooooove!".

RINGLEADER
01-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Sorry, Green may be a warrior and all but he isn't playing well right now. His passes are all over the place but rarely are they right on the money.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2007, 11:21 AM
I would NEVER boo Trent Green, but the only way we have any chance of making a Super Bowl run is with Damon Huard as our QB...

If Herm has any balls, and he's proved he at least has some tiny ones, he will put Green on the SHORTEST leash against Indianapolis, and if he starts struggling, it's time to go to Huard.

It's do or die time now, baby...

Que Card QB
01-01-2007, 11:23 AM
No one around me was booing that I saw but it was a very loud boo. Very disrespectful. The man is a KC icon. Remember we had Bono, GrBac etc for QB's. Maybe he is a "system" QB but he threw for 4000+ yards for 3 years in a row in a Chiefs uniform. Off the field he did numerous charity events. He lives in KC in the off season. This is his home. He may have lost it, not be the same after the concusson. Been a product of a "system". Not be fully recovered from the injury but JEEEZZZ come on to boo the guy at home because he's having a bad game. We are not Philly. Show some class.I cannot agree more. Can you imagine if we had Brett Favre or Michael Vick? BOTH quarterbacks throw terrible passes and have putrid O-lines. These same boobirders would be calling for Trent Green in a heart beat. People have SHORT memories.

trndobrd
01-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I've never questioned Green's character, humility or heart.

He has shown that his timing and pass accuracy should be questioned.

My biggest problem with him this season isn't the turnovers....its pass accuracy in general...throwing at the feet of rbs in the flat for example.

I agree that his accuracy and timing have been off since his return. If that was a result of missed practices while he was out, or the concussion itself remains to be seen.

Although I disagree, I have no problem with people calling for a change. But booing the man was just unbelievable. It would have been like booing Marcus Allen after a fumble.