PDA

View Full Version : Jags whining like donkey fans

jaxchiefsclub
01-01-2007, 08:12 AM
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/010107/jag_7108007.shtml

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Coach Jack Del Rio opened a quarterback Pandora's Box on Sunday when the Jaguars ended the season with a loss that raised more questions about the team's future than it answered.

The Jaguars not only failed to make the playoffs, they failed to finish with a winning season as they suffered a 35-30 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs that left them in third place in the AFC South Division with an 8-8 record. They were 12-4 last year.

Conversely, the victory was sweet for Kansas City (9-7), which earned an AFC wild-card bid when the Denver surprisingly lost in overtime to the San Francisco 49ers later in the day.

The Jaguars yielded a blocked punt for a touchdown, a flea flicker for another score and an interception that set up a third touchdown. Chiefs running back Larry Johnson ran for 138 yards and three touchdowns.

They also ended the season with a quarterback controversy -or maybe a quarterback problem -when Del Rio benched David Garrard in the third quarter for Quinn Gray.

Del Rio said he was looking for a spark when Gray came in with the Jaguars trailing, 28-10. He provided it by leading three touchdown drives.

"I'm always prepared to play if my number is called,'' Gray said.

But Del Rio also was left without a quarterback of the future now that he's benched both Byron Leftwich and Garrard this year.

"Yeah, if Peyton Manning is available, let me know. But right now, we have what we have,'' Del Rio said. "There's no question I would like somebody to step up and clearly be the dominant player at that position. It just hasn't happened yet.''

Jaguars defensive end Bobby McCray walks dejectedly off the field following the team's 35-30 loss to Kansas City in the final game of the season on Sunday.

As for the team's quarterback plans, Del Rio said: "I'm not going to stand here and try to make it [a decision] 20 minutes after the game. We have time. We're going to take time.''

The players weren't eager to discuss the team's situation at quarterback.

"The questions are going to be lingering out there,'' running back Fred Taylor said. "It's not up to us. We can only give our opinions and naturally, we're not going to step on either guy's toes and say anything to incriminate ourselves and put us in bad eyes with the organization.''

The Jaguars were 6-8 in the last 14 games and finishing the season with three consecutive losses.

"We've been moderately successful,'' Del Rio said. "Obviously, as we build this football team, we're looking to win a championship. You're going to have to go beyond moderately successful at some point. I'm clearly aware of that.''

Del Rio deferred further questions about the team's future until a season-ending news conference on Tuesday.

Several other issues are out there, too, including possible changes to Del Rio's staff.

One coach whose future may be problematic is special teams coach Pete Rodriguez, who was named special teams coach of the decade in the 1990s. The Jaguars allowed big special teams plays in four of their losses.

Kansas City scored its first touchdown on a blocked punt by Bernard Pollard, who ran over Montell Owens and then recovered the blocked punt for a touchdown.

Rodriguez said it Kansas City's scheme wasn't the problem because the Chiefs were setting up for a return and Pollard was the only rusher.

Asked about his future, Rodriguez said: "I don't worry about stuff like that. I've had a great career in the NFL. A lot of good things, a lot of bad things. More good things than bad.''

The Jaguars finished with a 397-395 edge in yardage, but couldn't stop the Chiefs' running game.

Jaguars quarterback Quinn Gray reaches the ball across the goal line on a 17-yard touchdown run during the third quarter. The score cut the Chiefs' lead to 35-24.

"We had a bad day,'' said defensive tackle John Henderson, who was called for two fouls on one play late in the game.

"We didn't do a lot of things right,'' added safety Deon Grant.

Defensive end Bobby McCray, who had a sack to increase his team-leading season total to 10, said: "We shot ourselves in the foot with missed assignments and a whole lot of other things we didn't capitalize on.''

Despite all their mishaps, the Jaguars had one final chance when the Chiefs lined up for a fourth-down play at the Jaguars 31 with 1:16 left.

When tight end Pete Gonzalez shifted, McCray jumped offsides. The Chiefs got a first down and ran out the clock.

"He jumped forward and then jumped out after a hard count. If that's legal, that's ridiculous,'' McCray said.

That was the final moment of frustration in a frustrating season for the Jaguars.

"We're one of the elite teams. Everybody knows that. We dominated some of the great teams,'' McCray said. "We've got to stop playing down to our competition. We had games we're supposed to win and we let those slip away.''

headsnap
01-01-2007, 08:21 AM
When tight end Pete Gonzalez shifted, McCray jumped offsides. The Chiefs got a first down and ran out the clock.

:spock:

JBucc
01-01-2007, 08:24 AM
How do you get Pete from Tony?

milkman
01-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Who's Pete Gonzalez?

boogblaster
01-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Pete is sweet...GO TONY.....

Amnorix
01-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Jags have consistently had too high an opinion of themselves, which is one of the reasons they end up not doing well.

They were an overrated 12-4 team last year, who benefitted from an easy schedule. The Patriots intentionally lost the last game of the season last year to play them instead of the Steelers, and then smoked them 28-3 or whatever it was.

Then, this year, 8-8, with losses to the Texans among others.

They have some talent, but they haven't come close to putting it all together, and have waaaay too high an opinion of themselves.

Phobia
01-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Who's Pete Gonzalez?

I'm guessing the sportswriter actually had Tony in his copy and some editor thought he was catching an error based on the name of the Jags' special teams coach. :shrug:

morphius
01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think the last line had anything to do with us, just a statement about their team. Just like us talking about Cleveland, Miami and even the Steelers. It is no different.

In the replay I saw nothing of Tony going forward, but the move he made was so quick that it looked like the start of a play. It was obviously well practiced.

dirk digler
01-01-2007, 09:51 AM
Jags have consistently had too high an opinion of themselves, which is one of the reasons they end up not doing well.

They were an overrated 12-4 team last year, who benefitted from an easy schedule. The Patriots intentionally lost the last game of the season last year to play them instead of the Steelers, and then smoked them 28-3 or whatever it was.

Then, this year, 8-8, with losses to the Texans among others.

They have some talent, but they haven't come close to putting it all together, and have waaaay too high an opinion of themselves.

Yep that is what I was thinking as well. You don't lose twice to the Texans and become a playoff team.

RP_McMurphy
01-01-2007, 10:16 AM
When the Jaguars play their "A" game they can beat any team in the league and beat them up good. When they play less than their "A" they can get beat by anyone in the league. The Jaguars suffered this year because of poor quarterback play with both Leftwhich and Garrad stinking up the joint. The Jaguars special teams suffered major breakdowns that really hurt in some games.

Jagaurs Top Five Off Season Priorities

1) Sign Free Agent Veteran Quarterback and get rid of Garrad and Leftwhich for picks.

2) Possibly trade Fred Taylor for draft picks as he is asking for big money and the Jaguars don't want to give him it for a over 30 running back.

3) Find a number one receiver as both Reggie Williams and Matt Jones are not it right now.

4) Draft a Defense End to help with pressuring the quarterback and depth behind Reggie Hayward and Bobby McCray.

5) Move Mike Peterson to the outside and get rid of Nick Greisen.

Jaguars would also be helped to have a moderately healthy season instead of having 16 players on IR throughout the year. Plus maybe beat the Texans.....grrrrrrrr

Raiderhader
01-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't want to hear it. The Jags got away with a delay of game, hitting a QB that had gone into a hook slide (Green needs to not ever go into a hook slide again. Ever.), and a bogus roughing the passer call that allowed them a TD. They can stuff it.

alpha_omega
01-01-2007, 10:36 AM
"We're one of the elite teams. Everybody knows that....'' McCray said.

What????

Adept Havelock
01-01-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't want to hear it. The Jags got away with a delay of game, hitting a QB that had gone into a hook slide (Green needs to not ever go into a hook slide again. Ever.), and a bogus roughing the passer call that allowed them a TD. They can stuff it.

You could tell the ref really hated calling that delay of game penalty on the next play too. Only reason they did was the whole damn stadium and TV audience realized the clock had been at 00 for almost 5 seconds and the idiot under center still hadn't taken the snap. Even the chucklehead commentators were talking about it.

Tag Heuer they aren't.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
01-01-2007, 10:38 AM

Hey give the guy a break; its not like Tony Gonzalez is a well known player. Its not uncommon for simple role players to have their name mistaken.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2007, 10:41 AM

The exact same problem the Chiefs have IMO....

Crush
01-01-2007, 11:00 AM
An elite team doesn't whine about not being in the playoffs at 8-8.

Spott
01-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I am going to love living in Jacksonville this week. Yesterday was so sweet. I think I'll wear a Chiefs jersey all week to antagonize the fans here.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2007, 11:18 AM
So I wonder how long it will before they move that team to Los Angeles.

StcChief
01-01-2007, 11:28 AM
So I wonder how long it will before they move that team to Los Angeles.

I still think SD Chargers will end up between LA/SD as the SoCal team.

Silock
01-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I wonder if we can hire Pete Rodriguez. That would be cool.

L.A. Chieffan
01-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Who the hell is Quinn Gray and where did he come from?
And, how come whenever a Chief's opponent switches QB's mid-game the new QB turns into Joe Montana. Am I wrong?

RP_McMurphy
01-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Quinn Gray is a third string quarterback for the Jaguars and was a free agent pick up from Florida A&M a few years ago for the Jaguars. Very strong arm and good mobility. Many Jaguar fans like him better than Leftwhich or Garrad.

L.A. Chieffan
01-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Quinn Gray is a third string quarterback for the Jaguars and was a free agent pick up from Florida A&M a few years ago for the Jaguars. Very strong arm and good mobility. Many Jaguar fans like him better than Leftwhich or Garrad.
I was just being facetious, but thanks :)

CoMoChief
01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't mind having any of JAX QB's to be honest as long as Leftwich could stay healthy. I don't think Croyle will ever be a starter here and Huard will look for starter's money somewhere else. I also wouldn't want to give up much to get them either which is why Shaub isn't on my list.

ChiefaRoo
01-01-2007, 01:59 PM
:spock:

He's Ron Mexico's cousin.

milkman
01-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't mind having any of JAX QB's to be honest as long as Leftwich could stay healthy. I don't think Croyle will ever be a starter here and Huard will look for starter's money somewhere else. I also wouldn't want to give up much to get them either which is why Shaub isn't on my list.

I wouldn't want Leftwich any more than I would want Vick.

The guy can't stay healthy, but he ain't good either.

Repeat after me.

No More Mediocrity.

Brock
01-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Who the **** is tight end Pete Gonzalez?

milkman
01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Who the **** is tight end Pete Gonzalez?

Let's ask Tony.
Maybe he knows.

tk13
01-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I hope Carl doesn't spend too much money on Pete Gonzalez in the offseason. I'd much rather have Tony.

But that whole elite thing is garbage, you are what you are. They're not any better than the rest of these wild card contenders, and their record says so. Yeah they won against some good teams... but so did everybody else. The Chiefs are one of two teams to beat the Chargers. If that didn't happen we wouldn't still be playing today.

Aries Walker
01-01-2007, 02:51 PM
The Jaguars are an "elite team"? Either I've been watching a different NFL this year, or my dictionary's definition of "elite" is broken.

Halfcan
01-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow sounds like they really love themselves.

Halfcan
01-01-2007, 02:59 PM
And how are you playing down to your competition when you are coming into Arrowhead dumbf#ck!

Rain Man
01-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I was thrilled when Wiegman snapped the ball on that offsides play. As soon as he did that, I knew the game was over. Free play.

Perhaps the Jaguars can claim the title of "the best team to not make the playoffs."

Mecca
01-01-2007, 03:23 PM

Trent hasn't learned that if you wait to late to slide and the guy is on top of you......you get hit anyway and there's no flag. You either give it up early or don't slide..Trent's trying to do both.

Brock
01-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Trent hasn't learned that if you wait to late to slide and the guy is on top of you......you get hit anyway and there's no flag. You either give it up early or don't slide..Trent's trying to do both.

That's true. It also doesn't change the fact that the refs were trying to give the game away.

Guru
01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Who the hell is Quinn Gray and where did he come from?
And, how come whenever a Chief's opponent switches QB's mid-game the new QB turns into Joe Montana. Am I wrong?
Hell, when Gray came in, I immediately said "here comes our career day defense". For a while there, I was afraid I was right on the money too.

Never been so glad to be wrong. :)

Guru
01-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I hate to admit it, but Trent does not seem to know when to slide at all. When that play was breaking I was seeing Cincy all over again. WAtching this slide, I knew he was late and asking for it.

He needs to just throw the ball away the next time he is in this situation.

Mecca
01-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Yesterdays game was possibly the most entertaining game I've watched all year. Even the announcers were amusing to me.....

Even as a Chiefs fan when Quinn Gray completed that pass and he said "HAHA" I couldn't keep a straight face, it was just so out there.

Halfcan
01-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah it would have helped if Trent saw the guy coming. He was looking ahead at the CB coming at him.

crazycoffey
01-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I hate to admit it, but Trent does not seem to know when to slide at all. When that play was breaking I was seeing Cincy all over again. WAtching this slide, I knew he was late and asking for it.

He needs to just throw the ball away the next time he is in this situation.

I just finished watching green's post game comments on the chief website. He said he's never going to slide again, that's why the next time he ran he dove head first.