PDA

View Full Version : I've got to wonder if putting Dunn on IR...

mikey23545
01-01-2007, 11:38 AM
...was a tacit admission that the Chiefs had completely given up on the idea of making the playoffs this year...Otherwise, why not just deactivate him for the last game and see if he can play next week?...He is a key player on this team, and I really hate the idea he is now gone for the season...

Mr. Laz
01-01-2007, 11:42 AM
weird question ...... but does IR carry over into the playoffs?

i don't understand why they put so many guys on IR either.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I am very upset about this.

Dunn is one of the most valuable players on our offense IMHO.

He better really be hurt because losing him is as big of a hit to this offense as losing Richardson this offseason.

L.A. Chieffan
01-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I didn't even realize he was hurt that bad till yesterday morning. Now who is gonna lift LJ up when he scores 5 times against Indy?

mikey23545
01-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, unfortunately IR counts in the playoffs...Dunn is finished until next season....

mikey23545
01-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I didn't get to see the game yesterday....Did Turley play much at RT?

If not, I wonder if he could possibly play a little "Dunn" next week...

L.A. Chieffan
01-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Hmmm, that might not be a bad idea. Didn't he take reps as a TE a long time ago?

jiveturkey
01-01-2007, 11:57 AM

If not, I wonder if he could possibly play a little "Dunn" next week...Turkey was also put on IR before yesterdays game.

Fire Me Boy!
01-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Turley's on IR too.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/sp_action_sports/article/0,1925,KSHB_9428_5249934,00.html

Fire Me Boy!
01-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Chiefs place Dunn, Scanlon, Turley on IR

Promote Hannon, Kershaw, Printers to 53-man roster

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Ė Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Sunday that the club has placed TE Jason Dunn, LB Rich Scanlon and T Kyle Turley on Injured Reserve. The team also agreed to terms of three-year contracts with WR Chris Hannon, LB William Kershaw and QB Casey Printers, promoting all three players from the practice squad. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreements were made available.

Hannon (6-3, 205) originally joined the Chiefs as a rookie free agent in 2006 and attended training camp with the club. He was inactive vs. Cincinnati (9/10) before being added to the practice squad on Sept. 13 where he spent the next 14 games.

The Sarasota, Florida native played in 46 games (20 starts) at the University of Tennessee. Hannon caught 69 passes for 850 yards (12.3 avg.) with 12 touchdowns. He was an all-district and all-area selection at Riverview High School in Sarasota, Florida.

Kershaw (6-3, 240) joined Kansas City as a rookie free agent in 2006. He attended training camp with the Chiefs, but was released on Sept. 2. He was added to the practice squad on Sept. 4 where he spent the first 15 games of the season.

The Maryland product played in 42 games (20 starts) for the Terrapins, recording 204 tackles (103 solo), 12.5 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks (-20.0 yards) and eight QB pressures. Kershaw also had an interception, a forced fumble and two passes defensed. He started all 10 games as a senior, finishing third on the club with 76 tackles (34 solo). He was a two-year starter at Hoke County High School in Raeford, N.C.

Printers (6-2, 222) was promoted to the 53-man roster after spending the previous eight games on the practice squad. He originally joined the Chiefs in 2006 and was on the active roster vs. Seattle (10/29). He spent the remainder of the season on the practice squad.

Printers played three seasons in the Canadian Football League with the British Columbia Lions, appearing in 45 games. He completed 457 of 712 passes for 6,763 yards with 45 touchdowns and 16 interceptions to go with 122 rushes for 849 yards (7.0 avg.) and 10 TDs. The DeSoto, Texas native was the named the CFL Most Outstanding Player in 2004 when he connected on 325 of 494 passes for 5,088 yards with a league-high 35 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He added 82 carries for 469 yards (5.7 avg.) with nine touchdowns.

The Florida A&M product completed 123 of 218 passes for 1,517 yards with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions as a senior. Printers spent his first collegiate three seasons at TCU and ranks third on the Horned Frogs career passing yards list with 4,621 yards to go with 37 TDs. He was named the Freshman of the Year by The Dallas Morning News after earning MVP honors in the Mobile Bowl game and completing 86 of 150 passes for 1,213 yards with eight touchdowns.

Fire Me Boy!
01-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Turkey was also put on IR before yesterdays game.
Beat me by || much.

mikey23545
01-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, so much for that idea.

So who did play RT? Chris Terry?

Fire Me Boy!
01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Welbourne, I think... but not sure. Didn't really pay attention. Whomever it was, I didn't hear his name called, so that's a good thing.

dirk digler
01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Herm just said the doctors wouldn't let him play and he needs surgery. His back is hurting him bad.

Bob Dole
01-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, so much for that idea.

So who did play RT? Chris Terry?

Bob Dole noticed Welbourne on at least one sack.

booger
01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I think Scanlon to IR and bringing up Kershaw made sense. Kershaw made a strong push to make the team out of camp and we were able to keep him on the PS. If Scanlon is injured it made sense to bring up a player to take his special teams snaps.

I wonder whether they bring up Keith Willis or not this week to have another TE. Probably see Terry, Bober, and Nicewanger play the blocking TE snaps.

Neither Printers or Hannon have a shot of being active so their promotions were to keep them in case of someone else signing them wanting to develop them for next season. For teams that are not in the playoffs, soon, possible this week they can sign players to future contracts for next season. Maybe they wanted to protect those two.

Not sure or not when playoff teams can sign practice squad or street FA's to future contracts.

recxjake
01-01-2007, 06:34 PM
I actually started a thread about this last night, but it didnt go to far.... I think your exactly right... the chiefs said we aren't gonna make it, lets give some other players a chance....

Kris Wilson is going to have to really suck it up!!!!

jaxchiefsclub
01-01-2007, 07:43 PM

He is on IR also.

jspchief
01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Yea, they must have just quit on the season. :rolleyes:

It's inconceivable that these guys are really actually injured to the point that they can't play again this year, and the Chiefs were doing the smart thing by getting able bodies on the roster in their place.

mikey23545
01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Yea, they must have just quit on the season. :rolleyes:

It's inconceivable that these guys are really actually injured to the point that they can't play again this year, and the Chiefs were doing the smart thing by getting able bodies on the roster in their place.

Obviously I had not heard of the extent of Dunn's or Turley's injury at the time of this post. And since they had both been playing right up till now, it was not that outlandish to assume they were still capable of doing so with a little rest.

You are obviously one egotistical, pretentious know-it-all.

jspchief
01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Obviously I had not heard of the extent of Dunn's or Turley's injury at the time of this post. And since they had both been playing right up till now, it was not that outlandish to assume they were still capable of doing so with a little rest.

You are obviously one egotistical, pretentious know-it-all.Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

IMO the notion that the front office would just give up on a season that wasn't over is ridiculous. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

mikey23545
01-01-2007, 08:14 PM
That ol' 20-20 hindsight is as sharp as ever, huh?....

You're a joke.

jspchief
01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
That ol' 20-20 hindsight is as sharp as ever, huh?....

You're a joke.It doesn't take 20/20 hindsight. We weren't mathematically eliminated from the play-offs.

Believe it or not, professional football teams aren't run by idiots. These guys understand that it's not over until it's over, and they are motivated to do whatever gives them the best chance to win.

What possible reason would they have for just up and quitting? To get experience for a few guys that spent the entire year on the PS? If getting those guys reps was so important, I doubt they would have waited until the day before potentially the last game of the year.

Some people are in such a hurry to piss and moan about this organization that they don't take the time to consider the crap that comes out of their mouths.

Just inject a little common sense. It's not brilliance, or hindsight, or pretentiousness. It's just common sense.

mikey23545
01-02-2007, 02:52 AM
It doesn't take 20/20 hindsight. We weren't mathematically eliminated from the play-offs.

Believe it or not, professional football teams aren't run by idiots. These guys understand that it's not over until it's over, and they are motivated to do whatever gives them the best chance to win.

What possible reason would they have for just up and quitting? To get experience for a few guys that spent the entire year on the PS? If getting those guys reps was so important, I doubt they would have waited until the day before potentially the last game of the year.

Some people are in such a hurry to piss and moan about this organization that they don't take the time to consider the crap that comes out of their mouths.

Just inject a little common sense. It's not brilliance, or hindsight, or pretentiousness. It's just common sense.

Hey jspchief, here's a little article for you to peruse while sitting up there on the Mt. Olympus of football knowledge all by yourself....

Herm covering Carlís goof
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Well, Chiefs fans finally got their you-play-to-win-the-game moment from Herm Edwards, who always preaches with a purpose.

Less than 24 hours after qualifying for the playoffs, Edwards opened his New Yearís Day news conference ranting about how his Chiefs didnít luck into or back into the playoffs.

ďLetís not get this thing twisted and think we backed into this deal,Ē Edwards preached with the necessary emotion to catch the eye of ESPN producers. ďWe didnít lose, we won. Every team that played this weekend played at home and had an opportunity to get into the playoffs just like us. We just happened to win. Whatís wrong with that? So, letís not get it twisted and say, ĎWell, theyíre lucky.í We didnít get lucky. We won.Ē

Why the unprovoked rant? Edwards said he wanted to transfer his attitude to his players and he could sense that some people thought the Chiefs were lucky.

ďIím not irritated,Ē Edwards said. ďIím just making a point. Itís playoff time now. Iím in a different mode, I think a real different mode all of a sudden. Iím in a different frame of mind.Ē

Hmm. Thatís one way to look at it. Thereís also another way to view Hermís tirade.

Maybe Herm thought it was important to convince his players, the local and national media and Kansas City football fans that the Chiefs werenít lucky because he knows Carl Peterson sent the clear message he didnít think the Chiefs would qualify for postseason play when he placed Jason Dunn and Kyle Turley on injured reserve before the Jacksonville game.

Marinate on that for a moment.

The Chiefs wonít have the services of one of the leagueís top run-blocking tight ends in a playoff game that likely will hinge on KCís ability to control the clock with Larry Johnson.

Peterson, in my opinion, made a gigantic tactical error.

He placed Dunn, Turley and Rich Scanlon on injured reserve so the Chiefs could elevate practice-squaders Casey Printers, Chris Hannon and William Kershaw to the 53-man roster. By placing Printers, Hannon and Kershaw on the final 53-man roster it protects the Chiefs from an opposing team poaching one of the three players from KCís practice squad this offseason.

Teams are justifiably paranoid about losing their practice-squad players. A couple of years ago, the Chiefs cut guard Ryan Lilja with the hopes they could place him on their practice squad. The Colts scooped up Lilja, and heís been a regular starter in Indy for two years.

The Chiefs said they placed Dunn on IR because doctors wonít clear him to play now that they miraculously discovered he has a herniated disk in his back in week 16.

Dunn told me Monday that heís played with the injury for six weeks. When he entered Arrowhead Stadium on Monday for a brief team meeting, Dunn told me he hoped the Chiefs could reverse the decision. <b>When Dunn left Arrowhead, he told me that assistant general manager Denny Thum told him that the Chiefs regretted placing Dunn on IR and they wouldnít have done it if they thought they were going to qualify for the playoffs.</b>

Dunn was visibly disappointed.

ďI could play four more games,Ē said Dunn, who admitted heíll undergo surgery this offseason. ďIíve been playing with it.Ē

Dunnís absence Saturday will place more pressure on Tony Gonzalez and Kris Wilson. Gonzalez will have more blocking responsibility.

Wilson will pull double duty between fullback and tight end. Linemen John Welbourn and Chris Bober will get some time at tight end.

Dunnís absence hamstrings the offensive coaching staff. Dunn has never been a big part of KCís passing game, but heís always been a threat in KCís pass offense. And blocking on the edge against outside linebackers and working up to safeties requires a combination of strength and athletic ability that few offensive linemen possess.

Dunnís absence is big. But that probably wonít get talked about on ESPN this week because Herm created a nice little distraction. Herm is smart, and heís a team player. He fell on Carl Petersonís grenade.

Bootlegged
01-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Hey jspchief, here's a little article for you to peruse while sitting up there on the Mt. Olympus of football knowledge all by yourself....

Herm covering Carlís goof
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Well, Chiefs fans finally got their you-play-to-win-the-game moment from Herm Edwards, who always preaches with a purpose.

Less than 24 hours after qualifying for the playoffs, Edwards opened his New Yearís Day news conference ranting about how his Chiefs didnít luck into or back into the playoffs.

ďLetís not get this thing twisted and think we backed into this deal,Ē Edwards preached with the necessary emotion to catch the eye of ESPN producers. ďWe didnít lose, we won. Every team that played this weekend played at home and had an opportunity to get into the playoffs just like us. We just happened to win. Whatís wrong with that? So, letís not get it twisted and say, ĎWell, theyíre lucky.í We didnít get lucky. We won.Ē

Why the unprovoked rant? Edwards said he wanted to transfer his attitude to his players and he could sense that some people thought the Chiefs were lucky.

ďIím not irritated,Ē Edwards said. ďIím just making a point. Itís playoff time now. Iím in a different mode, I think a real different mode all of a sudden. Iím in a different frame of mind.Ē

Hmm. Thatís one way to look at it. Thereís also another way to view Hermís tirade.

Maybe Herm thought it was important to convince his players, the local and national media and Kansas City football fans that the Chiefs werenít lucky because he knows Carl Peterson sent the clear message he didnít think the Chiefs would qualify for postseason play when he placed Jason Dunn and Kyle Turley on injured reserve before the Jacksonville game.

Marinate on that for a moment.

The Chiefs wonít have the services of one of the leagueís top run-blocking tight ends in a playoff game that likely will hinge on KCís ability to control the clock with Larry Johnson.

Peterson, in my opinion, made a gigantic tactical error.

He placed Dunn, Turley and Rich Scanlon on injured reserve so the Chiefs could elevate practice-squaders Casey Printers, Chris Hannon and William Kershaw to the 53-man roster. By placing Printers, Hannon and Kershaw on the final 53-man roster it protects the Chiefs from an opposing team poaching one of the three players from KCís practice squad this offseason.

Teams are justifiably paranoid about losing their practice-squad players. A couple of years ago, the Chiefs cut guard Ryan Lilja with the hopes they could place him on their practice squad. The Colts scooped up Lilja, and heís been a regular starter in Indy for two years.

The Chiefs said they placed Dunn on IR because doctors wonít clear him to play now that they miraculously discovered he has a herniated disk in his back in week 16.

Dunn told me Monday that heís played with the injury for six weeks. When he entered Arrowhead Stadium on Monday for a brief team meeting, Dunn told me he hoped the Chiefs could reverse the decision. <b>When Dunn left Arrowhead, he told me that assistant general manager Denny Thum told him that the Chiefs regretted placing Dunn on IR and they wouldnít have done it if they thought they were going to qualify for the playoffs.</b>

ďI could play four more games,Ē said Dunn, who admitted heíll undergo surgery this offseason. ďIíve been playing with it.Ē

Dunnís absence Saturday will place more pressure on Tony Gonzalez and Kris Wilson. Gonzalez will have more blocking responsibility.

Wilson will pull double duty between fullback and tight end. Linemen John Welbourn and Chris Bober will get some time at tight end.

Dunnís absence hamstrings the offensive coaching staff. Dunn has never been a big part of KCís passing game, but heís always been a threat in KCís pass offense. And blocking on the edge against outside linebackers and working up to safeties requires a combination of strength and athletic ability that few offensive linemen possess.

Dunnís absence is big. But that probably wonít get talked about on ESPN this week because Herm created a nice little distraction. Herm is smart, and heís a team player. He fell on Carl Petersonís grenade.

How does it feel to have Whitlock rip you off? Congrats..

Direckshun
01-02-2007, 06:05 AM
WHAT ABOUT SCANLON, I ASK THEE.

WHAT ABOUT SCANLON.

Braincase
01-02-2007, 08:30 AM
WHAT ABOUT SCANLON, I ASK THEE.

WHAT ABOUT SCANLON.

Scanlon is really on a secret government mission to bring peace to the Middle East, kill Osama, rescue that Israeli soldier, and destroy the will of the insurgents by breeding with all of their women, thus creating a race of NeoScanlarabs that will take over and rule the Middle East by the time their pubes grow in.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Scanlon is really on a secret government mission to bring peace to the Middle East, kill Osama, rescue that Israeli soldier, and destroy the will of the insurgents by breeding with all of their women, thus creating a race of NeoScanlarabs that will take over and rule the Middle East by the time their pubes grow in.
Scalon was killed by Jack Bauer last week.

ct
01-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Can't say that I blame em, I had written this team off after the Cleveland joke job. Man it hurts right now though...

crazycoffey
01-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Bob Dole noticed Welbourne on at least one sack.

yeah, no joke, he looked like he was missing the steriods, he doesn't play as strong, now that he's clean.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 10:29 AM
It doesn't take 20/20 hindsight. We weren't mathematically eliminated from the play-offs.

Just inject a little common sense. It's not brilliance, or hindsight, or pretentiousness. It's just common sense.When Dunn left Arrowhead, he told me that assistant general manager Denny Thum told him that the Chiefs regretted placing Dunn on IR and they wouldnít have done it if they thought they were going to qualify for the playoffs.

so mr. smartassfansarestupidprick ... what's up with this?

i guess the chiefs did move as if the season was over.

mikey23545
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Bump for jspchief.... :)

htismaqe
01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Dunn told Whitlock that Thum told him that...

Sounds like some of the posts here...

mikey23545
01-02-2007, 04:22 PM
so mr. smartassfansarestupidprick ... what's up with this?

i guess the chiefs did move as if the season was over.

You are not thinking with common sense...If you could see as clearly as jspchief, you would realize how stupid a statement that is....

mikey23545
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh, jspchief, did you turn in early tonight?.... :)