PDA

View Full Version : Bring back RBbC!!!!!

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Just for this one game, get Michael Bennett involved in the game, and some end arounds to Dante/Eddie. Maybe a trap to Kris Wilson. Look, if we are starting Trent, we can't depend on his arm/decisions to beat the Colts at home indoors. Jax used 3 RBs to slice Indy up for over 300 yards rushing.
Using multiple backs will keep the Colts from just sending LBs into the A & B gaps like AZ and Pittsburg did earlier in the year. Bennett's reps will keep them off balance with his quickness and jukability, and he will keep LJ's legs fresh. If Solari thinks just sending LJ into the gap between guard and tackle all day will beat Indy, he's delerious.

The way I see it, this is the same scheme the 1969 Chiefs used to dismantle the Vikings. Clever RBbC, a variety of formations/shifts/motions, just enough smart, efficient passing to keep them honest (I see Gonzo in the Otis Taylor role).

Larry - 24 carries for 145 yds
Bennett - 12 carries 70 yards
Dante - 2 carries for 15 yards
KW - 2 carries for 8 yards

Just for this one game. :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/32582ndABN/LJvsJax.jpg

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2007, 09:22 PM
No.

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I think I'd rather see LJ get 40 carries and Bennett get 15 carries and we dominate the TOP 51:9

BUT THIS ISN'T A PERFECT WORLD, NOW IS IT =( =( =(

patteeu
01-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm definitely for getting Michael Bennett involved in this game, but there's no way LJ gets only 20 carries.

LJ 30 carries
Michael Bennet 10+ carries

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 09:31 PM
I think I'd rather see LJ get 40 carries and Bennett get 15 carries and we dominate the TOP 51:9

BUT THIS ISN'T A PERFECT WORLD, NOW IS IT =( =( =(

LJ has an NFL record 416 attempts this year and goes into Indy on 6 days rest. Jax slew the porous Indy D with 2 RBs with different styles and talents. Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew were both fresh for the whole game. They racked up over 300 yards rushing. Bennett is a PB Tailback. So is LJ. Why would you NOT use this game plan, seeing Jax employed it to a 44-17 thrashing of the Colts?

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm definitely for getting Michael Bennett involved in this game, but there's no way LJ gets only 20 carries.

LJ 30 carries

I changed it to 24 carries....

Short Leash Hootie
01-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I DON'T CARE IF LJ HAS TO RUSH THE BALL 2,185 TIMES IF WE WIN A SUPER BOWL...

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I DON'T CARE IF LJ HAS TO RUSH THE BALL 2,185 TIMES IF WE WIN A SUPER BOWL...

Who put the biggest thumping on Indy this year? Jax. How did they do it? RBbC. WE have 2 PB RBs that will both stay fresh and keep the Colts from settling into a run stopping scheme set to stop LJ. I dunno, if I'm a coach and I see the team we just beat stomped Indy 44-17, I'm paying close attention to how they did it....

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
LJ has an NFL record 416 attempts this year and goes into Indy on 6 days rest. Jax slew the porous Indy D with 2 RBs with different styles and talents. Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew were both fresh for the whole game. They racked up over 300 yards rushing. Bennett is a PB Tailback. So is LJ. Why would you NOT use this game plan, seeing Jax employed it to a 44-17 thrashing of the Colts?

The 6 days won't hurt LJ.

Heck he set a record this year with having the most carries in a 4 day span (Raiders, then against the Donkeys on Thanksgiving).

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Jax 44, Colts 17

MJD: 15 carries, 166 yds, 2 TDs
F. Taylor: 9 carries, 131 yds, 1 TD
A. Pearman: 13 carries, 71 yds 1 TD

We definitely have the horses to get that done.

Rausch
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM

LJ 30 carries

Perfect...

KChiefer
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
We definatly need to run the hell outta the colts. How bout even running split backs with LJ and MB. I'm no NFL genious, but it's another way to keep the colt off balance.

However we do it. We need to run. Even if we get down. I couldn't believe how much the Pats passed in there loss to Indy. They went 50/50 run/pass and it resulted in 4 picks and a loss.

Hoover
01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Sure we need to run the ball with LJ and MB but we also need to pass on first down and use play action.

Hoover
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I also think you have to realize that this is LJ's team, he is our best player and if he wants the rock, we give him the effin ball.

Jax used the RBBC because they have too, we don't have to because we have a work horse bad ass running back. Give him the ball and spell him with MB, there is no reason to plan a certain amount of carries for any back other thank LJ.

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
We definatly need to run the hell outta the colts. How bout even running split backs with LJ and MB. I'm no NFL genious, but it's another way to keep the colt off balance.

However we do it. We need to run. Even if we get down. I couldn't believe how much the Pats passed in there loss to Indy. They went 50/50 run/pass and it resulted in 4 picks and a loss.

Exactly. The point is, run the ball, be unpredictable, keep fresh legs in the backfield, exploit the differences between the 2 PB RBs we have and make INdy's 5.3 YPC run D chase them all day like Jax did.

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I also think you have to realize that this is LJ's team, he is our best player and if he wants the rock, we give him the effin ball.

Jax used the RBBC because they have too, we don't have to because we have a work horse bad ass running back. Give him the ball and spell him with MB, there is no reason to plan a certain amount of carries for any back other thank LJ.

DUDE, Jax ran 3 RBs for (count 'em) three-hundred and seventy-five (375) yards against this defense. We do NOT have a QB that can keep pace with Peyton and he WILL get his gaudy stats. I love LJ, but he is not by himself better than the combo of MJD/FT/AP for 375 yards.

Hey, I'm just looking at what beat the crap outta Indy. If you want a great stat day for your favorite player and a loss, have fun.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2007, 10:37 PM
We do NOT have a QB that can keep pace with Peyton and he WILL get his gaudy stats. I love LJ, but he is not by himself better than the combo of MJD/FT/AP for 375 yards.

KC does have the QB, but not the O-line to keep the game on pace concerning the passing situation.

Hoover
01-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I said we should spell LJ witgh MB but we need to ride our horse. If not we are stupid.

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I said we should spell LJ witgh MB but we need to ride our horse. If not we are stupid.

I don't think you realize that LJ could be the greatest RB since Jim Brown if 40% of his carries we not wasted on predictable blasts between the tackles on 1st and 2nd down. This is ONE game where we are facing one of the best offenses in the NFL and the NFL's best QB. Do something a little different, that's all I'm saying. Jax left us a grand blue print, we're stupid if we don't follow it.

trndobrd
01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Sure we need to run the ball with LJ and MB but we also need to pass on first down and use play action.

Or bring out that flea-flicker on the first offensive snap of the game.

trndobrd
01-01-2007, 10:52 PM
LJ -30 runs / 4 passes
MB - 8 runs
Hall -1 WR screen
Kennison -1 one end around
KW -1 run / 3 short passes to the flat
Dee Brown - 0

Hoover
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think you realize that LJ could be the greatest RB since Jim Brown if 40% of his carries we not wasted on predictable blasts between the tackles on 1st and 2nd down. This is ONE game where we are facing one of the best offenses in the NFL and the NFL's best QB. Do something a little different, that's all I'm saying. Jax left us a grand blue print, we're stupid if we don't follow it.
I think you tend to over think things.

When you have one of the top three RBs in the league you give him the rock time and time again. Why? Because he earned it.

Should MB get the ball on Saturday? Yes, how many times? I have no clue because if LJ wants the ball you give it to him.

T-post Tom
01-01-2007, 10:56 PM
KC Johnny is right. I'm not sure about the ratio, but MB has to see more touches. It makes the offense less predictable. Predictability has become the bane of this offense. While Chris Wilson seems to be coming around, I'd really like to see a few more 2 back sets with Johnson & Bennett in at the same time. Whatever the plan, I hope that the offensive coaches find some measure of unpredictability and surprise in their playcalling this week.

And the same can be said for the defensive coaches. They HAVE to find a way to make Indy punt the ball more than once. Indy is a great team and our players are going to need improved playcalling on both sides of the ball if they want to advance to the next round. Light a candle for the coaches...

Halfcan
01-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I think screen passes to LJ will be more efficient-no way their crappy corners can tackle him.

Gonzo down the middle!!!

trndobrd
01-01-2007, 11:03 PM

When you have one of the top three RBs in the league you give him the rock time and time again. Why? Because he earned it.

Should MB get the ball on Saturday? Yes, how many times? I have no clue because if LJ wants the ball you give it to him.

When you have one of the top RBs in the leauge you give it to him because he gets stronger as the game goes on, gets into a rhythm and flow and becomes more productive with more carries.

Frankly, neither Fred Taylor nor Maurice Jones-Drew could sustain a 30+ carry game. Taylor is too injury prone and Jones-Drew...well, he would just get killed. So the Jags RBC is probably more a matter of necessity than intentional plan.

Having said that, I would like to see Bennett getting 10 or so carries a game. I think he provides an outstanding change of pace.

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 11:33 PM

That's the kind of selfish Me-First thinking that makes for great stats and no championships. Please don't make LJ into the Kobe/Allen Iverson of the NFL.

KCJohnny
01-01-2007, 11:34 PM
KC Johnny is right. I'm not sure about the ratio, but MB has to see more touches. It makes the offense less predictable. Predictability has become the bane of this offense. While Chris Wilson seems to be coming around, I'd really like to see a few more 2 back sets with Johnson & Bennett in at the same time. Whatever the plan, I hope that the offensive coaches find some measure of unpredictability and surprise in their playcalling this week.

And the same can be said for the defensive coaches. They HAVE to find a way to make Indy punt the ball more than once. Indy is a great team and our players are going to need improved playcalling on both sides of the ball if they want to advance to the next round. Light a candle for the coaches...

Thank you, T-Post. Do the math, people. We have 2 PB RBs against the worst run D in the NFL. Jax beat them 44-17 by using RBbC. DO WHAT J-ville did for crying out loud.

PastorMikH
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
I've thought about this too. The Colts are the worst team in the AFC against the run -They know this. They also know that if 5 days they will be facing Larry Johnson. I can only imagine how much emphasis they must be placing on LJ this week. Bennet would be enough of a change of pace that I think he would really put the Colts on their heels.

I'd LOVE to see a pro-set style play with LJ and Bennet in - one on each side of Trent.

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I've thought about this too. The Colts are the worst team in the AFC against the run -They know this. They also know that if 5 days they will be facing Larry Johnson. I can only imagine how much emphasis they must be placing on LJ this week. Bennet would be enough of a change of pace that I think he would really put the Colts on their heels.

I'd LOVE to see a pro-set style play with LJ and Bennet in - one on each side of Trent.

There have been a couple of games this year where Bennett has had HUGE runs when the D was stacked up to stop LJ. Need I say more?

TinyEvel
01-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Two words: FLEA MOTHER****ING FLICKER (on 1st down, too!)

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 09:50 AM
When you have one of the top RBs in the leauge you give it to him because he gets stronger as the game goes on, gets into a rhythm and flow and becomes more productive with more carries.

Frankly, neither Fred Taylor nor Maurice Jones-Drew could sustain a 30+ carry game. Taylor is too injury prone and Jones-Drew...well, he would just get killed. So the Jags RBC is probably more a matter of necessity than intentional plan.

Having said that, I would like to see Bennett getting 10 or so carries a game. I think he provides an outstanding change of pace.

Then how do you explain Pearman's 13 carries for 71 yds and a TD? I don't think it was an issue of not having a durable enough back as much as it was hitting the Colts with different looks from all 3 RBs.

What that game seemed to dramatize is that if you can get your RB beyond the LOS, ANYTHING is possible. If we can get LJ/Bennett past the LOS, I think they can beat the Colts LBs and then its off to the races. At least that's how the Jags torched them for 375 yards.

None of this addresses the obvious, of course: how do we with a 15th ranked defense stop Manning's scoring machine at home on carpet?

morphius
01-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I say we will need to mix it up with both Bennett and LJ in the backfield. Hopefully Bennett can stay healthy for an entire game, which I'm beginning to doubt.

KChiefer
01-02-2007, 10:05 AM
I say we will need to mix it up with both Bennett and LJ in the backfield. Hopefully Bennett can stay healthy for an entire game, which I'm beginning to doubt.

Dude, how's he gonna get hurt when Indy's softer than an Air-Spring-Matress!!!

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Dude, how's he gonna get hurt when Indy's softer than an Air-Spring-Matress!!!

True, but they are also playing on Carpet which is 10x as evil as real grass. Bennett is a great carpet runner. If we rip off some big runs and move the sticks, we will take the Indy home crowd out of the game early.

KChiefer
01-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I hear ya. I just wanted to say "softer than an air-spring-matress."

"It's gold Jerry! GOLD!"

El Jefe
01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Patteeu, I agree with you, Herm will give LJ the rock at least 30 times, I see bennett getting 10-15 carries. I like the idea of DH on a few end arounds. I would also like to see a few more screen, what about a FB screen to Big Foot?

Fat Elvis
01-02-2007, 11:35 AM
That's the kind of selfish Me-First thinking that makes for great stats and no championships. Please don't make LJ into the Kobe/Allen Iverson of the NFL.

Uh, both Kobe and Iverson have championship rings.....

Skip Towne
01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Just for this one game, get Michael Bennett involved in the game, and some end arounds to Dante/Eddie. Maybe a trap to Kris Wilson. Look, if we are starting Trent, we can't depend on his arm/decisions to beat the Colts at home indoors. Jax used 3 RBs to slice Indy up for over 300 yards rushing.
Using multiple backs will keep the Colts from just sending LBs into the A & B gaps like AZ and Pittsburg did earlier in the year. Bennett's reps will keep them off balance with his quickness and jukability, and he will keep LJ's legs fresh. If Solari thinks just sending LJ into the gap between guard and tackle all day will beat Indy, he's delerious.

The way I see it, this is the same scheme the 1969 Chiefs used to dismantle the Vikings. Clever RBbC, a variety of formations/shifts/motions, just enough smart, efficient passing to keep them honest (I see Gonzo in the Otis Taylor role).

Larry - 24 carries for 145 yds
Bennett - 12 carries 70 yards
Dante - 2 carries for 15 yards
KW - 2 carries for 8 yards

Just for this one game. :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/32582ndABN/LJvsJax.jpg
If we're going to be the '69 Chiefs we wil probably use Bennett on the 65 Toss Power Trap. Who do you see as Frank Pitts running the 51 G-O Reverse? (The flanker around Stram ran over and over to bedevil the Vikes)

htismaqe
01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Uh, both Kobe and Iverson have championship rings.....

And Karl Malone doesn't. :hmmm:

Chief Henry
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
And Karl Malone doesn't. :hmmm:

and the mailman delivers... ;)

Inregards to the rbbc conversation. I just think that Indy will
put 8, maybe 9 guys in the box and we're going to have to mix it up
a little. I would not mind seeing LJ and Bennett in on the same plays
a few times. Fake the hand off and then pop a screen to Bennett.

If the Colts rush Defense is as bad as everyone sas, then we need to
utilize our strength, which is running the ball. Having said that, I would hope the play action pass would be a open all game long with Gonzo.
Then we have to hope that Trent hits the receivers in the hands instead of there feet !!! If Trent struggles then we have to go to Huard with out question, imo.

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
If we're going to be the '69 Chiefs we wil probably use Bennett on the 65 Toss Power Trap. Who do you see as Frank Pitts running the 51 G-O Reverse? (The flanker around Stram ran over and over to bedevil the Vikes)

None of our guys are as fast as Frank Pitts, but Dante might be able to make up for it in jukability against the porous Indy run D. I would try Ron Webb simply because no one would suspect him.

The Bottom Line is that our passing offense with Green is more of a liability than an asset which means we MUST maximize our rushing offense. We can't give it to Larry 45x without seriously wearing him down. I say use the RBbC and keep them as off-balance as Jax did to the tune of 375 yards and 44 points. If we don't, its our own fault. We HAVE the horses to do it. TWO pro bowl RBs...

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Inregards to the rbbc conversation. I just think that Indy will
put 8, maybe 9 guys in the box and we're going to have to mix it up
a little. I would not mind seeing LJ and Bennett in on the same plays
a few times. Fake the hand off and then pop a screen to Bennett.

If the Colts rush Defense is as bad as everyone sas, then we need to
utilize our strength, which is running the ball. Having said that, I would hope the play action pass would be a open all game long with Gonzo.
Then we have to hope that Trent hits the receivers in the hands instead of there feet !!! If Trent struggles then we have to go to Huard with out question, imo.

If Indy stacks the box and we have no credible threat over the top, we will lose. Even a defense as average as Arizona's cold-cocked LJ when we went run/run/pass. So a D as bad as Indy's playing at home for the playoffs WILL show up, and if all we do is bang Larry against 8-man fronts all day, we will squander the greatest miracle this city has received (football wise) in a generation.

From KCchiefs.com:
Only St. Louis (10) has allowed more 100-yard rushers than Indianapolis (9) and Oakland (9) this season. The Colts rank 32nd in the NFL in rushing defense, allowing 173.0 ypg. Indianapolis has registered a 3-4 record in its last seven contests. Over that seven-game span, the Colts have actually permitted 190.6 rushing ypg. In the Colts four regular season losses, Indianapolis has relinquished an average of 225.5 rushing ypg. The Chiefs single-game playoff rushing rushing record of 176 yards was established by RB Priest Holmes in Kansas City’s most recent postseason contest, a 38-31 loss vs. Indianapolis (1/11/04).

KCJohnny
01-03-2007, 09:48 PM
In the RCA dome, Jax rushed for over 200 yards, controlled the ball for 39:24, and LOST 21-14. The reason? The stellar passing attack that produced 106 whole yards and 2 INTs. There's your smoking gun, folks.

If we are not going to throw for 250+ yards and play not-to-lose in the passing game, we need a home run performance from the entire ground attack....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/32582ndABN/ChiefsSeahawks_SP_0464_10-29-2006_J.jpg

...yes, this was my cheesy way of bumping this topic back to the top.... :o)

KCJohnny
01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR8Ug7UWySI