PDA

View Full Version : Will we have the stones to blitz?

CupidStunt
01-02-2007, 01:54 AM
We might be toast either way, but if we sit back and play a convential cover-2, we have no chance.

Will Herm and Gun realize what everyone else does? That, of course, Manning is at his worst when under pressure.

tk13
01-02-2007, 02:10 AM
Gun rattled him pretty good in the first half the last time we played. The 3-4 teams blitz the heck out of him, but there were an increasing number of teams that would drop a bunch of guys in coverage and not let Manning beat them deep this year, make him try and work down the field. Manning is like a robot sometimes. You have to be able to strike and be on the ball when he does that though, or he'll just dink and dunk you to death.

I have faith Gun is going to do better than Robinson did. I sure hope so. Manning watched every play we ran all year preparing for that game... and it paid off big time. I'm sure Gun is going to throw some stuff we haven't seen out there.

Count Zarth
01-02-2007, 02:17 AM
This might be a homer statement, but other than the Ravens, I can't think of a defense I'd rather have out there against the Colts offense than ours.

tk13
01-02-2007, 02:23 AM
The Chargers did pretty good against him last year. Usually 3-4 defenses do, because he does so much guessing before the snap more can go wrong, I guess.

I really think this defense has the potential to play well. We've got playmakers in Hali, Allen, DJ... Ty Law has usually had success. They also have the potential to flame out and give up 45 points. At least it's not a mobile QB.

KcMizzou
01-02-2007, 02:23 AM
This might be a homer statement, but other than the Ravens, I can't think of a defense I'd rather have out there against the Colts offense than ours.Chargers... then ours.

KurtCobain
01-02-2007, 02:24 AM
At least it's not a mobile QB.

Thank god

KcMizzou
01-02-2007, 02:25 AM
At least it's not a mobile QB.That's key, IMO. Mannings not gonna bust any 20 yd runs on us.

el borracho
01-02-2007, 02:42 AM
We pretty much have to blitz. Our front 4 aren't good enough against most Olines.

BigRock
01-02-2007, 04:08 AM
Gun really did do a good job in the last game against Indy. I think he has Peyton figured out a little bit, probably going back to his stint with the Titans in the Colts' division. Since Gun came back, that Colts game in the '04 season is one of the really big examples of the defense clearly going in with a gameplan and executing it, although the Colts did adjust well in the second half.

What worries me, though, is that we run the cover 2 now. So do the Colts. It's the same thing Peyton sees in practice every day. Can Gun (or anyone) manage to slow down Peyton while showing him looks that he practices against?

It'll be interesting to see what they do. If they haven't already, hopefully Gun and Herm will put their heads together with Ty Law, since he knows full well what the Pats have done to frustrate Peyton over the years.

mcan
01-02-2007, 05:33 AM
The other thing that could be devastating is that when the other team goes no-huddle, we almost always go into the cover 2. Kawika touches his left forearm to show everybody what to do. Believe me, Peyton knows that about us, and he'll try to take advantage:

Go no-huddle, if Kawika touches his arm, throw to the corners or between the zones. If he does anything else, you'll probably have man coverage outside, and one of the recievers will be in single coverage...

KChiefer
01-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Is it just me or do we tip our blitzes too much. When we bring everyone to the line at least they don't know who's coming, but then ppl in coverage can get out of postion.

We need to fake blitzes to one side and then after Manning audibles, really bring something different.

Count Zarth
01-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Since Gun came back, that Colts game in the '04 season is one of the really big examples of the defense clearly going in with a gameplan and executing it, although the Colts did adjust well in the second half.

Gunther still can't adjust. As soon as Quinn Gray started playing streetball they should have had someone spying him on every play.

BigRedChief
01-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Payton can't be allowed to pick you apart. To sit comfortably in the pocket. If that happens we are dead in the water. Because of the play of our DT's we are going to have to gamble and blitz.

Frosty
01-02-2007, 07:51 AM

Or a back-up QB. :rolleyes:

Chiefs_Fan
01-02-2007, 08:38 AM
We have got to put Manning on his back early! All it will take is one hard hit to make him start thinking.

DJ and Allen need a great game!

boogblaster
01-02-2007, 08:44 AM
BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ THEN BLITZ SOME MORE

Wile_E_Coyote
01-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Allen has a new contract coming up to pay any fines & you know if he gets within 2 feet of Peyton he will be fined

crazycoffey
01-02-2007, 09:28 AM

That's key, IMO. Mannings not gonna bust any 20 yd runs on us.

You know Payton ran for about 12 and dove for a TD, taking a pretty good hit from two Miami Defenders just last week.

Hopefully he was hit hard enough to not want to try that again. We need him to not be mobile, and we can't knock him out of the game because of our luck against back-ups. (I know someone else just mentioned that too)

Hold them to a few FG and make them punt at least twice, we should run on them and get to the endzone more than them and not have to punt more than once. Keys to a victory in Indy.

GoHuge
01-02-2007, 09:41 AM
The other thing that could be devastating is that when the other team goes no-huddle, we almost always go into the cover 2. Kawika touches his left forearm to show everybody what to do. Believe me, Peyton knows that about us, and he'll try to take advantage:

Go no-huddle, if Kawika touches his arm, throw to the corners or between the zones. If he does anything else, you'll probably have man coverage outside, and one of the recievers will be in single coverage...If Peyton goes no-huddle were smoked. Everybody that has done it has torn us up and he really will. The best thing we can do is keep him off the field. Run LJ RUN!!!

GROB
01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
This might be a homer statement, but other than the Ravens, I can't think of a defense I'd rather have out there against the Colts offense than ours.
Yes homerism is there, KC's D doesn't matchup well as if they rush just 4 Manning will pick them apart and BLitzing him means sending too many people out of a 4-3 and dropping DL is useless against them. 3-4 work because you can blitz and not send more than 5 at him from different spots. KC better hope that the front 4 gets it done and can give LJ the ball 35 times.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Gunther is the part that bothers me most. He'll have to make sure Addai doesn't gash us on the stretch, which leads to their killer play action.

Yea, Gunther worries me. A LOT.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
He def. needs to get knocked down alot to make him think, Jared Allen better be all over him.

StcChief
01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Gunther better be ready in the playoffs this time...
He has the players now (no excuses).

Better be a long week for him 16+ hr days, cot in the office.

If he blows this one, he may be gone.

Eric
01-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Blitzing is fools gold against smart teams.

Couple of games ago a reporter asked Herm why his team doesn't blitz and he said we do. We just don't get there.

Enough reason to take another Dline player in the draft.

MOhillbilly
01-02-2007, 11:35 AM
i can see situational blitzes but beyond that i dont think its a good idea.

Logical
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Given our inability to disguise our blitzes I say forget em again Manning.

Logical
01-02-2007, 02:33 PM
This might be a homer statement, but other than the Ravens, I can't think of a defense I'd rather have out there against the Colts offense than ours.Sounds fairly idiotic to me, not just homerish.

Chargers,
Bears,
Broncos
Dolphins
Steelers
Titans,

Ravens (which you mentioned) and that is just the top 7. I am sure there are at least 5 more.