PDA

View Full Version : No friggen wonder

Over-Head
01-02-2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/01/02/dawes_worst_nfl_award_of_2006/

..."defensive back Adam Archuleta, signed by the Redskins, who else, and benched over the course of the season. Archuleta was signed to a $35 million dollar contract with a $5 million dollar signing bonus and a $10 million guarantee, and heís not good enough to start."

This folks is EXACTLY why football is in the shape itís in.
You have agents making these bitchy millionaires believe they are worth this kind of cash, team owners stupid enough to give it to them, and presto!
Forget "Love of the game" letís just see how much we can rape the "industry" for .

Hereís a wild thought!
Ya go in IR, NO PAY CHEQUE!-Bitch all ya want, you signed a contract to provide a service for which you would get paid. With more money up front than 90% of the people in America will make in their life time. If ya canít budget it for a rainy day TOUGH LUCK!

No performance NO PAY!
Forget this BS of "I just wasnít firing on all cylinders today" Screw you azzhole! Your making 50 grand an hour and you have a bad day??? WTF????

Insult/embarrass or otherwise disgrace your team in the media-
Ya get canned! Do not pass go, do not collect 200, go straight to the unemployment line.
Forget the "players union crap" and treat your job like it is. A PROFESSIONAL CAREER!
Hell Iíve fired people for less than what some of these clowns get away with in the news media, and Iím sure there are a few self employed business owners here on the planet that have as well.

Lastly, have an open tryout!
Dick did it with the Eagles way back when, and they did a movie about it.
There are guyís out there who would actually play for less than mind blowing amounts of cash, and could probably give us a better game to watch.

Try this.
Start EVERY PLAYER at the same base rate of say 500-850,000 a year (much like the CFL) BUT add another mill or 2 in incentives.
The NFL is Union run, Union operated, and will only get worse as IMO "most" unions do.
You end up with Over paid, UNDER worked millionaires who just donít care. As long as they can pay for the Porsche, and Bell Air mansion.
This business is going to hell in a hand basket, and is only gonna get worse. . :cuss:

mylittlepony
01-02-2007, 07:34 AM
As I read the headline I thought of the Redskins straight away.

Mecca
01-02-2007, 07:36 AM
The NFL players are already in a worse position than every other sport because they don't have guarenteed contracts.....wanting to add even more burden on that when they're game is the most physically violent is a bit much.

I got this novel idea.......scout better be smarter about who you sign. And in fairness Archuletta had gone to the Pro Bowl a few times before signing with them, some signings work some don't. I seriously doubt Dan Snyder is gonna go broke cause he paid Adam Archuletta.

Mecca
01-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Also how come no one talks about the owners who are making billions of dollars? Atleast the players are the reason the game is popular they should be getting a piece of the pie.

And for the IR thing......most every football player on IR was injured playing football correct.....if you get injured at work do you not get something called workers compensation?

Your views are a bit over the top and would never happen......like I pointed out the NFL players are already in a worse spot than the other leagues.

TN_Chief
01-02-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm just curious about why you're vilifying Archuleta. The guy has never been a problem player or an attitude case. He didn't hold a gun to Dan Snyder's head and force him to offer a huge contract (which based on his play to that point was probably fair). He didn't make the decision to bench himself, the coaches did that when he had a couple of bad games.

What exactly is it that you wanted him to do?

Mecca
01-02-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm just curious about why you're vilifying Archuleta. The guy has never been a problem player or an attitude case. He didn't hold a gun to Dan Snyder's head and force him to offer a huge contract (which based on his play to that point was probably fair). He didn't make the decision to bench himself, the coaches did that when he had a couple of bad games.

What exactly is it that you wanted him to do?

It's obviously Archuletta's fault for signing the contract......he should pay the money back :rolleyes:

TN_Chief
01-02-2007, 07:57 AM
I've got no problem listening to arguments that the way players are paid should be changed. I've felt that way for a long time, and I think it goes for baseball and basketball (especially hoop...guaranteed contracts have screwed things up badly). I'd much prefer a system that provided a guaranteed low base salary and rewarded teams and players for their team and individual achievements. I suspect figuring out how to dole out the "bonus" money wouldn't be easy but I'm sure it could be done.

IMO sports like golf and tennis (granted, I hate calling them sports) are better because unless you're winning you're really not getting paid (ignore endorsements for the sake of the argument).

I'm still just lost as to why Archuleta is the selected poster boy for this problem. Try Randy Moss, who practically flaunts his disinterest while collecting his paycheck. I read an interview with Archuleta a couple of weeks ago and he was pissed that he wasn't playing more (it almost sounded as though he thought the GM that signed him hadn't checked with the coaches to make sure they wanted him).

Over-Head
01-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Also how come no one talks about the owners who are making billions of dollars? Atleast the players are the reason the game is popular they should be getting a piece of the pie.4 or 5 mill UP FRONT signing bonuses is NOT getting a peice of the pie?I'm confused here. :hmmm:And for the IR thing......most every football player on IR was injured playing football correct.....if you get injured at work do you not get something called workers compensation?Yep workers comp pays roughly 55% of normal salary here in Canada, can't se it being much better down south of the border. (Government cheques aren't always so great after all)
Are the players willing to give up half their cheque like YOU AND I have to?Your views are a bit over the top and would never happen......like I pointed out the NFL players are already in a worse spot than the other leagues.Really?
How much do Lacross players earn? How about the CFL players?
You didn't specify "which other leagues" so I'm assuming it's open territory.
The national Rodeo ain't paying that kind of cash, and those guy's take just as big a risk if not more.

The general point I was trying to make it that the current trend is "go for the green" and to hell with the game. I read an SI article ( about 2 years ago)where 150 players were asked the same question (all these pusseys besides Jerry Rice and Michael Irving, hid their names by request.)
"If the league max you could earn was 1,000,000 a year would you still play the game?"
147 said NO,
Most of the responces all said the same thing "Not enough cash", "couldnít afford my current standerd of living" etc.

Let me get this stright, 1 Mill a year ain't enough? WTF?????

chagrin
01-03-2007, 06:47 AM
CFL Players, LMAO

Dude, this is the beauty of Capitalism, it's all about greed my man, all about greed - This debate is really pointless, I don't mean that in a "jerky" way.

Redcoats58
01-03-2007, 06:48 AM
4 or 5 mill UP FRONT signing bonuses is NOT getting a peice of the pie?I'm confused here. :hmmm:Yep workers comp pays roughly 55% of normal salary here in Canada, can't se it being much better down south of the border. (Government cheques aren't always so great after all)
Are the players willing to give up half their cheque like YOU AND I have to?Really?
How much do Lacross players earn? How about the CFL players?
You didn't specify "which other leagues" so I'm assuming it's open territory.
The national Rodeo ain't paying that kind of cash, and those guy's take just as big a risk if not more.

The general point I was trying to make it that the current trend is "go for the green" and to hell with the game. I read an SI article ( about 2 years ago)where 150 players were asked the same question (all these pusseys besides Jerry Rice and Michael Irving, hid their names by request.)
"If the league max you could earn was 1,000,000 a year would you still play the game?"
147 said NO,
Most of the responces all said the same thing "Not enough cash", "couldnít afford my current standerd of living" etc.

Let me get this stright, 1 Mill a year ain't enough? WTF?????

Yeah in hindsight the majority of players are always gonna answer that way. If they started at a million and then you asked them that question they would have no problem with it. You're basically asking a hypothetical to players that already have a set standard of living, no way in hell any of them wanna take that kind of pay cut. You can't blame the players for trying to make as much as possible, blame the owners who shell out the dough. Players will continue to make more and more because of the overwhelming popularity of the NFL. Because it is so popular it makes your argument about Rodeo and the CFL bunk, those don't bring in a quarter of the revenue of the NFL.

Halfcan
01-03-2007, 07:52 AM
The NFL players are already in a worse position than every other sport because they don't have guarenteed contracts.....wanting to add even more burden on that when they're game is the most physically violent is a bit much.

I got this novel idea.......scout better be smarter about who you sign. And in fairness Archuletta had gone to the Pro Bowl a few times before signing with them, some signings work some don't. I seriously doubt Dan Snyder is gonna go broke cause he paid Adam Archuletta.

ROFL You floor me-more physically than boxing, Ultimate Fighting, Hockey???

Hockey they punch each other in the face repeatedly while the refs watch-plus they can scramble there brains on the ice with a bad fall.

Lets not be too dramatic.