PDA

View Full Version : Can Goonther mix it up enough to contain Manning?

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
i'm a firm believer that to beat the colts you have to do 2 things.

1. control the ball on offense (duh!)

2. mix it up on defense

if you do the same thing on defense over and over again the colts will adjust .... and adjust fast.

if you blitz all the time they will kill you

if you don't blitz, or blitz badly, they will kill you.

imo their biggest strength on offense is the ability to adjust virtually from play to play on what kind of offense to run.

can the chiefs disguise what they are going to do well enough to not get torn apart?

can goonther mix up his blitzing and coverages enough to keep Manning honest?

Bowser
01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
No, by no fault of Gunther's. Peyton is this era's Dan Marino.

This game HAS to be won by our offense.

trndobrd
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. There really is no secret defensive scheme that the Colts can't adjust to exploit. The trick is to constantly change the look.

Personally, I like the 7 on the line look. There is no way to determine where, or even if, a blitz is coming. But that has its some problems as well, and is certainly not the final answer.

I think Gun will do OK, as long as he doesn't get in a rut and continually shifts looks up to the snap of the ball. Nothing is funnier than watching Manning flap his arms around for 5 seconds, then watching a defense shift back to their original formation.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. There really is no secret defensive scheme that the Colts can't adjust to exploit. The trick is to constantly change the look.

I think Gun will do OK, as long as he doesn't get in a rut

agreed ... but it seems like "rut" is gun's middle name.

tons of blitz ..... no blitzing(or least only token blitzing)

the same coverage,the same blitzes

whichever scheme works first is the one we stay with during the entire game.

Ari Chi3fs
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
As long as they punt once, Im happy. heh.

El Jefe
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I think if we just dont let them get big play after big play it will be a good game for us. I think the biggest thing in disrupting Peyton is the front four getting pressure we cant afford to blitz 2 LB's every play, we would get toasted. But you watch SD and Pitt against them last year and they blitzed manning all day and crushed him all day. We need Allen and Hali to have a huge game.

ChiTown
01-02-2007, 12:16 PM
The first team to punt twice, loses.........

FringeNC
01-02-2007, 12:21 PM
The one thing I will give our defense is that since the Cleveland debacle we have been better at disguising blitzes. Occasionally, Gunther will fool me, and I can't predict who is going to blitz.

jidar
01-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Actually, it's been observed that Peyton has more of a problem against base 3-4 defenses.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, it's been observed that Peyton has more of a problem against base 3-4 defenses.
and imo that's because the 3-4 defense are less predictable.

3-4 teams also tend to be zone blitzing teams.

the key is for Manning to not know what's gonna happen so easily.

Warrior5
01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
This, along with our offense grinding out time of possession, are the keys to victory.

Our pass defense MUST focus on getting Manning. No pressure on Manning = L; he will simply bide his time and wait for the eventual receiver to get open.

If Reed and Edwards have never roided up, now would be a good time to start...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2007, 01:23 PM
This, along with our offense grinding out time of possession, are the keys to victory.

Our pass defense MUST focus on getting Manning. No pressure on Manning = L; he will simply bide his time and wait for the eventual receiver to get open.

If Reed and Edwards have never roided up, now would be a good time to start...

Yep.

If we don't get any pressure on Manning, it will be just like the 03 playoff game. The only reason we won the 04 regular season game against the Colts is because we got some good pressure on Manning. Sure, he got his yards and TDs, but we rattled him enough where he was hearing the footsteps and got into his usual happy feet set up when he gets constant pressure.

Dartgod
01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I posted this in another thread. However, its more on topic for this one.

Defenses that rattle Manning are those that disrupt the receivers routes (jam them at the line) and get in his face by disgusing multiple blitz schemes. I'm not saying blitz every down, but we have to be aggressive.

I think this one aspect of the game is more important than who starts at QB or how many carries LJ gets.

El Jefe
01-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree with you Dartgod, you stop Manning and you win its that simple, but easier said than done.

PinkFloyd
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Peyton is the master of checking off on a called play... He will go up to the line --- check out the defense --- and 70% of the time will check off to a different play... He will use hand gestures to his recievers, and pat one side of his helment to check off... Watch him when he goes to the line --- he will do this all day...

Hopefully the defense won't show what their lining up to do, and then adjust to another defense after he checks off... Make Manning change his mind 5 times at the line... Maybe we can get a delay of game call a time or two...

FringeNC
01-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Defenses that rattle Manning are those that disrupt the receivers routes (jam them at the line) and get in his face by disgusing multiple blitz schemes. I'm not saying blitz every down, but we have to be aggressive.

I think this one aspect of the game is more important than who starts at QB or how many carries LJ gets.

Yep, that's right. If we play a vanilla cover-2, they won't punt again.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Yep. Defense wins.

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 01:52 PM
When the Dolts lost to the Steelers and the Chargers last year-it was because of a constant pressure in Mannings face right up the middle. He gets jumpy like his overpaid brother and makes bad choices and starts pouting and pointing fingers at his Oline.

But...I am not sure how we do that since that is our weakest spot on our whole team.

Maybe Gun can watch the tape of what SD did to Trent this last game-it all came straight up the middle.

trndobrd
01-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Peyton is the master of checking off on a called play... He will go up to the line --- check out the defense --- and 70% of the time will check off to a different play... He will use hand gestures to his recievers, and pat one side of his helment to check off... Watch him when he goes to the line --- he will do this all day...

Hopefully the defense won't show what their lining up to do, and then adjust to another defense after he checks off... Make Manning change his mind 5 times at the line... Maybe we can get a delay of game call a time or two...

The refs no longer call delay of game. :shake:

That is one reason why I like putting 7 on the line. There is no way to tell which, if any, of the LBs will be coming on a blitz, and who will be back in coverage. The CBs need to really stick the Indy WRs on the line.

Manning has a tendency to get frustrated if he gets hit a few times.

Calcountry
01-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Hopefully the defense won't show what their lining up to do, and then adjust to another defense after he checks off... Make Manning change his mind 5 times at the line... Maybe we can get a delay of game call a time or two...Frankly, a lot of Mannings crap, pre snap, is just that, crap.

Much of it is designed to get inside the D's head, because, regardless of the call, if his receiver gets open and you don't have pressure on him, it is a completion.

It certainly didn't work against Pittsburgh last year, and Frankly, the Chiefs have nothing to lose in this game except the game. They already have outperformed everyones expectations. That is quite a load off going into the game.

ROYC75
01-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Our D is going to have to be like stink on chit man, we must not allow Manning to have the open reciever with our DL. Hali and Allen are going to have turn it up a notch. We need exceptional coverage and maxi DL pressure all day.

Count Zarth
01-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Here's a thought: Bust out the St. Louis gameplan. Addai is nowhere near the threat that Jackson is.