PDA

View Full Version : KC @ INDY Primer

Warrior5
01-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I admit I gave up on our playoff chances after the Cleveland loss. The following losses against the Ravens and Chargers only confirmed my pessimism. Well, whoda thunk? Here we are, after beating the Jags (no small feat), and watching the highly improbable loss-trifecta happen, especially the Donk loss at home against the 49ers. It doesn’t matter how we got here. This is now the season; #6 seed against the #3 seed, the last four months merely a rollercoaster 16-game pre-season. Our record is 0-0. Obviously, stats are just stats, but they are tangibles:

KC Score O – 21 ppg (15) vs IND Score D – 23 ppg (23)…wash w/homefield
KC Rush O – 134 ypg (9) vs IND Rush D – 173 ypg (32)...adv KC
KC Pass O – 188 ypg (22) vs IND Pass D – 159 ypg (2)...adv IND

IND Score O – 27 ppg (2) vs KC Score D – 20 ppg (12)...adv IND
IND Rush O – 110 ypg (18) vs KC Rush D – 121 ypg (18)...wash
IND Pass O – 269 ypg (2) vs KC Pass D – 208 ypg (18)…adv IND

Turnovers:
IND – 9 INTs & 10 fumbles in 16 games (+7)
KC – 12 INT & 14 fumbles in 16 games (+4)
Adv Colts

Homefield Advantage: Colts

IND Key Players (12-4):
QB Manning – 4397 yds, 65% comp., 31 TDs, 9 INT
RB Addai – 1081 yds, 4.8 ypc, 7 TD
WR Harrison – 1366 yds, 12 TD
WR Wayne – 1310 yds, 9 TD
TE Clark – 367 yds, 4 TD
DE Freeney – 26 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 4 FF
DE Mathis – 50 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 4 FF
DT McFarland – 23 tackles, 2.5 sacks
DT Brock – 33 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 FF
LB June – 96 tackles, 1 sack, 3 INT, 2 FF
CB Harper – 58 tackles, 3 INT
Key IND injuries: should be out Wednesday.

Colts last game: In a typical, efficient pass-heavy attack, the Colts beat the Dolphins 27-22. Manning also ran for an 11-yard TD.

KC Key Players (9-7)
QB Green – 1342 yds, 61% comp., 7 TD, 9 INT
RB Johnson – 1789 yds, 4.3 ypc, 17 TD
RB Bennett – 200 yds, 5.6 ypc
TE Gonzales – 900 yds, 5 TD
WR Kennison – 860 yds, 5 TD
DE Allen – 65 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 INT
DE Hali – 40 tackles, 8 sacks, 5 FF
OLB Johnson – 57 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 2 FF
MLB Mitchell – 82 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 INT
CB Law – 61 tackles, 4 INT, 1 sack, 3 FF
CB Surtain – 58 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 2 FF
SS Knight – 74 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF
P Colquitt – 44 yd avg., 23 I20
Key KC injuries: should be out Wednesday

Chiefs’ last game: Behind LJ’s 134 rushing yards, great ST play, and a few uncharacteristic trick plays, the Chiefs beat the Jags 35-30. Trent Green’s three TOs nearly cost the game. The defense made crucial stops, but still allowed far too many passing yards.

The dome will be loud. The Colts have a great balanced offense, and a potent receiving arsenal with Harrison, Wayne, and Clark. Manning is the best QB in the league. But statistically they’re extremely susceptible to the run, the Chiefs’ strength. The Colts know we’re going to run LJ at them; they will stack the box to stop him, double-cover Gonzales, and force Green to air it out, hoping for him to force throws into coverage. The Chiefs should continue to utilize draws, short passes, and Gonzales to move the chains, eat time of possession, and keep Manning of the field. They have nothing to lose in continuing to use some trick stuff like they used against Jax. Since Manning will no doubt go no huddle at times and is a master at reading defenses, Gun needs to spend this week practicing stunts and disguised blitzes. Manning is less mobile than Green, so the D-line MUST get to him or he will light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine. Our CBs will have to jam more at the LOS to de-synch their routes and allow time for Allen & Hali to get to Manning. On STs, Colquitt (the stud) must shape a long playing field for them, and Hall is long overdue for flashing an X sign in the endzone. If the Chiefs were playing any other AFC team this week, I wouldn’t be confident. It’s time for a change, it’s time for revenge, and I think Tynes will end up kicking the Chiefs past the Colts 31-28.

Oregon chief
01-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Indy's pass D looks so good because they have no run D. Teams have no real need to pass much (thank god).

El Jefe
01-02-2007, 02:51 PM
If we can throw on the Jags secondary against Rashean Mathis we can throw against an Indy secondary thats depleted. Even if Bob Sanders plays we will still be able to throw on them, who are they gonna have cover TG, Cato June, Tony Brackett, Bob Sanders. I dont think so even if he gets doubled there are times he will be 1 on 1 and we will scorch them all day. Thats even if we pass when Larry is running for 250yds and 3 tds.

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Kwicka had a crappy year-we need to upgrade his spot-maybe move him to Bells side.

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Let's say both teams execute their strengths - Indy torches our pass D, we crush their run D - who does that favor? I think it boils down to RZ defense. If we can make Indy settle for FGs, we have >< that much of a chance.

Warrior5
01-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Let's say both teams execute their strengths - Indy torches our pass D, we crush their run D - who does that favor? I think it boils down to RZ defense. If we can make Indy settle for FGs, we have >< that much of a chance.

I'd add STs, TOs, and clock management.

KCJohnny
01-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I'd add STs, TOs, and clock management.

Since Green is starting, Indy gets the nod on 2 of those three variables. Herm can't manage the clock, Peyton's a genius at it, and Trent is a turnover machine since he got hurt. STs we have a tiny edge on kick blocks, but our kick coverage is weak.

chiefqueen
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Kwicka had a crappy year-we need to upgrade his spot-maybe move him to Bells side.

Mitchell is a UFA this offseason.