PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards Q&A - 1/2

tk13
01-02-2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/01/02/herm_edwards_press_conference__12/

Herm Edwards Press Conference - 1/2
Jan 02, 2007, 4:28:29 PM

HERM EDWARDS: “Indianapolis is a very, very high-powered offense. They’ve scored 30 points the last two home games and given up only 19 on defense. They’ve done a great job of scoring at home and have done a great job of taking the ball away. They’re plus seven in takeaways. That concerns you.

“They’re very good on third downs in the Red Zone in scoring: 56 %. They keep the ball in time of possession almost 30 minutes a game and they’re 8-0 at home.

“When you look at our football team there are not a lot of players who have been in a playoff game. We have seven starters who have never been. This team we are playing has been in the playoffs five years in a row. So, these guys understand the tempo, they understand the mode, they understand what’s getting ready to take place. We have some players who have been in playoff games, but when you say seven of your starters never have that’s kind of new.

“I don’t know if our guys right away are aware of the importance of withstanding the first five minutes of the first quarter and third quarter because this thing is real fast in playoff games. The tempo – everything – becomes magnified and you have to be very, very diligent in your calls as a play-caller on offense and defense. The speed of the game changes and that’ll be the first thing a lot of these young guys will witness. It’s almost like a rookie is playing in the pre-season and the regular season starts. The first thing they think is these guys are really going fast now. Well, in the playoffs it’s a little different. It’s an adrenaline rush for everybody, so we’re going to have to withstand that early in this football game. If we can do that we can get into the kind of game we want to play.

“What we don’t want to get into is a game where they take the ball away early and get up a couple of scores because then they force you to do something you don’t want to do in this dome: you don’t want have to go back and pass. They bring pressure with four guys and their ends are very, very good and you’re not going to block them all day and they’re going to knock the quarterback down. They’re going to sit in Cover Two (coverage) and really not allow you to throw the ball down the field and, if you hold onto it, you’re going to get sacked, there are going to be forced fumbles and it’s going to get ugly.

“Defensively when you go into a game like this you have to understand they’re two-handed. They can run the ball and pass the ball and any great offense wants to be able to do that. Peyton Manning is a fantastic quarterback and is going to look at your defense and try to figure out if it’s ‘Middle Open’ or ‘Middle Closed’ and he’s going to have some plays designed to take advantage of that. If he feels the middle’s closed he knows he can get one-on-one matchups outside. He has two fine receivers. If he feels the middle is open you’re playing a ‘Two Shell’ (coverage) and he feels you have seven in the box, then he can run the ball. He manages the game very well, doesn’t turn the ball over with only nine interceptions. They’re very good and it’s why they have been in the playoffs the last five years.

“We’ll have our hands full. We’re going on the road which is good for us. We’ll see if we can withstand all this and it’s a good test for our football team.”

Q: Do you change the way you coach in the playoffs?

EDWARDS: “A little bit. Yeah. A little bit.”

Q: How?

EDWARDS: “You just change your approach. I think the players will realize that again tomorrow when they come in here. I need to let my coaches know that too today. It’s a whole different mindset; it’s a whole different way of conducting your business now. This is one of those deals where you’ve worked real hard to get here and there are only 12 teams in the tournament. It’s not like you have another game. When this one’s over, it’s over. You’re done.

“When you go back and look at our season, it’s kind of interesting. I told the team that after game two we were 0-2 and there were 11 teams that were 0-2 and I showed them all 11 teams. I said out of this madness someone’s going to get out of here and get in the playoffs and I said, why can’t it be us? We were the only team to get in that was 0-2.

“So, I think they understand the message that I’m giving them. They’ll get a good message tomorrow on how they need to conduct themselves this week when we start preparing. This is a fun time of the year but it’s also a very critical time to make sure that when you’re playing a game like this you’re mentally prepared to deal with all the things that are going to happen to you and that you’re a focused, focused player. Your priorities have to change now. It’s got to be about this and only this. You have to be able to sacrifice a lot of things this week and in the oncoming weeks if you continue to play. This is what it’s about. You’re in the tournament and this is what you do all this for. It’s hard to get in and it took us the last game of the season to get in.

“So, I think they’re feeling me and they need to feel me because this is important, very, very important when you make the playoffs because you know at the end you can get on a little streak and you can do some things. But we’ve got a tough opponent. We want to mimic (Indianapolis). We want to be a team that’s in the playoffs every year because then players understand how important it is and how tough it is. Tony (Dungy’s) done a great of doing that having gone five years in a row. Tony, himself, has gone eight years in a row counting back to Tampa.

“He’s done a great job of taking teams to the playoffs and I’ve been around teams like that. Maybe I learned that mentality from Tony once I went to New York and that was the same kind of format I tried to create there We had a little bit of a run there for a while. We want to start that here.

“It was a great job by the players and staff to get out of a bad situation, to go from 0-2 and 11 teams sitting there and you’re the one that got out. That was our goal when we were 0-2. That’s what I told the football team. Someone’s getting out of there and why can’t it be us.”

Q: You’ve been in the playoffs as a head coach four out of the last six years and having such an inexperienced team is it especially important for you to be a leader in that regard? How much better are you prepared for this week having been a coach in that situation?

EDWARDS: “The more you get in this situation the more you realize how important it is but, not only that, how hard it is. It’s hard to get here. At the end of the day there are 32 teams that are trying to do this and only 12 of them last. Six on one side and six on the other side and if you don’t win your division then it’s even tougher because now you’re squeezing for two spots. I understand all that for having gone through it and being in enough playoff games.

“I have to kind of show them how we’re kind of going and this is what it’s going to take if we’re going to continue to play in the playoffs. I think the players trust me with that in mind knowing that I’ve been there before. It’s not foreign to me and I’m not in a panic mode or anything like that. It’s more matter of fact and staying focused and understanding that the distractions can’t be distractions. You cannot get distracted; when you come to work your feet have to be on the ground, you have to look at the tape and have to look at all the stuff we are instructing you to do. You have to take all that and apply it to the football field and then when the game starts you have to do it in a manner that is very, very fast, especially in playoff games when you go on the road.

“I’ve been on the road with teams in the playoffs. It gets loud and the only way you can stop it from getting loud is if you don’t get down early. If you can just weather that storm early and can make it a game it becomes a lot of fun.”

Q: Is this a week you would especially hope for leadership, from say, a Ty Law?

EDWARDS: “Ty’s been in a bunch of them and won three Super Bowls. He’s been in this environment and we’ve had some players in some big-time games. It’s good to have some veteran guys like that but it’s kind of ironic that we have seven starters who have never been in a playoff game. Jared Allen has never been in a playoff game. I remember saying that when we were getting ready for Denver. I said this is simulating what a playoff game is like. He said, ‘coach, I’ve never been in a playoff game.’ I forgot about that.”

Q: You stung them (in NY) the last time you played them in a playoff game. Is there anything you can apply from that experience that will help you prepare now?

EDWARDS: “That was Tony’s first year there and we had already got our deal going. He was in Tampa previous to that and we had gotten in and the next year we had won the division and they had to come to New York. It was outside and we got off to an early start.

“You never anticipate something like that. I think that was the first time Peyton Manning was ever shut out. It was 41-0. It was one of those games that we got out to a big lead; we took the ball away and it was just our day. It was similar to the 49er game out here (this year) where we got the ball, we took the ball and we scored and it wasn’t a lot of fun. It was fun for us but it wasn’t fun for me because I was playing against Tony. It was one of those games. You don’t anticipate anything like that.

“The next time we played them it was in a regular season game in Indianapolis and an ESPN game. It was a shootout. After the game was over we both shook hands and said, we’re both supposed to be defensive coaches and it’s 35 to 38, whatever it was, and we took defensive football back fifty years after this mess. It was going back and forth and nobody could stop anybody.”

Q: Sounds like the ‘03 game with the Chiefs and Colts. I wouldn’t imagine you’d want to get into that type of game.

EDWARDS: “No, you really don’t want to. They’ve got race horses and they’ve got…race horses. They know how to play that way. That’s what their team is built for: a fast, high-scoring inside game. They’ve got a quarterback who can score from anywhere on the football field and they’ve got receivers that can jump up and make catches. The young runner they have, I think, is good too.

“Like I said, this team is an experienced playoff team. You go five times in a row that’s good stuff now. These guys understand this and our guys need to know this. We’re just not walking in and… these people who say you can just go in there and run the ball on them. Are you kidding me? This is a whole different deal now. This is the playoffs.”

Q: Is Peyton one of the best in the game? Where would you rank him?

EDWARDS: “He’s one of them. He’s a Hall of Fame quarterback. They’ve got a Hall of Fame head coach, too. All he’s got to do is win a Super Bowl.”

Q: Do you get the sense that this is a different playoff run emotionally because of the loss of Lamar Hunt?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know that. I think a lot of players – the veteran guys – who knew Lamar, they probably feel good for that reason. I was speaking to someone today and it’s kind of ironic that at the owner’s meeting I was visiting with Lamar and he was saying it’s always something different when you say you’re a playoff team. I could remember having that conversation and I just reflect on that every once in a while. That’s what he wanted. He wanted for his team to be a playoff team. I feel good about that. It was one of the first conversations I had and I knew exactly what he meant. We’ve gotten that so far now we’ve got to start winning playoff games. That’s the next step.”

Q: Trent admitted after the game that he feels he’s still not quite in rhythm yet since the injury. Do you hope that’s something that just gradually comes to pass or just hits like a ton of bricks on Saturday?

EDWARDS: “He’s persevered and won some games down the stretch for us and really hasn’t played his best. That’s kind of good, too, in that he hasn’t played his best and still found a way to win. Now, he’s made some good throws in those games and some throws that you kind of shake your head and say, why did he do that.

“But I think this is his second time as a Chief going into the playoffs against a team he’s played before. Now it’s on the road rather than at home. He understands that it’s good to be at the helm and he’s going to have to play good. There’s no doubt about it. The quarterback is always the guy at the end of the day and he’s going to have to manage the game. He’s going to go into a hostile environment and we’re going to have to protect him when he goes back and throws.

“But we have to be able to play with the pass and the run. We just can’t sit here and say we’re going to run the ball 100 times because that doesn’t work either. You have to score touchdowns against these guys. You pass to score and run to win. That’s always been my philosophy. So, he’s going to have to go back and throw and we’re going to have to protect and then when we throw we’re going to have to catch it.

“In playoff games as you know, everything is magnified. Everything is magnified, everything you do. Every play becomes a big play because you don’t know what play is going to turn the tide or get the momentum going. That’s what is so unique and so fun about being in this situation.

“You’ve got to like it as a player, as a coach. I enjoy this atmosphere, this whole deal playing this way. It’s single elimination. You know you’ve got to win and if you don’t you go home just like those other 20 teams that packed up yesterday. We’re still in it.”

Q: Do you think he’ll enjoy this week?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah, if you don’t enjoy being in the playoffs something’s wrong with you. If you don’t have any anxiety in your stomach something is wrong with you.”

Q: That philosophy that you have and the way you coach and your tendencies, does it fit best in playoff-style football?

EDWARDS: “I think eventually it does especially when you go outside because it gets cold these months. Now, we’re playing inside but when you play outside and go to certain areas in the Northeast and you travel, guess what? You’ve got to be able to run the ball and you’ve got to be able to stop the run. You’re not going to be able to sit there and throw 50 passes in bad weather, I know that. You’ve got to be able to run it and be a tough, physical football team and at the end that, I think, is going to stand true. I think at the end the two teams left standing are going to be built that way.”

Q: You’re not worried at all that your guys are just happy to be here?

EDWARDS: “Naah…I’m not worried at all about that. No, no, no, uh huh. That’s the last of my worries. They’ve earned this. It wasn’t given to them. There were 11 teams 0-2 and our goal was to get out of that pile and we got out and got in the playoffs.”

Q: You said you coached different in the playoffs, so if you thought you had a quarterback that was struggling and you felt your team needed a jolt would you be more inclined in a playoff game to make a substitution?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, you have to. You have to. When you get in playoff games you have to win the game. There’s no tomorrow and you have to do what’s best for your football team at that point. I’ll do whatever I have to do.

“When you’re in the playoffs you’re desperate. This is desperate. This is desperation and you have to find a way to win. You have to win the game and if someone is struggling and you think you’ve got to go about doing something different you do whatever it takes.

“That’s with any player. If a player is struggling and you see him struggling you put somebody else in there and that’s OK.”

Q: But you might not do that in the regular season ‘cause you’re thinking several games down the road?

EDWARDS: Yeah, it’s a lot different. You coach certain playoff situations different than you do regular situations. It’s a different mindset and it’s how I’ve always approached it.”

Q: A lot of people are going to hear you say that and are going to think maybe he’ll go with Damon Huard if Trent should struggle again? Is that….

EDWARDS: “Nah, people can think whatever they want but at the end of the day I make the decision. I made a decision to start Trent when he was ready to play. He’s our starting quarterback; he’s our starting quarterback going into the playoffs and I anticipate he’ll play good. That’s all I anticipate. I don’t anticipate anything else. As the game goes on I anticipate how the game is being played. Do we have to run the ball more, do we have to throw the ball, do we have to blitz, do we have to go for it on fourth down, do we have to fake a punt, what do we have to do to win. It’ll be my call at the end.

“The one thing I do know: I think these players trust that whatever I decide to do it’s always in the best interests of the football team. It’s never personal. My decisions are always made on that.”

Q: Were you impressed the way Damon came in after sitting for a few games and led the team right away on a touchdown drive?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, but then again, no, because I’ve watched what he’s done. He’s 5-3 and I anticipated he’d go in the game and…..he hit a slant and made a good pass but you have to give some credit to (receiver) Samie (Parker) too. Samie made a good run. (Damon) hit him on stride.

“The go-route I thought he hit was very good. Eddie made a one-handed catch, but Damon took us right down the field and made some good throws. The good part about it was because he had been in the huddle before and had won five games we just kept rolling. No one got out of synch. We just said this is what we’re doing. The play-caller didn’t have to say what are we going to now? We just said this is what we were going to dial up with Trent and now we’re going to dial it up with Damon in there. Let’s just go play football. So, our team never blinked and that was what was good when Damon had to go in and play. He gained that experience, he gained that confidence, the players had confidence in him and it was great to have a guy like that to come in off the sideline. It’s a good feeling to have.

“Damon’s playing in a good frame of mind. You want the guy who is the second guy to be in that frame of mind and he’s in that frame of mind because he’s been successful and won games for us. He’s had to play. The team feels the same way about the guy. If he has to go in and play no problem. Let’s go.”

Douche Baggins
01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I hope the speed of the playoffs doesn't overwhelm Samie Parker, Larry Johnson, Allen, Hali, Kawika, Derrick Johnson, Page and Pollard. That would be a disaster!

siberian khatru
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I wonder how many offsides penalties Allen will get because he's going to be so cranked up?

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Do you you think Herm sucked off the Colts offense enough?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
But that's OOOKKAAYYYY.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
I hope the speed of the playoffs doesn't overwhelm Samie Parker, Larry Johnson, Allen, Hali, Kawika, Derrick Johnson, Page and Pollard. That would be a disaster!

LOL, you mentioned half the football team. That's not good.

KurtCobain
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
prediction for saturday..... 52 - 50, Chiefs win.

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I wonder if Herm can get his team to pull their head out their asses when they go on the road??

Please no Dildo parties this time.

Douche Baggins
01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
LOL, you mentioned half the football team. That's not good.

Those are the biggest names that haven't played in a playoff game. It's not in the transcript, but Herm talked about the speed of the playoffs being like the speed of going from preseason to regular season. I also worry about Colquitt and Tynes.

Crashride
01-02-2007, 04:38 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEE!