PDA

View Full Version : New York Jets

Fruit Ninja
01-02-2007, 07:38 PM
So, i am watcing the NFL network and they were tossing out some stats about the jets.

25 in total offense
20th in total defense

SO they say how the hell did they even make the play offs?

So the next stat up was opp. winning percetage.

hmmm... talk about an cupcake schedule.

Phobia
01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
I think you've answered all your own questions.

Fruit Ninja
01-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I think you've answered all your own questions.
It was all them saying it, i was just relaying it. Just a messanger. I may have worded it wrong, but oh well, it was just for the Jet trolls anyways.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
What was Kansas City's opp.winning percentage?

88TG88
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
we played both conference champs and the chargers twice. thats no cupcake schedule

Bill Parcells
01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Ummm..other than 2 games..the 06 Jets had exactly the same strength of schedule as the Patriots did..Jets 10-6..Patriots 12-4..

JBucc
01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
They're this years Jags except they're worse.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2007, 07:47 PM
They won the games they were supposed to win. What else do you want them to do?

Nobody is saying they are the 1989 49er's or anything....they are what they are.

Nzoner
01-02-2007, 07:47 PM
All I know is the latest line I seen has the Pats favored by 9 and no way in hell would I be afraid to take it.I don't see Bellicheck getting outcoached twice at home and Harrison or no I think the Pats D will send a strong message that the J-E-T-S are still not ready for the play-off pressure run.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-02-2007, 07:50 PM
The Mangenius

Molitoth
01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
The Mangina

chop
01-02-2007, 08:03 PM
What was Kansas City's opp.winning percentage?

I was actually going to post it the other day but I decided not to.

The Jets beat the following teams: Tennessee 8-8, Buffalo 7-9, Miami (2) 6-10, Detroit 3-13, New England 12-4, Houston 6-10, Green Bay 8-8, Minnesota 6-10, Oakland 2-14 Winning percentage of opp. .402

Kansas City beat these teams: S.F. 7-9, Arizona 5-11, San Diego 14-2, Seattle 9-7, St. Louis 8-8, Oakland(2)2-14, Denver 9-7, Jacksonville 8-8. Winning percentage of opp. .484 just a little better than NYJ.

Frazod
01-02-2007, 08:05 PM
We get the NFC North next year. Can't wait. :$2500:

Zouk
01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I was actually going to post it the other day but I decided not to.

The Jets beat the following teams: Tennessee 8-8, Buffalo 7-9, Miami (2) 6-10, Detroit 3-13, New England 12-4, Houston 6-10, Green Bay 8-8, Minnesota 6-10, Oakland 2-14 Winning percentage of opp. .402

Kansas City beat these teams: S.F. 7-9, Arizona 5-11, San Diego 14-2, Seattle 9-7, St. Louis 8-8, Oakland(2)2-14, Denver 9-7, Jacksonville 8-8. Winning percentage of opp. .484 just a little better than NYJ.

It's not really a big deal, but the Jets played the Titans in their pre-Vince Young 0-5 days, and the Vikings in their post-collaspe 2-8 finish stretch.

I predict the Jets get a whooping this weekend.

Valiant
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
They won the games they were supposed to win. What else do you want them to do?

Nobody is saying they are the 1989 49er's or anything....they are what they are.

They are who we thought they were...

Zouk
01-02-2007, 08:32 PM
They are who we thought they were...

Crown 'em.

It's not like Mike Ditka compared Mangini to Vince Lombardi or anything.

(Unbelievably this really happened today).

Hoover
01-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Should Mangina get the credit? Most of those players are Herm brought in.

Isn't that how it works? Herm road Tuna's talent to the playoff and then got lucky a couple times. Right?

Amnorix
01-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Ummm..other than 2 games..the 06 Jets had exactly the same strength of schedule as the Patriots did..Jets 10-6..Patriots 12-4..

errr...excuse me but the two games that were different was the Pats played Cincy and Denver and the Jets played Cleveland and the Raiders. I mean....

The entire AFC East had a VERY soft schedule this year. The NFC North (pathetic except for the Bears), and the AFC South (not bad, but not as good the AFC West, certainly).

The Jets and Pats both had the benefit of this schedule, certainly, but the Jets also had the benefit of the worst place schedule, compared to the Pats first place schedule.

Jets have zero shot of going to the SB. They might beat the Pats (very much doubt it), but they're no serious threat to do what the Steelers did last year.

Bill Parcells
01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Should Mangina get the credit? Most of those players are Herm brought in.

Isn't that how it works? Herm road Tuna's talent to the playoff and then got lucky a couple times. Right?
OK..
Herm's important players Mangini's important players players
Kevin Mawae>--->Gone Nick Mangold--->new
John Abraham>----->Gone Dbrick Ferguson---->new
Curtis Martin>---->IR Leon Washington---->new
Brad Smith---->new
Jerricho Cotcherry--->starter NOW
Bryan Thomas--->Starter NOW

Even the players have come out and said this year..that they feel like they definitely will not be out coached in a game..take it for what it's worth..it's not the same talent as last year..and,the way they are being coached is night and day compared to the last 5 years.

Smed1065
01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
jets are a joke

Bill Parcells
01-02-2007, 09:02 PM
errr...excuse me but the two games that were different was the Pats played Cincy and Denver and the Jets played Cleveland and the Raiders. I mean....

The entire AFC East had a VERY soft schedule this year. The NFC North (pathetic except for the Bears), and the AFC South (not bad, but not as good the AFC West, certainly).

The Jets and Pats both had the benefit of this schedule, certainly, but the Jets also had the benefit of the worst place schedule, compared to the Pats first place schedule.

Jets have zero shot of going to the SB. They might beat the Pats (very much doubt it), but they're no serious threat to do what the Steelers did last year.
Well...I agree about the schedule..but several teams with the same soft schedule did not win 10 games..and since you see the Jets twice a year..what is your opinion of the Jets and Mangini??

And..do you miss Hermy in the division??

Nzoner
01-02-2007, 09:13 PM

I need some help,I'm in a post season fantasy play-off game and need a Pats receiver or two as I very much think they'll be advancing.

You're opinion on which you see shining in the play-offs would be appreciated.

Deberg_1990
01-02-2007, 09:13 PM
IM just impressed that Pennington made it through an entire year injury free.

Halfcan
01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Any Jets troll will tell you-because they don't have Herm.

88TG88
01-02-2007, 09:22 PM
it is now official eric mangini's new nickname is mangina

Bill Parcells
01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I need some help,I'm in a post season fantasy play-off game and need a Pats receiver or two as I very much think they'll be advancing.

Reche Caldwell and Troy Brown(WR) and Ben Watson(TE)

Bill Parcells
01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
it is now official eric mangini's new nickname is mangina
Thank you so much for that official announcement..Brilliant!! :rolleyes:

http://theomelet.com/media/1/20051005-guinness.png

Amnorix
01-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Sorry for the delay. Hope this isn't too late.

Caldwell is the WR most likely to do well for the Pats, but no Pats player is a fantasy stud.

Watson at TE, Dillon at RB (more TDs than Maroney), and Kevin Faulk, maybe, shouldn't suck too bad.

But the Pats and fantasy football just don't mix too well.

Amnorix
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Well...I agree about the schedule..but several teams with the same soft schedule did not win 10 games..and since you see the Jets twice a year..what is your opinion of the Jets and Mangini??

And..do you miss Hermy in the division??

Miss Herm? Yes and no. I thought he was a good, not great, coach. So I don't miss him as much as I miss Gregg Williams. :fire:

I also miss Bradway quite alot. I think he was a total moron.

But I'd much rather have Mangini on my sidelines than the Jets', that's for sure.

In my book, the incredibly soft Jets schedule means that they're more of a 9-7 or 8-8 team than the 10-6 that they went. Next year, IMHO, they will fall back to somewhere in the 7-9 or 8-8 range. And then, likely, they will make a good comeback to be a strong competitor in the conference.

Amnorix
01-04-2007, 09:00 AM
OK..
Herm's important players Mangini's important players players
Kevin Mawae>--->Gone Nick Mangold--->new
John Abraham>----->Gone Dbrick Ferguson---->new
Curtis Martin>---->IR Leon Washington---->new
Brad Smith---->new
Jerricho Cotcherry--->starter NOW
Bryan Thomas--->Starter NOW

Even the players have come out and said this year..that they feel like they definitely will not be out coached in a game..take it for what it's worth..it's not the same talent as last year..and,the way they are being coached is night and day compared to the last 5 years.

Wait....how many games did your starting QB play this year compared to last? And Martin has been mostly washed up for a year or two, so he's not as big a loss as it sounds.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Wait....how many games did your starting QB play this year compared to last? And Martin has been mostly washed up for a year or two, so he's not as big a loss as it sounds.
OK..I have been waiting for this reply..I found a great post that explains the situation perfectly..here ya go..

Originally posted by Sperm Edwards
2000 NYJ (Al Groh): 9-7

• Very up & down year, but most concede it was due to poor motivation & the players just flat-out disliking Groh. Pushed them too hard in preseason & they ran out of gas after starting 6-1.
• Also was Testaverde’s return from Achilles tendon injury.
• Among the teams they beat were Miami (11-5) twice, Tampa Bay (10-6) and Green Bay (9-7). They split with the Colts (10-6).
• Missed chip-shot FG vs Detroit at home. If the Jets had beaten Baltimore the following week they would have made the playoffs. This ultimately cost them a trip to the playoffs.
• Opponents’ records were combined 145-111 (.566).
• Four went to the Pro Bowl (Anderson, Glenn, Lewis, Mawae).
• Other notable players included Chad Pennington, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Jason Ferguson, Curtis Martin, and Wayne Chrebet.

2001 NYJ (Herm Edwards): 10-6

• Edwards has no prior HC experience in the NFL, college, high school, or Pop-Warner. Edwards has no prior OC experience at any of those levels. Edwards has no prior DC experience at any of those levels. Edwards was never the special teams coach at any of those levels. As such, Edwards was never responsible for coming up with a game plan for a single football game prior to his hiring.
• Takes over a team with a veteran 3-4 defense with cover-corners, hires a DC (Ted Cottrell) whose specialty is the 3-4, & inserts a 4-man front, cover-2 base package that was successful in Tampa Bay (never considering that TB had 4-5 defensive pro-bowlers who made it work).
• Though the offense had an immobile pocket passer who missed the ’99 season with a ruptured Achilles tendon, and short WRs (Chrebet, Coles, Moss), shifted the team to a west-coast offense under Paul Hackett (who had just been fired for running the USC program into the ground after three years. Since his removal from USC, they are the best team in the USA. Prior to that he was fired from the OC position in KC).
• After an 8.5 sack rookie season, decided to move huge DE Shaun Ellis to DT, a colossal flop.
• Started out 1-2 including an unwatchable offensive plodding vs. the 6-10 Colts (down by three touchdowns we were still eating 8+ minutes of clock up on one drive running the ball in the 2nd half).
• Teams beat were NE (11-5) in the game that Lewis knocked Bledsoe out, Miami (11-5) twice, and Oakland (10-6).
• Eked out 1-point victories vs. the Bengals (6-10), Colts (6-10), and Panthers (1-15) and a 6-pt win vs. the 3-13 Bills before losing to those same Bills in a win-and-we’re-in game 15.
• Made the playoffs on a 50-yd FG in Oakland in the last game.
• Opponents’ records were combined 131-125 (.511).
• Lost the WC game in Oakland.
• Four went to the Pro Bowl (Abraham, Glenn, Martin, Mawae).
• Offense was #26 in yards; #17 in pts
• Defense was #17 in yards; #12 in points.

2002 NYJ: 9-7, Division champions

• In an effort to better enable the team to complete the switch to Edwards’ cover-2 base package, salary-cap purges Aaron Glenn & Marcus Coleman were replaced by Aaron Beasley and Donnie Abraham. To better facilitate Ellis’ move to DT, Edwards brought in DE Steve White which led GM Bradway to reach for a speedy DE in the 1st round (Bryan Thomas) to groom behind White. None of the players Edwards knew and/or requested panned out. Only Donnie Abraham proved to be a serviceable starter for 3 years. Since then, Thomas is still 2nd-string; Ellis went back to DE; Beasley (released), Abraham (retired), and White (released) are no longer with the team.
• Team started out 1-4. Their lone win in the first five games resulted from Chad Morton’s kickoff return TD in overtime (his 2nd of the game) vs. the Bills. The following three games, with no injuries to speak of, the Jets were outscored 102-13.
• During that stretch, RB Curtis Martin had two very bad high ankle sprains and did not miss a game. Edwards would not start LaMont Jordan for even one game, or give Jordan as many as 6 carries in any game.
• Game 5 they blew a lead to KC by getting too conservative too early on offense (an Edwards/Hackett trademark for their entire NYJ tenure).
• Game 7 blew a 21-3 lead to the Cleveland Browns & lost 24-21 for the same reason.
• Damien Robinson brought the shotgun to Giants Stadium in the trunk of his car on Oct 14, 2001 (soon after 9/11).
Ellis was moved back to DE and had a sub-par year since he was still carrying the extra weight required for his move to DT.
• Chad Pennington had a magical season and almost single-handedly brought the Jets back from the dead, throwing 22 TD’s to 6 INT’s and going 8-4 in his regular season starts (including the two blown games when the Jets stopped passing way too early).
• With the Jets in control of their own destiny, lost to the (then) 3-10 Chicago Bears.
• Thanks to an improbable outcome in the last game between Miami/NE, the Jets won a three-way tiebreaker as all three teams ended up 9-7. Jets win the division.
• Beat the 10-6 Colts in impressive fashion 41-0 in the wild card game before getting slaughtered 30-10 by the Raiders in the division playoff game a week later.
• After the game, with his star receiver Laveranues Coles not under contract, Edwards comments to the media that the Jets need to get bigger at WR. Coles departs for Washington after the Jets only tender him at $1.3M.
• >.500 teams beat were Miami (9-7), Denver (9-7), NE (9-7), GB (12-4)
• Pro Bowlers were John Abraham and Kevin Mawae

2003 NYJ: 6-10

• Chad Pennington breaks his left wrist in a pre-season game, where rookie FB BJ Askew was responsible for picking up and missing his assignment on the blitz that got Pennington injured. Inexcusable letting a rookie block for the franchise QB in a meaningless preseason game. Pennington is out until game 7.
• Edwards does not let Testaverde start the last pre-season game to work with the first team offense out of fear that he, too, could get injured.
• Testaverde starts very rusty. The offense is not altered at all to take advantage of Testaverde’s arm strength and minimize his lack of mobility (again). Jets lose the first four games, including an embarrassing display of conservatism vs. the Redskins in Washington to kick off the NFL season.
• After winning two games in a row, and with a 10-pt halftime lead over the Eagles, Edwards follows through with his pre-game announcement that Pennington will relieve Vinny during the game. Pennington comes in, blows the lead, and the Jets lose. They also blow a very winnable game to the 4-12 Giants (who would not win another game after that) the following week.
• Won a surprising victory vs the 12-4 Titans who were clearly not taking us seriously. Only other teams they lost to all season (& post-season) were the Colts & Patriots.
• Prior to a late game against New England, Herm is evidently and suddenly not satisfied with Hackett’s game plan of draw plays. He feels we need to be more vertical in the passing game. We know this because he says as much to beat reporters early enough in the week to allow Belichick/Crennel ample time to prepare. Herm (as usual) follows through with his publicized gameplan & Chad throws 5 interceptions for the first & only time in his career.
• Final game we lose yet another winnable game vs. Miami as Herm has officially completed the exorcism of the Jets demons that had plagued Miami.
• Herm decided that the only RB on the team with breakaway speed (Jordan) will now be relegated to goal-line & short-yardage duty. Never mind that he’s a “RB with power” rather than a “power RB.” This is also announced, so any opponent who sees him come into the game (when it’s not garbage-time) is fully aware that the next play will be a handoff to Jordan (more than half his year’s carries were in 2-3 TE sets). In doing this for the entire season, Jordan still has a higher YPC than the “underrated warrior” RB who has the whole field and all the first-second downs to work with unless it’s garbage time to run out the clock at the end of a half. Though healthy, Jordan finishes the year with 46 carries, only 15 of which came after November 1st & only one carry after December 1st.
• On the year, a staggering 87% of the RB carries (including garbage time) went to Curtis Martin so he could amass 1300 yards. By comparison, Jamal Lewis with over 2000 yards got 81%; Ahman Green with almost 1900 yards at 75%.
• Santana Moss starts the year buried behind Wayne Chrebet and Coles replacement–Curtis Conway. No amount of dropped balls gets Conway out of the starting lineup. Only an injury. Once he was finally given the chance, Moss explodes like we all hoped he would when we traded up to draft him two years earlier. He explodes, for 1100 yards and 10 TDs despite only starting 12 games. Numbers never to be approached again until traded.
• Opponents’ records were combined 135-121 (.527), owing much to playing the 14-2 Patriots twice (otherwise we still only went 6-8 (.428) against opponents with a combined .477 win percentage.
• Missed the playoffs
• Two went to the Pro Bowl (Ellis, Mawae).
• Offense was #23 in yards, #21 in pts
• Defense was #20 in yards, #8 in points. Ted Cottrell is fired in the offseason.

2004 NYJ: 10-6

• Team is given the gift of the easiest schedule to start the season in recent memory and win all five of those games, including the Bengals (in Carson Palmer’s first NFL start); the Chargers (one game removed from the NFL’s worst team and two weeks removed from considering starting rookie Phillip Rivers at QB for the season); the 4-12 Dolphins (with no line, no RBs, and a QB controversy in full swing); the then 0-3 Bills; and the 2-14 49ers. Those teams’ combined record at the time of their games with the Jets was 1-11 (1-16 after the losses to the Jets).
• Despite the outcomes, nearly blew the games against the Bengals, Chargers, Bills, and even let the hapless 49ers get out to a 14-0 lead.
• Week 6 the Jets hold the SB champion Patriots (and owners of the #4 offense in 2004) to only 13 points. Our try-to-keep-it-close-until-the-end offensive scheme nets a paltry 7 points (though the rest of the NFL would average over 16 ppg against the Pats).
• After beating up the pathetic Dolphins, the Jets get embarrassed by the Bills as they give us flashbacks to the Ted Cottrell rush-d’s of the past watching Willis McGahee move the chains on 37 carries. Chad Pennington injures his shoulder in the game.
• With Quincy Carter starting effectively and the OL mauling the vaunted Ravens rush defense, the Jets take commanding control of the game, only to watch Hackett/Edwards needlessly attempt an unnecessary HB option that is intercepted and returned for a TD while the Jets were driving into Ravens territory.
• The same game Edwards is caught on camera having Dick Curl telling him how many timeouts we had & when they were to be used; Pennington coaching Herm to instruct Carter on what to do; the clock-killing debacle where Edwards can’t come up with a single play on his own at the end of regulation that put us in a position to have to choose between a play or a FG even though it wasn’t 4th down; also shots of the Ravens’ booth repeatedly and correctly predicting what play would be called as the 4th quarter wound down. In the post-game press conference, Edwards initially lies about a play being relayed to Carter with adequate time, to shift the blame onto the player, before retracting it upon realizing the replay of the game on NFL network showed the polar opposite.
• After beating the 4-12 Browns, 6-10 Cardinals, and 7-9 Texans, the Jets faced the Steelers and failed to score a touchdown as Jordan is stubbornly kept on the sideline despite Martin’s game-long ineffectiveness. (The average opponent scored 16 points per game against the Steelers; the Jets offense managed 12 total points in two games).
• At 10-4, the Jets needed to win one more game to lock up a playoff spot. They came out totally flat for a 23-7 loss vs. NE (the score doesn’t nearly depict how lopsided it was) before losing to the 7-8 Rams. A Buffalo loss to the Steelers 2nd & 3rd-stringers allows the Jets to advance to the post-season anyway.
• Jets squeak by the Chargers despite almost giving the game back on an unsportsmanlike penalty on what should have been the Chargers’ last play in regulation. Chargers missed an overtime FG and the Jets did not.
• Against Pittsburgh, the Jets failed to score a single offensive touchdown. The defense & special teams keep the Jets in the game and are in a position to win it with a field goal despite just missing one the previous possession. With the clock winding down, the Jets decide to predictably run up the middle twice (and get stuffed both times) before Edwards comes up with his crowning achievement as decision maker. Though at Heinz Field, the worst place to kick a FG in the country, and a weak-legged kicker who just missed from >40 yards, it is decided that a 41-yard FG is to be made into a 43-yard FG by kneeling on the ball (which would have been the longest FG ever made at Heinz Field at the time). Brien misses, Jets go on to lose the game.
• Opponents’ record: 134-122 (.523). Played NE (14-2) twice & Pittsburgh (15-1) & lost all 3 games; the other 13 games, Jets opponents record was 91-117 (.438).
• >.500 teams beat: Chargers (12-4), Bills (9-7), Seattle (9-7); also beat the Chargers in the playoffs.
• Two went to the Pro Bowl (J. Abraham, C. Martin).
• Offense was #12 in yds, #17 in pts
• Defense was #7 in yards, #4 in points.

2005:

• The playoff loss is placed on Brien, who is released after the draft, and Paul Hackett, who “resigned” at the close of the season.
• Strength & conditioning coach John Lott quits b/c Herm won't enforce weight restrictions with fines.
• Jets add Ty Law; lose Kareem MacKenzie, LaMont Jordan, Jason Ferguson, and Anthony Becht; trade Santana Moss for Laveranues Coles.
• To complement new OC Mike Heimerdinger, Edwards hires a few coaches who will be learning on the job just like he did. (Heimerdinger would end up coaching these coaches almost as much as the players for the entire season).
• Chad Pennington, who has a close personal relationship with Edwards, is not placed under any pressure to get his necessary shoulder surgery performed as soon as possible (since the recovery time will be lengthy, and the Jets would be installing a new offense under Mike Heimerdinger). Immediately after the season he goes on vacation for a few weeks before getting his necessary surgery. He is clearly neither fully healed nor game-ready by week 1.
• Division rival New England loses OC Charlie Weis and DC Romeo Crennel
• Jets then start losing players to injury right & left (and Herm has the nerve to act shocked after that softy training camp & then sticking with a system that repeatedly got McNair killed with a GOOD offensive line). Fumbled snaps, players winded, meetings with KC's brass the weekend of the Jets-Chiefs game. The season was over before the injuries. I don't even want to go into detail about last season there was so much wrong with it.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:05 AM

Regardless of how I feel about Herm, it seems to me his detractors ALWAYS conveniently gloss over the QB situation he went through last year, as if ANY head coach could survive that...

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:07 AM
lots and lots of speculation

Ah, so the injuries were Herm's fault? Gotcha.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-04-2007, 09:08 AM
The Mancow

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Ah, so the injuries were Herm's fault? Gotcha.
You are a ''Hermophile'' HT ;) I expected that reply.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:12 AM
You are a ''Hermophile'' HT ;) I expected that reply.

Actually, I don't like Marty-Lite much at all.

I just think most of the arguments levelled against Herm are lame. The one's you posted below are borderline laughable.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Actually, I don't like Marty-Lite much at all.

I just think most of the arguments levelled against Herm are lame. The one's you posted below are borderline laughable.
Which one's??

I didn't make the thread..you have the power to delete it..;)

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Which one's??

The whole thing...it's a whole lot of speculation and accusation about how EVERYTHING that happened to the Jets is Herm's fault, right down to the final paragraph where Herm was blamed for being too easy on the players and contributing to their injuries.

Most professional players will tell you (Willie Roaf told everyone this past offseason) that being TOO HARD on players during camp is what causes injuries.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:17 AM
The whole thing...it's a whole lot of speculation and accusation about how EVERYTHING that happened to the Jets is Herm's fault, right down to the final paragraph where Herm was blamed for being too easy on the players and contributing to their injuries.

Most professional players will tell you (Willie Roaf told everyone this past offseason) that being TOO HARD on players during camp is what causes injuries.
I will tell you..Herman Edwards has NEVER taken responsibility for doing anything wrong in his entire coaching career..don't you find that unusual??HOF coaches admit to doing something wrong at least..

burt
01-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Which one's??

To paraphrase Herm, the Jets are one of the last 12 standing, they can't suck that much.

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Bill Parcells, Your post about the seasons the Jets had was just Brilliant.

Where did you find that?

Wow! That should be started as a Thread on it own!

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Bill Parcells, Your post about the seasons the Jets had was just Brilliant.

Where did you find that?

I got that from Sperm Edwards..a moderator on Jetnation.

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Bravo, I gave your rep for it, so feel free to pass it along to whom ever wrote in on Jetsnation....

chagrin
01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I got that from Sperm Edwards..a moderator on Jetnation.

speaking of jetsnation does the fireman dude post there?

burt
01-04-2007, 09:29 AM

It's already an epic novel..... I will print it and read it to go to sleep at night. ROFL

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:30 AM
speaking of jetsnation does the fireman dude post there?
No..he is closer with Jetsinsider..

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Bravo, I gave your rep for it, so feel free to pass it along to whom ever wrote in on Jetsnation....
Sperm is the shit..he is the Van Gogh of Photoshopping too..I will pass along the congrats.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I will tell you..Herman Edwards has NEVER taken responsibility for doing anything wrong in his entire coaching career..don't you find that unusual??HOF coaches admit to doing something wrong at least..

That's ridiculous.

It took me less than 5 seconds to find this:

“My job as the head coach is to make sure we can put them in position to make them successful,” Edwards said, leading off his weekly day-after news conference with a mea culpa.

“I didn’t do a good enough job of that in this game. I feel I really let the team down,” Edwards said. “I put them in some situations where really they probably shouldn’t have been in … I put our team in a bad situation, in certain situations, and really cost them the game at the end of the day.”

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=187

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
It's already an epic novel..... I will print it and read it to go to sleep at night. ROFL

nephew: Will you read me a bedtime story unlce Dale?

Uncle Dale: Sure little buddy, Let me read you the book "The Coaching Timeline of Herm Edwards"

nephew: (before book was open) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:33 AM
That's ridiculous.

“My job as the head coach is to make sure we can put them in position to make them successful,” Edwards said, leading off his weekly day-after news conference with a mea culpa.

“I didn’t do a good enough job of that in this game. I feel I really let the team down,” Edwards said. “I put them in some situations where really they probably shouldn’t have been in … I put our team in a bad situation, in certain situations, and really cost them the game at the end of the day.”

GEEZ..generalizing??..''gee,I did a poor job at some things'' do you consider that taking responsibilty??

You could be the coach and say that too..

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 09:34 AM
He does this alot as well...

Edwards also took the blame for the clock-management meltdown at the end of the fourth quarter, during which the Jets wasted nearly a minute of game time and two timeouts before being forced to kick the tying field goal on third down with eight seconds left because they had no timeouts.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:36 AM
GEEZ..generalizing??..''gee,I did a poor job at some things'' do you consider that taking responsibilty??

Um, yeah, GENERALIZING.

Like saying Herm NEVER accepts blame.

Which is patently false.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:36 AM

Edwards also took the blame for the clock-management meltdown at the end of the fourth quarter, during which the Jets wasted nearly a minute of game time and two timeouts before being forced to kick the tying field goal on third down with eight seconds left because they had no timeouts.
Do you know the Jets have not had one delay of game penalty this year??not one..they always have 17 seconds on the play clock at the line of scrimmage.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Um, yeah, GENERALIZING.

Like saying Herm NEVER accepts blame.

Which is patently false.
I don't consider that accepting blame..we will have to agree to disagree....and..although you shot that big post down..you gave absolutely no rebuttals..

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:38 AM

His management of the clock is poor. That's a valid criticism.

But then we're forced to read stuff like this:

ROFL

When a guy says "that was MY fault" what else is it? Shirking responsibility?

I don't like Herm, let's make that clear. But some of the arguments against him are so ridiculous it makes me wonder if people are retarded...

Chiefnj
01-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Herm is the master at pointing fingers.

From his interview of 1/3/07 he blames a WR for the playoff loss 2 years ago.

Q: What about that playoff game you played in Pittsburgh a few years ago. Knowing what you know now do you regret not doing something differently? Do you do it the same way?

EDWARDS: “Exactly. I’ve got a field goal kicker (in NY) that’s 88% and never missed two field goals in a game back-to-back. That was the right thing to do. Our problem was we panicked – one of the receivers panicked – and called time out and put us in a bad way. But that doesn’t get talked about. What gets talked about is we should have got it closer.

FringeNC
According to the Sagarin computer rankings, the Jets had the 11th hardest schedule in the league. We had the 19th hardest.

htismaqe
I don't consider that accepting blame..we will have to agree to disagree....and..although you shot that big post down..you gave absolutely no rebuttals..

Why rebutt something that has little to no merit? It's somebody's OPINION and proves nothing, other than people have a tremendous capacity to be bitter...

Chiefnj
01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
That's ridiculous.

Too bad Herm didn't stop there and then say:

I understood the options,” Edwards said. “I went, ‘You know what? Worst-case scenario, LaMont will run the ball. Just what he does in practice.’”

Which implies it was LaMont's fault for not running the ball.

burt
01-04-2007, 09:41 AM

Bill, I hate to disagree with you, but that is the definition of taking responsibility. "I did a poor job...."

Yesterday, in my managers meeting, I attempted to take responsibility, but didn't do as good a job as Herm did in this quote. I said, "We did some very good things, but we still did some things poorly...we have many areas that have room for improvement." I was attempting to take responsibility, but didn't get the job done as well as Herm did in the quote.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:43 AM
His management of the clock is poor. That's a valid criticism.

But then we're forced to read stuff like this:

ROFL

When a guy says "that was MY fault" what else is it? Shirking responsibility?

I don't like Herm, let's make that clear. But some of the arguments against him are so ridiculous it makes me wonder if people are retarded...
Nice...Baby Lee was right about you..if you dont agree with Mr.ismaqe,you're either a dumb **** or retarded..you are a condescending prick..who thinks you know everything about everything..thats my opinion of you after that lil remark.;)

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Herm is the master at pointing fingers.

From his interview of 1/3/07 he blames a WR for the playoff loss 2 years ago.

Q: What about that playoff game you played in Pittsburgh a few years ago. Knowing what you know now do you regret not doing something differently? Do you do it the same way?

EDWARDS: “Exactly. I’ve got a field goal kicker (in NY) that’s 88% and never missed two field goals in a game back-to-back. That was the right thing to do. Our problem was we panicked – one of the receivers panicked – and called time out and put us in a bad way. But that doesn’t get talked about. What gets talked about is we should have got it closer.

Yep. The search for that quote I found produced SEVERAL examples of Herm saying "that's NOT my fault". You've got a perfectly valid criticism.

It still doesn't make an absolute statement like Herm NEVER accepts blame any more true.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Bill, I hate to disagree with you, but that is the definition of taking responsibility. "I did a poor job...."

Yesterday, in my managers meeting, I attempted to take responsibility, but didn't do as good a job as Herm did in this quote. I said, "We did some very good things, but we still did some things poorly...we have many areas that have room for improvement." I was attempting to take responsibility, but didn't get the job done as well as Herm did in the quote.
OK..but for the most part he was the darling of the media.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Nice...Baby Lee was right about you..if you dont agree with Mr.ismaqe,you're either a dumb **** or retarded..you are a condescending prick..who thinks you know everything about everything..thats my opinion of you after that lil remark.;)

My agreement has ZERO to do with this.

You made an ABSOLUTE STATEMENT, a statement which I proved to be false.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:46 AM

And now backpedaling.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:47 AM
My agreement has ZERO to do with this.

You made an ABSOLUTE STATEMENT, a statement which I proved to be false.
OK..you found a statement to prove me wrong..good for you..feel better now??

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:48 AM
OK..you found a statement to prove me wrong..good for you..feel better now??

I never felt bad in the first place.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I never felt bad in the first place.
Come on now..even a little??

Count Zarth
01-04-2007, 09:50 AM
According to the Sagarin computer rankings, the Jets had the 11th hardest schedule in the league. We had the 19th hardest.

Wow. That's a load of crap.

They played Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, Detroit, Cleveland, Houston, Green Bay, Buffalo, Minnesota, Miami and Oakland.

11 games against teams that were 8-8 or worse. PATHETIC.

You can also add Jacksonville to that list, although the Jaguars were a much better team than anyone on it.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Come on now..even a little??

No. I quite enjoy these arguments, they don't ruffle my feathers at all. Ask Reerun...

burt
01-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Hey, being the Teacher's pet is something that should be enjoyed!!!

burt
01-04-2007, 09:52 AM
No. I quite enjoy these arguments, they don't ruffle my feathers at all. Ask Reerun...

Oh yeah.....well........MU is the number 1 wrestling school in the US! HA!

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 09:53 AM
OK..I will continue in the future then..since it doesn't bother you in the least..

Reerun_KC

He is a hard egg to crack, that is for sure..

Also this is about as pointless as debating the Green/Huard "Media created" controversy.....

Bill Parcells
LOL

Count Zarth
01-04-2007, 09:54 AM

It's true...even if you do have to defend against a swirly later on.

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 09:54 AM

I would of loved to been the teachers pet back in school, espically some of these that are hawt and play nice with the boys...

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Oh yeah.....well........MU is the number 1 wrestling school in the US! HA!

If you're trying to provoke this Hawkeye, fuggetaboutit.

I detest rasslin.

burt
01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
It's true...even if you do have to defend against a swirly later on.
um.....lets not talk about those...I was 4'11' and 96 lbs my freshman year.

htismaqe
01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
OK..I will continue in the future then..since it doesn't bother you in the least..

That's fine. I would NEVER ask you to stop posting your opinions, now matter how "retarded" I think they are.

For the most part, actually, I think you're dead-on about Herm. Sometimes you just go over the top with it and make absurdly exaggerated statements.

And of course, I'm weak. I can't resist the urge to respond at that point and tell you how wrong you are. :D

burt
01-04-2007, 10:02 AM
If you're trying to provoke this Hawkeye, fuggetaboutit.

I detest rasslin.

ROFL I tried!......You must be the only Iowa fan to "detest rasslin".....or Iowa State fan...or Oklahoma, or Oklahoma State......

Zouk
01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know - I see alot of victories against winning teams in that Herm Edwards resume. And a lot of winning seasons when their opposition's record was greater than .500.

This year, the Jets opposition record is .469, they've beaten only 1 winning team, and Mangini is Vince Lombardi.

I think his record is exemplary when you consider the Pat's dynasty was in it's prime in Herm's Jets years, and his QB was always hurt.

Your stuff about the Ravnes knowing the plays is pure fantasy that Jets fans specialize in. Herm's clock management in that Ravens game was excellent, as he had the Jets in position to score while leaving no time for the Ravens to score at the end. The error was wholly in Quincy Carter failing to get a play off. We now know he is not smart enough to be put on a football field - he was only playing because the Jets had no other options at the time.

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
That's fine. I would NEVER ask you to stop posting your opinions, now matter how "retarded" I think they are.

For the most part, actually, I think you're dead-on about Herm. Sometimes you just go over the top with it and make absurdly exaggerated statements.

And of course, I'm weak. I can't resist the urge to respond at that point and tell you how wrong you are. :D
It's quite alright for you to think of yourself in that delusional manner LMAO

It's all good.;)

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't know - I see alot of victories against winning teams in that Herm Edwards resume. And a lot of winning seasons when their opposition's record was greater than .500.

This year, the Jets opposition record is .469, they've beaten only 1 winning team, and Mangini is Vince Lombardi.

I think his record is exemplary when you consider the Pat's dynasty was in it's prime in Herm's Jets years, and his QB was always hurt.

Your stuff about the Ravnes knowing the plays is pure fantasy that Jets fans specialize in. Herm's clock management in that Ravens game was excellent, as he had the Jets in position to score while leaving no time for the Ravens to score at the end. The error was wholly in Quincy Carter failing to get a play off. We now know he is not smart enough to be put on a football field - he was only playing because the Jets had no other options at the time.
OK,Herm :rolleyes:

burt
01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
It's quite alright for you to think of yourself in that delusional manner LMAO

It's all good.;)

Gee, let me count the many delusional ways I think of myself...... ROFL

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Herm's clock management in that Ravens game was excellent.

Zouk, Those are words that should never be used in the same sentence ever again....

%(/

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Gee, let me count the many delusional ways I think of myself...... ROFL

I want to be delusional as well, can I play?

Bill Parcells
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM

You're nuts..are you Rajensen??

Eric
01-04-2007, 10:14 AM
We need to get rid of the current system for determining playoffs and find something else.

RPI?

Zouk
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM
2001 NYJ (Herm Edwards): 10-6

• Takes over a team with a veteran 3-4 defense with cover-corners, hires a DC (Ted Cottrell) whose specialty is the 3-4, & inserts a 4-man front, cover-2 base package that was successful in Tampa Bay (never considering that TB had 4-5 defensive pro-bowlers who made it work).

He took over a team that made the playoffs 1 of the preceeding 9 years, and that was already aging with Glenn, Green, Lewis, and Jones. The team had only 1 NFL -caliber DT in Jason Ferguson.

He wanted to hire Lovie Smith as DC, but StL had hired him as their DC the week before Herm got the Jets job. He had to settle for Ted Cottrell, whom Bradway hired because he had worked with in the USFL. Herm does not know Ted really at all.

[/QUOTE]
• Opponents’ records were combined 131-125 (.511).
[/QUOTE]

So he had a tougher oponent's record than Mangini in first year, and still had the same record and made the playoffs. This is pretty damning stuff you've posted here, Bill.

[/QUOTE]
2002 NYJ: 9-7, Division champions

• Chad Pennington had a magical season and almost single-handedly brought the Jets back from the dead, throwing 22 TD’s to 6 INT’s and going 8-4 in his regular season starts (including the two blown games when the Jets stopped passing way too early).
[/QUOTE]

Chad - to this day - credits Paul HAckett enormously for his development as a QB.

[/QUOTE]
• Beat the 10-6 Colts in impressive fashion 41-0 in the wild card game
[/QUOTE]

They also blew out a playoffs Packers team playing for a home playoff game in Week 17. Herm had them playing very well aginst good opponents.

[/QUOTE]
2003 NYJ: 6-10

• Chad Pennington breaks his left wrist in a pre-season game, where rookie FB BJ Askew was responsible for picking up and missing his assignment on the blitz that got Pennington injured. Inexcusable letting a rookie block for the franchise QB in a meaningless preseason game. Pennington is out until game 7.
[/QUOTE]

Askew was a 1st day pick, and as such got to play some with the 1st team in the preseason so he could show what he could do. Pennington was out of the pocket, when the injury happened. As all football people know, one back is never wholly responsible for protection.

[/QUOTE]
2004 NYJ: 10-6

• Team is given the gift of the easiest schedule to start the season in recent memory and win all five of those games, including the Bengals (in Carson Palmer’s first NFL start); the Chargers (one game removed from the NFL’s worst team and two weeks removed from considering starting rookie Phillip Rivers at QB for the season); the 4-12 Dolphins (with no line, no RBs, and a QB controversy in full swing); the then 0-3 Bills; and the 2-14 49ers. Those teams’ combined record at the time of their games with the Jets was 1-11 (1-16 after the losses to the Jets).
[/QUOTE]

The Chargers went 12-4 in 2004.

[/QUOTE]

• Jets squeak by the Chargers despite almost giving the game back on an unsportsmanlike penalty on what should have been the Chargers’ last play in regulation. Chargers missed an overtime FG and the Jets did not.
[/QUOTE]

Winning road playoff games is easy! LEt's complain becuase they didn't win by enough!

[/QUOTE]
• Against Pittsburgh, the Jets failed to score a single offensive touchdown. The defense & special teams keep the Jets in the game and are in a position to win it with a field goal despite just missing one the previous possession. With the clock winding down, the Jets decide to predictably run up the middle twice (and get stuffed both times) before Edwards comes up with his crowning achievement as decision maker. Though at Heinz Field, the worst place to kick a FG in the country, and a weak-legged kicker who just missed from >40 yards, it is decided that a 41-yard FG is to be made into a 43-yard FG by kneeling on the ball (which would have been the longest FG ever made at Heinz Field at the time). Brien misses, Jets go on to lose the game.

[/QUOTE]

I thought you said HErm's cover 2 was a complete failure? Sounds like they played pretty damn well here - without their best defensive player (John Abraham). He did this with dominant defensive talent like Mark Brown (who?) starting at SAM. Rookie 6th rounder Erik Coleman starting at FS, and 2 soon-to-be-out-of-football players in the secondary (Reggie Tongue at SS and Donnie Abraham at CB).

[/QUOTE]
2005:

• The playoff loss is placed on Brien, who is released after the draft, and Paul Hackett, who “resigned” at the close of the season.
[/QUOTE]

He was released simply to placate a Jets fan base, that Herm begins to realize is simply unpleasable. They'll turn on Mangini too soon enough.

[/QUOTE]

• Strength & conditioning coach John Lott quits b/c Herm won't enforce weight restrictions with fines.
[/QUOTE]

Proof?

[/QUOTE]
• Jets then start losing players to injury right & left (and Herm has the nerve to act shocked after that softy training camp & then sticking with a system that repeatedly got McNair killed with a GOOD offensive line).
[/QUOTE]

This link between the training camp is so laughable. Virtually all of the injuries were blunt force injuries (broken body parts) and not muscle pulls normally associated with out-of-shape players. The Jets had run a similar training camp each of the previous 4 years, with little injury problems outside of Pennington. Coughlin and Belichick run opposite training camps, and regularly have 10 plus on IR.

SUMMARY - 3 playoffs, 2 playoff victories, while playing in the same division as a dynasty as it's peak (making it exceedingly difficult to win the division and get home playoff games), and with a QB that always got hurt. Sounds pretty good to me.

He's now at 4 playoffs in 6 years, putting him in Andy Reid, Cowher, Dungy, Shanahan territory. He's a winner. Now he needs to take the next step and get to a Super Bowl within the next 3 or 4 years.

Reerun_KC
01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Zouk? You sure your really not Herm?

It all comes down to this, either your a fan of him or not...

That is what makes football so much fun.

Me I chose not to like him based on many reasons, some factual, some because I just think he is a pompus ass toolbag...

burt
01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I want to be delusional as well, can I play?

You're nuts..

Tag you're it! ROFL

burt
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Zouk? You sure your really not Herm?

It all comes down to this, either your a fan of him or not...

That is what makes football so much fun.

Me I chose not to like him based on many reasons, some factual, some because I just think he is a pompus ass toolbag...

not to mention that a well paid HC sould bring SOME consistancy to his team.

Well, preferably NOT the consistancy that Saban brought the Dolphins.....

Zouk
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
You're nuts..are you Rajensen??

Here's the drive summary -the management of the game clock was perfect. They controlled the end of the game. It was the management of the play clock with Quincy Carter being unable to get off plays that was horrendous (partly Hackett's fault - he did take too long getting the plays in). There's a difference between management of the game clock and the play clock.

New York Jets at 4:13, (1st play from scrimmage 4:03)
1-10-NYJ 45 (4:03) 28-C.Martin left end to NYJ 48 for 3 yards (98-A.Weaver, 95-J.Johnson).
2-7-NYJ 48 (3:23) 17-Q.Carter pass incomplete to 86-C.Baker.
3-7-NYJ 48 (3:16) 17-Q.Carter pass to 81-J.McCareins to BLT 38 for 14 yards (24-C.Fuller). P14
1-10-BLT 38 (2:29) 28-C.Martin up the middle to BLT 17 for 21 yards (20-E.Reed, 47-W.Demps). R15
Two-Minute Warning
1-10-BLT 17 (2:00) 28-C.Martin right guard to BLT 12 for 5 yards (98-A.Weaver, 52-R.Lewis).
2-5-BLT 12 (1:22) 28-C.Martin up the middle to BLT 13 for -1 yards (94-M.Douglas, 92-M.Kemoeatu).
Timeout #1 by NYJ at 00:55.
3-6-BLT 13 (:55) 17-Q.Carter up the middle to BLT 4 for 9 yards (94-M.Douglas, 57-B.Scott). R16
1-4-BLT 4 (:18) 34-L.Jordan right guard to BLT 3 for 1 yard (56-E.Hartwell, 52-R.Lewis).
Timeout #2 by NYJ at 00:14.
Timeout #2 by BLT at 00:14.
2-3-BLT 3 (:14) 17-Q.Carter pass incomplete. Pressure by #96 - Thomas
Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:08.
3-3-BLT 3 (:08) 6-D.Brien 20 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-85-J.Dearth, Holder-4-T.Gowin.