PDA

View Full Version : Pollard named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week

Fried Meat Ball!
01-03-2007, 08:21 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The National Football League informed the Chiefs on Wednesday that rookie S Bernard Pollard has been named the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance against the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday.

This is the first time in his career that he has been chosen for the award, becoming the second member of the Chiefs to earn the Special Teams Player of the Week award this season. Pollard joins K Lawrence Tynes who received the honor for his performance at Arizona (10/8/06).

Pollard (6-1, 224) came up with arguably the game’s biggest play last weekend in the Chiefs 35-30 win over the Jaguars. Just over five minutes into the contest, Pollard blocked P Chris Hanson’s punt and recovered the loose ball in the end zone to give Kansas City a 7-0 lead. He also added two solo tackles on special teams for the day.

Pollard finished the regular season fifth on the team with 15 special teams tackles (12 solo) and also added two blocked punts. Pollard’s other official block of the season came in the Chiefs 23-20 win at Arizona (10/8/06). The Purdue alum joined the Chiefs as the club’s second-round selection in the 2006 NFL Draft.

morphius
01-03-2007, 08:22 AM
He didn't get credited for the block in SD?

kepp
01-03-2007, 08:24 AM
He didn't get credited for the block in SD?
Nope...I'm assuming because it went past the LOS.

DMAC
01-03-2007, 08:38 AM
I can't wait to see him start at safety. And making those hits like he did at Purdue.

Chiefnj
01-03-2007, 08:46 AM
He got Jax's special teams coach fired.

Redrum_69
01-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I can't wait to see him start at safety. And making those hits like he did at Purdue.

Hopefully he wont get flagged like Jared Allen.....that play pissed me off...The officials would have looked the other way if that had been done to Trent Green.

BigChiefFan
01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
It's good to see a rookie making an impact. I have to say with Hali and Pollard both looking like quality players, Herm's draft is looking better and better. Let's hope Herm does his homework on DTs and O-lineman, too.

Also, it was great hearing Steve Tasker saying his new favorite player was Pollard.

Bonecrusher deluxe.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-03-2007, 08:57 AM
It's good to see a rookie making an impact. I have to say with Hali and Pollard both looking like quality players, Herm's draft is looking better and better. Let's hope Herm does his homework on DTs and O-lineman, too.

Also, it was great hearing Steve Tasker saying his new favorite player was Pollard.

Bonecrusher deluxe.
Don't forget Page... 7th rounder, who's getting more time on the field than Pollard.

ChiTown
01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Don't forget Page... 7th rounder, who's getting more time on the field than Pollard.

Those late rounders are certainly CP's specialty.....

htismaqe
01-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Now THAT is cool.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Hopefully he wont get flagged like Jared Allen.....that play pissed me off...The officials would have looked the other way if that had been done to Trent Green.

they should take into consideration the size of the QB. It takes alot more to take down a McNabb as compared to a Garcia. Those Jax QBs don't go down easily

BigChiefFan
01-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Don't forget Page... 7th rounder, who's getting more time on the field than Pollard. Page has played pretty well, he's also blown some assignments. I agree, Page is making a contribution-I just like the fire I've seen out of Hali and Pollard at this point.

WilliamTheIrish
01-03-2007, 09:36 AM

Rich Rodriguez got canned? I remember when he coached ST's in Seattle. We always seemed to make great plays against him. Lockett catching Louie Aguiar's fake punt/pass. Vanover's first ST TD came against them in Seattle. Stuff like that.

38yrsfan
01-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Well deserved recognition ... congratulations to him.

RP_McMurphy
01-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Meltdowns on the special teams against the Bills, @Colts and yes the Chiefs got him canned. All three games could have been different for the Jaguars with good special teams play.