PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper's Top 25 Big Board (Jan. 4)

Sam Hall
01-05-2007, 12:22 AM
updated accordingly

http://proxy.espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

CupidStunt
01-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Jarrett's a junior. He only lists seniors. Of them, I think he overrates Quinn (who's not at his best under pressure at ALL) and Turk McBride. I think he underrates Woodley, Patrick Willis and LaRon Landry (who's a better prospect than at least a couple guys above him IMO).

If he knows anything then the DT class is pretty strong. Tyler, Okoye and Pitcock would all be good additions if you go by what he thinks.

Chief Roundup
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Sure would like to see us get a good tackle in the draft. LT or DT!
I doubt that the LT that we would get at 24 would be able to start and be good....unless we are comparing him to Hwy 65. With that said I think we should try and draft DT in the 1st and go OT/WR in 2cd depending on what happens in FA.

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Amobi Okoye going down on the draft board? Excellent!!!!!!

Basileus777
01-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Kiper's early boards are always messed up. His boards right before the draft are very good though.

Mecca
01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Kiper moves guys up and down if agents pay him to boost a guy to try to improve his draft spot......remember that.

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
LEVIIIIIIIII!

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I doubt that the LT that we would get at 24 would be able to start and be good....

Uh, why?

The Chargers draft a left tackle in the second round who started.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Uh, why?

Most likely the relative depth (or lack thereof) in the OT class this year.

HerculesRockefell
01-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Uh, why?

and McNeil went in the 2nd round because of medical concerns, not because of his talent level.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 07:46 AM
and McNeil went in the 2nd round because of medical concerns, not because of his talent level.

Um, McNeill fell to the 2nd round because he got absolutely DOMINATED at the Senior Bowl.

HerculesRockefell
01-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Um, McNeill fell to the 2nd round because he got absolutely DOMINATED at the Senior Bowl.

Ummm, McNeil fell because he had a problem with his spine (I believe a narrowing of the column) and teams felt that it was too much of a risk to use a 1st round pick on him.

htismaqe
01-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Ummm, McNeil fell because he had a problem with his spine (I believe a narrowing of the column) and teams felt that it was too much of a risk to use a 1st round pick on him.

He got DOMINATED at the Senior Bowl.

HerculesRockefell
01-12-2007, 04:22 PM
He got DOMINATED at the Senior Bowl.

BFD. That's still not why he dropped. Teams shy away from players with spinal conditions, that's why he dropped into the 2nd.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2006/Round2Picks.htm

50. San Diego OT Marcus McNeill, Auburn
The Chargers had a big need to fill at tackle and needed to make an investment to protect the future of their franchise, QB Philip Rivers. McNeill has been functional getting the job done, rarely allowing the rusher to get to the quarterback, but he does not look pretty. Questions about his back and knees caused him to slide.

http://blog.chargers.com/2006/05/on_the_selection_of_marcus_mcn.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20060430-9999-1s30canepa.html

Marco Polo
01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Chiefs draft OT Marshall Yanda from Iowa in the 1st Round?

Bowser
01-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Chiefs draft OT Marshall Yanda from Iowa in the 1st Round?

If the position title of the Chief's first round pick doesn't end with "tackle", I'll crap my shorts.

milkman
01-13-2007, 04:29 PM
If the position title of the Chief's first round pick doesn't end with "tackle", I'll crap my shorts.

Regardless of how big a reach a tackle, either offense or defense, is likely to be?

Mecca
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Regardless of how big a reach a tackle, either offense or defense, is likely to be?

Some people just don't understand the draft.......that's what people who say things like that make me think.

"we have to take a tackle" yea ok you take that reach I'll take the best player we'll see who does better in the long run with each strategy.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Reggie Nelson, Brandon Siler, Ryan Smith and Jarvis Moss are all entering the draft.

Nelson will be gone way before we pick. Moss, whose stock will skyrocket with his combine numbers, will probably be gone too. That's all fine, because we need help at other areas more (although I think Nelson will be an absolute STUD).

Ryan Smith could be available later in the draft. He had a great year and could turn out to be a solid cover corner.

Siler is a great player, but I think Earl Everett will be a better pro. No idea where either of them will be slotted.

Also, Marcus Thomas could be a steal. He is a top-10 talent, but has character issues (suspended for marijuana and then kicked off the team for not complying with rules).

Mecca
01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Nelson will probably go around where we pick safeties usually slide......I doubt anyone here would want a safety though.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Nelson will probably go around where we pick safeties usually slide......I doubt anyone here would want a safety though.

It used to be that way, but Huff and Whitner went 7th and 8th, respectively, last year and Sean Taylor went 5th two years ago. I think Reggie can be that good, or better (a la Ed Reed).

There's been some talk that he may try to play CB in the NFL instead of safety. He definately has the skills to play corner, but I don't know how that would affect his draft position since he rarely played CB in college.

And, I agree, we don't need another safety.

Bowser
01-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Some people just don't understand the draft.......that's what people who say things like that make me think.

"we have to take a tackle" yea ok you take that reach I'll take the best player we'll see who does better in the long run with each strategy.

What's this? Mecca playing holier-than-thou? No way!

We can draft a QB in the first, if that's what the Chiefs think best for the team. I'm saying if we don't walk out of the draft with either an offensive or defensive tackle that starts on week one, we are doing ourselves a real disservice.

Mecca
01-13-2007, 10:04 PM
What's this? Mecca playing holier-than-thou? No way!

We can draft a QB in the first, if that's what the Chiefs think best for the team. I'm saying if we don't walk out of the draft with either an offensive or defensive tackle that starts on week one, we are doing ourselves a real disservice.

You think the Chiefs are going to win the Bowl next year? Walking out of 2003 with a defensive tackle named Junior Siavii sure did the team a service....

Bowser
01-13-2007, 10:13 PM
You think the Chiefs are going to win the Bowl next year? Walking out of 2003 with a defensive tackle named Junior Siavii sure did the team a service....

I'll type this slow, just for you....

It is my opinion that the Chiefs need to get a good young talent at both offensive left tackle and defensive tackle. Hopefully, they will draft one of each. And preferably, one of those players will be good enough to start and make an impact next year.

I didn't have a problem with the Chiefs trading down in 2004 and taking Siavii (at the time). Let's just hope the scouting department won't swing and miss with a player like that in the early rounds again anytime soon.

Mecca
01-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I can also type slow......what part of this is a bad OT and DT year haven't you read on here? This just isn't the year for those spots.

Bowser
01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
I can also type slow......what part of this is a bad OT and DT year haven't you read on here? This just isn't the year for those spots.

In any round?

Mecca
01-13-2007, 10:20 PM
In any round?

If you are expecting starters yea......

Bowser
01-13-2007, 10:23 PM
If you are expecting starters yea......

Well, that sucks. After watching us have little to no blocking on the left side and no push up the middle on the defensive line, you'd hope (think) you'd get a starter at one of those positions.

Hopefully you're wrong, and our scouting department scores a hit.

Mecca
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, that sucks. After watching us have little to no blocking on the left side and no push up the middle on the defensive line, you'd hope (think) you'd get a starter at one of those positions.

Hopefully you're wrong, and our scouting department scores a hit.

I think at our pick finding a good starting LT is going to be almost impossible.......I think they might find a solid DT who fits the style in the mid rounds but I wouldn't expect an impact player.

suds79
01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
I think at our pick finding a good starting LT is going to be almost impossible.......I think they might find a solid DT who fits the style in the mid rounds but I wouldn't expect an impact player.

While I agree with you in theory about finding a starting LT in the draft is slim to none given on where we're picking. I think we have to keep in mind that Jordan Black is still currently our starter.

It's not going to take much to send him to the bench because he's simply not athletic enough to play the position.

But overall, we're going to need a little luck in drafting a players. We've gotta hit.

But hey. We did it with DJ & Hali.

Chief Roundup
01-13-2007, 11:21 PM
While I agree with you in theory about finding a starting LT in the draft is slim to none given on where we're picking. I think we have to keep in mind that Jordan Black is still currently our starter.

It's not going to take much to send him to the bench because he's simply not athletic enough to play the position.

But overall, we're going to need a little luck in drafting a players. We've gotta hit.

But hey. We did it with DJ & Hali.

Jordan Black is not our starter. He is a UFA.

Halfcan
01-13-2007, 11:35 PM
We need to move up and draft Jarrett.

Tribal Warfare
01-14-2007, 12:08 AM
We need to move up and draft Jarrett.

Hell, he might slip to KC's pick. because of his average combine/Pro Day

suds79
01-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Jordan Black is not our starter. He is a UFA.

Okay. All the reason more so why finding a starter in the daft wouldn't be that hard. If Jordan Black was starting, what does that say about the other guys currently on this team?

Now if Herm and company feel that we have asending players who will be ready to fill that role next year, great! One less spot to fill in the draft.

htismaqe
01-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Okay. All the reason more so why finding a starter in the daft wouldn't be that hard. If Jordan Black was starting, what does that say about the other guys currently on this team?

Now if Herm and company feel that we have asending players who will be ready to fill that role next year, great! One less spot to fill in the draft.

Finding a starter in the draft will be easy. Finding a GOOD starter is the challenge.

suds79
01-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Finding a starter in the draft will be easy. Finding a GOOD starter is the challenge.

Ain't that the truth.

Lets hope Carl earns that paycheck.

God help us. :grovel: