PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the offensive line - my plan

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Obviously this is our biggest weakness. How can we upgrade the talent?

I think this approach might work:

LT - move up in the draft and get one of the three premier offensive tackles. I think they are all worth it.

Joe Thomas, Wisconsin - maybe out of our reach.

Levi Brown, Penn St. - we could probably get this guy if we moved up 10 spots or so.

Tony Ugoh, Arkansas - I actually don't know who the hell this guy is but Mel Kiper had him going as the 10th pick.

LG - We're set with Waters.

C - This is where it gets interesting. I think Wiegmann needs to go. I'm not sure who's out there in free agency, but Larry Moore might be a good pickup. He can play guard and center and is bigger than Casey.

RG - The obvious choice to replace Shields is Welbourn, but I think he's done. I think Black could play well as the right guard. The other option is if we can't get one of the LTs in the draft, Justin Blalock might be around.

RT - I'm hopeful that Terry can step in and start next year at a high level. It's pretty difficult to replace four offensive linemen in one year so someone off the roster is going to have to step up.

suds79
01-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Well as far as LT, Joe Thomas is probably out of the question in that we'd have to give up too much for him.

If Levi Brown is the guy the Cheifs want, I'm okay with moving up about 5 spots for him. Anything more than that and we'd have to start to give up a lot of draft picks for and given this teams age, I don't know if I'm comfortable with that.

The other Tackles the Chiefs could probably get at any time.

As far as RG if Willie Retires? I've seen enough of Jordan Black to know I don't believe he can play in the NFL and I feel insulted just in that he's on this team.

The guard position is not all that much of a concern to me though. IMO, it's not a key position and we could draft any fatty in the Mid rounds to come in and play.

I just hope the Chiefs do what they can to bring in talent for the Tackle position.

I'd just like to see them draft young guys and play them.

Mile High Mania
01-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Oline may very well need fixing, but I think KC is going to have to look at the WR position... teams didn't respect the passing game this season, IMO.

suds79
01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Oline may very well need fixing, but I think KC is going to have to look at the WR position... teams didn't respect the passing game this season, IMO.

Yeah I agree 100%.

I'd still rather have Jarrett instead of the 3rd best Tackle.

eazyb81
01-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Don't pay too much attention to Mel's big board at this point, he changes it up a lot between here and draft day to keep interest high. Tony Ugoh is nowhere near a 1st round caliber tackle, and will probably end up being the 6th or 7th best tackle available.

Levi Brown is a mauler and would be a great fit for our offense. There is a decent chance he could be still be on the board when we pick, but we'll have to wait for the combine.

Luckily (or unluckily) we have a lot of needs this year, so we should find a quality player at OT, DT, WR, or even QB in the 1st round.

Priest4Prez
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Jake Lang is in our range. He is the best LT choice. I think we could convert him to RT. We grab him in the second round. First Round we move up for Levi Brown. Also, some Iowa fan said they had an overlooked G we could grab in the Third round to replace shields. Grab Korey Hall in the Fourth Round. Pick up a reciever in the fifth. Trade our last two picks for C. That is how we rebuild.

ROYC75
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Is Brown quick enough as a brawler ?

Damn, Joe Thomas is impressive thou...... Somehow, if possible without giving up the farm, that would go a long way to helping the OL.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Jake Lang is in our range. He is the best LT choice. I think we could convert him to RT. We grab him in the second round.

Jake Long, and yes I have seen him projected as a RT. I think RT is as big a need as the other position, too.

Basileus777
01-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't think Jake Long is going to come out. I'm still not sure Ugoh is a left tackle at the next level and don't think he is a first rounder. Our chances of getting a OT in the first round are pretty slim unless we want Brown.

Mecca
01-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Jake Long already said he wasn't coming out, same as Sam Baker.

This isn't the best year to need a OT unless you're picking top 10.....no matter how bad we need a LT, WR is every bit as much of a problem.

Eric
01-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Need TWO ot's ! Not one.

Sounds crazy but maybe take 3.

Take TWO DT's also.

Order doesn't matter. Find the right guy for the value pick.

BIG K
01-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Strange that the O-Line looked just fine when Huard was behind it. I am not a Huard fan and never will be. The o-line will be just fine 'next' year as long as the Chief's have a QB that does not need 35 seconds to make his reads...

The problem is Green, deal with it....

Mecca
01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
We basically have a problem at almost every position on offense.

Basileus777
01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Who were we playing when Huard was in, the NFC West? The only good defensive team we played with Huard was San Diego and that was at home. Our line played poorly at Miami.

BIG K
01-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Good point!

RealSNR
01-07-2007, 12:13 PM
BAA in Round 1. There's plenty of talent left in round 2, IMO. If Jarrett is on the board, we HAVE to take him

Mecca
01-07-2007, 12:14 PM
We should have all seen this coming, this is what happens when you draft and sign nothing but defensive players for years. Not to mention tons of those guys not panning out so there are still issues on the defense.

This team has needed a WR for 2 decades.....

RealSNR
01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
We should have all seen this coming, this is what happens when you draft and sign nothing but defensive players for years. Not to mention tons of those guys not panning out so there are still issues on the defense.

This team has needed a WR for 2 decades.....I hear Johnnie Morton is available

BIG K
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I hear Johnnie Morton is available

Morton has always been available, and he plays both ways from what I hear....

siberian khatru
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
We have so many needs on both sides of the ball, it's going to take at least two seasons to address them all -- and that assumes we actually successfully fill 3-4 starting this year. We whiff on all but one, and we're in very deep shit for years to come.

That's why we need to go BAA with almost every pick, IMO.

Mecca
01-07-2007, 12:20 PM
We have so many needs on both sides of the ball, it's going to take at least two seasons to address them all -- and that assumes we actually successfully fill 3-4 starting this year. We whiff on all but one, and we're in very deep shit for years to come.

That's why we need to go BAA with almost every pick, IMO.

So what happens when Carl signs a couple of 30+ year old FA's to fill some of those holes....I know it's coming it's Carl.

Coach
01-07-2007, 12:20 PM

All areas except:
LG
H-Back/Fullback/TE (Wilson)
RB
TE - Depending on Gonzo's contract status.

That's about it. though.

Mecca
01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Brian Waters isn't even good anymore.......he's gotten smoked numerous times this year it's like he just woke up 1 day and lost half his talent.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Brian Waters isn't even good anymore.......he's gotten smoked numerous times this year it's like he just woke up 1 day and lost half his talent.

Stop. Just stop.

siberian khatru

It's like he woke up one day and Willie Roaf wasn't on his left shoulder.

Mecca
Stop. Just stop.

Watch some games this year.......he went from a top notch player to a pretty average player.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Watch some games this year.......he went from a top notch player to a pretty average player.

I think every player on the Chiefs sucks. You?

Basileus777
01-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Waters has regressed significantly this year. He is still a good player, but he isn't the 2nd best guard in football anymore.

KCinNY
01-07-2007, 12:32 PM
I hear Johnnie Morton is available

I'll bet Carl will shrewdly send our 2nd round pick to the Eagles for Victor Bailey.

Priest4Prez
01-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Merry Christmas Kansas City! Baseball season is just around the corner. We can forget about the Chiefs problems and focus on the Royal's problems for the next six months. BTW, everybody says they are going to stay. Look at Vince Young. He said he was going to stay to win the Heisman his senior year. All of a sudden, he decides to declare eligable for the draft. Lang and Brown will fix a hell of a lot. Any pro QB can throw to average recievers if he has time. Lang will make Waters better, and Shields might stick around one more year if he senses he will have help.

Iowanian
01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Alot of holes to fill...too many. There isn't any really good ammo to use to move up, and the Chiefs can't afford to give up any picks...if anything else, they need to try to AQUIRE some 2-3rd round type picks.

Priest4Prez
01-07-2007, 05:57 PM
It's doable, refer to my draft strategy earilier in this thread. It is Long instead of Lang, I apologize.

CoMoChief
01-07-2007, 06:22 PM
We have Jordan Black, problem solved!!!

Rain Man
01-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I think a key next year will be the development of Will Svitek. Can he play or not? If yes, that'll help a ton.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I think a key next year will be the development of Will Svitek. Can he play or not? If yes, that'll help a ton.

That's a good point. It would be a big help if he could provide competition at one of the tackle spots.

plbrdude
01-07-2007, 06:45 PM

then we must draft an entire offense

suds79
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Exactly. With the exception here and there, IMO for the most part FAs don't get you the production you pay for them.

The key is drafting well. So I just want us to draft players and not be afraid to play/start them (ex: mid rounder guys) . If we do that, this team will get younger in a hurry.

StcChief
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM
So the draftees of last two years go on the trash heap.
Svitek, Stallings, Nueswiger ?

GROB
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
How about this fatass project. He is great at protecting a box of krispy kremes and shows a mean streak when he decides to turn on them.

Priest4Prez
01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
How about this fatass project. He is great at protecting a box of krispy kremes and shows a mean streak when he decides to turn on them.
Would have done better at lt than Black did on saturday.

OctoberFart
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Funny sh!t there.

Hammock Parties
07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Funny sh!t there.

You are absolutely obssessed with me, aren't you? It's kinda cute. Hero worship?

CoMoChief
07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Hey it's Autumndumbass. Whats up loser? Enjoy bringing up meaningless threads that are 7 months old?

Priest4Prez
07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
God, this thread is ****ing old.

OctoberFart
07-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey it's Autumndumbass. Whats up loser? Enjoy bringing up meaningless threads that are 7 months old?
Well since this is a football board I figured we should go over a football thread instead of a jacking off, booger eating, farting, crying about spoiling a movie threads.

Hammock Parties
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Well since this is a football board I figured we should go over a football thread instead of a jacking off, booger eating, farting, crying about spoiling a movie threads.

You should have attempted to start a new one, then. No one cares about a thread that is literally months old. The only reason you bumped it is because someone was slamming me. YOU ARE OBSSESSED WITH GOCHIEFS.

Hydrae
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM

If you want to get technical, yes this is a football board. However, it is a CHIEFS football board, what are you doing here? :p

blueballs
07-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I command
this thread to be
unstickied

and the thread starter
getting a time out

BigMeatballDave
07-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky:: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky:: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky:: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: Sticky: