PDA

View Full Version : Nick Saban

jspchief
01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
WTF is up the with all the media hacks trashing Saban for leaving Miami?

They act like he betrayed the team and organization for taking the Alabama job. Head coaches are fired before the end of their contract on an annual basis. But these guys want to talk about loaylty? Who's wife did Saban screw to create this much media ire?

StcChief
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Good for Nick Saban. It's ultimately all about $$$.

Miami would have thrown him under the bus in a year or two.

Hoover
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree. If the dude doesn't like the pro game and wants out, he should get out. Do they really think it would be best for the Dolphins to keep a coach who doesn't want to be there?

Cochise
01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
It's because he said he wasn't leaving and went back on his word.

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
No one is upset that Saban left. No one blames him for leaving. The uproar is in the way in which he departed. He flat-out lied to the organization, fans and media. He then was too much of a chickenshit to announce his decision face-to-face, instead skipping a planned meeting and phone-calling it in to the owner and his coaches.

Brock
01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
In the NFL, loyalty is for the fans. Everything else is for sale.

Phobia
01-08-2007, 10:18 AM

True. The organizations don't practice what they preach.

I don't blame Saban at all.

vailpass
01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
These columnists sound like the girl who got dumped and have a bad case of can't-get-over-it bitter bitch face.

Huizenga could have fired Saban any old time he wanted and nobody would say a word. Saban struck first. Tough titty. Wanna' cry foul, say he was duplicitous for not coming out and saying he was in talks with 'Bama? It's the same thing anyone does when they are being courted by a new employer but don't yet have a solid offer. You have to protect your current gig until you have a sure thing in hand.

It's a tough business, Saban played by the rules the owners created. Miami needs to quit bleeding and move on.

morphius
01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
The media is always gonna make an uproar about something when you lie to their faces. He does deserve some blame for the way he handled it with the organization, but it isn't a huge deal.

siberian khatru
01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
IIRC, it wasn't just that Saban denied he was interested in Alabama -- he attacked the media for asking him the questions, made it sound like they were making up a non-story. He basically called them a bunch of liars.

That's why Miami media is pissed at him.

Chiefnj
01-08-2007, 10:26 AM
35 million reasons to be jealous.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I think it has more to do.....with his complete, absolute, and unequivocal DENIAL, on NUMEROUS occasions, DENYING he was interested or leaving. That, and the fact, he became really whiney, insistent, and almost insulting whenever they dared to raise the issue...

Now, I know the press can be asses, but how about a simple and consistent "no comment" or "I'm not going to discuss any of that. I coach the Miami Dolphins"....rather than the theatrics he put them through.

Just my take.

htismaqe
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
No one is upset that Saban left. No one blames him for leaving. The uproar is in the way in which he departed. He flat-out lied to the organization, fans and media. He then was too much of a chickenshit to announce his decision face-to-face, instead skipping a planned meeting and phone-calling it in to the owner and his coaches.

He didn't skip the meeting. WH met him at his house, rather than at the office.

jspchief
01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Yea the denial... because there's never been an owner that claimed a HC was safe in his job to turn around and fire him a few weeks later.

All this false outrage is hypocritical bullshit.

Chiefnj
01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
In Saban's defense, not that he needs it, I think he did turn the job down when it was originally offered. After Saban's original denial, weren't there other reports of other coaches turning the job down as well?

I think 'bama came back to Saban with a lot more money in order to save face.

FringeNC
01-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Yea the denial... because there's never been an owner that claimed a HC was safe in his job to turn around and fire him a few weeks later.

All this false outrage is hypocritical bullshit.

There is one key difference. When an owner fires a coach, the coach still gets PAID. He can't weasle out of his contract. It's not the same thing at all.

An owner has to rely on the integrity of a coach to fulfill his end of the bottom.

Demonpenz
01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
It's because he skipped his meetings and phone'd it in instead of meeting face to face. Thats whats wrong with the world these days. We used to do business with a handshake. Now it's with agents, cell phones, and rap music.

Phobia
01-08-2007, 11:24 AM
There is one key difference. When an owner fires a coach, the coach still gets PAID. He can't weasle out of his contract. It's not the same thing at all.

An owner has to rely on the integrity of a coach to fulfill his end of the bottom.

The coaches or the organization to which they departed generally buy out their end of the contract and if Alabama doesn't owe Wayne money it's probably his own fault for not structuring the contract with that provision.

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
It is just not the media. Jimmy Johnson and Don Shula rip him a new asshole as well

Maybe after all these years former Dolphins coaches Don Shula and Jimmy Johnson have found a subject on which they agree.

They both don't like the most recent member of the former Fins coaches club, Nick Saban.

Said Johnson on Friday: "I don't like the way [Saban] treats people that are working for a living," said Johnson. "I'm talking about some of the [media] working for $30,000 and $40,000 that are helping him be a star yet he's that way to them and he belittles those people. That's what turned me off on him right off the bat when he came to the Dolphins. . . . He had a tough time dealing with the NFL."

Said Shula in the wake of Saban's departure: "He has run away from the challenge. It's unbelievable. There were four or five statements that were blatant lies. That tells you a little bit about the guy. . . . He quit. He left. . . . The guy likes to hear himself talk and then doesn't follow up on what he says.''

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spdolnotes06jan06,0,2304235.story?coll=sfla-sports-front
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16378669.htm

hawkchief
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm hopeful Carl will pull a reverse-Roy Williams, and pleasantly shock everyone by calling a presser and declaring "I'm leavin'".

HemiEd
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM

That is going into my sig, damn the truth hurts.

Predarat
01-08-2007, 11:28 AM
The media is ripping him a new one because he lied but the main reason is they just don't like him. If he were a 'nice guy' they wouldn't be as hard on him. But because he was an ass about dening it they are really letting him have it.

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree it's stupid. I don't believe he thought he was leaving when he said he wasn't. Even if he did what answer would you expect him to give? He is just doing his best to finish out the season. Media is friggen retarded

Brock
01-08-2007, 11:37 AM
It isn't lying if you believe it. /Costanza

htismaqe
01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
It's because he skipped his meetings and phone'd it in instead of meeting face to face. Thats whats wrong with the world these days. We used to do business with a handshake. Now it's with agents, cell phones, and rap music.

Saban didn't skip his meeting with Huizenga.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree it's stupid. I don't believe he thought he was leaving when he said he wasn't. Even if he did what answer would you expect him to give? He is just doing his best to finish out the season. Media is friggen retarded

How about:

"No comment."

"Sorry fellas, I'm not going to talk about it. Period."

"You guys know already, I'm not getting into this. I'm currently the coach of the Miami Dolphins. End of story."

Any consistent message along those lines would've helped him to avoid the criticism he's facing....not that it really matters much. :shrug:

It just puts him out there as a jerk....as a liar....if he can live with that, and most Americans seem able to these days, WTF I guess....

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Welcome to America in the 21st Century....

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
How about:

"No comment."

"Sorry fellas, I'm not going to talk about it. Period."

"You guys know already, I'm not getting into this. I'm currently the coach of the Miami Dolphins. End of story."

Any consistent message along those lines would've helped him to avoid the criticism he's facing....not that it really matters much. :shrug:

It just puts him out there as a jerk....as a liar....if he can live with that, and most Americans seem able to these days, WTF I guess....

You act like the media is entitled to a correct answer. I think he did a great job of moving on. Deflections just create more anticipation of him leaving. More anticipation of him leaving can create all kinds of problems. **** the media especially ESPN.

Sportscenter last night showed about 10 seconds of the Lakers game which was unbelievable considering they beat Dallas without their number 2 and 3 players ending a 13 game winning streak. Which leads to another possibility. They are really pissed because he is leaving an east coast NFL team to go coach college in the south.

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
If Don Shula calls you a liar and a quitter you know you have problems

FringeNC
01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
The coaches or the organization to which they departed generally buy out their end of the contract and if Alabama doesn't owe Wayne money it's probably his own fault for not structuring the contract with that provision.

Oh, there's some truth to that. Now that college coaching salaries have matched or exceeded that pros, it is safe to assume that pro coaches will have a buyout clause written in, too.

Jumping from team to team in the NFL is prohibited by league rules, so the NFL isn't used to having to deal with buyout clauses.

It's no surpise coaching salaries are going through the roof. I wonder how much Bill Belichick would get in a bidding war? Isn't he at least as value to the Patriots as Tom Brady? You give me my choice of Tom Brady or Bill Belichick coming to the Chiefs, and it's a no-brainer: give me the coach.

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 11:51 AM
If Don Shula calls you a liar and a quitter you know you have problems

Shula is a Dolphins guy I would expect as much. Anybody ever eat at one of his steak houses?

C-Mac
01-08-2007, 11:52 AM

True...true :(

Chiefnj
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Saban took the Bill Belichick avenue toward the media and they have resented it every moment. He made their lives difficult by not being allowed to talk to assistants, etc. When things were going well for the Dolphins the media jumped on the bandwagon, when things got rough they jumped off and started slamming the guy. Now that he is on his way out, they have a final chance to try to say FU for all the problems you caused us. That's where Jimmy's comments come from. Now that Jimmy is in the booth and needs coaches comments to analyze and discuss he forgets his blowups when he was with Miami and Dallas.

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Shula is a Dolphins guy I would expect as much. Anybody ever eat at one of his steak houses?

When has Shula ever said anything negative in public about anyone?

The guy is class all the way.

WilliamTheIrish
01-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Thread OVER!!!!!!

Brock..... ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
01-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Saban didn't skip his meeting with Huizenga.

But Dan LeBetard said so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ on a crutch, people. He had the meeting with the owner. Face to face. Hizuenga said as much.

And to act like professional players give a shit about it is ridiculous.

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 11:59 AM
When has Shula ever said anything negative in public about anyone?

The guy is class all the way.

I don't know the details I am just defending how he handled the media which I thought he did perfectly. The media is not entitled to know everything when it happens. It was Saban's job to get the most out of his players while he remained there. Giving the media what they wanted or deflecting would have given his team less than their best possibility of winning every game that remained this season.