PDA

View Full Version : Manning sucked. Was it because of Guther's scheme?

Taco John
01-08-2007, 09:30 AM
We all saw how bad a start Manning got to in the game. So a question for Chiefs fans:

Do you think Manning sucked because of Gunther's scheme confused him?

shaneo69
01-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Who cares?

siberian khatru
01-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Well, he and the receivers seemed to not be on the same page a few times in the 1st half (i.e., Law's first INT). Maybe it was just one of those things. Maybe Gun was mixing things up and confused them.

Redrum_69
01-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Go bang a donkey

Taco John
01-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Who cares?

If Gunther has the ability to scheme Manning into confusion, you guys should care, because it would mean you've got one of the best DCs in the game.

ROYC75
FTR, I think it was a little of both. Manning did have an off day but he did say the KC D was better than years past and presented a tougher challenge in one of his million interviews.

Our local CBS station here in Ky is from the Evansville In market. Which carries the Colts, that question was brought up by a reporter. It wasn't shown on ESPN from what I saw, if it did, I missed it.

BTA, I wasn't into watching Manning's 10 K interviews or any for that matter.

WilliamTheIrish
No. They had over 200 yards of offense in the first half. They were gashing us for 6-7 yards a pop on the ground.

Manning simply made bad throws. Unusual? Yes. Due to Gunther? Laughable.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2007, 09:35 AM
gunthers lack of scheme is what confused him.

Manning kept looking for signs/hints about what the defense was gonna do and couldn't find it because they players couldn't show him what didn't exist.

Frazod
01-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I think it comes down to two things - we are actually able to get a little pressure on him, and Law owns his ass.

Taco John
01-08-2007, 09:40 AM
I think it comes down to two things - we are actually able to get a little pressure on him, and Law owns his ass.

I'd have to disagree with that. I didn't think you got much pressure on Manning until the end of the game. You only had one sack on him, and the guy is pretty much a statue in the pocket.

By comparison, Indy registered 4 sacks against you guys.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I think it was funny that Manning was asked "did you tell Ty you would buy him dinner?" Peyton replied "No i told him I think he owes ME a dinner and then some."

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Nobody gets much pressure against Indy. We got enough to make him move around and he was even running for his life a couple times. I don't think it was Gunther...this is Herm's scheme and we've got alot more talent than we had the last time we faced Manning.

Starting Page at OLB was a good move, however.

We basically ran out the same gameplan we had in St. Louis (that's why there were so many short completions) and it would have worked if the offense hadn't disappeared.

WilliamTheIrish

Manning is a gazelle compared to Green. And having Jordan Black at LT.... sigh.

KILLER_CLOWN
I'd have to disagree with that. I didn't think you got much pressure on Manning until the end of the game. You only had one sack on him, and the guy is pretty much a statue in the pocket.

What game were you watching? we had good pressure on him until late in the 3rd quarter when our defense had spent all day out there and was tired as shit.

siberian khatru
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
If Gunther has the ability to scheme Manning into confusion, you guys should care, because it would mean you've got one of the best DCs in the game.

IIRC, Gun had a good 1st half against Manning in 2004, too (granted, at KC).

el borracho
01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
1. Law owns Manning
2. Manning had an off day
3. the scheme probably did frustrate Manning- not confuse, but frustrate. Manning does not like to dink and dunk which is what our scheme gave him. Manning wants to be the hero who throws the big TD.

StcChief
01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I thought 1st half had Manning in check. coverage/presusre where good.

off day....NO.

Still puzzled why Law didn't mow him down on return.

SithCeNtZ
01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Manning had as many incompletions(8) this game as he did in 2003. He completed more passes in this game. 2 of his picks came on miscommunications with Harrison, so we can throw those out. All in all I'm not sure how you can support the idea that we confused him.

Cochise
01-08-2007, 09:52 AM
It looked like they concentrated on taking away the deep routes. The defense executed their half of the game plan to contain the big passing plays. I would grade them a B. Manning missed a few throws, but mostly I think we just took away the big plays and gave him the other stuff.

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
The plan was to keep everything in front of the safeties and force FGs. If the O has a clue, the score is 7-6 KC at halftime. Even as bad as the O played, it was 9-0 at halftime, all FGs. Manning had 9 INTs all year and we picked him 3x in this game AT HOME. Talk about stats and yards all you want, but if this D doesn't have to be on the field for FORTY minutes, the Colts have maybe 375 yards and 20 points. The offense failed miserably with 4 free possessions.

Whether it was Gun or Herm or just good playing, the D did more than its share on Saturday. Common sense tells you Gun had something to do with it.

jspchief
01-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I think it was the fact that we had good downfield coverage, combined with Manning's inability to accept a smaller role in the offense and settle for short gains.

Between Surtain, Law, Walls, and Page, we had good coverage. Mannign wasn't finding anyone but TEs open. Since Manning is a glory whore, he struggled with settling for the TEs and made bad choices.

I don't think it was scheme. I think it was our 100 million dollar secondary.

trndobrd
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
It is not just a question of confusing Manning. Manning and his receivers have to make the same reads. I am willing to credit much of the miscommunication to the Chiefs defense ability (finally) to disguise their blitz, or show blitz and move back into coverage.

Manning is easily frustrated when things don't go his way. A couple hurries, some miscommunication and the inability to go for the long ball got in his head.

jynni
01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
I thought 1st half had Manning in check. coverage/presusre where good.

off day....NO.

Still puzzled why Law didn't mow him down on return.

At the time it happened I was joking that Law was probably afraid of getting called for roughing the passer or unnecessary roughness for daring to touch Mangina.

Seriously...the home video of toddler Manning crying to his mommy that he was being touched revealed so much...

stumppy
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Off topic.
Does anyone else think having a picture of a dead person laying in their coffin as your Avatar/signature pic/ or anything else is just fuggin creepy ?
I don't care who it is, or the circumstances of the persons death. Just a little too weird. It gives me the oogies.

Bill Lundberg
01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Off topic.
Does anyone else think having a picture of a dead person laying in their coffin as your Avatar/signature pic/ or anything else is just fuggin creepy ?
I don't care who it is, or the circumstances of the persons death. Just a little too weird. It gives me the oogies.

I was about to post the same thing. That's f'ed up. If you want to remember him, put a picture of him doing something other than lying in a casket.

greg63
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
We all saw how bad a start Manning got to in the game. So a question for Chiefs fans:

Do you think Manning sucked because of Gunther's scheme confused him?

Does it matter?

OnTheWarpath58
01-08-2007, 11:39 AM

And 3 of those were in the same series with less than 8 minutes left in the game.....

Think they knew we were gonna pass? :rolleyes:

Frankie
01-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Coverage. Period. Manning wasn't getting his receivers separated and was getting frustrated. We might have exposed his Achilles heal.

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Yes because Gun > Coyer

jersey
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I will never understand the pass the media gives Manning. During the regular season, Manning is amazing and the media crowns him king. During the playoffs (or any other big game going back to college) Manning looks very pedestrian (Ryan Leaf level) and the media says it's the rest of the team's fault (Colts defense, opposing defense holding receivers, dropped passes, whatever excuse works).

The fact is Manning continues to fold whenever he's under any pressure to win.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2007, 12:37 PM
The blueprint on Manning has been out for awhile hasn't it? You don't stop him, you slow him down. Make him dink & dunk, limit the chunks of yardage

BigRock
01-08-2007, 12:55 PM
IIRC, Gun had a good 1st half against Manning in 2004, too (granted, at KC).
Yep. If it was just one game, I think you could write it off as Manning having a bad day. But we've gotten him off his game two straight times now. That has to go back to Gun.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Yep. If it was just one game, I think you could write it off as Manning having a bad day. But we've gotten him off his game two straight times now. That has to go back to Gun.

When Gun was at Tennessee, they slowed down Manning as well. That with Law and the Pats expertise at it, should be no suprise.

NJ Chief Fan
01-08-2007, 01:41 PM
manning shits his pants when ty law is lined up on the opposite side of the field. he is afraid of throwing his way more so than some scheme gun put together