PDA

View Full Version : WEIR: Just Awful

C-Mac
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
WEIR: Just Awful
Jan 08, 2007, 8:47:54 AM by Eileen Weir - FAQ

In the mid-1970’s my dad ran an ad in the classified section of our local newspaper. It read: “For Sale: Volkswagen, 1965. Just awful. $50.00.”

With all the adjectives being employed to describe the catastrophe of Saturday’s Kansas City Chiefs playoff appearance, the power expressed in a few words is all that is required to sum up the performance. In Indianapolis on Saturday the Chiefs were just awful.

I, like countless other fans of the red and gold, determined that I would not be disappointed in the team if they found themselves defeated by the 12-4 Colts. The very opportunity to participate in January play was so unexpected, such a treat, that I vowed to be satisfied with a post-season appearance regardless of the outcome.

Not so. Today, it hurts.

The pride and optimism that swelled in the hearts of a great number of Chiefs fans following the regular season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars has dissipated. Grinding out a gritty win at Arrowhead Stadium on New Year’s Eve gave local boosters the impression that this may be a team on the rise. Saturday’s team looked like one on the decline.

It is hard to imagine that Indianapolis Colts fans are basking in the glory of victory and confidence this week either. The team’s renowned high-octane offense sputtered against the Chiefs 16th-ranked defense. Only by failing to capitalize on scoring opportunities inside the red zone, missing a gimme field goal, and coming up empty handed on three Peyton Manning interceptions, did the lackluster Chiefs squander every chance to put away a potentially beatable AFC South division champs.

Continuing their unsavory trend of under-producing in the post-season, the Colts, too, came across as a team whose window is closing quickly. A peer into the crystal ball predicts that Manning and company may well suffer a scorching loss before this post-season is put to bed.

Losing a playoff game is never fun. But losing to a team who subsequently gets squashed in a later round, as I foretell the Colts will do, is doubly hard to swallow. When the Chiefs lost the AFC Divisional Playoff Game to the Denver Broncos following the 1997 season, we could at least console ourselves with the fact that Denver went on to be Super Bowl champions. There’s no shame in losing to a team that ultimately proves it self to be the best in the league.

Watching the Colts manage haltingly to wipe out Kansas City’s post-season run was like looking in the rear-view mirror. The Chiefs, of all people, should have known how exploit Indy’s vulnerabilities. In the not so distant past, we were them. High-scoring offense, porous defense.

But not this week. With all the pre-game attention on the Colts rushing defense which has the dubious honor of being dead last in the NFL, every human being not living under a rock expected the Chiefs to uncork Larry Johnson for huge yardage. Unfortunately for Kansas City, the Colts defense was MIA when that particular Kool-aid was being served. Call it bulletin board material, pride, or sheer force of will, but the Colts permeable run defense bucked its billing and shut down the League’s second-leading rusher.

We all read the previews leading up to this most unlikely of playoff appearances. If there was skepticism on the part of Chiefs backers, it was aimed at the defense and questions about the line’s ability to pressure Manning and slow down the speedy and precisely accurate Colts passing game. But when the film started rolling, it was all wrong, topsy-turvy. Where were the 1,000-plus rushing yards? Where were the Manning-powered zip passes downfield? This wasn’t what we ordered.

Worse than witnessing a loss by a favored team, Saturday’s game may go down in memory as one of the most dreadful to watch. Neither team looked like they belonged in post-season play. Neither displayed any energy. Everyone looked bewildered, befuddled, and bedazzled by the game’s unanticipated events. The contest succeeded in achieving something that is rare in professional football, it was boring. Not just ugly but uninteresting.

Questions and concerns will burble to the surface in these days following the 2006 campaign. Key veteran free agents still anguishing over the disappointing end to an erratic season will be pressed for details on their state of mind and willingness to remain on the roster. Being a man of great integrity, Coach Herm Edwards will willingly place the blame for shortfalls squarely on his shoulders. Uprising fans and media members will demand resignations and firings.

And we will all have to live with this vile feeling for a while. “For sale: Midwestern moral, 2006. Just awful. Best offer.”

Phobia
01-08-2007, 10:31 AM
It was refreshing to read a column from Ms. Weir that did not condescend to fans.

This is a quality piece - within she was fair and not too verbose.

For the first time, nice work Ms. Weir.

kc rush
01-08-2007, 10:45 AM
It was refreshing to read a column from Ms. Weir that did not condescend to fans.

And it was actually about football which seems a rarity from her.

C-Mac
01-08-2007, 10:47 AM

My thoughts also, she wrote it as a fan.

HemiEd
01-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Being a man of great integrity, Coach Herm Edwards will willingly place the blame for shortfalls squarely on his shoulders.

I missed it where he took the blame. He blamed Solari for being a Rookie OC last time I checked.

Halfcan
01-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I wonder which half of the game she watched?