PDA

View Full Version : Colbert's 'black friend' - 'The Daily Show tried a black writer once . . .

Baby Lee
01-08-2007, 12:00 PM
You probably know Jordan Carlos, by face if not by name, or at least by nickname: He's Stephen Colbert's Black Friend, a comedian who sounded off in this weekend's Washington Post about the dearth of black faces among the comedy crowd, and his own experience as a black comedian. Here's a telling excerpt:

Entering the comedy world as a black man means you always stand out, even during off hours, such as one Christmas evening in New York at my first holiday comedy mixer. All of Gotham's comedic glitterati were there. I cornered a "Daily Show" writer, doing my best to get the inside track on a possible actor/writer gig. We broached the subject of black correspondents. He told me that they "tried a black guy once, but it didn't work out." I nearly threw my imported beer in his face. Tried it once and it didn't work? You say that about Toyotas, not a whole race of people. But to date, comedy writing is pretty whitewashed. As of this season, "Saturday Night Live" has no black writers. "The Daily Show" also doesn't have any, and neither does "The Colbert Report," a show on which I've played Stephen Colbert's black friend "Alan," a member of the staff. That's right. "The Colbert Report" had to hire an actor to play a black person who works on the show.

Extra Point
01-08-2007, 12:04 PM
"'The Colbert Report' had to hire an actor to play a black person who works on the show."

Carlos probably wasn't black enough.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
"'The Colbert Report' had to hire an actor to play a black person who works on the show."

Carlos probably wasn't black enough.
Who?

Baby Lee
01-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Who?
http://www.wikiality.com/images/thumb/200px-ColbertAlan.png

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.wikiality.com/images/thumb/200px-ColbertAlan.png
I was asking about "Carlos" who he said isn't black enough.

Chiefnj
01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Are those three shows the best examples to give? The Daily Show the Colbert Report and this season of SNL are pretty funny at the moment.

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Ask him how many Honkies wrote for "martin" or any of the Wayans shows.

Phobia
01-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Who cares what color the writers are? Seriously? Nobody sees them. If they have funny material, they're gonna get hired.

This is one of the dumbest outcries of racism I've ever seen.

Bowser
01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Did he get revenge by spray painting "Honky Lips" on the side of Colbert's car?

stumppy
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Who cares what color the writers are? Seriously? Nobody sees them. If they have funny material, they're gonna get hired.

This is one of the dumbest outcries of racism I've ever seen.

Just another example of throwing something out to see if it will stick. If it does, great, they'll ride it for all it's worth. If not....no big deal.

crazycoffey
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Did he get revenge by spray painting "Honky Lips" on the side of Colbert's car?

ROFL

StcChief
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Just what we need affirmative action in entertainment
:rolleyes:

splatbass
01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Just another example of throwing something out to see if it will stick. If it does, great, they'll ride it for all it's worth. If not....no big deal.

He is probably trying to create a controversy and use the publicity to get a writing gig. He probably isn't that funny, or he would have a gig already.

Cochise
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I used to like the Colbert Report, but it's just the same joke over and over for 30 minutes every night. zzzz

ChiefFripp
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Cry me a river...

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
"Saturday Night Live" has no black writers.

That may explain why when the do any Al Sharpton skits, that crap ain't funny. And Kenan Thompson isn't funny. Maybe if he had some help from black writers, and they're perspective, he'd improve. Really the SNL still sux other than "Digital Shorts" and "Weekend Update"(which is weaker than ever IMO). They might as well bring in some black writers. It couldn't hurt.

Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Tim Meadows, Tracy Morgan. All excellent black comedians on SNL. I don't know if they had black writers for support, but I know that they're genius enough to create for themselves.

Richard Pryor and Dave Chappelle, two of the funniest comedians ever, worked(s) with black writers, so writng ppl off because they're "black writers" is ignorant. We all know Chappelle's feelings on white run entertainment. So if Carlos wants to get further the biz, he better understand what the pitfalls can be.

And what about Friday. A comedy best written by Ice Cube and DJ Pooh. It's greatness driven not by stereotyping but superb situational comedy. Granted it's sequel is pretty weak but most are.

"tried a black guy once, but it didn't work out."

Carlos should obviously upset upset about that dismissve statement. I can find that offensive. But is Carlos also upset about not having a "black correspondent" or a correspondent who is black? The former can be just as offensive as not have one(and that's probably what the D.S. "tried"), while the latter and is worth being upset about.

The bottom line is if you have talent and desire, you'll find a way to succeed. And all the execs can kick themselves for dismissing you later.

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess you guys all got the same feeling, I just felt like being verbous about it.

38yrsfan
01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Just what we need affirmative action in entertainment
:rolleyes:

Seems to be an accepted fact in every aspect of life including the professional world. :(

Braincase
01-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Part of the issue is that if a black comic makes a joke with racial inferences, I find myself saying , "Damn that was funny" on the inside, but externally, I have to check myself, and go... "Yeah, that was funny, but as a white guy, is it OK for me to laugh at that?".

That's when the black comic seeing me laugh, gets to double up and say "Hey, man, that joke is only for black guys. You're white. You don't get to laugh".

I mean this in jest, but I do think there is an ounce of truth to it.

(Go watch Chappelle, but try not to laugh. Act like your black friend is in the room staring at you)

Phobia
01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't have black friends. I merely have token black acquaintances so that I'm not labelled.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I live with a black guy...the first thing we did together was go get some fried chicken. We still laugh about that.

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
I hope you and Rupaul are very happy together Zach.

God bless your civil union.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I hope you and Rupaul are very happy together Zach.

God bless your civil union.
[insert tired bawos joke]

Easy 6
01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
...... :ZZZ: ...

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Is that you Taco?

[insert faux-pained intellectual Emo]

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Is that you Taco?

[insert faux-pained intellectual Emo]
I would love to see an example of this. ROFL

You have spent years projecting a charicature that has little to do with me.

Am I still spoiled rich kid that doesn't have to work for anything or are you past that myth you created yet? ROFL

Easy 6
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
All i can say is that i havent been offered any dream jobs i've applied to just because i'm this VENERATED White Clean Cut Guy with a Brain.

Hearing how blacks arent getting opportunities these days makes me wanna yank my teeth out with pliers.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
just because
You're sure about that?

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I'll see if I can find a photo someone took of a rust stain that looks like its weeping.

Easy 6
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
You're sure about that?

Yer Damn Skippy

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
I'll see if I can find a photo someone took of a rust stain that looks like its weeping.
I didn't think you could back up your posts.

Poor Iowanian, taking his bawos and going home.

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking you're the one that cried and stomped out of here...complete with the desired "i'm leaving thread".

It doesn't take alot of "backing up" to know you're a taco wannabe.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking you're the one that cried and stomped out of here...complete with the desired "i'm leaving thread".

It doesn't take alot of "backing up" to know you're a taco wannabe.
We can't all sit around uploading videos of people ****ing goats.

I wish I was making this up.

Baby Lee
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
All i can say is that i havent been offered any dream jobs i've applied to just because i'm this VENERATED White Clean Cut Guy with a Brain.

Hearing how blacks arent getting opportunities these days makes me wanna yank my teeth out with pliers.
FTR, the main point of interest for me was a Daily Show rep telling him point blank "Hey! We already tried working with black people once."

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
FTR, the main point of interest for me was a Daily Show rep telling him point blank "Hey! We already tried working with black people once."
Ya, thats pretty crazy. People...

Easy 6
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Well yeah, if they only tried 1 guy then gave up then that doesnt speak well of them at all.

It just seemed that the thread was evolving into another State of the Races diatribe so i added my own experiences.

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
We can't all sit around uploading videos of people ****ing goats.

"whoa whoa whoa, don't make me moderate this thread. Lets not get too personal. I'll be watching"

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
"whoa whoa whoa, don't make me moderate this thread. Lets not get too personal. I'll be watching"
What can I say, I have seen bad things happen....after the whole Hel'n incident. I think this place shouldn't have an ill effect on someone's real life.

If only I did a fraction of the moderating people think I do.

So just so I know. What things will you imagine about me next? It could be easier knowing beforehand.

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Well, you've got taco's "martyr" thing working pretty well.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, you've got taco's "martyr" thing working pretty well.
You've got Taco on your mind....a lot.

You might want to look into that.

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Sure thing, Sheriff.

Cochise
01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
What can I say, I have seen bad things happen....after the whole Hel'n incident. I think this place shouldn't have an ill effect on someone's real life.

Hel'n did that to him/her self. How would any amount of moderation have fixed it?

Phobia
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Hel'n did that to him/her self. How would any amount of moderation have fixed it?

Hel'n should have been banned along with Denise the moment they appeared in cahoots with one another.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree with you about Hel'n, could moderation have fixed it? Maybe, maybe not. There have been instances when its obvious that this palce has spilled into real life to much and moderation happened to fix it.

chagrin
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Okay two questions here:

1) Does a writer's color really matter?
2) Who's banging goats?

edit:

okay 3
Who's the dude in Baby Lee's avatar?

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay two questions here:

1) Does a writer's color really matter?
2) Who's banging goats?
okay 3
Who's the dude in Baby Lee's avatar?

1) According to Carlos, Execs think so. But we know the public doesn't care.
2) I don't wanna know!
3) I always wondered that too. And that white spec bothers me. Makes me think I have a dead pixel.

chagrin
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
1) According to Carlos, Execs think so. But we know that consumers don't care.

3) I always wondered that too. And that white spec bothers me. Makes me think I have a dead pixel.

So dude, are you the only Illini fan on this board? Don't catch many of them

Phobia
01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Who is the dude in Zach's avatar?

Baby Lee
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
It's Roy from the Office, mug shot from the DUI he got when Pam dumped him. And my mom says that the spec [sp] is a beauty mark, . . . shows God thinks I'm special.

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
So dude, are you the only Illini fan on this board? Don't catch many of them

I know that 38yrsfan is. He said he used to live near here.

|Zach|
01-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Who is the dude in Zach's avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Hill

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
It's Roy from the Office, mug shot from the DUI he got when Pam dumped him. And my mom says that the spec [sp] is a beauty mark, . . . shows God thinks I'm special.

Ahhhh, Thanks. I haven't seen much of the Office. I did see the Christmas episode. Did you notice that the asian ladies at the resturant weren't the same as the ones that came back to the party? Wierd but funny to notice.

Baby Lee
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Ahhhh, Thanks. I haven't seen much of the Office. I did see the Christmas episode. Did you notice that the asian ladies at the resturant weren't the same as the ones that came back to the party? Wierd but funny to notice.
That was a genius move by the writers.
The surface joke was that Michael didn't remember what his 'GF' looked like.
The below-the-surface joke was that most of the viewing audience didn't even catch that these weren't the same girls they started out with in the first place.

stumppy
01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
He is probably trying to create a controversy and use the publicity to get a writing gig. He probably isn't that funny, or he would have a gig already.

Maybe he can get the Jesse Jackson speech writing gig when he shows up to denounce this atrocity.

KChiefer
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
That was a genius move by the writers.

I wonder if they have a black writer?

Iowanian
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
The surface joke was that Michael didn't remember what his 'GF' looked like.

I marked her arm.

sedated
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I marked her arm.

do we want to know how?

Ultra Peanut
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Ya, thats pretty crazy. People...White people crazy!

38yrsfan
01-11-2007, 06:19 PM
I know that 38yrsfan is. He said he used to live near here.

Yep ... for a very, very long time now ........