PDA

View Full Version : How much more simple can the Chiefs offense get??

KCChiefsFan88
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Herm claims he wants to "simplify" the offense for the benefit of younger players, but my question is how much more simple can the Chiefs offense get than it was this season.

Considering the Chiefs offense this season basically consisted of 3 plays... run LJ up the middle, run LJ to the left or right, throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd down.

Next year's offense could actually be more predictable and conservative than this year's version

FAX
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
My thoughts exactly, Mr. KCChiefsfan88. He was handed one of the most prolific offenses in the league. Now he says the players can't figure out what "run up the middle" means?

It's just his way of laying blame on the players.

FAX

Reerun_KC
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Problem the offense was to complicated for Herm to understand. His own ignorance has been his downfall for his lack of offensive knowledge...

I am thinking we could hire Richie Kotie to come and be a special assistant for Herm.

Over-Head
01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Well the way you got picked apart in the last game , if it get's any "simpler" you might as well just mail out copies of your play book.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Well the way you got picked apart in the last game , if it get's any "simpler" you might as well just mail out copies of your play book.

that's what Marty did for years

noa
01-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Our gameplan was way too complicated. You could tell the players weren't sure whether they should wait until the 3rd quarter or the 4th quarter to get their first 1st down.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Since they will spend the draft on defense, it would be nice if it was simple enough for them to play two ways

Redrum_69
01-08-2007, 02:13 PM
What is the pulse of the Chiefs fan....a top 5 defense or a top 5 offense?

We cant have both...

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
This team is going defense & I think it is the right move. Most the elements that made this team a great offensive team need replaced. Spend the draft choices and the FA dollars on defense

The high flying o was special, but amounted to nothing at season's end.

Redrum you having the makings of a good poll there

kepp
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Herm claims he wants to "simplify" the offense for the benefit of younger players, but my question is how much more simple can the Chiefs offense get than it was this season.

Considering the Chiefs offense this season basically consisted of 3 plays... run LJ up the middle, run LJ to the left or right, throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd down and 4.

Next year's offense could actually be more predictable and conservative than this year's version
FYP

Mr. Plow
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
What is the pulse of the Chiefs fan....a top 5 defense or a top 5 offense?

We cant have both...

I'll take the offense every day of the week, twice on Saturday, and a dozen times on Sunday.

MGRS13
01-08-2007, 02:42 PM

What exactly did our Great defenses of the 90's amount to at seasons end? We can have a great defense and in two years I bet we will, the bottom line is that Herm Edwards wil NEVER win a championship. The sooner we move on the better we will be.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
the bright side is even if Herm fails, he will have helped draft the young studs this defense needs

DJJasonp
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Herm's solution next year:

4 Tight End sets...a FB, and LJ....direct snaps to LJ.

Baby Lee
01-08-2007, 03:20 PM
What exactly did our Great defenses of the 90's amount to at seasons end? We can have a great defense and in two years I bet we will, the bottom line is that Herm Edwards wil NEVER win a championship. The sooner we move on the better we will be.
Luckily, this Bellichek guy just showed up at One Arrowhead Drive, hat in hand.

CoMoChief
01-08-2007, 03:20 PM
This team is going defense & I think it is the right move. Most the elements that made this team a great offensive team need replaced. Spend the draft choices and the FA dollars on defense

Redrum you having the makings of a good poll there

There is such thing as having both a good offense and defense.

TrickyNicky
01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
If anything, the players crying "predictable" should let Herm know we need to open the offense up. The few trick plays we ran this year (fake reverse PA) worked pretty well. We need more of that just to obfuscate the overall offensive scheme. We need to revisit presnap formation changes too.

StcChief
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Simple. Just hike it to LJ we don't need to stinkin' QB were aren't throwning it anyway.

crazycoffey
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Herm's solution next year:

4 Tight End sets...a FB, and LJ....direct snaps to LJ.

You know if two or three were converted tackles and we got some big asses in the guard and center position, made just to push the line forward a few yards, It may work. 3.5 a carry and we are getting first downs, moving the chains and eating the clock.

It solves the QB/WR problems.:hmmm:

crazycoffey
01-08-2007, 03:54 PM
You know if two or three were converted tackles and we got some big asses in the guard and center position, made just to push the line forward a few yards, It may work. 3.5 a carry and we are getting first downs, moving the chains and eating the clock.

It solves the QB/WR problems.:hmmm:

it also helps with our conference Def. problems, no Champ problem from Denver, and it's gotta be good against the 3-4 chargers/and Oakland

Maybe Sims could be a converted guard, we know he can't get out of anyone's way, let's use it to our advantage.

FringeNC
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Luckily, this Bellichek guy just showed up at One Arrowhead Drive, hat in hand.

Let's talk a minute about Belichick. Both offensive homers like myself and defensive homers like you would probably agree that Belichick is the best coach in football.

To me, he seems the anti-Herm. He's a substance-over-style type of guy that plays to win and has very complicated offensive and defensive schemes.

It simply is next to impossible to win playoff games with a dumbed-down offense. Even if somehow our D was very good next year, it won't matter. Herm's blueprint is for a 10-6 record if everything falls into place during the regular season, and a first round loss in the playoffs.

Jax has more talent than perhaps any team in football, and were just 8-8. I'd contend that it was because of their thuggish, hit-in-the-mouth philosophy and simple schemes. Just doesn't work anymore. Even Marty runs the Air-Coryell offense.