PDA

View Full Version : Will Clark Hunt spend some cash on FA's?

Tuckdaddy
01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Will he shell out the dolla's? Only time will tell.

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
FA's aren't going to fix this team.....the only one I'd be real interested in is Lance Briggs and I highly doubt the Bears let him get away.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't know why much different should be expected as long as CP is calling the shots.

Woodrow Call
01-08-2007, 03:04 PM
OL, DL, and WR are all weak this year so I'm not sure how much help is out there.

Basically the Chiefs need the young guys to step up and have one hell of a draft. IMO this is a 2 yr rebuilding project.

FAX
01-08-2007, 03:04 PM
This has, no doubt, already been discussed and put to rest. But at the risk of duplicating mental effort and keyboard skill, are there any free agent LTs to look forward to this year?

FAX

El Jefe
01-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Not many moves in FA, but I expect to see some, maybe on the OL or DL.

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
The Chiefs will have alot of money to spend this year it will be interesting to see if they spend it.

The cap is going up $7 million dollars to $109 million.

HemiEd
01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
IMO this is a 2 yr rebuilding project.

So we can expect results in year 20?

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
The Chiefs will have alot of money to spend this year it will be interesting to see if they spend it.

The cap is going up $7 million dollars to $109 million.

Yea we're gonna spend it........on a 30 year old TE.

Woodrow Call
01-08-2007, 03:12 PM
So we can expect results in year 20?

08-09. At long last the 20 yr plan will be complete.

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Max Starks, please!

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Yea we're gonna spend it........on a 30 year old TE.

CP has said they will have plenty of money even after signing Tony.

They had some dead money on the cap this year and also Simms and Hicks accounted for over $10+ million this year so cutting them will save us quite a bit.

I think we are in good shape money wise. I just don't think there are many good FA's out there this year.

FAX
01-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Max Starks, please!

Steelers? Available?

FAX

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Steelers? Available?

FAX

He's a free agent. Steelers might resign him though. But if he hits the open market the Chiefs should throw the bank at him.

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
CP has said they will have plenty of money even after signing Tony.

They had some dead money on the cap this year and also Simms and Hicks accounted for over $10+ million this year so cutting them will save us quite a bit.

I think we are in good shape money wise. I just don't think there are many good FA's out there this year.

Personally I'd use the space to make alot of needed cuts then I'd see if Lance Briggs got into the market at all and if he did.....we'd have this conversation "so what do you want......ok you got it"

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
He's a free agent. Steelers might resign him though. But if he hits the open market the Chiefs should throw the bank at him.

Blah I don't like that idea...

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Blah I don't like that idea...

Why not? He's a stud. He'd instantly solve our swinging gate at RT problem. Then we could draft a LT and move Black to guard. PRESTO!

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
We aren't going to be able to draft a LT this year......it's just not going to pan out.

Woodrow Call
01-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Briggs would be awesome. If the Chiefs let Mitchell go I could see CP go after Donnie Edwards to replace him.

Cato June maybe at OLB. He's decent in the Cover 2 but I'm not a big fan of his size or tackling ability.

HemiEd
01-08-2007, 03:22 PM
08-09. At long last the 20 yr plan will be complete.

Wow, and it only seems like a couple of days ago, this team looked like the Ganz/Mackovick/Levy Chiefs!

OnTheWarpath58
01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Why not? He's a stud. He'd instantly solve our swinging gate at RT problem. Then we could draft a LT and move Black to guard. PRESTO!

Isn't Black a UFA now? :shrug:

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Isn't Black a UFA now? :shrug:

Yes...and if they resign him we can laugh about another real great move...

GoHuge
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Gotta do something. The only guys on offense that are signed and you'd could consider building something around are Waters and LJ. I've been hearing alot of talk hear and on sports radio about him being a malcontent headed in the direction of TO. I don't know if that is really true. I think alot of his quotes are a "take it and run with it" type of things rather than him being a real problem guy. Waters is solid but looked like a Spaz on a few plays Saturday. Anything else is going to have to come from free agency or the draft (I include Gonzo in there).

On defense you have DJ, Allen, Hali, Pollard, Page, Mitchell (maybe). Other than that you can throw a match on the whole thing and start over IMO.

Two guys on offense and five on D, and they'd all be lucky to make a Pro Bowl. Just solid starters. What should we call these beginning of the do-over again guys? The lucky or original seven? (insert your cliche).

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
We aren't going to be able to draft a LT this year......it's just not going to pan out.

Why not? Is there some reason we can't move up and grab one?

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Why not? Is there some reason we can't move up and grab one?

Ugh.......we have HOLES everywhere. We are not 1 player away giving up picks for 1 man is not the answer for this team. We need to build a young core of players not have a 1 player draft.

nychief
01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
We need to have a solid draft. We are going to take our lumps in 2007.

HemiEd
01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes...and if they resign him we can laugh about another real great move...

What choice do they have? It is a lose-lose situation by your own admission. NO free agent OL especially LTs. You will have none worth the choice in the draft. If we do draft one they would take a while to develop.

So Mecca what is the solution, you have continued to say every option is the wrong one.

They have a lot time invested in Black, should they let him go?

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:53 PM
What choice do they have? It is a lose-lose situation by your own admission. NO free agent OL especially LTs. You will have none worth the choice in the draft and they would take a while to develop.

So Mecca what is the solution, you have continued to say every option is the wrong one.

They have a lot time invested in Black, should they let him go?

You let him go......you see what happens in the draft if no one falls and nothing is there then you take your lumps for the season at the spot. We did that this year with Black we just do it with another young inexpensive player. Instead of paying Black money, I'd rather go with Will Svitek for a year than pay Black.

dirk digler
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Isn't Svitek considered the future LT of the Chiefs? At least that is what DV thought.

Mecca
01-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Isn't Svitek considered the future LT of the Chiefs? At least that is what DV thought.

Even if he sucks he's the same thing Black was, and he doesn't have a long term new contract so he can be easily replaced.

Guru
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't know why much different should be expected as long as CP is calling the shots.
BINGO :shake:

suds79
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
We need to have a solid draft. We are going to take our lumps in 2007.

Yup. And then after 2007 we must have a great draft with where we'll be picking.

Can't afford to miss on draft picks.

Guru
01-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Yup. And then after 2007 we must have a great draft with where we'll be picking.

Can't afford to miss on draft picks.
With Carl calling the shots, we will miss on the draft pick.

suds79
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
With Carl calling the shots, we will miss on the draft pick.

You know my biggest reason for wanting Carl gone is that he's be the one constant in this era of mediocrity. So it's time for change.

Having said that, I've been pretty happy with our last two 1st round draft picks.

He's taken the guys I want. Which is fun for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I never miss... I thought Ron Dayne was the man way back when.

But the last two years have been pretty good.

Mecca
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
You know my biggest reason for wanting Carl gone is that he's be the one constant in this era of mediocrity. So it's time for change.

Having said that, I've been pretty happy with our last two 1st round draft picks.

He's taken the guys I want. Which is fun for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I never miss... I thought Ron Dayne was the man way back when.

But the last two years have been pretty good.

I still think I could outdraft Carl.....

Our team would look a hell of alot different if I was picking....

suds79
01-08-2007, 04:22 PM

I'm willing to try anything different.

As long as you'd get a 6'5 WR in here you'd have my support.

... That and two starting DTs who combine for 700 lbs and we're good. lol.

Adept Havelock
01-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah. It'd be the only NFL team made up of nothing but USC players. :shake:

Mecca
01-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm willing to try anything different.

As long as you'd get a 6'5 WR in here you'd have my support.

... That and two starting DTs who combine for 700 lbs and we're good. lol.

This is all I'll say....we wouldn't have Larry Johnson, but we'd have Troy Polamalu, John Henderson and Brandon Lloyd.

Mr. Laz
01-08-2007, 05:37 PM
i don't think he'll do anything but continue to let Carl run the team and make him money.

i will be very surprised to see him show any passion for the team.

FringeNC
01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
It seems like New England and Philly, the two model franchises in my opinion, don't sign high-dollar free agents.

If Clark Hunt really wants to win, he won't go out and blow a ton of money on 30something free-agents -- he'll shit-can Carl and Herm.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
This is all I'll say....we wouldn't have Larry Johnson, but we'd have Troy Polamalu, John Henderson and Brandon Lloyd.

We also wouldn't have Jared Allen, Pollard, Hali, or Page.

Personally, We need to think long and hard about trading down in this draft to accumulate more picks. We have so many holes to fill that a #24 pick just won't address. If Levi Brown falls to 24 then I'd be fine with staying there, but other than that, it wouldn't hurt us to trade down for an extra 2nd and 3rd. JMO.

OnTheWarpath58
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
We also wouldn't have Jared Allen, Pollard, Hali, or Page.

Personally, We need to think long and hard about trading down in this draft to accumulate more picks. We have so many holes to fill that a #24 pick just won't address. If Levi Brown falls to 24 then I'd be fine with staying there, but other than that, it wouldn't hurt us to trade down for an extra 2nd and 3rd. JMO.

Especially considering we're short a fourth round pick, AGAIN.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Especially considering we're short a fourth round pick, AGAIN.

From what I've read, this is a really deep draft for LB's. If Mitchell leaves in FA, we'll get a compensatory pick for him. Even a 5th round LB is going to be able to do the same things that Ka-whiff-a does---nothing.

If Brown isn't there, I'd like to see us trade down, accumulate a 2nd and a late third in the process...that would allow us to draft a guy like Doug Free (NIU, RT) at good value. We could also pick up a guy like Steve W. Smif (he ran for city council back in '93 out in Oakland...he also played WR for USC ;) ). Maybe we could get a guy like Justin Harrell in the second as well, especially since he's coming off an injury. Any two of those three picks would fill holes...RT, DT, WR.

Simplex3
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Personally I'd use the space to make alot of needed cuts then I'd see if Lance Briggs got into the market at all and if he did.....we'd have this conversation "so what do you want......ok you got it"
This worked great for the Houston Enrons with Arod.

Mecca
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
This worked great for the Houston Enrons with Arod.

Well within reason......

For the other guy I fully admit if I was picking we likely wouldn't have Allen, Pollard we wouldn't have.....Hali I'll say 50/50 I wasn't a big fan of drafting him and the guy I wanted was gone before our pick I would have taken him or Kiwanuka..and Page who knows that's a scout pick in the 7th.

Brock
01-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Just wanted to say Ted Ginn is fast.