PDA

View Full Version : Will the Chiefs go further next season?

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
This was a poll on kcchiefs.com, I just fixed it.

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
There wasn't a no option.

Ari Chi3fs
01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
There wasn't a no option.

hahahah... ****ing figures.

Ari Chi3fs
01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I so tempted to buy www.runrunpasspunt.com and forward it to KCCHiefs.com

FringeNC
01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm not optimistic...but for those of you who are, I pose a question for you. At which key front office / coaching position are we above the NFL average? GM? Scouting? Head coach? DC? OC? All of them? None of them? I say none of them, and that is precisely why I am not optimistic.

Competitive sports is zero-sum. It's not just that you have to be "good" in some absolute sense, you have to be good relative to your peers. Perhaps Herm Edwards is a fine coach. Perhaps Carl Peterson is a fine GM. But are they in the top 10 in the NFL? If not...

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Here is a line from the Merc, gotta love it:

All year long, Larry Johnson has been dropping subtle and not-so-subtle hints that the Chiefs' offensive game plan needed a lot of help. He should know. Johnson carried the ball 416 times this year, an NFL record. Predictable? It got to the point where he could hear defenders shouting, "My turn to hit Larry!" It got to the point where, in the huddle, the quarterback only had to say "left" or "right" so Larry would know which way to run. It got to the point where Mike Solari wrote down all his plays on the back of business cards.

FAX
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
This tenure may well mirror the Jets'. With the unfortunate exception that the West is pretty darn tough, of course. Oh, and that 2007 schedule thing.

I'm practicing my official Chiefs hangdog posture just in case Herm doesn't live up to his own high expectations.

FAX

HemiEd
01-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Well fortunately the Chiefs get to play the NFC North next year so......................well shit.

BIG_DADDY
01-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Doesn't look like we are very optomistic.

Phobia
01-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Go further?

I just hope they can muster a first down.

TrickyNicky
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Even though I voted for lets see the draft, I really doubt we will go further. Our D may improve a few ranks from 16th overall, but our O is going to fall hard. Shields will retire, (hopefully) we'll have a change at QB, we'll probably have a rookie or underachieving FA at LT, we'll also wait until late in the first day to get a WR who won't see much playing time kind of like Webb, and of course, the playcalling will get even simpler.

It'll take at least 3 home run draft picks, including an immediate impact player at LT much like McNeill was for the Chargers, to have a positive offensive year.

FAX
Go further?

I just hope they can muster a first down.

ROFL

Wasn't it this year that we scored just 1 touchdown in our first 8 quarters of regular season play?

FAX

Simplex3
I so tempted to buy www.runrunpasspunt.com and forward it to KCCHiefs.com
If you buy it I'd like to put the Temporary Team Finder up there.

Mecca
01-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Well fortunately the Chiefs get to play the NFC North next year so......................well shit.

Oh great......the Bears are going to kill whoever our QB is.

KcMizzou
01-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I expect another step or two back before we begin to make progress again.

Unfortunately.

Extra Point
01-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Unfortunately.
:harumph:

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Its an odd year, we will do well.

louie aguiar
01-08-2007, 06:30 PM
With major question marks at the arguably the two most important positions on a football team, QB and LT, I think we can expect the Chiefs to regress next year. The chargers hit the jackpot with McNeal. I doubt we can expect a rookie LT to perform that well. One things for sure, it's a very important offseason for the future of the Chiefs.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
No. I don't see us going to a more predictable offense, Solari and his run-run-pass-punt playcalling, the personel we have, and do better than we did this year.

Herm really needs to listen to his players. From what I read of LJ's comments since the game, not even he wants to be in a Offense that wants to just run the ball. Like him or not, Herm is going to throw a Probowl QB aside who has several years in the tank who can go to another team and have a few more years of productive play. He's also going to give Gonzo more reason to leave and go elsewhere. If the stars of the O aren't happy with what's going on, and our HC isn't willing to listen to them, I have no hope for him fielding an O that can compete in this league.

Our only chance is if he can field a D that can outscore the other team's O. And even when our D was at it's highpoint in the 90s it couldn't do that every game.

Herm, this isn't the cheesecake AFC East where all you have to do is worry about New England, this is the AFC West. You WILL NEED 10-12 W's in most seasons to have a chance and the AFC W Championship. You CANNOT win in the AFC West with an offense that half of the teams in the Big 12 can stop.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Unfortunately.

But how many HC's, systems, and players will we go through before those two steps back are completed?

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Like him or not, Herm is going to throw a Probowl QB aside who has several years in the tank who can go to another team and have a few more years of productive play.

Get over it......Trent may have another season or two of productivity..but hes not going to lead a team to the promised land. I gurantee it. Id bet a years pay on it.

NaptownChief
01-08-2007, 06:52 PM
But how many HC's, systems, and players will we go through before those two steps back are completed?

There will be a handful of excuses....Shields retired, breaking in a new QB, breaking in a different offensive scheme, so and so got injured. Chiefs management and grossly biased homer fans always have an excuse why we fail but for some reason can never find a reason to succeed. They act like injuries, retirements and changes are isssues that are only exclusive to us.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Get over it......Trent may have another season or two of productivity..but hes not going to lead a team to the promised land. I gurantee it. Id bet a years pay on it.

Didn't say he would, it isn't just Trent.

Look, Trent is to the point in age, we move on now or we move on in a few years - honestly, it doesn't really matter at this point. I think he could be serviceable though for several teams around the league if he's gone this off-season (I'll bet Al would try to get Washington to look at him).

With Tony, I hate to think of him ending his career somewhere else. I've read his comments, he hasn't been happy with play-calling either. Some say he's in the decline, others argue he isn't - maybe we are fine without him, maybe it will burn us.

But LJ! LJ's comments after the Indy game were VERY CLEAR. LJ is the future of this team - he's the new star. If he is upset about the way things are going - and he's THE REASON we are in the playoffs in the first place, it really adds to the opinions by the other stars (or former stars if you will).

We should trade LJ. Seriously. Another year or two and he'll void his contract and walk if this keeps up (If he doesn't get hurt first from the wear and tear). We should at least get something for him in return while we can. It's not like he's going to help us much anyway if we get so predictable that everyone knows it's going to LJ and there are only 3 different running plays in the playbook.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
There will be a handful of excuses....Shields retired, breaking in a new QB, breaking in a different offensive scheme, so and so got injured. Chiefs management and grossly biased homer fans always have an excuse why we fail but for some reason can never find a reason to succeed. They act like injuries, retirements and changes are isssues that are only exclusive to us.

The two steps won't be completed until there are only 30,000 fans in the stands - and half of them are wearing the oposing team's colors.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Didn't say he would, it isn't just Trent.

Look, Trent is to the point in age, we move on now or we move on in a few years - honestly, it doesn't really matter at this point. I think he could be serviceable though for several teams around the league if he's gone this off-season (I'll bet Al would try to get Washington to look at him).

No point in hanging on to Trent. We would be better served to get a young guy in there and let him learn on the job. Why are Chiefs fans so afraid to rebuild and take our lumps for a few seasons?? I dont get it??

Its not like the current way of doing business is getting us anywhere???

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
No point in hanging on to Trent. We would be better served to get a young guy in there and let him learn on the job. Why are Chiefs fans so afraid to rebuild and take our lumps for a few seasons?? I dont get it??

Its not like the current way of doing business is getting us anywhere???

At this point I agree on Trent. If we were a player or two away from competing I'd be for holding on to him. Seriously, I can't help but think about this team's chances next year once some attention is given to the OL. But as long as Solari is calling plays off of his half-sheet of paper and Herm is about ball control and kicking FGs instead of scoring TDs there's no point in trying to make a push next year anyway.

Time to completely rebuild.

Extra Point
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Trent Green would make an excellent QB coach for Brody Croyle and Jamarcus Russell.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
At this point I agree on Trent. If we were a player or two away from competing I'd be for holding on to him. Seriously, I can't help but think about this team's chances next year once some attention is given to the OL. But as long as Solari is calling plays off of his half-sheet of paper and Herm is about ball control and kicking FGs instead of scoring TDs there's no point in trying to make a push next year anyway.

Time to completely rebuild.

I agree 100%. Herm actually did a pretty wonderful job with the defense overall outside of the Cleveland game. I expect him to continue to do good work there.

The O-unit needs to be completely overhauled. Id love for them to let Solari go and bring a young hungry guy in here, but Herm has already stated that hes keeping Solari. Hopefully, once they get some new blood on the O-line, Qb and wideout the execution should improve over time.

PastorMikH
01-08-2007, 07:21 PM
The O-unit needs to be completely overhauled. Id love for them to let Solari go and bring a young hungry guy in here, but Herm has already stated that hes keeping Solari. Hopefully, once they get some new blood on the O-line, Qb and wideout the execution should improve over time.

The problem I have with the Offensive overhaul is the fact that Solari and Herm will be doing it. I can see them slapping together a 4 banger, putting it in front of a 3 speed tranny with no passing gear, then press on the throttle like a little old lady that can't see past the hood.

I would LOVE for Clark or Carl step in here (like what [didn't] happen with GRob) and hire someone to take the O like Carl did with Gun and the D under DV (Yeah, I know that was all DV's idea). Then tell Herm to let them build/run the O.

Won't happen, but if it did, it would go a long way to restore my faith in this team's ability to win.

FAX
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM
The problem I have with the Offensive overhaul is the fact that Solari and Herm will be doing it. ...

Amen, Mr. PastorMikH.

FAX

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I would LOVE for Clark or Carl step in here (like what [didn't] happen with GRob) and hire someone to take the O like Carl did with Gun and the D under DV (Yeah, I know that was all DV's idea). Then tell Herm to let them build/run the O.

Won't happen, but if it did, it would go a long way to restore my faith in this team's ability to win.

Yep, i would love to see that happen as well. Herm would probably be better served if he would be willing to bend some, bring in an offensive guru and give him 100% control of the offense.

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Duh.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3381/chrisduguay792520camarocn0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BIG_DADDY
01-09-2007, 01:37 PM
No. I don't see us going to a more predictable offense, Solari and his run-run-pass-punt playcalling, the personel we have, and do better than we did this year.

Herm really needs to listen to his players. From what I read of LJ's comments since the game, not even he wants to be in a Offense that wants to just run the ball. Like him or not, Herm is going to throw a Probowl QB aside who has several years in the tank who can go to another team and have a few more years of productive play. He's also going to give Gonzo more reason to leave and go elsewhere. If the stars of the O aren't happy with what's going on, and our HC isn't willing to listen to them, I have no hope for him fielding an O that can compete in this league.

Our only chance is if he can field a D that can outscore the other team's O. And even when our D was at it's highpoint in the 90s it couldn't do that every game.

Herm, this isn't the cheesecake AFC East where all you have to do is worry about New England, this is the AFC West. You WILL NEED 10-12 W's in most seasons to have a chance and the AFC W Championship. You CANNOT win in the AFC West with an offense that half of the teams in the Big 12 can stop.

Good take pastor. :thumb:

It looks like www.kcchiefs.com should have had a no option available. LMAO

Logical
01-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes that poll on the site for the Chiefs was annoying, this is much more realistic.

Drunk
01-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Nice to see everyone so optomistic around here.

jAZ
01-09-2007, 04:53 PM
We've already taken our big step back on offense. And our defense is only going to improve. We will do the same or better (our record... no accounting for what it takes to get into the playoffs).

jAZ
01-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Nice to see everyone so optomistic around here.
I've grown to hate this place in the last few days. There's so much stupid-talk around here. I can't believe so many people are trying to throw Trent Green under the bus. I see people wanting to get rid of Larry Johnson. How fuggin stupid does this place have to get before we just burn down the whole thing?

chiefsfan1963
01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
doubtful. O will take a long time before it will come back to its former self, perhaps not until we get a new HC. Defense will improve though so that will make most of the people on this board happy. It will continue to be a very boring next 2 seasons.

crazycoffey
01-09-2007, 07:03 PM
The O wont be the former self again

BUT it's not such a long haul, LJ contract and just three upgrades on the line, then we will show improvement.

Thig Lyfe
01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
It has to get worse for it to get better. I'm sick of Carl putting a Band-Aid on a leper and calling himself Jesus. It's time for an overhaul.

Calcountry
01-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Herm, this isn't the cheesecake AFC East where all you have to do is worry about New England, this is the AFC West. You WILL NEED 10-12 W's in most seasons to have a chance and the AFC W Championship. You CANNOT win in the AFC West with an offense that half of the teams in the Big 12 can stop.Perhaps LJ can learn to pass block and catch passess better than he did this year? :shrug:

Calcountry
01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Get over it......Trent may have another season or two of productivity..but hes not going to lead a team to the promised land. I gurantee it. Id bet a years pay on it.I'll bet next years Sunday Ticket on it.

FAX
01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Perhaps LJ can learn to pass block and catch passess better than he did this year? :shrug:

That's a repper.

Thanks for speaking truthiness, Mr. bunnytrdr.

FAX

ROYC75
01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
No and Yes ...........

Go further than 1st round of the playoffs ? NO

Go further down the toilet ? YES.

BIG_DADDY
01-18-2007, 02:25 PM

greg63
01-18-2007, 02:30 PM

Didn't see this. Sorry about that.

Redrum_69
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Both yours and greg63's polls lack the GAZ option...so I didnt vote :/

BIG_DADDY
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM

Gaz wasn't an option because he was too busy sticking your mother to the floor with the ol jizzmatic spew.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I voted "let's see the draft" but I honestly don't care. If Croyle manages to win the starting job, I'll be happy regardless of record.

I want to see a concerted effort to get YOUNGER, both through the draft and free agency (I thought last offseason was one of our best in a long, long time).

Redrum_69
01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Gaz wasn't an option because he was too busy sticking your mother to the floor with the ol jizzmatic spew.

Such a brutal thing to say

BIG_DADDY
01-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Such a brutal thing to say

You should ask him for the video but then again I'm sure it's nothing you haven't seen many times before.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I just hope we get younger. I know we won't make the playoffs, but hopefully we'll get a good draft pick to build towards something greater than mediocrity.

Honestly, I don't think we're going to succeed and contend for a Super Bowl win, with Herm Edwards and Carl in charge. I think we'll have to wait until we clean house and hopefully the new GM will hire better.

greg63
01-18-2007, 03:53 PM

An excellent point sir; I can't believe that I overlooked it. :doh!:

the Talking Can
01-18-2007, 04:04 PM
next will be a total disaster....CP refuses to rebuild...

we're due for a 6-10 season...

if we resign Black....arrggggghhhhhhh

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 04:19 PM
LJ should get 500 carries this year-all right up the middle. Sounds "Simple" enough.

HonestChieffan
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
My expectations are low so I hope to be pleasantly rewarded.

Guru
01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
That poll was laughable. "I hope so" ? WTF?

stevieray
01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
too soon to know.

boogblaster
01-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Im with stevie..way to soon to tell..hope they get some young speed in the WR, LB, ST sides..DT needed the most, followed by OT..QB is a crap-shoot, Green could comeback and play like a all-pro, or maybe he's done, if so give the Kid or whoever is traded for a shot..doubt they keep Huard..

Ultra Peanut
01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Probably not.

Probably never.

greg63
01-20-2007, 06:12 PM
That poll was laughable. "I hope so" ? WTF?

Yeah; whoever came up with it is obviously and idiot.

Direckshun
01-20-2007, 07:26 PM
This poll is why, for all the entertainment is provides, ChiefsPlanet sucks.

"No"? Before free agency? Before the draft?

At least four future HOFers decorate this team, plus two qualified quarterbacks that we don't know what to do with, plus what Edwards has already previewed to be an aggressive offseason for a new OL, Dline middle, and receiving corps?

I'm not saying the Chiefs are going to win the SB, but "no"?

That's what years and years of watching professional football has taught you idiot morons? The Saints were 4 and 68 last season. Now they're in the goddamned NFC championship.

You guys have got to do something as complex as separating your emotions from your common sense, or something as simple as pulling your head out of your ass.

To say the Chiefs have no chance, NO chance, of doing better than this season may be the trendy thing to do, but it's pretty damn stupid.

FAX
01-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Your words of iron have the ring of an empty Coors bottle smacked against a brand new strap on, Mr. Direckshun.

FAX

milkman
01-20-2007, 07:52 PM

If you think the planet sucks, then go the **** away.

[QUOTE]At least four future HOFers decorate this team, plus two qualified quarterbacks that we don't know what to do with, plus what Edwards has already previewed to be an aggressive offseason for a new OL, Dline middle, and receiving corps?

Herman ****ing Edwards says a lot of shit, and so far, I haven't seen him follow through with any of it.

That's what years and years of watching professional football has taught you idiot morons? The Saints were 4 and 68 last season. Now they're in the goddamned NFC championship.

Four words.

Sean Payton
Herman ****ing Edwards.

OK, that was five.

You guys have got to do something as complex as separating your emotions from your common sense, or something as simple as pulling your head out of your ass.

To say the Chiefs have no chance, NO chance, of doing better than this season may be the trendy thing to do, but it's pretty damn stupid.

My emotions lead me to get excited about offseason moves and the upcoming seasons.
My common sense tells me to ignore those emotions, because Carl will never build anything more than a mediocre team.

I should listen to my common sense more.

the Talking Can
01-20-2007, 08:25 PM

news flash, moron....the Saints had the 2nd pick in the draft....and lucked into Bush....we're ALWAYS drafting 15-25...and they signed a young pro-bowl QB...something we aren't going to do next year

the Saints are the perfect example of why WE NEED TO LOSE AND GET A TOP 5 PICK (in every round)....rebuild this steaming piece of shit

Play Croyle, lose, lose, lose....then take a shot at a franchse LT or DT or WR with a top 5 pick....then get ready to roll in 2008...Saints Style

solid D
top 5 DT/LT/WR...top 5 second round pick
LJ
Croyle in second season

but we won't do that...cause CP knows that suckers like you are out there

milkman
01-20-2007, 08:42 PM
news flash, moron....the Saints had the 2nd pick in the draft....and lucked into Bush....we're ALWAYS drafting 15-25...and they signed a young pro-bowl QB...something we aren't going to do next year

the Saints are the perfect example of why WE NEED TO LOSE AND GET A TOP 5 PICK (in every round)....rebuild this steaming piece of shit

Play Croyle, lose, lose, lose....then take a shot at a franchse LT or DT or WR with a top 5 pick....then get ready to roll in 2008...Saints Style

solid D
LJ
Croyle in second season

Quoted for truth.

And rep.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-20-2007, 09:17 PM

solid D
LJ
Croyle in second season

Couldn't have said it better myself. REP

greg63
01-21-2007, 03:16 AM

At least four future HOFers decorate this team, plus two qualified quarterbacks that we don't know what to do with, plus what Edwards has already previewed to be an aggressive offseason for a new OL, Dline middle, and receiving corps?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I love this thread.

greg63
01-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Your words of iron have the ring of an empty Coors bottle smacked against a brand new strap on, Mr. Direckshun.

FAX

LMAO :thumb: