PDA

View Full Version : Start Croyle in 07!

Tuckdaddy
01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
We have a coached signed up several years to build the team. We have not had a young QB that we drafted in how long?

Give the kid a chance

penguinz
01-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Yep

FAX
01-08-2007, 07:39 PM
If he wins the position in the off-season, I'm all for it.

FAX

chop
01-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I would give him a chance to compete for the starting job. I don't think you should just hand it over to him before he earns it.

Simplex3
01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Watch it or LiarChiefsFan will come bye and tell you to shut up.

Deberg_1990
01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Exactly....i fully expect Herm to give him a chance to earn the position is camp. If he earns it, then hell yea, id be all for it.

Count Zarth
01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm glad there are some people open to this. It seemed like half this board was ready to give up on him during the season.

SNR
01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
He has to earn the right to start in camp. I don't want to see another Ryan Leaf/Cade McNown/Quincy Carter just "waiting until he develops with experience."

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 07:48 PM
I thought we were running the 5 TE direct snap to LJ offense in '07...

:shrug:

Tuckdaddy
01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
You don't develope without playing time. Herm should give this a long look in camp with the first string and the first string in pre-season.

Shanny has done it with Cutler, then thers's Romo and Rivers as well. It's not unthinkable

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
You don't develope without playing time. Herm should give this a long look in camp with the first string and the first string in pre-season.

Shanny has done it with Cutler, then thers's Romo and Rivers as well. It's not unthinkable

Don't forget Leinart in AZ and the kid from Auburn in Washington.

FAX
01-08-2007, 07:53 PM

It makes even more sense with our brand spanking new simplified offense, too, Mr. Tuckdaddy.

All he has to do is hand off and avoid the fumble when he's sacked on passing downs.

FAX

chop
01-08-2007, 07:56 PM
I want him to earn the job but I guess a case could be made to have him be the front runner for the job and make the older guys clearly outplay him before they get the job.

Priest4Prez
01-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Boys, we should have started Croyle instead of Huard when Green went down. Finally somebody else is on the Croyle bangwagon with me.

SLAG
01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
huard came in and did great this year but since we blew it in the post season.... hind sight says we should have started croyle then.. in week 2 at denver... Baptism by fire as they say..

* He would have gained valuable real time playing experience

* we may have lost more games but then in turn gotten a better draft pick

Tuckdaddy
01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I really think we should do this. Only Balt and Philly have old ass QB's in the playoffs. We need this change.

Simplex3
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Don't forget Leinart in AZ and the kid from Auburn in Washington.
...and VY.

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I really think we should do this. Only Balt and Philly have old ass QB's in the playoffs. We need this change.

Philly doesn't count. Garcia is in there because McNabb got hurt. Just don't forget Herm was still starting Vinny when he was 92 years old in NY.

Simplex3
It makes even more sense with our brand spanking new simplified offense, too, Mr. Tuckdaddy.

All he has to do is hand off and avoid the fumble when he's sacked on 3rd downs.

FAX
fyp

KCJohnny
...and VY.

Ah, yes, Good one.
:toast:

FAX
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Brodie is still a project. Throwing him into a bunch of exploding monkeys is not the right way to get his career going.

He needs to try and win the job in camp.

FAX

crazycoffey
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
should have had a poll

yes, if he has potential, let's see how he acts when the heat is on

DaneMcCloud
01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Unless this team has major upgrades at both tackle positions and wide receiver, it would be foolish to rush Croyle's development.

He was NOT a first round pick; he wasn't in the top 10 or even the top 32. He was a third round choice who played well in college WHEN HEALTHY.

This guy would have gotten killed behind the line the past year. Unless serious changes are made, 2008 should be the target year for Croyle, IMO. He's fragile to begin with - why ruin his chance for becoming something special by being impatient?

jspchief
01-08-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm all for giving Croyle a serious look for the '07 season. With a simplified passing offense, the one year on the bench may have been enough. Hopefully he built some chemistry with Webb and we can get a QB and a WR out of the deal.

As for him being fragile, we might as well find out if he's tough enough to handle the NFL. What are saving him for? The day when we have an impenetrable O-line?

This team has no good reason to not take a few chances next year with players.

CanadaKC
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Dream=he turns out to be the next Steve McNair
Reality=he turns out to be the next Steve Grogan

Woodrow Call
01-08-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm all for giving Croyle a serious look for the '07 season. With a simplified passing offense, the one year on the bench may have been enough. Hopefully he built some chemistry with Webb and we can get a QB and a WR out of the deal.

In between INTs at Pitt, I thought the Croyle to Webb combo worked pretty well.

3 rec 23 yrd in limited action.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 08:55 PM
I would rather see a Croyle to Jarrett combo.

Woodrow Call
01-08-2007, 09:00 PM
:)

Taco John
01-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Not that it matters...

But I think you guys would be stupid to start Croyle in '07. I don't believe he'll be mentally or physically ready by that time. I think he's a two year developmental prospect (ie. ready in his third season), hence the fact he was drafted in the third round.

Croyle might be mentally ready (thought that's doubtful), but he's nowhere close to being physically ready for the NFL rigors. The guy is already a known injury concern. He needs time to fill out his frame in the weight room. I wouldn't even dream of putting him in until after two full years of that kind of development, along with a lot of film study and time on the scouting squad.

I think the kid has a dangerous arm, and the potential to be a solid quarterback in this league if he's handled right. I also think he has the potential to be a big disappointment if he's pushed into something too fast.

Personally, I like the kid and hope he gets time to develop before being thrown into a situation out of needless desperation. I seriously doubt that'll happen, so I'm not too worried for his sake. Herm isn't going to overlook the fact that he's got both Trent Green and Damon Huard in front of the young Croyle.

SLQ
01-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Once again we see that Taco Johnny doesn't know what he is talking about. The broncos must be afraid of Croyle.

Also, could one of the mods get the dead guy off of the guys signature?

That is extremely poor taste to put that on the net.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Not that it matters...

But I think you guys would be stupid to start Croyle in '07. I don't believe he'll be mentally or physically ready by that time. I think he's a two year developmental prospect (ie. ready in his third season), hence the fact he was drafted in the third round.

Croyle might be mentally ready (thought that's doubtful), but he's nowhere close to being physically ready for the NFL rigors. The guy is already a known injury concern. He needs time to fill out his frame in the weight room. I wouldn't even dream of putting him in until after two full years of that kind of development, along with a lot of film study and time on the scouting squad.

I think the kid has a dangerous arm, and the potential to be a solid quarterback in this league if he's handled right. I also think he has the potential to be a big disappointment if he's pushed into something too fast.

Personally, I like the kid and hope he gets time to develop before being thrown into a situation out of needless desperation. I seriously doubt that'll happen, so I'm not too worried for his sake. Herm isn't going to overlook the fact that he's got both Trent Green and Damon Huard in front of the young Croyle.

Pains me to say it but I agree with Taco 100% on this. Croyle needs one more year.

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2007, 09:06 PM

I kinda like the sound of that.

SLQ
01-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Pains me to say it but I agree with Taco 100% on this. Croyle needs one more year.

I don't agree with him, he isn't in the loop other than in denver.

Croyle could be the next Joe Namath, or he could be the next Todd Blackledge. The only way to find out is to put him in the fire and see if he can make the grade. If he doesn't you know early enough to bring in whoever you sign to take Trents place if he retires like a large number of fans want.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 09:12 PM

Croyle could be the next Joe Namath, or he could be the next Todd Blackledge. The only way to find out is to put him in the fire and see if he can make the grade. If he doesn't you know early enough to bring in whoever you sign to take Trents place if he retires like a large number of fans want.

I hate Taco as much as anyone, but that is truth about Croyle. It was exactly what was said about him coming out of college.

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Croyle could be the next Joe Namath, or he could be the next Todd Blackledge.

Are you saying he'll suck no matter what?

SNR
01-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Not that it matters...

Personally, I like the kid and hope he gets time to develop before being thrown into a situation out of needless desperation. I seriously doubt that'll happen, so I'm not too worried for his sake. Herm isn't going to overlook the fact that he's got both Trent Green and Damon Huard in front of the young Croyle.Agreed. We'll see what training camp holds for him and if he's gotten comfortable with the game speed.

Skip Towne
01-08-2007, 09:18 PM

As for him being fragile, we might as well find out if he's tough enough to handle the NFL. What are saving him for? The day when we have an impenetrable O-line?

This team has no good reason to not take a few chances next year with players.
This guy looks more like Joe Namath than Joe Namath does. (both from Alabama) And Namath was hurt all of the time. He needs to beef up or he will be injured all the time like Namath was.

cdcox
01-08-2007, 09:22 PM

Romo and Rivers fermented like fine wine for a couple years on the bench before they were given the keys. I'd like to see a little better line before I risk the psyche of a young promising QB.

htismaqe
01-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Look at him standing there. He's the same size as Trent.

cdcox
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM

I still suspect Blackledge's biggest problem was coaching. He would lock on to a reciever and stare him down. I can't believe that good coaching could not have fixed that. I don't think Blackledge was a bad QB, I think he was a good prospect that wasn't developed correctly. And that is my fear wity Croyle.

ChiefsCountry
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM

Height wise yes, weight no. Trent outweighs him by 12 to 15 pounds.

KC2004
01-08-2007, 09:36 PM

And im almost betting he can throw a INT or get sacked just like Trent! But you have to remember that if the O-line sucks we are screwed. Joe Montana would of sucked bad if his O-Line sucked. Not trying to give Trent a break but damn.

Skip Towne
01-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I still suspect Blackledge's biggest problem was coaching. He would lock on to a reciever and stare him down. I can't believe that good coaching could not have fixed that. I don't think Blackledge was a bad QB, I think he was a good prospect that wasn't developed correctly. And that is my fear wity Croyle.
I don't remember it that way. Blackledge was a turd from the word go. His greatest claim to fame was handing off to Curt Warner and getting the hell out of the way. We could have had Marino instead of that turd. He was still on the board.

KCJohnny
01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Not that it matters...

Croyle might be mentally ready (thought that's doubtful), but he's nowhere close to being physically ready for the NFL rigors. The guy is already a known injury concern. He needs time to fill out his frame in the weight room.

He's bigger than Joe Montana, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton and Drew Brees.

Sure-Oz
01-08-2007, 09:43 PM
He needs another year on the bench and learning. Hopefully he will bulk up a bit more. No way, you throw him in the fire this fast. QBOTF give him 1 more year.

Taco John
01-08-2007, 10:00 PM
He's bigger than Joe Montana, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton and Drew Brees.

Ok. Fine. He's the next Joe Montana. You guys should start him next year.

I'm sure it's right at the top of Herm's agenda.

SLQ
01-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Hey moron, get the dead guy off this board! Put him up on your website.

He's dead man, your are one morbid mf.

KurtCobain
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Hey moron, get the dead guy off this board! Put him up on your website.

He's dead man, your are one morbid mf.

you suck

SLQ
01-08-2007, 10:21 PM
you suck

You are just as stupid as the other guy. This is not the place to put pictures of dead people in a casket.

I do look forward to seein your picture here!

You're a moron!

KurtCobain
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
You are just as stupid as the other guy. This is not the place to put pictures of dead people in a casket.

You're a moron!

ban this bitch

SLQ
01-08-2007, 10:35 PM
ban this bitch

If you feel it's an honorable thing to show someone's dead body you should be honored. What's your problem? It's ok to show others but not you?

Taco John
01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I don't remember it that way. Blackledge was a turd from the word go. His greatest claim to fame was handing off to Curt Warner and getting the hell out of the way. We could have had Marino instead of that turd. He was still on the board.

Could you imagine the AFC West with Elway, Marino, Fouts, Largent, and, um... Jay Shroeder? Er, Jeff Hostetler?

Man the Raiders suck...

RedThat
01-09-2007, 12:57 AM
I got a better idea? Re-sign, and start Damon Huard for the 2007 season.

He was the answer this year.

*Not a good idea to rush Croyle in there. if we're gonna simplify the offense, then Huard is prolly our best bet.

J Diddy
01-09-2007, 02:48 AM
I got a better idea? Re-sign, and start Damon Huard for the 2007 season.

He was the answer this year.

*Not a good idea to rush Croyle in there. if we're gonna simplify the offense, then Huard is prolly our best bet.

huard's gonna want to much, I think green's still the answer

Tuckdaddy
01-09-2007, 06:28 AM

Cutler didn't sit on the bench? But we should help our young QB by keeping him there?

Warrior5
01-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Brodie is still a project. Throwing him into a bunch of exploding monkeys is not the right way to get his career going.

He needs to try and win the job in camp.

FAX

'Zactly. He has to earn the starting position. Besides, he need a haircut.

The "exploding monkeys" visual ain't bad either, FAX.

HonestChieffan
01-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Insanity until someone sees if the kid can do anything. Lets wait till camp then see who is best.

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Cutler didn't sit on the bench? But we should help our young QB by keeping him there?

Cutler was more ready to go than Croyle. How hard is this concept for some people?

wilas101
01-09-2007, 07:29 AM

You're a moron!

ok... I generally sit here reading and staying out of the day to day drama that makes this place the sparkling jewel of message boards that it is but I have to agree with the sentiment that this guy is a dipsh*t.

I don't have 50 gajillion posts but I've been here long enough to know that you CAN'T know whats right or wrong for this place by lurking since October.

To me this place is what happens if I group of nuns would open a crack house in a VFW hall. Who could ever know whats right or wrong for it?

Don't like pictures of dead people? Turn the sigs off, Einstein.

HonestChieffan
01-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Turn of all sigs cause one person has no common sense. Stupid.

Mods need to click the sicko and make sure it doesnt come back.

wilas101
01-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Don't turn off all sigs for everyone. He (SLQ) can turn off his sigs so he doesn't have to see it if it offends him that much.

jspchief
01-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Personally I think that photo is in poor taste as well.

First off I think it's completely tasteless to take a photograph of a dead person at their funeral. Who does that? Then they have the audacity to put it on the internet? Using it as a sig is just plain strange, and IMO comes closer to making the funeral a circus than it shows respect for the deceased.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Philly doesn't count. Garcia is in there because McNabb got hurt. Just don't forget Herm was still starting Vinny when he was 92 years old in NY.

dont be surprised if you see Vinny in KC in the near future as the starting QB

Chiefs_Fan
01-09-2007, 08:25 AM
I was on the "stay with Trent" side of the argument before the playoffs. But now I think you open up the compitition at training camp and see what happends.

May the best QB win!

wilas101
01-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Don't get me wrong here... I'm not saying that it isn't in poor taste or just plain friggin weird. Just saying that there are options available to those it bothers.

crazycoffey
01-09-2007, 08:48 AM
I was on the "stay with Trent" side of the argument before the playoffs. But now I think you open up the compitition at training camp and see what happends.

May the best QB win!

To an extent, IMO.

If Brodie is very close, got the o down, throwing accurate, but seems to be missing alittle during training camp, throw him in the fire. I know it could burn him but it could also forge him. I am of the opinion that we go for it early while we still have Trent or Huard as his backup. give him a few games (or the whole season even. If it goes badly we get a good draft pick in 08, if it goes well, we have enough talent to make a run. Provided, of course that this offseason is devoted to the O-line), let's see what we have. Is he capable of being a QB of the future or a backup forever.

However, if he can't hold a candle to trent, then all bets are off.

KCJohnny
01-09-2007, 11:44 AM
dont be surprised if you see Vinny in KC in the near future as the starting QB

Stop it! You're scaring the children!!!!
:mad:

Hydrae
01-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Hehe, you do realize that Vinny is the backup in NE this year, right? It's not just Herm.

KCJohnny
01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
There is a decidely strong trend in going with young QBs: Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart, Phillip Rivers, the Fins, the Skins, etc... all replaced vets with young QBs this year. Croyle may be the deal...

cjp27
01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I'd be all for opening up the competition in training camp to see if Croyle can win the job. In all reality he's probably another year away.

While we're at it, I think it'd be a great idea to open up the competition for head coach to see if Herm can win the job.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Who will be the Chiefs starting QB next season?

I didn't want to start another thread.

Manila-Chief
01-10-2007, 11:12 PM
And im almost betting he can throw a INT or get sacked just like Trent! But you have to remember that if the O-line sucks we are screwed. Joe Montana would of sucked bad if his O-Line sucked. Not trying to give Trent a break but damn.

I keep hearing this stuff about our O-Line ... Huard played well behind the same line and went 5-3. Most of us believe he would have won more games than Trent did.

Since Herm is dumbing down the O, I say go into camp with Croyle practicing with the first unit to see what he can do. He can't learn any younger. Tenn, Denver, Ariz will all be better next year because they allowed their 1st. year QB to get some valuable experience this year. None of us (nor the coaching staff) knows if he will be a winner or not.

I like what he did at Bama ... I mean the way it was reported that he found a way to win. IIRC he fell to the 3rd. round because of injury questions not because of his QB ability. Therefore, if he is healthy he should play like a 2nd. or 1st. round pick. I think he has the intangibles of a winner and if he does ... give him the experience. It's not likely Herm will lead us to the S.B. next year anyway. He will be ready in a couple of years when we fans run Herm out of town.

If Trent comes back, he would be in the wings in case Croyle doesn't pan out. I think Huard will do better running Herm's new special offense, but he is a FA and if CP/Herm believes Croyle is the QBOF then they will not pay him starters pay ... therefore, Trent is signed

Manila-Chief
01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
While we're at it, I think it'd be a great idea to open up the competition for head coach to see if Herm can win the job.

This is really funny ... oh, wait!!!! There is too much truth to it ... back to reality!!!!

KcMizzou
01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
There is a decidely strong trend in going with young QBs: Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart, Phillip Rivers, the Fins, the Skins, etc... all replaced vets with young QBs this year. Croyle may be the deal...Based on what?

Trends? That means jack shit.. if Croyle's going to be a good NFL QB, he's probably going to need some time.