PDA

View Full Version : Envious of Charger fans.

chiefsfan1963
01-09-2007, 07:12 PM
It's ironic that the most exciting team in the NFL is coached by Marty.

Fully loaded on both sides of the ball. It's amazing what a great GM and HC can do when they do their jobs well.

After witnessing one of the most embarrassing performance by an NFL Offense in a long time and knowing that it will probably be 3 to 5 years if we're lucky before we will ever see an O as good as when DV and AS were here, I'm pretty envious what the Chargers have right now.

To get someone like A.J. Smith as our GM to replace CP would really shake things up in KC much like it did when he arrived in SD a few years ago.

It's only when we get new blood in the front office that things will change around here.

Reerun_KC
01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Someday, Someday we will be that lucky...

Until then, we are stuck with Herm and Carl....

god it sucks to be a Chiefs fan and the laughingstock of the NFL....

Skip Towne
01-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Totally agree. Where did AJ Smith come from? What was he doing before the Chargers?

louie aguiar
01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
The Chargers seem to have good young talent at virtually every position. They could be a contender for a while.

chiefsfan1963
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Totally agree. Where did AJ Smith come from? What was he doing before the Chargers?

I don't know, but if Butler had not died of cancer he would have never had the opportunity he did to come to SD. It's not just picking talent it's the way he handles Marty that I'm impressed with. He's able to get the best out of him albeit it is not a very warm relationship, but Marty will have him to thank if he finally wins it all.

Smith would kick Herm's ass, and I believe make him a better HC in the process. If not he would be shown the door.

Marty doesn't win this Sunday I won't be surprised if he will be fired. He may be fired if he doesn't get to the SB. Smith does not f**k around he wants it bad. He wants a lot of rings. The eye of the tiger!

chiefsfan1963
01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Here's some interesting info on him:

A.J. Smith (born February 28, 1949) is an American professional football executive, currently serving as the Executive Vice President and General Manager of the San Diego Chargers.

Smith was a part-time scout, full-time scout, assistant director of scouting, director of scouting and assistant general manager before being promoted to his current position with the Chargers.

A.J. Smith is a graduate of Bishop Hendricken High School in Warwick, Rhode Island where he was a standout on the basketball and |track teams. He was inducted into the school's Hall of Fame in 2003.

Smith earned a degree in health and physical education from Kentucky Wesleyan College in 1971. In 2005 Smith returned in order to attend a dedication in his honor, during which he received a plaque of commemoration which will be placed in the new A.J. Smith Weight Room inside the Woodward Health and Recreation Center.

After graduating from college, Smith began his career in semi-professional football with the Attleboro Kings of the Eastern Football League as a wide receiver from 1972-1974. Smith was given a tryout with the Washington Redskins in 1974, but was never offered a professional contract. Smith was eventually inducted into the American Football Association's Minor/ Semi-Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1990.

Smith put his college degree to work between 1971-1985, during which he taught physical education in the Providence (R.I.) junior high school system.

Career

A.J. Smith began his career in football management as assistant coach at Cranston West High School in Cranston, Rhode Island from 1971-76. In 1976 he returned to the Eastern Football League and served as an assistant coach for the Rhode Island Kings, and in 1978 served as an assistant coach at the University of Rhode Island.

Smith officially began working in pro football in 1977 when he began serving as a part-time scout for the New York Giants (1977), New England Patriots(1978-1980), and Houston Oilers (1981).

From 1982-1984, Smith began scouting outside of the NFL and became a scout for the USFL (United States Football League) with the Chicago Blitz (1982-1983) and the Pittsburgh Maulers (1984).

In 1985, Smith began his first stint with the San Diego Chargers while serving as Pro Personnel Director until 1986. In 1987, he began his 14-year tenure with the Buffalo Bills, in which he served as area scout (1987-1988), Assistant Director of College Scouting (1989-1992), Director of Pro Personnel (1993-2000). His time with the Bills was spent within the organizations "Glory Years" when they reached Super Bowl XXV, XXVI, XXVII, and XXXVIII.

Present

A.J. Smith currently resides as Executive Vice President and General Manager of the San Diego Chargers. He began his second tenure with the Chargers on April 22, 2003, 11 days after close friend and longtime associate John Butler died of lung cancer. Chargers President Dean Spanos would give A.J. Smith control over the team as a result.

Smith was named Executive of the Year in 2004 by CBS Sportsline.com after the Chargers reciprocated the previous year's record of 4-12 and went 12-4 on the way to an AFC West title. In 2005, the Chargers went 9-7 yet failed to make the playoffs and were criticized for their inability to win close games early in the season. However, first round pick Shawne Merriman was named Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year and was considered as a successful acquisition by Smith.

Reputation and Management

A.J. Smith has been criticized by fans and media for his hardball approach in the handling of uncooperative players as well as his high-risk/high-reward strategies.

2004 Draft

In April, 2004 a week prior to the NFL Draft (in which the Chargers held the #1 Overall pick), University of Mississippi quarterback Eli Manning declared he would not play for the Chargers if drafted by them. Smith elected to forego Manning's threats and select him #1 without straying from his objective. Moments later, Smith completed a trade with the New York Giants which sent Manning to New York in exchange for North Carolina State University quarterback Philip Rivers (drafted 4th overall), as well as a 3rd-round pick in 2004, a 1st round pick in 2005, and a 5th round pick in 2005. Many were astounded that Smith was able to receive so much for Manning and the Giants were questioned for their trading away of a first round pick. A year later, the Chargers used the first round pick acquired from the giants to select Shawne Merriman 12th overall. Merriman went on to win the AP's NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Award.

Antonio Gates

Tight end Antonio Gates was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2003 and had emerged as an All-Pro tight end in 2004 while leading the Chargers to a 12-4 record. Prior to the 2005 season, Gates held out of training camp, seeking a long-term contract. Smith would eventually give Gates an ultimatum; end the hold out by 12:30 PM on August 20, or be placed on the Roster Exempt List. Gates failed to meet the deadline and as a result missed the team's first regular season game against the Dallas Cowboys which resulted in a 28-24 loss. Gates and Smith would eventually reach an accord and Gates was signed to a 6-year, $24 million contract.

Drew Brees

Quarterback Drew Brees suffered a torn labrum in the final game of the 2005 season against the Denver Broncos which immediately resulted in the reconsidering of signing Brees to a long-term contract. Many assumed the Chargers would offer Brees the franchise tag for the second consecutive year. However, with second-year quarterback Philip Rivers on the team, Smith elected to offer Brees a heavily incentive-based contract which Brees rejected. Subsequently, Smith allowed Brees to become a free agent much to the dismay of Charger fans who had considered Brees a fan favorite due to his work ethic and comeback story. Brees would eventually sign a 6-year, 60 million dollar deal with the New Orleans Saints on March 14, 2006. Many claimed Smith had betrayed Brees due to the lack of sufficient guaranteed money offered in Brees' contract.

Family

A.J. Smith currently resides in Sorrento Valley along with his wife Susan. A.J.'s son, Kyle, played wide receiver and punt returner for Youngstown State where he ranks 20th in school history with 1,054 yards on 64 career catches and was All-Gateway Conference honorable mention choice and the team's offensive MVP. Kyle was signed as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Vikings after the 2006 NFL Draft. Daughter Andrea graduated cum laude from Cortland State and currently serves as community relations coordinator for the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA.

Skip Towne
01-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't know, but if Butler had not died of cancer he would have never had the opportunity he did to come to SD. It's not just picking talent it's the way he handles Marty that I'm impressed with. He's able to get the best out of him albeit it is not a very warm relationship, but Marty will have him to thank if he finally wins it all.

Smith would kick Herm's ass, and I believe make him a better HC in the process. If not he would be shown the door.

Marty doesn't win this Sunday I won't be surprised if he will be fired. He may be fired if he doesn't get to the SB. Smith does not f**k around he wants it bad. He wants a lot of rings. The eye of the tiger!
I doubt they fire Marty whether he wins or not. They have spent too much time in the cellar. Plus they were about to be run out of town before Marty showed up.

Iowanian
01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Their bandwagon is now boarding.

buh bye.

chiefsfan1963
01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I doubt they fire Marty whether he wins or not. They have spent too much time in the cellar. Plus they were about to be run out of town before Marty showed up.

you would think, but the talk around town appears to be the opposite.
anyway I took the liberty of learning about the guy after you asked, he certainly paid his dues, and has truly learned a lot in the process.

It certainly shows this year. Enjoy.

chiefsfan1963
01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Their bandwagon is now boarding.

buh bye.

Unfortunately I'm a true fan as you can tell by my user name. I have to sweat it out like the rest of us.

Adept Havelock
01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
god it sucks to be a Chiefs fan and the laughingstock of the NFL....

No, that particular honor belongs to the Detroit Lions.

Buck
01-09-2007, 07:43 PM
AJ Smith actually came over here with John Butler, and Butler knew he was in declining health and he was training A.J. Smith to be the GM when he could no longer assume his role as GM.

Basically, I would say that AJ, and John Butler have turned us around by making Picks and Signing Free Agents that make since. Teams like the Redskins, have done the exact opposite, thats why they suck.

Im not sure about the Chiefs, and why they have struggled, but our management has brought in High Percentage Success Rate Players (if that doesnt make sense, they havent gambled on anybody).

It sounds too easy, but it works.

Fish
01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Pointless unrealistic thread......

Skip Towne
01-09-2007, 08:06 PM
you would think, but the talk around town appears to be the opposite.
anyway I took the liberty of learning about the guy after you asked, he certainly paid his dues, and has truly learned a lot in the process.

It certainly shows this year. Enjoy.
We need to find a guy just like him. It appears a guy with time in the scouting department is where to look.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
We need to find a guy just like him. It appears a guy with time in the scouting department is where to look.

Exactly, scouts know players and their tendencies.

Halfcan
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
The Chargers havn't won shit yet.

blueballs
01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
oh pity the poor Chief fan
crier of tears
not a winner or loser
just average

oh the humanity
Huard hates you all

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
How can you be envious of Marty Ball, he killed us and Cleveland with the same plan??????

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:22 PM
How can you be envious of Marty Ball, he killed us and Cleveland with the same plan??????

Marty has no control over management decisions here. Not sure if he did there or not.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
By the way hows the weather in KC?

blueballs
01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Keading has a lightbulb head like Bailey
only with hair

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Keading has a lightbulb head like Bailey
only with hair

Hell yeah, even if thats an insult.

rene torrez
I live 2 Hrs from San Diego and they are saying if it happens again 1 and done MARTY is GONE!!!!!!

dirk digler

We did his name is Herm Edwards :)

blueballs
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Bailey's gets shinny with sweat
Keading's hair sticks up with static

Douche Baggins
01-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Marty - 5-12 in the playoffs

vs

Brady - 11-1 in the playoffs

Hoo boy.

Brock
01-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Oh, they'll undoubtedly fire him if he doesn't get to the Super Bowl. Smith wanted to fire him a couple of years ago, but was held back by the team owner.

dirk digler
01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Marty has no control over management decisions here. Not sure if he did there or not.

When Marty came here first he didn't have control Carl had it all but in the last couple years of here he had control or so was speculated.

Marty didn't get along with Carl either.

blueballs
01-09-2007, 08:31 PM
firing Marty will put them at the top
of everyone's super bowl list

dirk digler
01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
As much as I don't like the Chargers right now I like Marty alot and he deserves his chance to win a SB.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
When Phillip Rivers melts down against the Pats and Drew Brees makes the SUPER BOWL, Marty will leave SD. He wanted Drew and to trade P Rivers.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Marty doesnt lose playoff games, the Players do.

dirk digler
01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
When Phillip Rivers melts down against the Pats and Drew Brees makes the SUPER BOWL, Marty will leave SD. He wanted Drew and to trade P Rivers.

Right now Charger fans have to be sweating whether Rivers is going to kill their chance. He is the one glaring weakness IMO on that team.

dirk digler
01-09-2007, 08:34 PM

LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

ROFL

You will have to find out the hard way my friend.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Right now Charger fans have to be sweating whether Rivers is going to kill their chance. He is the one glaring weakness IMO on that team.

Our Secondary isn't stellar either, however, we can neutralize this problem if we have a great pass rush.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
LMAO

LMAO

LMAO

ROFL

You will have to find out the hard way my friend.

Sometimes his play calling is suspect, but he didn't tell Ernest Byner to fumble that ball, or this guy...

<<<<<<<<<<<<

to miss a game winning field goal in Overtime.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:36 PM
All over the Radio they are saying a diffrent kind of enviroment in SD, If they feel the presure can you imagine PHILLIP RIVERS.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Philip Rivers hasn't played in the NFL Playoffs yet, but he was a 5 Time College Bowl MVP, and he has proved in all the big games this year that he can do enough to get it done.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Marty is a diffrent coach in the playoffs. The players told Marty to trust them. Would you trust a 1st time QB in his 1st playoff game down by 14 in the 1st quater?

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Either way, we can only wait and see how Rivers performs in his first playoff game.

dirk digler
Sometimes his play calling is suspect, but he didn't tell Ernest Byner to fumble that ball, or this guy...

<<<<<<<<<<<<

He has had some really bad luck and IMO he has to be jinxed.

There is no other way to explain it.

Buck
Marty is a diffrent coach in the playoffs. The players told Marty to trust them. Would you trust a 1st time QB in his 1st playoff game down by 14 in the 1st quater?

What makes you think we will be down by 14 in the 1st quarter?

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Do yoo think Marty will let him throw knowing Rodney Harrison will be back to prove a point.

dirk digler
01-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Either way, we can only wait and see how Rivers performs in his first playoff game.

The problem is he will be playing against a Bill Belichick D that confuses even the large majority of veteran QB's and he has struggled in the last few games going into the playoffs.

If I was the Pats I would stack the line to stop LT and force Rivers to beat you.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
You are going against Brian B he thrives on putting the pressure on you. Can you imagine if they go up by 7 on there 1st drive and San Diego Does not score.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Do yoo think Marty will let him throw knowing Rodney Harrison will be back to prove a point.

Rodney Harrison is out dipshit.

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:44 PM
You are going against Brian B he thrives on putting the pressure on you. Can you imagine if they go up by 7 on there 1st drive and San Diego Does not score.

Brian B is the coach of the Ravens

Bill B is the coach of the Patriots

Get your facts straight.

Halfcan
01-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Chargers are blitz happy and will be eaten alive by the Pats swing pass.

Halfcan
Pats 45 Chargers 0

rene torrez
I am telling you Phillip Rivers looks scared the last 2 games before he played Arizona.

SLQ
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't envy them. Marty knows how to choke better than any other coach in the whole NFL! At least Marv Levy was able to lose 4 super bowls. Marty only gets to watch from the cheap seats!

SLQ
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Pats 45 Chargers 0

I think SD has a better chance against the patsies than they do the ravens.

Brock
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM

A 5-13 playoff record suggests otherwise, with the last playoff victory 13 years ago. I truly wish Marty the best, but you do have reason to be nervous, speaking from experience.

Halfcan
01-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Rivers will be their downfall. Pats will destroy them.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:49 PM

Skip Towne
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, he killed those teams while winning 200 NFL games. Please check where both KC and Cleveland went after he left.

blueballs
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
If any Brown fans are still around from the Marty years
go ask them

Brock
01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, he killed those teams while winning 200 NFL games. Please check where both KC and Cleveland went after he left.

Of course they both went downhill when he left, he left both teams in a shambles.

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I feel for Donnie Edwards he is a good football player and to think San Diego didn't want him this year.

Bill Parcells
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
This has to be somebody's alias..LMAO

rene torrez
01-09-2007, 08:55 PM
He left to only get home field and to forget how to get players in playoff mode. Maybe a little tired?

Buck
01-09-2007, 08:58 PM
He left to only get home field and to forget how to get players in playoff mode. Maybe a little tired?

Dude, there isnt enough negative rep in the world for you. Im out later.

Skip Towne
01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
How do you know that?

Halfcan
01-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I am sure Marty will pass out Happy Shots to all of his players-double dose for Merryman-but it will not help.

Brock
01-09-2007, 09:13 PM
How do you know that?

Well, you can look at who wanted to keep Drew Brees and who wanted to let him leave and deduce that.

Skip Towne
01-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh, they'll undoubtedly fire him if he doesn't get to the Super Bowl. Smith wanted to fire him a couple of years ago, but was held back by the team owner.
Uh-huh, and who will they get that is better? I'm sure Smith would love to fire Marty. So he can take the credit. However, he should check out the fate of every GM Marty has left behind.

Brock
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Uh-huh, and who will they get that is better? I'm sure Smith would love to fire Marty. So he can take the credit. However, he should check out the fate of every GM Marty has left behind.

I know that in your mind there never has been a better coach than Marty, so what's the point in my answering that question? Personally, I would guess that they'd bump up their offensive coordinator. As far as taking the credit, I'll give Marty all the credit in the world if they win a Super Bowl - if they don't however, I'll stand by my proven opinion about him.

el borracho
01-10-2007, 01:23 AM
I would take Marty back in a second. Marty is light years better than Herm.

el borracho
01-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Antonio Gates

Tight end Antonio Gates was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2003 and had emerged as an All-Pro tight end in 2004 while leading the Chargers to a 12-4 record. Prior to the 2005 season, Gates held out of training camp, seeking a long-term contract. Smith would eventually give Gates an ultimatum; end the hold out by 12:30 PM on August 20, or be placed on the Roster Exempt List. Gates failed to meet the deadline and as a result missed the team's first regular season game against the Dallas Cowboys which resulted in a 28-24 loss. Gates and Smith would eventually reach an accord and Gates was signed to a 6-year, $24 million contract.
Wow. Bargain for that Player.

luv
01-10-2007, 01:26 AM
But Herm improved our defense and took us to a playoff game all in his first year here! [/sarcasm]

el borracho
01-10-2007, 01:29 AM
AJ Smith actually came over here with John Butler, and Butler knew he was in declining health and he was training A.J. Smith to be the GM when he could no longer assume his role as GM.

Basically, I would say that AJ, and John Butler have turned us around by making Picks and Signing Free Agents that make since. Teams like the Redskins, have done the exact opposite, thats why they suck.

Im not sure about the Chiefs, and why they have struggled, but our management has brought in High Percentage Success Rate Players (if that doesnt make sense, they havent gambled on anybody).

It sounds too easy, but it works.
Smith is the anti-Butler. Smith has created extra draft picks where Butler routinely gave them away. And that right there is one of the problems the Chiefs have- Carl Peterless keeps giving away our draft picks. Now we are an old team with no young offensive talent to rotate in or take over.

DaWolf
01-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Something you'd expect after over 20 years coaching...

boogblaster
01-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Marty-ball sucks..Marty picking talent doesn't....

Deberg_1990
01-10-2007, 05:32 AM
Lets not give Marty too much acclaim at least until after this weekends game.

Bellicheck/Brady much > Schottenheimer/Rivers

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Heh...this is a funny thread. I guess you're envious because the Chargers havent played and lost at home...yet.

Skip Towne
01-10-2007, 06:43 AM
I know that in your mind there never has been a better coach than Marty, so what's the point in my answering that question? Personally, I would guess that they'd bump up their offensive coordinator. As far as taking the credit, I'll give Marty all the credit in the world if they win a Super Bowl - if they don't however, I'll stand by my proven opinion about him.
He's in the top 10 in all time wins. Spin that.

Chiefs_Fan
01-10-2007, 07:04 AM
NEVER!

Brock
01-10-2007, 07:28 AM
He's in the top 10 in all time wins. Spin that.

Great! so what? Chuck Knox is too.

Amnorix
01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Rodney Harrison is out dipshit.

Likely true, but not yet certain.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Bad news, Amnorix...Im rooting for NE this weekend. I rooted for KC and then for OSU this last few days so they might be in trouble. Maybe the magic mojo of Tom Brady will offset my bad luck.

Amnorix
01-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Ought to be a great game this weekend. I'd be much happier if we weren't coming off a tough, physical game with them coming off a bye, likely having Harrison out, and needing to fly cross-country. :(

They have a tremendously talented team. Going to be a tough battle. I'm sure SD isn't loving the fact that they drew the Pats to start the playoffs with their first round seed.

Amnorix
01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Bad news, Amnorix...Im rooting for NE this weekend. I rooted for KC and then for OSU this last few days so they might be in trouble. Maybe the magic mojo of Tom Brady will offset my bad luck.

But you hate the Patriots...?!

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 07:53 AM
But you hate the Patriots...?!

Not as much as Marty...so you got that going for you. ;)

htismaqe
01-10-2007, 07:55 AM
I know I'm envious.

I long for that feeling they'll have after getting knocked out of the playoffs at home after having the best record in the AFC...

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I know I'm envious.

I long for that feeling they'll have after getting knocked out of the playoffs at home after having the best record in the AFC...

LMAO...you know it is the 10 year anniversary of that last time.

Started The Gerb over Gannon, pulled 'The Real Deal' after the first play of a 25yd run...ahh...the memories of the Super Secret Playoff Playbook.

htismaqe
01-10-2007, 08:18 AM
LMAO...you know it is the 10 year anniversary of that last time.

Started The Gerb over Gannon, pulled 'The Real Deal' after the first play of a 25yd run...ahh...the memories of the Super Secret Playoff Playbook.

Just wait to see what BB pulls out of his magician's hat for Old Man Rivers...

Iowanian
01-10-2007, 08:32 AM
BB's Hoodie is really his harry Potter cape, and the pen he chews on is his magic wand.

TrickyNicky
01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Glaring fact from the Chargers. They had the number one overall pick twice since 2001 and they made the most of it by trading Eli "I shoulda been a squash player" Manning off, and trading down and still getting LT. I applaud that. Probably the finest two decisions ever made by their GM's even though they were shitcanned by the press at the time.

But we will probably never have the number one overall pick. We will always be good (or bad) enough to win more than the worst teams in the league.

Chief Faithful
01-10-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm only envious the Chiefs don't have the SD DT's.

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 09:12 AM
I cant wait to watch the San Diego Chokers go down in flames this weekend

htismaqe
01-10-2007, 09:15 AM

Jammal Williams is the best DT in the league IMO.

sd4chiefs
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
My dog will be upset if the Chargers lose on Sunday. He likes to take a crap on the San Diego Sports section that has Chargers players pictures on it.

sd4chiefs
01-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Its going to suck for Charger fans when their team moves to another city in a couple of years.

Predarat
01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I won't be to envyous of them when Marty chokes yet again.

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
So who is Ladainian dating....and has he introduced her to Marty yet?

StcChief
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
So Cal Chargers in Orange County.

louie aguiar
01-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I would love to have the Chargers' DTs. Olshansky, Castillo, and Williams are head and shoulders above anything the Chiefs have.

And to think, we almost had Olshansky but the Chargers took him one spot ahead of us and we were stuck with Siavii.

milkman
01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Smith is the anti-Butler. Smith has created extra draft picks where Butler routinely gave them away. And that right there is one of the problems the Chiefs have- Carl Peterless keeps giving away our draft picks. Now we are an old team with no young offensive talent to rotate in or take over.

Actually, that was Bobb Beathard who traded away draft picks.

Butler engineered that trade with Atlanta that allowed them to pick Tomlinson and Brees, and gave Atlanta the right to select Vick.

The Chargers got the best end of that deal, just as they did the Manning for Rivers deal.

MahiMike
01-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Go Marty!!! Beat the crap out of those patsies.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-10-2007, 12:03 PM
"Envious of Charger fans"

lol, why? They're going to lose this weekend. Marty is cursed in the postseason, either by the wrong matchup or by choking with his stupid coaching. In this case, it's the wrong matchup.

chiefsfan1963
01-10-2007, 12:09 PM
As usual many missed my point. Marty has never had such a well balanced team. It is going to be hard to not win on SUnday. Smith and the Front office deserve all the credit. I'm envious of what the Chargers have and it's exactly what Chiefs don''t have.

If Marty and DV had a savy effective Front Office and GM the results of their tenure here in KC would be nothing short of spectacular.

They may lose on Sunday against a formidable opponent who arguably has the finest HC in the history of the game, but they will not look anything like the abortion that was produced last Weekend by the CHiefs!

Drunk
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Or Elway to make "The Drive".....

Drunk
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I am telling you Phillip Rivers looks scared the last 2 games before he played Arizona.
You do realize that every post you produce makes you look more and more idiotic. Everyone here knows you have no idea WTF you are talking about.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
They may lose on Sunday against a formidable opponent who arguably has the finest HC in the history of the game, but they will not look anything like the abortion that was produced last Weekend by the CHiefs!

Heh...we'll see. If the Super Secret Playoff Playbook is dusted off, you might be suprised.

milkman
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Or Elway to make "The Drive".....

John Elway made Marty his bitch, year after year, after year........

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
John Elway made Marty his bitch, year after year, after year........

Except for the Montana year...

Drunk
01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
As usual many missed my point. Marty has never had such a well balanced team. It is going to be hard to not win on SUnday. Smith and the Front office deserve all the credit. I'm envious of what the Chargers have and it's exactly what Chiefs don''t have.

If Marty and DV had a savy effective Front Office and GM the results of their tenure here in KC would be nothing short of spectacular.

Very true. The B&B combo should not be taken lightly. They have the experience and the talent. I expect a close game, in which the outcome will be decided by whoever is able to make better adjustments, make fewer mistakes, and limit penalties. San Diego has better overall talent and home-field advantage and the hunger, which should give them the W.

Pro Bowl QB Philip Rivers is NOT the weakness on this team. He will have some trouble with looks the defense will be giving him, but nothing the team wont be able to handle. He Has come through on numerous occasions to WIN the game, not just manage. When LT is stopped, Rivers comes through. He has not lost one game this season. Other than his lack of experience, I dont see why someone would say he is the reason we lose this game?

Bill Parcells
01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Chargers shut out Pats fans
Chargers shut out Pats fans
Only Southern Calif. residents to get seats
By Bruce Mohl, Globe Staff | January 10, 2007
__________________________________________________ ____________
The San Diego Chargers are trying to solidify their home-field advantage against the New England Patriots Sunday by restricting the sale of tickets to Southern California residents only.

Several Patriots fans who went looking for game tickets on Ticketmaster were stunned to learn that their money was no good.

"The San Diego Chargers have restricted sales to the Divisional Playoff game to residents of Southern California and the surrounding area only," Ticketmaster warned. "Residency will be based on your credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside of southern California will be canceled without notice."

Lynda Frank , a Patriots fan from Tewksbury, thought the sales restriction is unfair, if not outright illegal.

"Who do they think they are?" she asked. "Our reputation must have somehow preceded us and made us part of the fear factor associated with our team at playoff time."

Bill Johnston , a Chargers spokesman, said about 1,000 tickets went on sale Monday and sold within minutes.

"Our goal has always been to fill our stadium with Charger fans and supporters of the team. This also helps give our team the best home-field advantage possible," he said.

Johnston said the same ticket policy will be employed if the Chargers defeat the Patriots and advance to the American Football Conference title game. The hometown-fan-only restriction was not in place for regular season games of the Chargers.

The Chicago Bears also restricted sales to the team's game this Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks to fans from Illinois and northwest Indiana.

Greg Aiello , a National Football League spokesman, said he is not aware of how many teams restrict ticket sales to local fans. "There is no league policy that would prohibit it," he said.

Ticket industry officials said tickets are revocable licenses issued at the discretion of a team or venue.

Lawyers consulted by the Globe said such sales would be legal unless specifically prohibited . Excluding minorities or women from ticket purchases, for example, would raise legal problems because there are laws against discrimination of such groups.

Officials with the Patriots said they received a handful of complaints from fans about the Chargers' ticket restriction. Stacey James , the team spokesman, said the Patriots have never restricted ticket sales to their games.

"There's certainly logic to it," he said. "No team wants to fill their stadium with fans from the other team."

The only other option for Patriots fans wanting to see the game in San Diego is to buy tickets from a ticket reseller, but the prices are steep. Ace Ticket of Boston yesterday was selling $95 upper-level seats for $285. StubHub Inc. of San Francisco yesterday listed $95 end-zone upper-level seats for prices ranging from $214 to $295.

"Tickets are available. We have been getting lots of calls, and it seems to be a fair amount of Patriots fans are going to the game," said Jim Holzman , president of Ace.

Frank, the Patriots fan, said she doesn't think the hometown ticket restriction will do the Chargers any good because the Patriots play so well on the road. The team this season is 7-1 away from home.

Frank's prediction for Sunday? Patriots 35, Chargers 21.
Bruce Mohl can be reached at mohl@globe.com.

Douche Baggins
01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
They'll just get the tickets off Ebay.

Bill Parcells
01-10-2007, 12:39 PM
They'll just get the tickets off Ebay.
Or stub hub

big nasty kcnut
01-10-2007, 12:41 PM
I rather be a fan of the chiefs then a fan of a team that embrace cheaters and cheap shot artist.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I rather be a fan of the chiefs then a fan of a team that embrace cheaters and cheap shot artist.

WTF Biggie Smalls?

Brock
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
That's hilarious. They have to artificially keep fans from other teams from filling up their own stadium. Worst fans in football, bar none.

KcMizzou
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
That's hilarious. They have to artificially keep fans from other teams from filling up their own stadium. Worst fans in football, bar none. At first I wondered, "What about Charger fans from around the country? Charger fans who don't live in socal, but would travel to the game?"

What the hell was I thinking?

LMAO

Iowanian
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm having difficulty determining which remaining AFC team I dislike the least.

Prior to the season, I'd probably have pulled for the eggos, but given they way a horde of their new fans acted during the last game....Screw them too.

I already hated Baltimore and rayray, I already disliked Peyton, and reports of their fans sealed the deal, NE annoys me because they keep effing winning.

I'm going to just watch, and quietly hope Marty feels like an idiot for letting faBrees go.

TrickyNicky
01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
But what about those die-hard Charger fans that were there since the beginning? The ones, through thick and thin, have remained with the team?

Which ones do I mean? The ones who jumped on the wagon last year, of course. I'm sure they're swell guys, look how long they stuck with it.

Eric
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Chargers had to lose bad to get some of those good players.

Merriman was taken few ahead of us or we might have taken him.

Marty had to change as a coach or he was going to get fired at SD. He's a different coach than he was here. No more Jimmy Raye.

I still don't have proof he's a good game day manager.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm having difficulty determining which remaining AFC team I dislike the least.

Prior to the season, I'd probably have pulled for the eggos, but given they way a horde of their new fans acted during the last game....Screw them too.

I already hated Baltimore and rayray, I already disliked Peyton, and reports of their fans sealed the deal, NE annoys me because they keep effing winning.

I'm going to just watch, and quietly hope Marty feels like an idiot for letting faBrees go.

I agree with all of that, I am going with Baltimore just bc I have always admired and liked Steve McNair. I dislike rayray but McNair helped me like them alittle more.

Chief Faithful
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
I would love to have the Chargers' DTs. Olshansky, Castillo, and Williams are head and shoulders above anything the Chiefs have.

And to think, we almost had Olshansky but the Chargers took him one spot ahead of us and we were stuck with Siavii.

The Chiefs actually had to trade down to miss out on Olshansky. :banghead:

Drunk
01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
That's hilarious. They have to artificially keep fans from other teams from filling up their own stadium. Worst fans in football, bar none.
There were only 1000 tickets left, those were the ones that were available for socal residents only. Dumbasses. Know what your talking about before you open your yap.

Buck
01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
A lot of you are saying you aren't envious of the Chargers, but I can definitely since an envious undertone.

Drunk
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Chargers had to lose bad to get some of those good players.

Merriman was taken few ahead of us or we might have taken him.

Marty had to change as a coach or he was going to get fired at SD. He's a different coach than he was here. No more Jimmy Raye.

I still don't have proof he's a good game day manager.
Thats true, he gave Cam more freedom to run plays with little interference.

One of the winningest coaches in NFL history is not proof enough? Had you said good playoff coach, that is arguable.

Brock
01-10-2007, 02:57 PM
There were only 1000 tickets left, those were the ones that were available for socal residents only. Dumbasses. Know what your talking about before you open your yap.

Come on, like your stadium isn't packed with Raider fans and Chiefs fans when those teams come there. the TV doesn't lie, dude.

Buck
01-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Come on, like your stadium isn't packed with Raider fans and Chiefs fans when those teams come there. the TV doesn't lie, dude.

Yeah well the last 2 or 3 years it hasnt. I've been to all 9 of the Broncos/Chiefs/Raiders games the last 3 years and its definitely down to less than 10% of opposing teams fans. Now that would be a lot for Arrowhead, but any other stadium, we are right on par.

Also we are a military city and have a lot of fans from all the other teams. Also a lot of people move here just for the weather, and the beautiful city, thats another reason why a lot of other teams fans come here.

Drunk
01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Riiiiight, the TV doesnt lie. Keep telling yourself that.

Fish
01-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Riiiiight, the TV doesnt lie. Keep telling yourself that.

Whaaaa?

So you're saying all those fans we see on TV wearing your opponents jerseys are really Charger fans in disguise?

Drunk
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Whaaaa?

So you're saying all those fans we see on TV wearing your opponents jerseys are really Charger fans in disguise?
No, im saying the TV lies all the time.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
The only thing envious of the Chargers I have is the weather in San Diego.

Buck
01-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Whaaaa?

Just because the camera pans to some fans wearing opponents jerseys doesnt mean the entire stadium is filled with them.

Skip Towne
Example please.

Fish

The TV lies about fans we can see on the screen?

You ain't saying shit.... you have no idea what you're talking about....

Bill Parcells
01-10-2007, 03:12 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/4.gif

Fish
01-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Just because the camera pans to some fans wearing opponents jerseys doesnt mean the entire stadium is filled with them.

....And just because playoff ticket orders by residents outside of southern California will be canceled without notice.... it doesn't mean they have a problem getting Charger fans into the stadium......

Keep going.....

BucEyedPea
01-10-2007, 03:22 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/4.gif
Do you care to share?
I'd like to join you. :p

Buck
01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
....And just because playoff ticket orders by residents outside of southern California will be canceled without notice.... it doesn't mean they have a problem getting Charger fans into the stadium......

Keep going.....

This is a non issue. Let me end this conversation right here.

Qualcomm Stadium seats approximately 70,000 people.

Chargers Season Ticket Holders, players, coaches, team employees, have already purchased all but 1,000 tickets.

So if you are a non season ticket holder, and a big fan of the Chargers, this was the only way you could get a ticket.

Basically they were giving first dibs to their own fans.

Skip Towne
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Chargers Season Ticket Holders, players, coaches, team employees, have already purchased all but 1,000 tickets.

So if you are a non season ticket holder, and a big fan of the Chargers, this was the only way you could get a ticket.

That's outrageous!

Bill Parcells
01-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Do you care to share?
I'd like to join you. :p
ssshhh..I stole that from Laz..it costs me 10 cents every time I use it.;)

Drunk
01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
"So if you are a non season ticket holder, and a big fan of the Chargers, this was the only way you could get a ticket."

Well, the only way you can get a ticket at face value........

Fish
01-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Is this a non-issue to the Charger fan from Vegas who gets his ticket purchase canceled and has to pay a scalper $100 more? He's a non season ticket holder, and a big fan of the Chargers, so how do you justify this to him? Is it right that they say this person from SoCal is a more deserving fan by his location alone?

Buck
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Is this a non-issue to the Charger fan from Vegas who gets his ticket purchase canceled and has to pay a scalper $100 more? He's a non season ticket holder, and a big fan of the Chargers, so how do you justify this to him? Is it right that they say this person from SoCal is a more deserving fan by his location alone?

Dude, c'mon you are obviously just pissed that you arent in the playoffs.

Fish
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Yeah.... spectacular deflection....

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Dont worry you will be done after this weekend.

Adept Havelock
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Dude, c'mon, obviously you didn't think of the impact on Boltfans that are lucky enough not to live in SoCal.

StcChief
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Surprise they didn't limit it to SoCal only.. :rolleyes:

short sighted.

Include AZ/NV anyway.

Drunk
01-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Dude, c'mon, obviously you didn't think of the impact on Boltfans that are lucky enough not to live in SoCal.

Hey, since when did you have to live in SoCal to be a season ticket holder? I dont hear any of my buds from vegas complaining about not being able to get tickets.

First you talk sh*t about too many rival fans, then when the fans buy out all the tickets, you complain about there not being enough for the rivals.

Quit your bitchin already, you guys sound like a bunch of women with nothing to talk about.