PDA

View Full Version : Insider look @ Netflix

Silock
01-10-2007, 03:15 AM
For those that are curious about the behind the scenes @ Netflix, here is a quick story I found on the New Yorker Online.

MOVING PICTURES
TEAR, SLAP, CLACK
Issue of 2006-08-28
Posted 2006-08-21

Shortly before sunrise on a summer Tuesday, a truck left a warehouse in Rockville, Maryland. It travelled a mile to a post office. The driver backed up to a loading dock, where fifteen mail carts awaited him. The carts were stacked with boxes of those ubiquitous red pre-paid envelopes, containing DVDs addressed to Netflix. Before 1998, the only option for renting videos was a local store with a few thousand titles. Today, Netflix, as a delivery system, is almost as ingrained as the mail itself. Five million subscribers select movies online, watch them at home, send them back, and pay monthly fees: $17.99 a month for the most popular plan (three at a time, at home or in transit).

By the time the truck is back at the warehouse—one of forty-one similar hubs around the country—and has been unloaded, some forty employees (“associates,” in Netflix parlance) are ready for work. The majority are women who were born in Africa and in Asia. At 6:30 A.M., they sit down in ergonomic chairs and begin the process known as “rental return.” An associate tears open an envelope that contains a sleeve enclosing a disk, tosses the empty envelope into a recycling bin, removes the DVD from its sleeve, checks the title on the DVD (when “Black Dog” arrives in a sleeve for “The Triangle,” the mismatched sleeve is discarded and “Black Dog” is re-sleeved), checks the condition of the sleeve (those with coffee stains or other evidence of having been used as coasters will also be replaced), checks the condition of the DVD (for scratches and cracks), and extracts customer notes (“THROW THIS DAMN DISK AWAY. IT DOES NOT WORK AFTER EPISODE 2, CHAPTER 4!”). Fingers flying and heads swivelling, the women each open between four hundred and fifty and eleven hundred and fifty returned rentals an hour.

Tuesday is the busiest day of the week at Netflix—people tend to watch DVDs on the weekend and mail them back on Mondays—but by 11 A.M. the day’s incoming envelopes have been processed and the associates have an hour for lunch. Netflix hires associates from temp agencies, starting at nine dollars an hour. Those who can maintain a fast and accurate pace become permanent employees after three months. Benefits include a free DVD player and a Netflix subscription. “If I see a title often, I’ll take a chance on it,” a slender woman from Hong Kong said. She enjoyed the first two seasons of “Entourage” this way.

At noon, the “stuffing” process gets under way. An associate grabs a sleeved outbound disk with one hand; inserts it into an electronically addressed envelope with the other; flips the envelope closed; rips off a peel over a sticker strip; and presses the envelope shut. Stuffing styles vary. One associate’s hands move so quickly that she seems to be a fan operating at highest speed. She is among the fastest workers, with a stuffing rate of about a thousand per hour. In fifty-seven seconds, she stuffed “Oyster Farmer,” “Elizabethtown,” “Where the Buffalo Roam,” two copies of “Brokeback Mountain,” “Hill Street Blues: Season 2: Disc 6,” “Picture Perfect,” “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,” two copies of “Firewall,” “The Ice Harvest,” “Elfen Lied: Volume 1: Vector One,” “Best Motoring: Rotary Reborn,” two copies of “16 Blocks,” “Rumor Has It,” “24: Season 3: Disc 2,” and “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.” Reed Hastings, the C.E.O. of Netflix, would not be hired as an associate. His stuffing rate is three hundred and sixty per hour.

Stuffed Netflix envelopes are sealed on two sides and fed into a tabber, a machine that slaps tabs on a third side at the rate of six thousand an hour. The next step for the envelopes is one of the hub’s four Zip Code sorters. The envelopes zoom down vertical conveyor belts and exit at their Zip Code destinations along the belt with loud clacks.

Associates work forty hours a week. By 5:30 P.M., most had completed their work. Tabbers still slapped and envelopes still clacked into destination slots for two more hours. After the warehouse closes, a truck returns to the post office, which accepts first-class pre-sorted mail for next-day delivery until 8 P.M. A hundred and twenty-six thousand DVDs came out of the post office in the morning, a hundred and twenty-six thousand went back that evening. Netflix is one of the ten largest users of first-class mail in America.

Sometime on Wednesday, a Netflix subscriber in Washington, D.C., or St. Michaels, Maryland, or Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, would be able to cut the tab on a red envelope, open it along one edge, and extract “Y Tu Mamá También” (five and a half per cent of rentals are foreign films), or “Martha’s Baking Favorites” (how-to videos are just shy of two per cent of the Netflix catalogue), or “Syriana” (that week’s most rented title).

— Susan Sheehan

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 04:48 AM
60 minutes had an episode a while back that showed how F***ing HUGE "NetFlix" was and averaging something like $50 million a month in profits or something unreal like that.

Someone had a great idea and turned it into a gold mine. Blockbuster and alike are now trying to do the same things cause they are losing ground FAST.

Cochise
01-10-2007, 05:58 AM
60 minutes had an episode a while back that showed how F***ing HUGE "NetFlix" was and averaging something like $50 million a month in profits or something unreal like that.

Someone had a great idea and turned it into a gold mine. Blockbuster and alike are now trying to do the same things cause they are losing ground FAST.

I saw a blockbuster store the other day that had closed down completely. It used to be that they were putting the little guys out of business. Now they are getting run out. Kind of ironic.

chagrin
01-10-2007, 06:10 AM
I saw a blockbuster store the other day that had closed down completely. It used to be that they were putting the little guys out of business. Now they are getting run out. Kind of ironic.

Kind of hilarious, heh

oaklandhater
01-10-2007, 06:33 AM
I dont understand whats so great about netflix. Ive had nothing but problems with em.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Netflix hires associates from temp agencies, starting at nine dollars an hour. Those who can maintain a fast and accurate pace become permanent employees after three months. Benefits include a free DVD player and a Netflix subscription. “If I see a title often, I’ll take a chance on it,” a slender woman from Hong Kong said. She enjoyed the first two seasons of “Entourage” this way.

The guy that is C.O.O. should get a fuggin Bonus Cash award for keeping the cost of operation to almost nothing and maximizing profits while watching the competition scramble like rats on a sinking ship.

oaklandhater
01-10-2007, 06:37 AM
The guy that is C.O.O. should get a fuggin Bonus Cash award for keeping the cost of operation to almost nothing and maximizing profits while watching the competition scramble like rats on a sinking ship.

Yep nothing like slowing down the rate ppl get there movies.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 06:38 AM
I dont understand whats so great about netflix. Ive had nothing but problems with em.

Personally I don't use'em but I know a lot of people that do. Thier #'s grow in double digits every quarter i'm guessing.

Gowth like this sometimes makes your service and customer service suffer or suck.

If everyone that used them had nothing but problems I am guessing they wouldn't be the MONSTER they are.

oaklandhater
01-10-2007, 06:49 AM
It might be that I started useing em right when they started out when I use to put 2 movies in the mailbox in the morning before I went to work,

And bye the time I got home I would have 2 new movies to watch.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I did netflix about 5/6 years ago for about 6 months...it was ok. I liked their suggestion feature. I got the 6 months free when I bought about 400 bucks in monster cables.

Silock
01-10-2007, 07:05 AM

That's odd. I've used them basically since they started offering their service and have never had any trouble whatsoever with them.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2007, 07:08 AM
I think they got sued for what oaklandhater is talking about. They would start out very fast, and then eventually they would slow down how fast they would ship you movies.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I got the 6 months free when I bought about 400 bucks in monster cables.
400 bucks in monster cables? Man, they must have seen you coming from a mile away.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
400 bucks in monster cables? Man, they must have seen you coming from a mile away.

Forgive me, I was a cable n00b at the time...

Silock
01-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I think they got sued for what oaklandhater is talking about. They would start out very fast, and then eventually they would slow down how fast they would ship you movies.

Really? When did that happen?

I've always gotten my movies within 2-3 days of returning them.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 07:18 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/01/60minutes/main2222059.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories

Here is the link to the 60 Minutes segment on the Brain behind NetFlix episode.

It IS $50Million a month they are making!

:eek:

Cochise
01-10-2007, 07:27 AM
That's odd. I've used them basically since they started offering their service and have never had any trouble whatsoever with them.

I've been using it for about a year and have been happy. If I mail a movie back on Monday, they get it on Tuesday, and I have a new one Wednesday. I think that's pretty reasonable. I don't really plow through them anyway. I'm on the 1-at-a-time plan for $9.99. I watch about one a week so that's all I need.

One time I got a DVD that had a crack in it and wouldn't play, I did the report damage thing on the website and they sent me a new one immediately, before I had even returned the old one. It probably happened in the mail anyways, so I can't really fault them for that.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Forgive me, I was a cable n00b at the time...

Actually ... Even buying cables at cost where I worked before was DAMNED expensive.

I purchased 3 sets of "Component Video Cable", "2 Monster Power Centers" (One was the 1000 series) some "Monster fiber optic cables" for sound and I think I got some "Monster audio cables" too and I spent short of $400, so spending $400 on "Monster Anything" isn't that hard.

Monster is pretty proud of thier stuff so buying in bulk wholesale still costs.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 07:45 AM

True...Today, I probably wouldnt have bought the monster brand. What really killed was the fiber cable...back in 1999, they were pretty expensive. 2m cable was 75 bucks.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Actually ... Even buying cables at cost where I worked before was DAMNED expensive.

I purchased 3 sets of "Component Video Cable", "2 Monster Power Centers" (One was the 1000 series) some "Monster fiber optic cables" for sound and I think I got some "Monster audio cables" too and I spent short of $400, so spending $400 on "Monster Anything" isn't that hard.

That's because they are marketing geniouses. They are like Bose. Keep repeating that they are high quality and worth the outrageous price, and people will believe it - and buy it.

What kills me is people who spend alot on fiber cables. They are digital, there won't be a signal loss. The light gets there, or it doesn't.

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Forgive me, I was a cable n00b at the time...I did that too when we bought our HDTV and surround sound system a couple of years ago. I bought about $400 worth of Monster cables on the suggestion of the salesman, and because we got and additional $100 off the surround sound.

I had a bad feeling about it when we left the store (Nebraska Furniture Mart), so I did a little research and when we went to pick up the TV that weekend, I brought back the cables and still kept the $100 discount. :thumb:

Fish
01-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Netflix tip....

When you return your movies.... make sure the UPC code shows through the little slot on the return envelope. When you do this, it gets scanned at the Post Office and Netflix knows the movie is on it's way back. They will process your next queue movie before the rented one actually gets back to them.

Also... if they send you an e-mail asking what day so-and-so movie arrived... always tell them it arrived later than it did. They try to pace your delivery times so it gets to you quickly, but not too quickly. You can get them to send out movies faster if you keep telling them the movies arrived later than they did.

I like Netflix, and I'm glad I don't have to go to Blockbuster ever again...

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
That's because they are marketing geniouses. They are like Bose. Keep repeating that they are high quality and worth the outrageous price, and people will believe it - and buy it.

What kills me is people who spend alot on fiber cables. They are digital, there won't be a signal loss. The light gets there, or it doesn't.

I see your point but I don't really think I was spending that much more than I would have buying them from Wal-Mart.

I seem to remember the component video cables I was buying were the same that HP stero and video was selling for $89.99 and I bought them from my employer for $35. Kinda shows you what the mark up is in retail doesn't it.

I have no problem with MONSTER equipement as I do think they are better than MOST of the crap you can buy elsewhere but NOT if I have to pay retail for it. ;)

Saulbadguy
01-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I see your point but I don't really think I was spending that much more than I would have buying them from Wal-Mart.

I seem to remember the component video cables I was buying were the same that HP stero and video was selling for $89.99 and I bought them from my employer for $35. Kinda shows you what the mark up is in retail doesn't it.

I have no problem with MONSTER equipement as I do think they are better than MOST of the crap you can buy elsewhere but NOT if I have to pay retail for it. ;)

Even wholesale is pretty high for those things. Plus there are only a few cables you actually need to upgrade, mainly speaker wire, and video cables.

Digital cables, you don't need anything special.

gblowfish
01-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Netflix will go down in flames in the next five years. All the cable companies will be getting into making movies available as downloads to a Tivo or DV-R device. Also, devices like the Apple TV Box (unveiled at Macworld yesterday) will allow you to download a movie to your computer, then pass it wi-fi to your TV. There will be no need for a disc anymore, it will all be downloads and hard drive space.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Even wholesale is pretty high for those things. Plus there are only a few cables you actually need to upgrade, mainly speaker wire, and video cables.

Digital cables, you don't need anything special.

My neighbor owns the Radio Shack here in JC and his comment to me about Monster equipment was that the ONLY thing he recommends to most people when replacing OEM cables is usually the SUBWOOFER connecting cable from the AMP. He was pretty persuasive that the OEM cables to most HOME Theatre systems SUCK ASS. I have to agree with him on that. Monster cable for that cost me $17.... Retail for the same was around $35.

I don't have a problem buying Monster cables unless I can save $10 or more buying "COMPAREABLE" alternatives.

SLAG
01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I have some Monster Component cables for sale if anyone wants them

KC Kings
01-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I hav e never used NetFlix, but I love the Blockbuster mail order movies. It is $17 a month, and you can have 3 movies at a time. The best part is, to save them the return shipping cost you can return the movies to a Blockbuster store and exchange them for a free movie.

So I have my on-line queue filled with kids movies, and my kids can watch them over the week, and I return the to Blockbuster Tuesday after work and exchange them for the 3 best new releases for the week. Granted, there has been a dry spell where all of the new releases have suck baws, but I don't have to waste too much time watching crap such as the Covenent, before I know it is crap and turn it off.

patteeu
01-10-2007, 09:16 AM
It might be that I started useing em right when they started out when I use to put 2 movies in the mailbox in the morning before I went to work,

That doesn't sound possible. You had mail service twice a day?

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Does NetFlix have a feature that lets you keep and buy movies you want for your collection? I am sure BlockBuster would have that as they sell thier stuff off anyway.

jAZ
01-10-2007, 09:22 AM

If you were on the 2 movie plan, that's physically impossible. If so, your expectations might be the problem.

Cochise
01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe his mailman takes mail in the morning, and then comes back to deliver the new mail in the afternoon? :spock:

jAZ
01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Maybe his mailman takes mail in the morning, and then comes back to deliver the new mail in the afternoon? :spock:
I'd say that it's far more likely that he's exaggerating than that 1) the post office stops by someone's house twice in one day (even the post office isn't that badly run)... 2) Even if they did stop by twice... that it's possible to have the following happen in less than say 6-8 hours...

pickup go from mailbox...
truck goes to all the other houses...
before going to the local office...
processed at local office...
shipped to the main for further processing...
shipped to the city where the Netflix warehouse is...
shipped to netflix (they likely don't go to a local distribution site)...
processed intake at netflix, new movies are sent (call this 1 step, because they really do it almost simultaneously)...
picked up from netflix...
processed at central office...
sent to his local main post office...
sent to his neighborhood office...
processed and loaded to truck...
truck leaves for afternoon rounds...
truck comes by his house to drop off movies...

And unless the volume of mail at his house or his neighborhood is so masssive relative to the size of the mail vehicle... as to require an early pickup and a late dropoff (ie, FedEx/UPS)... we definately talking physically impossible.

jAZ
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
His claim is possible if he's on a 4 movie plan (which they do have)... and he lives right next to the distribution center (I live in Tucson, they have one in Phoenix so it's possible)...

They also did implement a policy where they kept the highest priority "next day" service for their very new customers and established customers would occassionally be put on hold for a day (delayed in the warehouse deliberately) if they were churning through movies (ie, 1-2 a day) and had a new release/high demand movie next on the que.

So while what he's saying might not be possible if he's on a 2 or 3 movie plan, it's posisble with a 4 movie plan and he certainly experienced a drop in service in the last 2 years in any case.

foxman
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Use em, love the service. Hate Blockbuster.

ck_IN
01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
I was considering canceling my Starz subscription with Directv and using Netflix. Their $10 option would be cheaper.

Any opinions?

Brock
01-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Netflix is great. Very rarely do I get a DVD that I have a problem with.

KC Kings
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Does NetFlix have a feature that lets you keep and buy movies you want for your collection? I am sure BlockBuster would have that as they sell thier stuff off anyway.

Buy the movie? With DVD Fab Decrypter why would anybody buy a movie? That's as silly as buying computer software.

Otter
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Netflix is great. Very rarely do I get a DVD that I have a problem with.
Same here. I would recommend wiping them down though before placing them in the DVD player.

Being able to browse the movie selection online is golden in itself but then if you want to learn more about it you can check it out at IMDB or wherever as well.

Long time satisfied customer here.

Cochise
01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I'd say that it's far more likely that he's exaggerating than that 1) the post office stops by someone's house twice in one day (even the post office isn't that badly run)...

Your sarcasmeter is broken ;)

jAZ
01-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Your sarcasmeter is broken ;)
Santa was supposed to be bringing me a new one. I wonder what happened?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images2/computervintage7.jpg

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
they should do this for adult movies.

Delano
01-10-2007, 11:53 AM

I have not explored the feature, but I have noticed there is a tab to click on that is titled DVD's for $5.99.

Delano
01-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I was considering canceling my Starz subscription with Directv and using Netflix. Their $10 option would be cheaper.

Any opinions?

Absolutely-switch to Netflix! I have Starz as part of my introductory cable package and very rarely find a movie worth watching. I average about 10 movies through Netflix a month and they are all movies that I very strongly desire to see.

At the very least switch from Starz to HBO!

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 12:05 PM
At the very least switch from Starz to HBO!

For the Sports programs and INSIDE the NFL if nothing else!

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Netflix has lost its burst. Blockbuster has trumped them. You can take your DVD's to the retail store and get a new movie and they will mail the return dvd for you. You get a free movie to watch. Netflix can't touch that.

Delano
01-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Netflix has lost its burst. Blockbuster has trumped them. You can take your DVD's to the retail store and get a new movie and they will mail the return dvd for you. You get a free movie to watch. Netflix can't touch that.

I kind of figured the whole point of Netflix was to avoid dumpy rental stores. Blockbuster's marketing to get you back in their stores worked apparently.

KcMizzou
01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I kind of figured the whole point of Netflix was to avoid dumpy rental stores. Blockbuster's marketing to get you back in their stores worked apparently.You can do it either way. Mail it in and wait for a new movie, or if you want a new movie now you can go to any store.

Halfcan
01-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Net has a huge selection.

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I kind of figured the whole point of Netflix was to avoid dumpy rental stores. Blockbuster's marketing to get you back in their stores worked apparently.See thats the beauty of it. You want to avoid the store no problem. Both Netflix and blockbuster can do that. What if you want a new movie right away? Go rent one at Blockbuster or some other video store or you can just wait a day or two for the return DVD.

I have a DVD (Clerks2, very funy chit) that I would have usually put in the mail today. Instead I'll let Blockbuster put it in the mail for me and I'll take the "Crank" movie home with me. I'm already having to go to the grocery store next door anyway.

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
See thats the beauty of it. You want to avoid the store no problem. Both Netflix and blockbuster can do that. What if you want a new movie right away? Go rent one at Blockbuster or some other video store or you can just wait a day or two for the return DVD.

I have a DVD (Clerks2, very funy chit) that I would have usually put in the mail today. Instead I'll let Blockbuster put it in the mail for me and I'll take the "Crank" movie home with me. I'm already having to go to the grocery store next door anyway.

CRANK is a KICK ASS movie. You'll like it if you like NON STOP action from start to finish.

:thumb: :thumb: I give it TWO thumbs up!

Brock
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I haven't set foot in a blockbuster in 2 years. Life is good.

Guru
01-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Netflix will go down in flames in the next five years. All the cable companies will be getting into making movies available as downloads to a Tivo or DV-R device. Also, devices like the Apple TV Box (unveiled at Macworld yesterday) will allow you to download a movie to your computer, then pass it wi-fi to your TV. There will be no need for a disc anymore, it will all be downloads and hard drive space.
From what I have seen of the legal movie downloads, they will not be overtaking disc rentals for quite some time. Quality is crap compared to disc. I won't consider that type of renting or buying until they get the quality up to par.

Silock
01-10-2007, 02:40 PM

The problem for me is that Blockbuster's movie selection, even online, isn't nearly as large as Netflix. With Netflix, I can rent really obscure, or old and perhaps unpopular stuff, while Blockbuster doesn't carry that stuff.

Fish
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
The problem for me is that Blockbuster's movie selection, even online, isn't nearly as large as Netflix. With Netflix, I can rent really obscure, or old and perhaps unpopular stuff, while Blockbuster doesn't carry that stuff.

But you're guaranteed a copy of Miss Congeniality 2!!

Guru
01-10-2007, 02:43 PM
They are still new to the mail market and trumping Netflix on the returns by offering a free rental for every return you do in store. They will get their online selection competitive over time.

Silock
01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
But you're guaranteed a copy of Miss Congeniality 2!!

Sandra Bullock is better than porn!

Silock
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
They are still new to the mail market and trumping Netflix on the returns by offering a free rental for every return you do in store. They will get their online selection competitive over time.

Maybe. Netflix will probably just retaliate by lowering their prices.

Guru
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe. Netflix will probably just retaliate by lowering their prices.
I am counting on it. :)

Cochise
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
So if I get a movie A in the mail from Blockbuster, then I return it at the store and get another movie, movie B, can return movie B by mail, or am I then obligated to make a second trip to the local Blockbuster to return movie B? Also, is there a time limit on B, can I rack up late fees on movie B?

Guru
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
So if I get a movie A in the mail from Blockbuster, then I return it at the store and get another movie, movie B, can return movie B by mail, or am I then obligated to make a second trip to the local Blockbuster to return movie B? Also, is there a time limit on B, can I rack up late fees on movie B?
Yes, you can return your online/mail rentals to the local store and get a free store rental. The store rental needs to be returned to the store and yes all late rules apply to it. No you cannot return the store rental using the mail.

Silock
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes, you can return your online/mail rentals to the local store and get a free store rental. The store rental needs to be returned to the store and yes all late rules apply to it. No you cannot return the store rental using the mail.

That sucks. The whole point of Netflix is so I don't have to move my fat ass any further than the damn mailbox! ROFL

BigRedChief
01-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Also, is there a time limit on B, can I rack up late fees on movie B?
I never pay late fees. I only pay a restocking fee of $1.50 if I'm over a week late

Deberg_1990
01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that Blockbuster is going to start reducing the size of their stores and concetrate mainly on the ever growing online rental portion of the biz......interesting...

Another big thing in the next 5 years will be making movies available for downloading.

Guru
01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I never pay late fees. I only pay a restocking fee of $1.50 if I'm over a week late
The Blockbusters in Topeka stopped doing that "restocking" fee and went back to normal late fee charges. People were ticked over the whole "we will charge your credit card for the price of the movie if it is not returned within 7 days of the due date" thing. Then when you return it after the 7 days but before 30 days they take back the total charge and just charge the late/restocking fee.

Valiant
01-11-2007, 12:34 AM

More then that... I just bough a 8ft HDMI cable for my moms bigscreen for 19$, we sell the thing for a 170$..

Valiant
01-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Blockbuster is going to start reducing the size of their stores and concetrate mainly on the ever growing online rental portion of the biz......interesting...

Another big thing in the next 5 years will be making movies available for downloading.

Already doing it.. It is called Vongo.com

Valiant
01-11-2007, 12:39 AM

They better because it is horrendous for titles that are available...

Guru
01-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Already doing it.. It is called Vongo.com
Vongo sucks. Tried it. Those movies are more compressed than even dvdshrink.

Silock
01-11-2007, 02:36 AM
More then that... I just bough a 8ft HDMI cable for my moms bigscreen for 19$, we sell the thing for a 170$..

Employee discount? If not, where did you get it? I've been looking for some cheap HDMI cables.

Halfcan
01-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Once again the mighty Blockbuster flexes its muscles to kill another competitor.

I say NO I will not switch to Blockbuster.

Kerberos
01-11-2007, 04:24 AM

I'm a loser ... My JVC 57" Widescreen is a few years old. GREAT HD Picture .. But NO HDMI inputs. :sulk:

I have no idea what those cost!

Saggysack
01-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Had Netflix for 5yrs. Never again will I step into another video store.

BigRedChief
01-11-2007, 06:44 AM
The Blockbusters in Topeka stopped doing that "restocking" fee and went back to normal late fee charges. People were ticked over the whole "we will charge your credit card for the price of the movie if it is not returned within 7 days of the due date" thing. Then when you return it after the 7 days but before 30 days they take back the total charge and just charge the late/restocking fee.
Here is Lee's Summit they don't charge your credit card they just make you pay the $1.50 before you can check out more movies.

BigRedChief
01-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Had Netflix for 5yrs. Never again will I step into another video store.
I've had Netflix for 2 years now. They have a much faster turn around time than Blockbuster. But I'm now trying Blockbuster again to see if this getting a free movie now is worth a trip to the store.

Guru
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Has anybody that uses Blockbuster online tried their rating system? I am finding it kind of annoying in that the movies that I have rated still show up on my recommended list. I thought the entire point of recommendations was to point you toward movies that you have not yet seen that you might like based on your ratings. I have to weed through all of my rated movies to find a movie I haven't seen.