PDA

View Full Version : It was a team loss

Chiefnj
01-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I watched the game again last night in about a half-hour fast forwarding through a lot. Some observations:

1. Whoever the next QB is, the guy has to have some ability to audible. There were times when there were 9 defenders in the box clearly playing run and the Chiefs ran it anyway right into the middle of the 9 guys. I don't care if Indy had the worst run D in the league, that just isn't going to work. Green, Huard, Croyle, Testaverde, whoever it is, has to have the ability to call a pass with the one-on-one matchup on the outside.

2. The OL didn't show up at all. Even without the extra Indy defenders playing he line, the OL was beaten at the point of attack by the undersized Indy line and was never able to get a push.

3. Waters had a horrible day. He was as bad as Black. In addition to poor run and pass blocking, he stepped on Green's foot and was responsible for a critical false start on 3rd and short that put the Chiefs back to a known passing situation where Green got hit and threw a pick.

4. The D played inspired ball but once again failed to come up big when the team needed them to. After the offense finally scored and made it 8-16 they needed to make a stop on the next drive. Instead, they let Manning drive 71 yards for a TD.

5. The dropped passes were inexcusable. What people overlook is that on many of the dropped 3rd down passes, the receivers were running patterns SHORT of the first down marker. Even if they made the catch they likely wouldn't have converted. (Unfortunately that is a Herm run offense trademark).

HonestChieffan
01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
That should clear up any questions that remain.

FringeNC
01-10-2007, 09:06 AM
More power to you. I couldn't sit through that again.

htismaqe
01-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Number 3 is what bothers me most. I mentioned it several times the day of the game and I don't think people wanted to listen.

Waters played that game as if he didn't care. I honestly think he's a good player, but I wouldn't shed a tear if they cut him after that.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 09:14 AM
...After the offense finally scored and made it 8-16. Instead, they let Manning drive 71 yards for a TD.

Isnt that the drive they converted that 3rd and 18? Ugh...3rd and 10+ really killed KC this year. I'd be willing to bet that 3rd and 15 conversions were over 60% against KC.

siberian khatru
01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Agreed on all counts.

Although on No. 4, I (and others) predicted at the time the Colts would do that, because at that point it was clear the D was running out of gas from being on the field 3/4ths of the game.

We lost that game in the 1st half, when the D held Indy to 3 FGs and the O totally failed to take advantage of the opportunity (and really it was just two FGs -- the last one was a direct result of offensive incompetence).

Lzen
01-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Ref. #3:

I was listening to people on the radio the other day blaming Trent for being too slow to get out of the way. WTF? I mean, I don't have a problem with blaming a player when they play poorly. But some of the stuff that was blamed on Green was simply idiotic. :shake: Be glad you don't live near KC and have to listen to some of the local yokels calling in and bitching on the radio.

Fish
01-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I'd disagree with #4

We held the smirking man-bitch to just 3 FGs (including a 48 and 50 yd FG) in the first half... sacked him once (only the 9th sack at home all season), and got 3 INTs... one of which Law delivered to the O on the 10yd line.

And considering the amount of time the O made the D stay on the field... I don't think you can fault this D too much.

Hydrae
01-10-2007, 09:23 AM
How much was #2 influenced by the loss of Dunn(damnit Carl! :cuss: )?

Iowanian
01-10-2007, 09:23 AM
The offense played like they were at an "all you can drink for $5 Dil-dow Partah" until 4am.

So much for that Team building exercise.

Oh yeah....If I hear Herm making excuses again with the "we only had 18 plays" crap, I'm probably going to throw an object at the speaker.

Herm, maybe, just maybe, the reason you had only 18 offensive plays in the first half, and couldn't get a first down, was because the game plan was bad. If 90% of Chief fans can predict your first down offensive play, I'm guessing Indy's D Coord will have a pretty good idea.

What I can't figure out, was WHY in the hell if they were going to run on every first down, why go straight up the middle, instead of off tackle to try to take advantate of the Speed rushers?

Chiefnj
01-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Two other points that I forgot.

6. The Colts offense made the necessary changes on offense at the half. In the third and early 4th quarters they moved the ball at will. They picked the cover 2 apart. They were moving the ball before Law's INT on the first drive and then went 89 and 71 yards respectively on their next 2 possessions.

7. Wesley played a good game.

Lzen
01-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Agreed on all counts.

Although on No. 4, I (and others) predicted at the time the Colts would do that, because at that point it was clear the D was running out of gas from being on the field 3/4ths of the game.

We lost that game in the 1st half, when the D held Indy to 3 FGs and the O totally failed to take advantage of the opportunity (and really it was just two FGs -- the last one was a direct result of offensive incompetence).

Yep, if we had a gameplan on offense that was anywhere near competent (something that wasn't out of a pee wee football playbook), the halftime score would've been KC 7(at the very least), Indy 6. After that miserable performance, I'm almost ready to ride Herm out on a rail. Perhaps I'll calm down and give him the benefit of the doubt by next preseason. At this point, I'm still pissed at that joke of an offensive performance.

Chiefnj
01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd disagree with #4

We held the smirking man-bitch to just 3 FGs (including a 48 and 50 yd FG) in the first half... sacked him once (only the 9th sack at home all season), and got 3 INTs... one of which Law delivered to the O on the 10yd line.

And considering the amount of time the O made the D stay on the field... I don't think you can fault this D too much.

They were on the field a lot and did a great job in the first half. No doubt. But, you've got to play an entire 4 quarters of football. In the 2nd half the Colts kicked their buts. Were they tired? Sure. Should they have stepped it up for all 4 quarters in the playoffs? Yes.

Rain Man
01-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Yep, if we had a gameplan on offense that was anywhere near competent (something that wasn't out of a pee wee football playbook), the halftime score would've been KC 7(at the very least), Indy 6. After that miserable performance, I'm almost ready to ride Herm out on a rail. Perhaps I'll calm down and give him the benefit of the doubt by next preseason. At this point, I'm still pissed at that joke of an offensive performance.

That's what kills me. By any reasonable viewpoint, we should've gone into halftime with a lead. It would have been an improbable lead and the announcers would have been expressing their wonderment, but it would've still been a lead.

When that field goal doinked off the upright, I knew we were doomed. The playoff gods hate Kansas City.

siberian khatru
01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
That's what kills me. By any reasonable viewpoint, we should've gone into halftime with a lead. It would have been an improbable lead and the announcers would have been expressing their wonderment, but it would've still been a lead.

When that field goal doinked off the upright, I knew we were doomed. The playoff gods hate Kansas City.

Missed FGs in four straight playoff games. By four different kickers.

Has to be a record.

Rain Man
01-10-2007, 09:34 AM

Has to be a record.

And not only that, but the streak is still alive. I fear that we're Cal Ripken at 1,200 games.

Fish
01-10-2007, 09:35 AM
They were on the field a lot and did a great job in the first half. No doubt. But, you've got to play an entire 4 quarters of football. In the 2nd half the Colts kicked their buts. Were they tired? Sure. Should they have stepped it up for all 4 quarters in the playoffs? Yes.

My point was... IMO the D did more than enough to keep us in the game. If our offense would have shown up at all.... and had one or two good long drives, then the defensive performance would have looked stellar.

Dartgod
01-10-2007, 09:36 AM
No defense is going to be effective in the 4th quarter after they have been on the field for 3/4ths of the first three.

Chiefnj
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
No defense is going to be effective in the 4th quarter after they have been on the field for 3/4ths of the first three.

With Herm's offense and his desire to simplify even more, they are going to have to learn how to play that way.

GoHuge
01-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I'd disagree with #4

And considering the amount of time the O made the D stay on the field... I don't think you can fault this D too much.I agree. What else do you want out of them? They kept Indy out of the endzone, got 3 turnovers, and never really gave up even when they saw all their efforts being wasted by the offense. Maybe this was the O geting back at them for all the years the D blew it. It had to be planned, they couldn't really be that horrible. The O was historically bad.

KCTitus
01-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I agree. What else do you want out of them?

Uhh, well for one...when Law got that INT, he should have scored, duh!

C-Mac
01-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh yeah....If I hear Herm making excuses again with the "we only had 18 plays" crap, I'm probably going to throw an object at the speaker.

Herm, maybe, just maybe, the reason you had only 18 offensive plays in the first half, and couldn't get a first down, was because the game plan was bad. If 90% of Chief fans can predict your first down offensive play, I'm guessing Indy's D Coord will have a pretty good idea.

Bingo :banghead:
"we only had 18 predictabe plays"

C-Mac
01-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Has to be a record.

No way, is this true? :eek:

milkman
01-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Uhh, well for one...when Law got that INT, he should have scored, duh!

Yeah, cut his useless ass!!

FAX
01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I can't tell if Herm is ...

A) An idiot
B) In complete denial
C) A pathological liar
D) Doesn't care what anybody thinks

But, something is wrong with a guy who insists repeatedly that the sky really is orangish green.

FAX

milkman
01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I can't tell if Herm is ...

A) An idiot
B) In complete denial
C) A pathological liar
D) Doesn't care what anybody thinks

But, something is wrong with a guy who insists repeatedly that the sky really is orangish green.

FAX

E.

FAX
01-10-2007, 10:33 AM
E.

Decoder ring lost. Unable to decipher post.

FAX

milkman
01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Decoder ring lost. Unable to decipher post.

FAX

E)All of the above.

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
You armchair coaches have no freakin idea what its like to be a player WHOSE WHOLE LIFE IS ON A PEDESTAL and everything they do on the field and off is either immortalized in the national headlines or their reputation is torn to shreds.

FAX
01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
E)All of the above.

You're probably right, Mr. milkman.

I'm very serious about his ability to repeatedly lie in public. He has a big problem with that. It's not good. It's highly likely that he has been invaded with some kind of confused, dark and embittered soul packet and will never make it back to the mother ship.

FAX

crazycoffey
01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I wanted to watch, but I just erased the tivo copy and watched some of the Networks replay. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it.

but from what I re-watched and from observations during the game, I agree with the thread poster, and echo many other thoughts about #4.

#1 has been a sore spot on my list for awhile. Makes no sense to take what a QB sees out of the game, even if we had Brodie in there. (I do realize that it would make more sense to restrict the young one in many cases, but point out - the sooner you take the training wheels of your kids bike the sooner you see him excel at something. After he gets himself hurt a time or two.)

FAX
01-10-2007, 10:42 AM
You armchair coaches have no freakin idea what its like to be a player WHOSE WHOLE LIFE IS ON A PEDESTAL and everything they do on the field and off is either immortalized in the national headlines or their reputation is torn to shreds.

What in God's name are you trying to say?

FAX

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 10:49 AM
What in God's name are you trying to say?

FAX

You actually care to know what I'm saying?

Really?

FAX
01-10-2007, 10:53 AM
You actually care to know what I'm saying?

Really?

Yep. I really, really do.

But, I'm warning you, Mr. Redrum_69. Come back with a mom joke and you're going on ignore.

FAX

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Yep. I really, really do.

But, I'm warning you, Mr. Redrum_69. Come back with a mom joke and you're going on ignore.

FAX

All I'm saying is that everyone here critiques the whole team, and has blamed everyone short of God for creating everything.

Fans are so quick to blame other people, players, and coaches.

Maybe, just maybe they should take a look at the big picture....but they dont, they never will. All anyone cares to look for is the bad in each person/player and coach....regardless of what the say or who they offend.

Yes winning is a great thing, but so the hell what if you lose. Not everyone is going to win or lose all the time. Maybe their are hidden agendas at work here. Maybe people can take off their blinders and instead of focusing on one thing...they can see the whole situation in front of them.

BIG_DADDY
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
The fact that we are running straight at 9 in the box is moronic.

Otter
01-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Redrum's Mom is like a pedestal, constantly sitting around waiting for someone to be on top of her.

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Redrum's Mom is like a pedestal, constantly sitting around waiting for someone to be on top of her.

Nice try, but the YOUR MOMS are getting old

Mr. Laz
01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I wanted to watch, but I just erased the tivo copy and watched some of the Networks replay. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it.

same here ... i just couldn't do it.

i sat there and glared at the tivo copy and then just deleted it.

couldn't do it, just couldn't do it. :shake:

FAX
01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
All I'm saying is that everyone here critiques the whole team, and has blamed everyone short of God for creating everything.

Fans are so quick to blame other people, players, and coaches.

Maybe, just maybe they should take a look at the big picture....but they dont, they never will. All anyone cares to look for is the bad in each person/player and coach....regardless of what the say or who they offend.

Yes winning is a great thing, but so the hell what if you lose. Not everyone is going to win or lose all the time. Maybe their are hidden agendas at work here. Maybe people can take off their blinders and instead of focusing on one thing...they can see the whole situation in front of them.

I think I understand what you're saying Mr. Redrum_69. Personally, I don't look for the "bad". I am proud to say that I am a "good" looker first and foremost.

And actually, I've thought about the "hidden agenda" theory, too. I considered the possibility that Herm does, in fact, have a plan and is just weathering a first/second year storm to build a team that is more competitive in the West and effective in the playoffs.

This would explain why he tunes out the complaints and blows off criticism. Because he knows what he's doing, where he's going, and he is the guy who can, not only construct a fearsome defense, but put a winning offense on the field who can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Then I cut back on the lortab and realized I had drooled on my tie.

FAX

Otter
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
6 words:

Thirteen years without a playoff win

BIG_DADDY
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM

FAX

LMAO

Mr. Laz
01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I think I understand what you're saying Mr. Redrum_69. Personally, I don't look for the "bad". I am proud to say that I am a "good" looker first and foremost.

And actually, I've thought about the "hidden agenda" theory, too. I considered the possibility that Herm does, in fact, have a plan and is just weathering a first/second year storm to build a team that is more competitive in the West and effective in the playoffs.

This would explain why he tunes out the complaints and blows off criticism. Because he knows what he's doing, where he's going, and he is the guy who can, not only construct a fearsome defense, but put a winning offense on the field who can play with anyone, anytime, anywhere.

FAX
ROFL

i nominate Mr. Fax for Favorite poster on ChiefsPlanet

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 11:12 AM

FAX

Yes and no....but youre in the ballpark

How many years did the average fan plan on giving Herm? I bet they thought since KC had a high powered offense last year and the following year...Herm would be able to come in and get the team to the super bowl. I didnt happen...The stars alligned and allowed us too sneak into the Playoffs. WE GOT LUCKY.

I gave Herm THree years...YES THREE....one to test out the defense...and he brought them out of the gutter...now this year he can work on the offense and tweak the defense some more..which he will.

The third year...the puzzles will fit.

Just be patient.....My God...First year coach and everyone is calling to fire Herm.

Question is...do all those asshats that said "Lamar Hunt had something to do with this" when the Chiefs backdoored their way into the playoffs..feel like shit or do they just sweep their comments under the rug...thinking and hoping that everyone forgot?

Brock
01-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Question is...do all those asshats that said "Lamar Hunt had something to do with this" when the Chiefs backdoored their way into the playoffs..feel like shit or do they just sweep their comments under the rug...thinking and hoping that everyone forgot?

WTF is wrong with saying that? Or is this just part of the act?

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
WTF is wrong with saying that? Or is this just part of the act?

You honestly think a persons death allowed them into the playoffs?

So now that they lost...then what???

Brock
01-10-2007, 11:19 AM

OK, I'm going to go ahead and pretend you really didn't know what people meant by that. It was a sentimental reference to Lamar Hunt's spirit pulling some strings from the afterlife to bring about the unlikely event of the Chiefs making the playoffs. The fact that they lost doesn't really enter into the equation.

Is that simplified enough for you?

B_Ambuehl
01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I gave Herm THree years...YES THREE....one to test out the defense...and he brought them out of the gutter...now this year he can work on the offense and tweak the defense some more..which he will.

Some have already seen enough. Herm made this offense easily look like the worst offense in the NFL and it's only one piece removed from being the same offense that led the NFL in '04 and '05. That's how inept the guy is on offense. He can do whatever he wants to on the defensive side of the ball....best case scenario is he turns this team into the Ravens of '
02-05.

Reerun_KC
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
The Team lost because the coach let them down with a total moronic game plan....

FAX
01-10-2007, 11:27 AM
... Just be patient.....My God...First year coach and everyone is calling to fire Herm.

So you're in the Be Patient Camp. Me too, Mr. Redrum_69.

I have staked out a claim in Be Patient Camp, built a nice fire, raised a tent, and made myself a cryroom where I've spent December and January for the last 40 years or so.

Personally I think Herm should have left the offense alone. Period. Hired an OC who could have run the O if Solari couldn't and found us a friggin' LT. Now, however, that is pee water under the bridge of despair as Mr. Baby Lee would say.

As for the Lamar issue, I think that spirits can make kickers miss but they can't call plays. That's just my opinion, though.

FAX

crazycoffey
01-10-2007, 11:28 AM

:Poke: are there any smilies about stiring the pot?

http://mud.mm-a5.yimg.com/image/3108722916 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtoZIqVFvTkAAQ6JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBwZGxwOGs2BHBvcwMzBHNlYwNzcgR2dGlkA0kwMDFfNzA-/SIG=1feocft2f/EXP=1168536473/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo.com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fp%253Dpot%252Bstirr ing%2526ei%253DUTF-8%2526fr%253Dlo%2526b%253D1%26w=480%26h=304%26imgurl=www.krampus.com%252Fimages%252Fkrampus_stirring _the_pot.jpg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.krampus.com%252Fkrampus_collage.html%26size=40.3kB%26name =krampus_stirring_the_pot.jpg%26p=pot%2bstirring%26type=jpeg%26no=3%26tt=577%26oid=fa6aa93c7894ec7c% 26ei=UTF-8)

RJ
01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Isnt that the drive they converted that 3rd and 18? Ugh...3rd and 10+ really killed KC this year. I'd be willing to bet that 3rd and 15 conversions were over 60% against KC.

I don't know what the % was but I do know that I never felt confident the D would hold up on 3rd and long. In fact, I usually felt the opposite, I'd be pissed when it happened but not surprised.

crazycoffey
01-10-2007, 11:35 AM
So you're in the Be Patient Camp. Me too, Mr. Redrum_69.

I have staked out a claim in Be Patient Camp, built a nice fire, raised a tent, and made myself a cryroom where I've spent December and January for the last 40 years or so.

Personally I think Herm should have left the offense alone. Period. Hired an OC who could have run the O if Solari couldn't and found us a friggin' LT. Now, however, that is pee water under the bridge of dispair as Mr. Baby Lee would say.

As for the Lamar issue, I think that spirits can make kickers miss but they can't call plays. That's just my opinion, though.

FAX

pee water under the bridge, good one

I brought the marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers to make some lovely smoores with fax and Redrum. Two guys I like very much in this virtual society. I too have been saying it's too soon for firing Herm. I too think it's just a game, I too think we need an OT or two the most above all other needs, even OC, though Mike should be demoted back to line coach, IMHO.

Can't we all just get along?

ct
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Herm will get 4 years, whether we like it or not.

The defense has improved. This is a fact, and quite an encouraging one.

The offense has regressed. This also is a fact, and while predictable due to losing Roaf and TRich, and our HC's historical patterns, is still quite infuriating. Can Herm and Solari learn from this Wild Card debacle? I believe so, but that's just my opinion.

The O-Line must be rebuilt, with perhaps only 1 piece remaining from the glory years - Brian Waters. This in itself will take at least 2 years, IMHO. Our QB from the glory years is not the same player, and won't be here to see the rebuilt O-Line, but LJ will. I believe Gonzo will be as well. New WRs will be in place and learning by this time.

We have 2 young DEs, LBs, and Safeties. Immediate DTs and prospect CBs are imperitive to continue the defensive improvement.

All is not lost Chiefs fans!! Next year might be painful, but the rebuilding has already begun.

HemiEd
01-10-2007, 11:47 AM
More power to you. I couldn't sit through that again.

I have it recorded as well, not sure I will ever watch it. Wife asked me last night if I wanted to delete it, told I might want to watch it this summer when the pain has subsided.

Baby Lee
01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Some have already seen enough. Herm made this offense easily look like the worst offense in the NFL and it's only one piece removed from being the same offense that led the NFL in '04 and '05. That's how inept the guy is on offense. He can do whatever he wants to on the defensive side of the ball....best case scenario is he turns this team into the Ravens of '
02-05.
Which piece was that?

The best LT ever?
The best FB the Chiefs ever had?
A healthy and lucid QB?
The pass blocking, swing pass catching, take it to the house co-RB?
The mountain of a TE who allowed Gonzo to run free down the seam?

Or is that all one big piece, perhaps better termed a hunk, or chunk of the O?

milkman
01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
All is not lost Chiefs fans!! Next year might be painful, but the rebuilding has already begun.

If I really thought that were true, I'd be happy about it.

But I fully expect Carl to overpay for some has been free agents and trade away a drft pick or two for another over the hill vet to try and keep this team competitive.

Thus will the cycle of mediocrity continue.

RJ
01-10-2007, 11:55 AM

It's not really so unusual for people to think that. I'm sure most of us have various rituals for Chiefs games that we think bring luck....sit in a certain chair, wear this hat, don't wear that shirt, wear your Chiefs thong backwards and inside out, the usual stuff. And of course there's always God and prayer. So I wouldn't get too worked up about folks attributing some good fortune in making the playoffs to Lamar Hunt, it's a natural enough reaction considering all the other goofy stuff football fans do.

HemiEd
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
It's not really so unusual for people to think that. I'm sure most of us have various rituals for Chiefs games that we think bring luck....sit in a certain chair, wear this hat, don't wear that shirt, wear your Chiefs thong backwards and inside out, the usual stuff. And of course there's always God and prayer. So I wouldn't get too worked up about folks attributing some good fortune in making the playoffs to Lamar Hunt, it's a natural enough reaction considering all the other goofy stuff football fans do.

You would not believe how many times I changed clothes during Saturdays mess.
The sweat pants got us a TD!

Easy 6
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Agreed on all counts.

Yep, that game was on anybody but the D.

ChiefsLV
01-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Number 3 is what bothers me most. I mentioned it several times the day of the game and I don't think people wanted to listen.

Waters played that game as if he didn't care. I honestly think he's a good player, but I wouldn't shed a tear if they cut him after that.

The crazy thing is, if you watch the NFL Replay airing of the game, you see Waters in the pregame in the Ray Lewis role. He's leading the huddle and telling everyone how they have to play their best because it's the playoffs and they need to be accountable and play their best for the team.

Then he goes out and has a game like that.

It didn't even dawn on me that the Chiefs QB's haven't been able to audible this year. I guess I was so caught up in run, run, pass, I didn't notice. How can you not be able to audible out of a play when the defense clearly knows what you are doing? Oh, that's right, Herm wants to play into the hands of the defense. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Sigh.

Easy 6
01-11-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd disagree with #4