PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Home Field Advatage Gone Too Far?

Stinger
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Chargers shut out Pats fans
Only Southern Calif. residents to get seats

By Bruce Mohl, Globe Staff | January 10, 2007

The San Diego Chargers are trying to solidify their home-field advantage against the New England Patriots Sunday by restricting the sale of tickets to Southern California residents only.

Several Patriots fans who went looking for game tickets on Ticketmaster were stunned to learn that their money was no good.

"The San Diego Chargers have restricted sales to the Divisional Playoff game to residents of Southern California and the surrounding area only," Ticketmaster warned. "Residency will be based on your credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside of southern California will be canceled without notice."

Lynda Frank , a Patriots fan from Tewksbury, thought the sales restriction is unfair, if not outright illegal.

"Who do they think they are?" she asked. "Our reputation must have somehow preceded us and made us part of the fear factor associated with our team at playoff time."

Fair or unfair?

Bill Johnston , a Chargers spokesman, said about 1,000 tickets went on sale Monday and sold within minutes.

"Our goal has always been to fill our stadium with Charger fans and supporters of the team. This also helps give our team the best home-field advantage possible," he said.

Johnston said the same ticket policy will be employed if the Chargers defeat the Patriots and advance to the American Football Conference title game. The hometown-fan-only restriction was not in place for regular season games of the Chargers.

The Chicago Bears also restricted sales to the team's game this Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks to fans from Illinois and northwest Indiana.

Greg Aiello , a National Football League spokesman, said he is not aware of how many teams restrict ticket sales to local fans. "There is no league policy that would prohibit it," he said.

Ticket industry officials said tickets are revocable licenses issued at the discretion of a team or venue.

Lawyers consulted by the Globe said such sales would be legal unless specifically prohibited . Excluding minorities or women from ticket purchases, for example, would raise legal problems because there are laws against discrimination of such groups.

Officials with the Patriots said they received a handful of complaints from fans about the Chargers' ticket restriction. Stacey James , the team spokesman, said the Patriots have never restricted ticket sales to their games.

"There's certainly logic to it," he said. "No team wants to fill their stadium with fans from the other team."

The only other option for Patriots fans wanting to see the game in San Diego is to buy tickets from a ticket reseller, but the prices are steep. Ace Ticket of Boston yesterday was selling $95 upper-level seats for $285. StubHub Inc. of San Francisco yesterday listed $95 end-zone upper-level seats for prices ranging from $214 to $295.

"Tickets are available. We have been getting lots of calls, and it seems to be a fair amount of Patriots fans are going to the game," said Jim Holzman , president of Ace.

Frank, the Patriots fan, said she doesn't think the hometown ticket restriction will do the Chargers any good because the Patriots play so well on the road. The team this season is 7-1 away from home.

Frank's prediction for Sunday? Patriots 35, Chargers 21.
Bruce Mohl can be reached at mohl@globe.com.

LINK (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/10/chargers_shut_out_pats_fans/)

Sure-Oz
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
That is pretty stupid, half the stadium will be empty now.

jynni
01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
God...I hope the Patriots pound their asses...

Mecca
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
That's pretty smart actually....

Hydrae
01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I am amazed they would be able to find that many people in southern California interested in going even if it is the playoffs. It's not like they sell out on a regular basis even without this restriction.

Phobia
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm sure the local tourist industry will certainly be in the Chargers' court for any future political considerations.

Can you imagine how angry you'd be if you were a local hotel depending on the revenue generated by visiting fans? Taxi? Restaurant?

BucEyedPea
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Well, there seems to be lingering doubt in their team if they have to do that. LMAO

Kerberos
01-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Actually I could care less about who gets tickets and who doesn't.

As much as I don't like the Bolts I would rather see them advance to the next round before the PATS.

I guess I'm just tire of hearing how fuggin great the patriots and tom brady and bill bilichick are.

Let the Chargers have Baltimore or the Colts in the championship game and THEN get beat. Which should happen anyway if the CURSE of Marty stays its course!

Buck
01-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, well thats pretty dumb, but there were only less than 1000 tickets available to the public so its not like its gonna matter.

jynni
01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
In the long run it could just drive up the price of scalper tickets, which in turn might make the Bolt fans a little more eager to sell their tickets...

Drunk
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I am amazed they would be able to find that many people in southern California interested in going even if it is the playoffs. It's not like they sell out on a regular basis even without this restriction.
The stadium has been sold out for the last two years straight. Not THAT big of an accomplishment, but its a start.

FringeNC
01-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Idiots. Patriot fans would just assume the game was sold out and get their tickets on ebay anyway...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=patriots+chargers+tickets&category0=&submitSearch=Search

Drunk
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Idiots. Patriot fans would just assume the game was sold out and get their tickets on ebay anyway...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=patriots+chargers+tickets&category0=&submitSearch=Search
Why is that idiotic? It would be idiotic NOT to give the remaining thousand tickets to SD residents.

Spott
01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Patriots will expose Marty this weekend.

Redrum_69
01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Patriots will expose Marty this weekend.

I think Greg Hills wife/girlfriend already did that

Buck
01-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Just think of it this way. Season Ticket Holders got 95% of the tickets. This leaves only a few percent for the other fans who do not have season tickets, so the Chargers wanted their own fans to get first dibs on the remaining tickets.

Spott
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I think Greg Hills wife/girlfriend already did that
ROFL

Drunk
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
"Bill Johnston , a Chargers spokesman, said about 1,000 tickets went on sale Monday and sold within minutes"

jspchief
01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
All that does is drive up the price for scalpers.

FringeNC
01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Why is that idiotic? It would be idiotic NOT to give the remaining thousand tickets to SD residents.

Idiotic if they think it is going to affect the number of Patriot fans there...

Ari Chi3fs
01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
My Temporary Team is the Pats. Thanks Simplex. I will root hard for them!

StcChief
01-10-2007, 04:44 PM
The Charger fans will cash in on this.....

Drunk
01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Idiotic if they think it is going to affect the number of Patriot fans there...
Exactly. The patsy fans can get tickets from brokers. I dont know why people are b*tching over a thousand tickets.

dirk digler
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
The Pats fans shouldn't worry I don't think there is 1,000 real Chargers fans in the world.

:)

Drunk
01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
The Pats fans shouldn't worry I don't think there is 1,000 real Chargers fans in the world.

Newflash, the world is bigger than Clinton, Mo.

Fuggin mullet wearing fruitcake.

crazycoffey
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
the comment about legality though, every business reserves the right to refuse your business/money everywhere you go. So if they want to do that then ok. I'm surprised that NE fans are complaining, I thought they did that a few years ago.

Halfcan
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
That will be 1000 more Charger fans there to see them choke.

screwyouguys
01-10-2007, 05:03 PM

Your right dirky, there isn't 1,000 Chargers fans in the world.

There are MILLIONS

Drunk
01-10-2007, 05:05 PM
That will be 1000 more Charger fans there to see them choke.
Nope, ive been choking marty all week. that way its out of his system by sunday!

TinyEvel
01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Just ANOTHER reason for em to hate the Bolts and their fans.

All it means is Pats fans will ge their tickets thru Scalpers (brokers) or eBarf. That's the best place to get them anyway, if you can afford it. The only NFL tickets on Ticketschiester have a better view of the parking lot than the game.
:cuss:

Ari Chi3fs
01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
For those Charger fans, who have yet to witness....

http://timecheeze.com/2006/12/18/san-diego-chargers-and-marty-prepare-for-patented-playoff-meltdown/

Fruit Ninja
01-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Go Marty, i can care less about the Bolts, but i would like to Marty get his ring then tell the Chargers **** you, i am done.

jspchief
01-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I think it deserves mention that the Patriots aren't any better when it comes to cheap methods to gain an edge.

It was only a year or two ago that they chose to not cover their field for a week of bad weather so it would be shitty for the Colts to play on.

Say what you will about the Chiefs, but at least our homefield advantage isn't fabricated.

Cochise
01-10-2007, 08:57 PM
This or not covering the field... all's fair I guess. You get home field for the advantage.

I heard the Giants used to open or close the doors on the aisles at the Meadowlands during kicks according to whoever they thought the wind would benefit. I don't think the league made them stop, and that's more direct than any of this.