PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Choose to Master Bates

Stinger
01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Er... I mean Mr. Bates

Broncos to hire Bates to direct defense

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
January 10, 2007

With other teams circling Broncos coach Mike Shanahan moved quickly to find Larry Coyer's replacement to run the team's defense.

Former Miami Dolphins and Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates is expected to be named assistant head coach/defense in the coming days, possibly as soon as Thursday, according to sources.

Broncos secondary coach Bob Slowik, who was also a candidate to fill the position is expected to be given the title of defensive coordinator as well. The Broncos have a similar arrangement on offense with Mike Heimerdinger as assistant head coach and Rick Dennison as offensive coordinator.

Contacted earlier Wednesday Bates said he did not want to discuss the job in Denver specifically, but only offered "we'll see what happens . . . but I'm pretty busy trying to see what's out there and might be right.''
Bates' son, Jeremy, is already an offensive assistant on the Broncos staff.

Coyer was fired this week, with a year remaining on his contract, after four years as the Broncos defensive chief. Defensive line coach Andre Patterson was also let go after just two seasons in Denver.

Bates took this past season off when Mike McCarthy was named Green Bay's coach last January after Bates had interviewed for the job as well.

Bates went 3-4 as Dolphins interim coach when Dave Wannstedt resigned nine games into the 2004 season with Miami at 1-8. Bates, who has often publicly expressed his desire to be a head coach, was hoping to be considered for the Dolphins head coaching job to replace Nick Saban, and had the public backing of some of the Dolphins players, but was not among the 12 candidates the Dolphins have already interviewed for the position.

Bates preaches sound fundamentals defensive and has traditionally favored a 4-3 look on defense, with cornerbacks locked up in coverage and with a safety down near the line of scrimmage to fill the lanes in run defense at times. When he does take chances, they usually come on third down.

Bates usually prefers to rush four and create pressure with his defensive linemen, which is the way the Broncos had hoped to play this past season. In his last stint as a coordinator, Bates blitzed at least one player 30.9 percent of the passing snaps with the Packers in 2005 and rushed at least six players on 12.5 percent of the snaps that year.
Those figures are higher than what he routinely did as Dolphins coordinator, according to several pro personnel executives contacted Wednesday night.

San Francisco coach Mike Nolan is also searching for a defensive coordinator and was known to be interested in Bates as well.
The Broncos led the league in scoring defense after six games in '06 and at that point in the year the team was 5-1 and had surrendered just 272 yards per game. However, by the end of the season they had fallen to 14th in total defense, allowing 326.4 yards per game including 359.2 yards per game over the last 10.

They finished with just 35 sacks.

The Broncos also surrendered leads of at least eight points in home losses to Indianapolis, San Diego, Seattle and San Francisco over their last five games at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Pete Rodriguez, whom Shanahan previously tried to hire as defensive coordinator and was fired earlier this month by the Jacksonville Jaguars, could be hired to be the teamís special teams coach.

Rodriguez is considered one of the best special-teams coaches in the league.

Zimmerman a Hall finalist:

Former Broncos tackle Gary Zimmerman is one of 17 finalists for the 2007 class for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Up to six people will be chosen for induction Feb. 3 at a meeting of the Board of Selectors in Miami, Fla.

Zimmerman was the only Broncos player among the finalists. Former Broncos running back Terrell Davis and linebacker Randy Gradishar were among those to make the cut to 25, but did not receive enough votes to be finalists.

Also among the finalists are; Paul Tagliabue, Thurman Thomas, Michael Irvin, Bruce Matthews, former Cleveland Browns guard Gene Hickerson and Detroit Lions tight end Charlie Sanders, defensive ends Fred Dean and Richard Dent; guards Russ Grimm and Bob Kuechenberg; punter Ray Guy; wide receivers Art Monk and Andre Reed; linebackers Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett; and cornerback Roger Wehrli.

Sanders and Hickerson were seniors committee nominees.
legwoldj@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-2359

Count Alex's Wins
01-10-2007, 11:31 PM
DOOM!

Mecca
01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
He was in Green Bay for 1 year....and they ranked in the top 10 that year.

FAX
01-11-2007, 12:25 AM
I know very little about this guy other than what it says here.

Is this a very bad thing?

FAX

SNR
01-11-2007, 12:30 AM
He'll do a good job rebuilding the defensive line. If there's one crown to the Packers defense, it's their line.

SNR
01-11-2007, 12:32 AM
I know very little about this guy other than what it says here.

Is this a very bad thing?

FAXI'd rather have him than Gunther Cunningham.

Then again, I'd rather have Kurt Schottenheimer over Gunther.

el borracho
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Ah, crap. This article leads me to believe the Donks will swoop a Dlineman out from under us in the upcoming draft.

Vaquero Amarillo
01-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Why should anybody give a flying ****?

Where's the Oakland Raiders head coach search thread?

SPchief
01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Why should anybody give a flying ****?

Where's the Oakland Raiders head coach search thread?

:spock:

BigRock
01-11-2007, 04:41 AM
He was in Green Bay for 1 year....and they ranked in the top 10 that year.
This was only last season, and all the Packers fans I know were complaining about their D last year. And for a lot of a years, but that's beside the point.

They ranked in the top 10 in yards in '05, but they had a scoring defense worse than ours (they were 19th). They probably had a bunch of short fields to defend with all Farve's picks, so there were less yards to give up. They did have the 1st ranked pass defense, but faced the 2nd fewest pass attempts in the league... probably due to their rush defense being ranked in the mid 20's. And non-NFL rankings like the DVOA pegged them as pretty mediocre.

Either way, it's not like teams were throwing money at him when he left Green Bay.

Amnorix
01-11-2007, 08:28 AM
That sucks. He was great as DC in Miami. :(

sedated
01-11-2007, 08:37 AM
That sucks. He was great as DC in Miami. :(

agreed.

he did a great job as interim HC, too. the players liked him so much they begged ownership to make him the HC for next season.

DaKCMan AP
01-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Damn. That's a good hire. Sucks.

shaneo69
01-11-2007, 10:38 AM
So he was unemployed in 2006?

Prodigal19
01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
So he was unemployed in 2006?
yes, and he decided that he wanted to coach again.

some info from the denver post

"Bates sat out the 2006 season by choice, turning down a few opportunities to coach in the NFL. This week, Bates said he is interested in coming back to the league. Bates was the defensive coordinator for Green Bay in 2005. He left the Packers after they hired Mike McCarthy as head coach. The Packers seriously considered hiring Bates as their coach but wanted an offensive mind to work with quarterback Brett Favre. Bates finished the 2004 season as Miami's interim coach. He had a chance to stay with the Dolphins, on Nick Saban's staff, but opted to join the Packers. Bates has been a coach for 37 years and has spent 14 years in the NFL.

Bates, 60, is known for using an aggressive, 4-3 defense that centers on fast linebackers. That would be a perfect fit in Denver, with Al Wilson, Ian Gold and D.J. Williams widely considered one of the league's fastest units. Bates also believes in a strong pass rush from the defensive ends and a collapsing attack from his defensive tackles. In Miami and Green Bay, several players made significant improvements while playing under Bates, who is known for his fiery and enthusiastic approach to coaching.

Adding to the appeal of the Denver job for Bates is his son, Jeremy, an offensive assistant with the Broncos. Another son, James, lives in Boulder. "

Amnorix
01-11-2007, 02:19 PM
FWIW, Belichick spoke highly of Bates. I know he speaks highly of everyone, but after 7 years of him as coach, you can figure out when it's just the usual snow job, and when he really respects someone's ability.

I say it again -- this sucks and I'm not happy.

rtmike
01-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I was worried this would happen when I heard Dunver was interested.
Bates is a good coach and should be an improvement.

NJ Chief Fan
01-13-2007, 06:59 PM
DAMMIT CARL!

Mile High Mania
01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, at least Amnorix isn't happy.

HerculesRockefell
01-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Looks like they signed Atlanta's DL coach today and are trying get Pete Rodriquez to coach the special teams. Rodriquez is regarded as the best ST coach in the league.