PDA

View Full Version : "Man vs. Wild" vs. "Survivorman"

Silock
01-11-2007, 05:23 AM
In an all-out survival challenge, who would win?

My vote goes to Survivorman. Sure, the other dude served in the special forces, but come on . . . he's got a damn camera crew following him around everywhere he goes. That makes it really hard to take him seriously when he says stuff like "I'm all alone, and it's really getting to me." I also got pissed when I saw an episode where he was supposed to be floating down a river using only his backpack, but they showed a shot where he was wearing a freaking float vest. Bad form.

Survivorman, on the other hand, actually puts himself out there, and he lugs around all the camera equipment with him. He sets up the shot himself and does his crazy stuff. Plus, if you saw the episode where he was in the life raft out at sea, yeah, he had a sat phone, but he lost complete contact with his rescue boat for 6 hours, so if he had had a problem, he would have been completely screwed.

So, what say you? Does anyone watch these shows besides me?

chagrin
01-11-2007, 05:54 AM
Does anyone watch these shows besides me?

No

Over-Head
01-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Why would any "sane" person want to be dropped out in the middle of no where and force yourself to "survive" just because you can?

chagrin
01-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Why would any "sane" person want to be dropped out in the middle of no where and force yourself to "survive" just because you can?

"His name is bear, and he's cummin to Discovery"

the guy who announces the show has a man crush on the guy, and because of that only I refuse to watch it, and any other survival show

Stewie
01-11-2007, 06:16 AM
I prefer Survivorman for the reason you stated (he's actually all alone). It's the only "reality" show I watch because I do alot of backpacking in the Rockies and find his survival techniques interesting.

chagrin
01-11-2007, 06:19 AM
I prefer Survivorman for the reason you stated (he's actually all alone). It's the only "reality" show I watch because I do alot of Fudge Packing in the Rockies and find his survival techniques interesting.

FYP - LMAO

Silock
01-11-2007, 06:24 AM

Because they get paid for it?

KCTitus
01-11-2007, 06:26 AM
I like both shows, I just wished there were more episodes of Survivorman...

They both really struggled in the Costa Rican jungle...that's not a place I want to be

Silock
01-11-2007, 06:29 AM
I like both shows, I just wished there were more episodes of Survivorman...

They both really struggled in the Costa Rican jungle...that's not a place I want to be

Yeah... Survivorman started out on the beach, and if he'd stayed there, it would have been much easier to survive. But the show wouldn't have been nearly as funny :)

jspchief
01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
I've not seen survivorman, but man vs wild is a pretty good show.

Chiefs_Fan
01-11-2007, 06:50 AM
never herd of it

trndobrd
01-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Is this something on that "TV" thing everyone is talking about?

Easy 6
01-11-2007, 07:19 AM
I love both of these shows, hardly ever miss them. I think they gave Les Stroud the axe in favor of Bear though, i havent seen a new Survivorman in months. The things you learn in both of these shows can literally save your life.

As far as Bears show, i'll tell ya who has it rough...the cameraman, he has to do all the same crap except with a camera on his shoulder.

If i had to choose it would be Stroud because if some animal got ahold of him or something happened, he could very well be fooked.

Silock
01-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Survivorman has new episodes on the Science Channel, which is owned by Discovery, but I'm not sure if they put his stuff on Discovery or not. I just watch it off of the DVR, and I don't really know where it comes from.

Easy 6
01-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Survivorman has new episodes on the Science Channel, which is owned by Discovery, but I'm not sure if they put his stuff on Discovery or not. I just watch it off of the DVR, and I don't really know where it comes from.

He used to be on Discovery, looks like they chose MvsW instead. I dont have the Science channel, oh well Bear does some pretty cool chit too.

Silock
01-11-2007, 07:25 AM
The only bad thing about these shows is that there are only so many places they can drop you off and have you survive until they simply run out.

wilas101
01-11-2007, 07:28 AM
I like both shows as well. I watch them with my 9 year old. He loves them because they both eat some crazy stuff. Maggots, grubs, rats, etc.

The cool thing is that the shows actually made an impression on him. He would never eat fish (simply because he was a kid and convinced himself he didn't like it). He came in the other day and wanted me to go buy some fish so he could try it. His logic was that if Bear could eat them raw he could eat one cooked.

For the record... I prefer Survivorman as well because of the "alone" factor. I did notice, though, that one of the Man vs. Wild episodes opened with a narrative by Bear about how the crew was with him but they were not allowed to intervene except in a life threatening emergency. Take that for what its worth.

wilas101
01-11-2007, 07:31 AM
He used to be on Discovery, looks like they chose MvsW instead. I dont have the Science channel, oh well Bear does some pretty cool chit too.

I will give Bear some credit. Where the dude on Survivorman simply survives because he's on his own Bear will put himself in f'd up situations to demonstrate something. Case in point being the lake in the French Alps. I gave him an A+ for dedication to his craft on that episode. Crew or not... that water would have been COLD.

Simplex3
01-11-2007, 07:38 AM
I've not seen survivorman, but man vs wild is a pretty good show.
Survivorman would kick his ass.

Chief Chief
01-11-2007, 07:39 AM
I like both shows as well. I watch them with my 9 year old. He loves them because they both eat some crazy stuff. Maggots, grubs, rats, etc.

Your son then would get a big kick out of watching me eat a hairy camel toe!

wilas101
01-11-2007, 07:42 AM

lol

I'm not sure which is worse... that you suggested it or that you think about having 9 year olds watch you eat nasty chicks.

ILikeBigTiddys
01-11-2007, 08:17 AM

Oh snap! :clap:

Furthermore, check this out. All of this is spot on.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2161971848/m/8671946758

JBucc
01-11-2007, 08:23 AM

I think the Sierra Nevada show where he tries to capture and ride a wild horse. I am not an expert in much of anything.. but I do kwow that wild horses generally do not wear metal shoes.

LMAO

KCTitus
01-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I will give Bear some credit. Where the dude on Survivorman simply survives because he's on his own Bear will put himself in f'd up situations to demonstrate something. Case in point being the lake in the French Alps. I gave him an A+ for dedication to his craft on that episode. Crew or not... that water would have been COLD.

yeah, when he simulated a fall into water from thin ice, that was pretty crazy. I didnt think rubbing snow on your wet body would, help, but apparently Bear said otherwise.

Stroud did a couple of days in northern canada simulating a plane crash with a sling, but gave it up after a couple of days.

I think Les Stoud's best one was in the bayou...sleeping at the waters edge with nothing more than a fire...uhhh..no.

trndobrd
01-11-2007, 08:45 AM
How about Survivorman in South Central L.A. on April 29th

Easy 6
01-11-2007, 08:50 AM

Some people will bitch about anything, sure a lot of it is set up ahead of time, its a tv show with a production schedule, they cant just stay out there for a month waiting for the right circumstances to come about.

The show is just trying to give people useful ideas for hypothetical scenarios. I would bet $$$ that the guys whining on that site are UBER pencil necks whos idea of a tough adventure is driving through the bad side of town.

I took survival courses throughout my time in the ARMY & most if not all of his ideas are useful, whether planned in advance or not.

Ari Chi3fs
01-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Survivorman is one of the best shows on TV. Les is amazing... funny, smart, McGyverish all in one. Plus having to do a lot of that shit twice, since he has to tape himself, first.. then walk back and get gear.

Definitely great show. Have not seen Man vs Wild

noa
01-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Man vs. Wild is awesome. I haven't seen Survivorman, but I want to.
My favorite highlights from Man vs. Wild: Drinking liquid from elephant dung in Africa, getting out of quicksand in Costa Rica, catching and eating salmon in Alaska, climbing a 30 foot wall of rock without any ropes in the dessert, catching and eating a live snake (can't remember where), surviving freezing water in both Alaska and the French Alps.

Another aspect of the show I like is his knowledge of plant life. He uses some plants as straws to drink water, others to burn to keep away mosquitoes, and others to eat to stop diarrhea.

Jr_Captain
01-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll stick with Dirty Jobs only because I haven't seen these other two.

Iowanian
01-11-2007, 10:59 AM
I like both shows.

its not about "why would you do that"....its supposed to be "this is what can help you IF you find yourself in this situation".

Plane crashes, car breakdowns, get lost on an elk hunt.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Survivorman is a mixture of Chuck Norris and McGyver. Plus, he survived in the wilderness for over a year in the arctic north, IIRC. Check out Les' Wiki page for confirmation, though.

88TG88
01-11-2007, 11:57 AM
man v wild is pretty good only because one time he ate elephant sh!t.

Simplex3
01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I'll stick with Dirty Jobs only because I haven't seen these other two.
Best show ever.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Survivorman is a great show

KChiefer
01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Les is da MAN!!!

I liked when he was in the swamp and he gigged a frog and then used the guts of the frog to catch a turtle.

I can't comment on Man vs Wild as I haven't seen it. Today though, I turned on the TV to find 'I Shouldn't be Alive'. My first thought was, "What's this 'Survivorman' rip off." They use ppls personal accounts of being stranded, and then show how they should have done it differently. IIRC, I saw an episode of this where Les was showing how someone should trek through the snow if ones car dies.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I have seen man vs. wild once. It was a good show BUT....as stated Les carries his own camera equipment. When you see shots of him climbing a hill or walking away or whatever he has to go back and get the camera which means he is doing a lot of things twice.

Oregon chief
01-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Bear is a bad ass! The other guy cant do crap.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 12:19 PM

Can't do crap? Explain a little of what he can't do please?

KcMizzou
01-11-2007, 12:26 PM
What channel(s) are these on? Discovery?

Stewie
01-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Survivorman is on Science Channel. I think Wild is on Discovery.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 12:33 PM
What channel(s) are these on? Discovery?

yes

Stewie
01-11-2007, 12:39 PM
yes

Survivorman is on Science Channel which is owned by Discovery. They may show reruns on Discovery, but new shows are here:

http://science.discovery.com/convergence/survivorman/survivorman.html

petegz28
01-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Survivorman is on Science Channel which is owned by Discovery. They may show reruns on Discovery, but new shows are here:

http://science.discovery.com/convergence/survivorman/survivorman.html

whatever sheesh....I have thema ll and watch them all....mmmmk?

Iowanian
01-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah....MvW guy would use Survivorman's body cavity to keep his hands from frostbite in a blizzard.

He's a former Special Forces guy......C'mon.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh yeah....MvW guy would use Survivorman's body cavity to keep his hands from frostbite in a blizzard.

He's a former Special Forces guy......C'mon.

Then why don't he carry his own camera equipment like the sissy Surivorman?

Iowanian
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
He has to have a crew for environmental reasons. You see, when he's scaling sheer cliffs, sliding down dangling vines like Tarzan, and climbing up coconut trees in a single bound, the fact that he wears boxers, his steel balls slap together arcing and causing random fires throughout his journey.

Silock
01-11-2007, 04:12 PM

You do know that Bear doesn't actually do most of the stuff the show claims he does, right?

Easy 6
01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
You do know that Bear doesn't actually do most of the stuff the show claims he does, right?

Where did you get that info??? Seems like most of it is right there on tape(or digital, whatever) for all to see.

Silock
01-11-2007, 04:27 PM
There's a link a few posts up.