PDA

View Full Version : Who Was Last Chiefs Coach With Winning Record In Their 1st Year?

petegz28
01-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Ok before you all start bashing away on Herm it seems I remember the last coach to have a winning record their 1st year was Gun. If I am mistaken and it was his second year then we really need to go back because I don't think Marty did.

King DV didn't either.

Cut Herm some slack. Some...not a lot but some. He didn't have Roaf, T-Rich or Saunders. He had a hurt QB, I-65 and Wilson at FB. And still went 9-7.

One could say he got the most out of what he had to work with. You guys slam him for the offense and Clevelan but Cleveland wasn't the offense's fault.

I we can give Solari another year Herm is surely deserving of that. His 1st draft started out as the best draft we have had in recent memory.

tk13
01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Marty went 8-7-1 his first year. Gun had a winning record but missed the playoffs because of that last Oakland game. Vermeil had a losing record, but that probably was a bit different, we had a ton of dead money that year because of all the bad contracts Carl had handed out. (McGlockton, etc).... that was probably the closest thing to a rebuilding year since Carl took over.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Marty went 8-7-1 his first year.

Ok I couldn't remember. I thought it was 7-8.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2007, 01:53 PM
The last? Gunther. 9-7.

ChiefsCountry
Herm, Gun, Marty was 8-7-1 and Hank Stram all had winning records as a first year head coach.

Fish
Herm raped my mother.... and killed my father!!![/idiot n00bs]

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Herm raped my mother.... and killed my father!!![/idiot n00bs]

Is your father Terry Shea? ROFL

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Herm saved my life...and my marriage!

petegz28
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I think my point is that King DV didn't do it. King DV got us no where with the #1 offense.

FAX
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Herm keeps baby fruit bats in his basement freezer.

FAX

Fish
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Herm said in his presser that he preferred WPI over Chiefsplanet....

FringeNC
01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
When is the last time a new coach inherited a 10-6 team? Ya know, new coaches typically come in after someone has been fired...

petegz28
01-11-2007, 02:27 PM
When is the last time a new coach inherited a 10-6 team? Ya know, new coaches typically come in after someone has been fired...

Did we get the same team this year? Did we get Roaf back? T-Rich? Saunders?

Feel free to reply.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Exactly, without checking, I don't remember any Chiefs coach ever taking over a winning team prior to Herm. So lets gut the SOB!

Pitt Gorilla
01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Did we get the same team this year? Did we get Roaf back? T-Rich? Saunders?

Feel free to reply.When was the last ANY team remained the "same team" from one year to the next?

Feel free to reply.

petegz28
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
When was the last ANY team remained the "same team" from one year to the next?

Feel free to reply.

Well then we didn't get the same 10-6 team did we?

ChiefsCountry
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Franz Gantz in 1987, went 5-11. Chiefs in 1986 went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Basileus777
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Its not from Chiefs' history, but I think the best analogy of the team Herm inherited and where he is taking it is Dave Wannstedt in Miami. Wannstedt took his team to the playoffs before it fell apart too.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Franz Gantz in 1987, went 5-11. Chiefs in 1986 went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Yep, but you got tell the rest of the story. The reason the Chiefs were in the playoffs, was due to his special teams. The offense and defense were both mediocre at best, the special teams kicked some butt!

So the players, pretty much had mutiny on Mackovic. Steadman was forced to fire Mackovic and promote Frank Ganz. It did not work out, the inmates were running the assylum.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Its not from Chiefs' history, but I think the best analogy of the team Herm inherited and where he is taking it is Dave Wannstedt in Miami. Wannstedt took his team to the playoffs before it fell apart too.

That is one of the comparisons that bothers me. When he was coach of the Bears, he was a laughing stock up here.

FAX
01-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Yep, but you got tell the rest of the story. The reason the Chiefs were in the playoffs, was due to his special teams. The offense and defense were both mediocre at best, the special teams kicked some butt!

So the players, pretty much had mutiny on Mackovic. Steadman was forced to fire Mackovic and promote Frank Ganz. It did not work out, the inmates were running the assylum.

Wow. What a memory. Prop things to you, Mr. HemiEd.

But, it reminds me just how up and down this franchise has been. Brief flashes of up interspersed with long, interminable periods of downishness. I wonder if other teams study us when they try and figure out what not to do.

FAX

Mile High Mania
01-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Congrats to Herm! He took a 10 win team from 2005 and won 9 games in 2006!

Greatness, baby! Offense went from 6th in points and 1st in yards to 15 and 15 respectively. As well, he took a defense that went from 16th in points and 25th in yards to 11 and 16 respectively.

Whooooo!

ROYC75
01-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Greatness, baby! Offense went from 6th in points and 1st in yards to 15 and 15 respectively. As well, he took a defense that went from 16th in points and 25th in yards to 11 and 16 respectively.

Whooooo!

No offense Brad, I don't care for Herm, but What did Dungver do ? Just asking......

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Whooooo!

If only he could have done the job that Shanahan did...taking an AFC Championship team...nowhere.

TEX
01-11-2007, 06:10 PM

Whooooo!

Your coach did even less with more.

Mile High Mania
01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Ahhhh, deflection! Greatness. It's good to see you guys can do that as well. Denver definitely failed compared to last year. The Defense fell apart after the first half of games and Cutler is still in a learning curve.

I do see that Denver addressed the QB concerns and now they're taking a path to fix the defense. Cutler was able to get his fellow rookies into the mix. So, I'll take my teams future over KC's future without question at this point.

You?

dirk digler
01-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Shanahan vs Herm...man that is a tough decision :)

Mile High Mania
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Shanahan vs Herm...man that is a tough decision :)

Heh. Don't strain yourself reaching for that answer.

dirk digler
01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Heh. Don't strain yourself reaching for that answer.

I might have to flip a coin on this one.

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I thought Shanahan would completely outclass Herm this year. I was wrong, and very surprised.

Shanny's lost it. I think Denver's defense will be terrible next year. Offense will be better, but not good enough.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Wow. What a memory. Prop things to you, Mr. HemiEd.

But, it reminds me just how up and down this franchise has been. Brief flashes of up interspersed with long, interminable periods of downishness. I wonder if other teams study us when they try and figure out what not to do.

FAX

It has been a long ride Mr. Fax. The more things change, the more they remain the same. I am concered that we are destined to repeat some of this ugly history with what appears to be happening at 1 Arrowhead drive. No matter what happens though, I will have my self ready and excited to watch each Chiefs game, as long as I am pumping air.

DaneMcCloud
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok before you all start bashing away on Herm it seems I remember the last coach to have a winning record their 1st year was Gun. If I am mistaken and it was his second year then we really need to go back because I don't think Marty did.

King DV didn't either.

Cut Herm some slack. Some...not a lot but some. He didn't have Roaf, T-Rich or Saunders. He had a hurt QB, I-65 and Wilson at FB. And still went 9-7.

One could say he got the most out of what he had to work with. You guys slam him for the offense and Clevelan but Cleveland wasn't the offense's fault.

I we can give Solari another year Herm is surely deserving of that. His 1st draft started out as the best draft we have had in recent memory.

Bro, you're freakin' LAME. You edited your thread post. You initially asked "Who was the last coach who had a winning record with the Chiefs". Several of us answered, then you changed your post.

WEAK and LAME.

dtebbe
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM

And if I poop in waterford it's still shit in a glass....

DT

FAX
01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
It has been a long ride Mr. Fax. The more things change, the more they remain the same. I am concered that we are destined to repeat some of this ugly history with what appears to be happening at 1 Arrowhead drive. No matter what happens though, I will have my self ready and excited to watch each Chiefs game, as long as I am pumping air.

ROFL

I feel the same way, Mr. HemiEd. It's amazing how a Chiefs fan can stay with the program even when the program is doing everything it can to abandon him.

When you step back and look at the situation, it's shocking to realize that expansion teams like Carolina and the Jags have fared better than the Chiefs. Teams like Arizona and the Texans are now poised to take a leap forward. The friggin' Titans lived without a home for a couple of years and did better. We have been so bad that we are a textbook example of how to never challenge for a SB. I seriously wonder if other owners and GMs analyze our moves do exactly the opposite.

If I were Carl, I honestly wouldn't be able to hold my head up at league meetings.

FAX

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
ROFL

I feel the same way, Mr. HemiEd. It's amazing how a Chiefs fan can stay with the program even when the program is doing everything it can to abandon him.

When you step back and look at the situation, it's shocking to realize that expansion teams like Carolina and the Jags have fared better than the Chiefs. Teams like Arizona and the Texans are now poised to take a leap forward. The friggin' Titans lived without a home for a couple of years and did better. We have been so bad that we are a textbook example of how to never challenge for a SB. I seriously wonder if other owners and GMs analyze our moves do exactly the opposite.

If I were Carl, I honestly wouldn't be able to hold my head up at league meetings.

FAX

I am not sure what the other owners and GMs think, but you may have a good point. Jax and Carolina were given an unfair advantage when they joined the league, I thought. It seemed a little over the top to me in order to make them competitive sooner. It worked, bastards.

Chiefs history is shocking isn't it. When the Royals were doing so well, 70s-80s I used to laugh at Cleveland and Cub fans. Looking in a mirror, I laugh no more.

FAX
01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
I think it would be embarrassing for Carl to go to league meetings. I'll bet the other GMs get together and talk about him behind his back and laugh.

They probably have a lot of "Carl Told Me To" jokes and stuff.

FAX

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I think it would be embarrassing for Carl to go to league meetings. I'll bet the other GMs get together and talk about him behind his back and laugh.

FAX

I read some news on here today, that may be relative to the subject. It stated that the Chiefs led the NFL in attendance again this year. It may be Carl that is doing the laughing, behind closed doors right now, with a glass of his favorite beverage. :shrug:

FAX
01-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I read some news on here today, that may be relative to the subject. It stated that the Chiefs led the NFL in attendance again this year. It may be Carl that is doing the laughing, behind closed doors right now, with a glass of his favorite beverage. :shrug:

Good point, Mr. HemiEd. Good point. I keep forgetting that the primary objective of an NFL franchise is to fill seats.

Carl can also take great pride in the knowledge that he runs the most effective sports PR campaign known to mankind. In the face of constant adversity, he gets his message out with no hesitation or concern for the repercussions among the informed media. He knows full well that the 90/10 rule applies to football fans as well.

Other GMs come and go due to public pressure, but not Carl.

FAX

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Good point, Mr. HemiEd. Good point. I keep forgetting that the primary objective of an NFL franchise is to fill seats.

Carl can also take great pride in the knowledge that he runs the most effective sports PR campaign known to mankind. In the face of constant adversity, he gets his message out with no hesitation or concern for the repercussions among the informed media. He knows full well that the 90/10 rule applies to football fans as well.

Other GMs come and go due to public pressure, but not Carl.

FAX

You pretty well nailed it there Mr. Fax. The Planet has helped me understand this, previously I would get my information from Rufus Dawes.

Thai Cheif
01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm really not sold at ALL on Edwards as coach. That Playoff game killed me to watch. I can see us only going downhill from here , sadly.

Logical
01-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I think my point is that King DV didn't do it. King DV got us no where with the #1 offense.

What utter and complete Bullshit. I never enjoyed a season more than the 13-3 season under DV since the days of Hank Stram and the Champion teams of that era.

Logical
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM

Whooooo!

Exactly Brad, props for seeing the truth. Shanny took a big risk this year that will likely pay dividends in the future, a risk I can never see Herm taking. Herm is the antithesis of a risk taker.

Thai Cheif
01-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Exactly Brad, props for seeing the truth. Shanny took a big risk this year that will likely pay dividends in the future, a risk I can never see Herm taking. Herm is the antithesis of a risk taker.
Time will tell. The Giants did that the year they were like 5-3 then benched Kurt Warner and went with Eli. I hasn't exactly gone according to script with the Giants yet.

el borracho
01-12-2007, 01:13 AM

FAX
Can we have some examples of "Carl Told Me To" jokes?

Extra Point
01-12-2007, 05:34 AM

FAX

They all wear their "Damnit Carl" T-shirts under their long sleeve $300 tailored ones.