PDA

View Full Version : When is the last time the Chiefs had a coach everybody liked?

Phobia
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
A QB?

You pretty much have to with the SuperBowl for everybody to be happy.

dirk digler
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
It is very had to please everybody but I would think that when they hired DV there is was pretty much unanimous happiness.

BigRedChief
01-11-2007, 02:02 PM
A QB?

You pretty much have to with the SuperBowl for everybody to be happy.
Hank and Lenny after the Super Bowl

Marty and Montana. Then montana left and he got us Bono and it was all over.

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Everyone liked Dick until the '03 playoff game.

ck_IN
<i>I would think that when they hired DV there is was pretty much unanimous happiness.</i>

*cough* Bull sh!t*cough*overrated hack*cough*

As for QB, did anyone have a problem with Joe Montanna? I was a Grbacker but I didn't have a problem with Gannon, just the way it was all handled by the coaches.

What was everyone's feeling on Mackovic? I liked him and thought he'd grow into the role if he'd had the chance.

seclark
i hope it never happens...this place is a blast when at least a few people are p@ssed off.
sec

tyton75
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Marty sucked.. shoulda started Ted White and Pat Barnes

OnTheWarpath58
01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Hank Stram?

Baby Lee
01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
It is very had to please everybody but I would think that when they hired DV there is was pretty much unanimous happiness.
Didn't mind the hire, but warned from the outset that DV was a chemist, not a tactician. Better find a strong hand to guide the personnel from a conditioning, technic and scheme POV. Enthusiasm fizzled with GRob, and evaporated first time I saw the _efense play.

dirk digler
01-11-2007, 02:08 PM
<i>I would think that when they hired DV there is was pretty much unanimous happiness.</i>

*cough* Bull sh!t*cough*overrated hack*cough*

As for QB, did anyone have a problem with Joe Montanna? I was a Grbacker but I didn't have a problem with Gannon, just the way it was all handled by the coaches.

What was everyone's feeling on Mackovic? I liked him and thought he'd grow into the role if he'd had the chance.

So you didn't like it when they hired DV?

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Agreed, and we won't even talk about how we felt after the first season it's like day and night.

ck_IN
01-11-2007, 02:13 PM
<i>So you didn't like it when they hired DV?</i>

You are being sarcastic aren't you? My dislike of DV is well known. My opinion that his hire was an ego stroke by DV and a desperate last grasp by CP is also well known. And my opinion that DV is one of the most overrated coaches in the game is also on record.

But I understand he makes really great wine.

dirk digler
01-11-2007, 02:16 PM
<i>So you didn't like it when they hired DV?</i>

You are being sarcastic aren't you? My dislike of DV is well known. My opinion that his hire was an ego stroke by DV and a desperate last grasp by CP is also well known. And my opinion that DV is one of the most overrated coaches in the game is also on record.

But I understand he makes really great wine.

Actually it wasn't. I didn't know you disliked DV that much.

I was very excited that the Chiefs hired DV because we finally had a head coach that actually coached in the SB.

redbrian
01-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Hank and Lenny after the Super Bowl

Marty and Montana. Then montana left and he got us Bono and it was all over.

The answer is never, some folks were bad mouthing Hank and Lenny even after the Championship game (wasn't the Super Bowl until the next year).

You will never get all the so called fans happy with anyone ever, just will not happen.

Dartgod
01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Paul Wiggens

Mr. Laz
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
everyone like Marty for a long,long time.

then his message got old ... and the failures got older.

TrebMaxx
01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Hank Stram 1960 - 1974 124-76-10
What is there to complain about with hammern' Hank? Too young give a crap, but was a great hire.

Paul Wiggin 1975 - 1974 11-24
Uhhhggg! Too young to give a crap about his hire.

Tom Bettis 1977* 1-6
Interim head coach, sucked like on too.

Marv Levy 1978 - 1982 31-42
I actually liked Marv, didn't have the talent. I was some what excited when he was hired.

John Mackovic 1983 - 1986 30-34
We won some we lost some - didn't hate him. Thought he might do better when he was hired.

Frank Gansz 1987 - 1988 8-22-1
Liked his special teams...that is about all. Indiffernt on this hire.

Marty Schottenheimer 1989 - 1998 101-58-1
I liked Marty, but he pissed off durring the playoffs. Thought he woulld be a good hire.

Gunther Cunnigham 1999 - 2000 16-16
I liked Gunther better as a DC. I had hope when he took over.

Dick Vermeil 2001-2005 44-36
Didn't like what he did to the D. Wasn't real exicited by this hire.

Herm Edwards 2006-? 9-7
Jury is out. I wasn't thrilled by this hire.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
The answer is never, some folks were bad mouthing Hank and Lenny even after the Championship game (wasn't the Super Bowl until the next year).

You will never get all the so called fans happy with anyone ever, just will not happen.

I was going to say the same thing. Hank started getting a lot of bad National pub, as well, for sticking with his veterans.

Skip Towne
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Hank started getting a lot of bad National pub, as well, for sticking with his veterans.
Then there was that whole cash register thing.

HemiEd
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Then there was that whole cash register thing.

refresh my memory, that is not ringing any bells.

Logical
01-11-2007, 03:50 PM
i hope it never happens...this place is a blast when at least a few people are p@ssed off.
secsec, do you use filters others such as myself do not have. Pissesd is not filtered in my postings so why the ampersand?

MOhillbilly
01-11-2007, 03:52 PM
i reserve the right to like or dislike anyone in the Chiefs org. so long as it pisses off another poster

Logical
01-11-2007, 03:54 PM

You know you are old when you make that distinction in a post.ROFL

PastorMikH
01-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I was pretty happy with DV for the first year. Then, when he didn't let GR go, I wondered. Then the following year he didn't let GR go, I got frustrated. Then, when he held onto him again, I got fed up with him.

I was happy with Marty up until he last year. His focus wasn't the same and you could tell.

As for QBs Montana was the first QB we have had since I started watching that I felt could take us downfield at any given time and get us a TD. (No way he would have made it here with Herm). Grbac could throw a ball, but man he showed less inteligence than a rock at times and had a terrible attitude. The first two years with Green I was irritated with him, but once he got protection he turned into a QB I've been quite satisfied with.

Amnorix
01-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Belichick has won 3. Around here half the media hates him. It's absolutely ridiculous.

He's too cheap. He lets good players go. He's all business. He doesn't dress well. He gives lousy press conferences. He's boring.

WHO GIVES A FLYING FUG? IF I WANT A COMEDIAN, I'LL GO SEE BILL COSBY -- WE WANT A GODDAMN FOOTBALL COACH WHO WINS!!!

Amnorix
01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Marv Levy 1978 - 1982 31-42
I actually liked Marv, didn't have the talent. I was some what excited when he was hired.

This is when I was 8-12 years old, and just starting to be a very, very serious Patriots fan. But I had absolutely no idea he was the Chiefs coach at one point. Never knew what he did before the Bills.

Damn....learn something new every day.

Bill Parcells
01-11-2007, 04:26 PM
This is when I was 8-12 years old, and just starting to be a very, very serious Patriots fan. But I had absolutely no idea he was the Chiefs coach at one point. Never knew what he did before the Bills.

Damn....learn something new every day.
He used to run the wing T offense with the Chiefs.

Amnorix
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
He used to run the wing T offense with the Chiefs.

Really? Wow, that's quite different. I missed (mostly) the hey-day of the Patriots under the Chuck Fairbanks regime, when we should've won the SB but for Ben F**king Dreith, etc.

Amazing how much the game has evolved since the early 80s, that's for sure.

FAX
01-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah. Marv actually came to a couple of my gigs in KC back in the day, Mr. Amnorix. Nice guy.

I never thought he'd be successful as a coach. But, then he found Thurman Thomas and, well, the rest is history.

Did you know that we passed up on Dan Marino after his tryout with the Chiefs? Who did we wind up going with ....?

FAX

Bill Parcells
01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Really? Wow, that's quite different. I missed (mostly) the hey-day of the Patriots under the Chuck Fairbanks regime, when we should've won the SB but for Ben F**king Dreith, etc.

Amazing how much the game has evolved since the early 80s, that's for sure.
The Fairbanks Patriots had a lot of talent..Stanley Morgan..Hannah..Steve Nelson..and the Baltimore Colts with Bert Jones were really good for a couple of years,75-77..it was a tough division with the Dolphins too..it's better to peak when everybody else sucks..like the Pats had been doing the last couple of years.;)

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey Bill, who do you want in the draft? RB?

Bill Parcells
01-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey Bill, who do you want in the draft? RB?
I don't know yet..we might be going for a DT/NT with our 1st rounder..we have 2 2nd rounders..and one is the Redskins..so it's top 6?I think in the 2nd round...so we might take a RB with one of our 2 2nd rounders..or..I heard we might trade Vilma to the Redskins for Portis..

el borracho
01-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Nope. I was not unhappy to have DV but hated the fact that we gave up multiple picks for him and then immediately sent a bunch more picks to St. Louis for players who were backups on that team (yes, including Green- I was in favor of signing Collins or some other free-agent at the time).

And I'm pretty sure KCJohnny hated DV from the start.

el borracho
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Marty in his early years? :shrug: