PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez going pro

noa
01-11-2007, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2727947

Gonzalez skipping senior season; enters NFL draft

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Speedy wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, a deep threat and the second-leading receiver for Ohio State, will skip his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

"Obviously, it's the toughest thing I've ever had to do in my life," Gonzalez said at a news conference Thursday in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.

Two other Buckeyes are contemplating an early move to the NFL. Tailback Antonio Pittman will announce his decision on Monday at his Akron high school. Wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., who sprained his left foot in the BCS national championship game, has not made up his mind, his father said Thursday.

An Academic All-American, Gonzalez was an All-Big Ten selection. He finished the season with 51 receptions for 734 yards and eight touchdowns -- all career highs.

Gonzalez, a philosophy major, is one of the most popular players on the roster. He's also known for sleeping in an oxygen-depletion tent and his knack for cooking Cuban food.

Count Zarth
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I think drafting this guy would be fun just so we could have two Tony G's on the roster.

StcChief
01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
So the jersey. A Gonzalez, T Gonzalez
Guess Gonzo get's first choice.

crazycoffey
01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I think drafting this guy would be fun just so we could have two Tony G's on the roster.

He looks like a decent reciever aka - can catch the ball. And if he's really that fast, then I could be behind getting him.

FAX
I wonder if he could be converted to TE?

FAX

JBucc
If we can't or don't pick a WR in the first this guy or Steve Smith would be good choices later on.

ZootedGranny
01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, there's that, and the fact that he's actually a good WR.

As far as major program #2 WRs, I'd rather have Steve Smith from USC.

Chief Nute
01-11-2007, 03:10 PM
I didnt want to sound like a homer......but I think this guy would fit our offense very well......since Herm seems to want to use more possession-type receivers. You also wont find a better character guy, and a harder worker. The dude actually cried as he announced his intentions today. Runs a 4.3 40 as well.......

And we could get him in the 2nd round, while we upgrade at DT in the first

noa
01-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I didnt want to sound like a homer......but I think this guy would fit our offense very well......since Herm seems to want to use more possession-type receivers. You also wont find a better character guy, and a harder worker. The dude actually cried as he announced his intentions today. Runs a 4.3 40 as well.......

I'm sold. I think he could be a good fit.

crazycoffey
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM

as long as we've addressed the OT problems with FA signings.

El Jefe
01-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Chief Nute, I dont see Gonzalez going in the 2nd if he does its gonna be late 2nd early third IMO. He is a great possesion reciever and he has the ability to break a long one.

Thig Lyfe
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Sounds like he'd be a good add. Assuming Jarrett and Johnson are gone already in the first round, he'd be a great 2nd round pick.

Chief Nute
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Chief Nute, I dont see Gonzalez going in the 2nd if he does its gonna be late 2nd early third IMO. He is a great possesion reciever and he has the ability to break a long one.

That is very possible. There is nothing "special" about Anthony G. He is very fast....but I'm not sure he is "football fast"....but he is an excellent route runner. He will impress lots of GM's with his intelligence, and he will interview extremely well. Good team guy. The further he goes down the draft chart, the better deal someone will get.

I've said for 3 months now that if I were an NFL GM, I'd rather have Gonzalez any day of the week than Ted Ginn.

Thig Lyfe
01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I see Gonzalez as a Colston-type sleeper who certainly won't fall to the seventh, but could be an out-of-nowhere #1 receiver next season.

BIG_DADDY
01-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Well if he didn't work out he we could always get him in the kitchen to whip up a good batch of some of Fidels finest Frijoles Negros.

El Jefe
01-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Chief Nute, I am a huge Buckeye fan every since I was a child, and I defintely would not take Gonzalez over Ginn. Why you say, well for one Ginn is 10 times the deep threat of Gonzalez is, his football speed is much faster, and simply he could contribute on any NFL special teams squad in the league. Gonzales is good and I love any Buckeyes but a sleeper definetely not, a #1 reciever maybe in the future. He is great if you have a #1 who can take attention away from him. IMO he is a good #2 reciever who will put up good numbers behind a #1 reciever. He is a very very smart player and he will put up some stats.

Rooster
01-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Here is another Tony Gonzalez from Boston College. We could have three Gonzo's plus the Secret Weapon. :thumb:

School: Boston College
Full Name: Tony Gonzalez
Born: March 10, 1983
Hometown: Framingham, MA
Height: 5-11
Weight: 190 lbs. Age: 23
Pos: WR
Class: Senior

REC 39 | YDS 441 | TD 5

Chief Nute
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, and see how it pans out. But in my honest opinion, Ginn is far too raw for me to spend a 1st rounder on......he doesnt run great routes and he drops far too many balls. He is a big play threat, but against NFL caliber talent, will be be able to just run past a DB? I doubt it.

You are right.....Gonzalez will never be a Holt, Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, etc. But I dont think any of those guys are the type of guys that Herm wants. He likes short possession type passes.....and that is why Laveranues Coles was and is very good in NY. Gonzalez could be a receiver like that. Could even be a Houshmandzadah type guy.......

Not really a game changer, but a 2nd round WR may not be a game changer