PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER - TIME TO REBOOT

bringbackmarty
01-18-2007, 02:03 AM
TIME TO REBOOT
Edwards takes aim at complex KC roster
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

I n Herm Edwards’ perfect world, he might like to start almost from scratch in building the Chiefs roster. He might grab a handful of young players like Tamba Hali, Jared Allen, Derrick Johnson and Larry Johnson, and then fend for himself to fill out the remainder of the starting lineup.

His reality won’t be that simple. As much as Edwards might like to take a butcher knife to the roster, the Chiefs are tethered to too many fat contracts given to underperforming players to allow that to happen.

Let’s say the Chiefs want to get rid of the following veterans: Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Dante Hall, Ryan Sims, Eric Hicks, Kendrell Bell, Ty Law, Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley. It’s a safe assumption they would like to rid themselves of most.

The cost of dumping those nine players could run as high as $32 million against their salary cap. That prohibitive amount guarantees at least some will return.

So think scalpel instead of butcher knife, changes on something less than a large scale.

The Chiefs are now sorting through those decisions.

“There will be some tough decisions, and there will be some unpopular decisions,” Edwards said. “We’ll make those in a manner that is best for the football team. It’s never personal.

“We’ll take our time. We won’t make emotional decisions. That’s always a bad decision when you get emotionally involved.”

The Chiefs have the luxury of time. Free-agency doesn’t begin until March.

Here’s a peek at what those changes might involve.

Offense

The Chiefs won’t let the results of one playoff game, albeit a miserable one, dictate their choices.

“You never let one game, one play, determine your decision making,” Edwards said. “You look at the whole season, what you’re trying to accomplish, where you fell short, the things you did well, the things you didn’t do well.”

The broader picture shows their most important decision is at quarterback. Trent Green, who will be 37 next summer, didn’t play well enough to automatically enter next season as the starter.

The Chiefs probably will keep either Green or Damon Huard, a potential free agent, but not both. Much could depend on whether Green will accept a cut in his scheduled salary of $7.2 million.

Brodie Croyle, with any kind of offseason showing, will enter training camp as the No. 2 quarterback.

The line could look similar depending on the retirement decisions of guard Will Shields and center Casey Wiegmann and the success in re-signing tackle Jordan Black, another potential free agent. The Chiefs probably will make an effort to re-sign Black if the cost isn’t prohibitive.

The Chiefs would plug the loss of Shields with John Welbourn and the loss of Wiegmann with Chris Bober or Rudy Niswanger.

The loss of Black is a bigger problem. The Chiefs have no other obvious candidate to play left tackle, so they would be forced to fill the hole in free-agency or the draft.

Otherwise, the only issue is right tackle. The Chiefs used four starters last season with little success. The leading candidate would be midseason addition Chris Terry.

The Chiefs would appear to have little choice but to sign a wide receiver or draft one. Eddie Kennison will be 34; Samie Parker and Hall have provided the Chiefs with little.

Look for Jeff Webb, who played little last season as a rookie, to claim a starting spot.

“Webb will be a part of this offense,” Edwards said. “He needs to be. He’s a good football player. We’ve got to get him on the football field.”

The Chiefs also must add a fullback. One possibility could be backup linebacker Boomer Grigsby.

Defense

The Chiefs in the last few years of Dick Vermeil’s time as head coach thought they were one or two good players away from building a solid defense. So they lavished free-agent riches on players such as Bell, Knight and Law.

They soon will pay for this strategy. Bell has by all measures been a lousy signing. Knight and Law might have made sense but don’t run well enough to be productive players in Edwards’ system.

“We’re in a period of transition,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “(Edwards) had his first year now with this football team, and a lot of it he inherited. He knows what he wants to do, and he expresses to me and our player personnel people where he wants to go. Now he’s had a full year of evaluation of his players and certainly has his thoughts, and I want those thoughts because he is the captain of the ship.”

The biggest issue for the Chiefs is what to do with Bell. Because his scheduled salary of slightly more than $3 million is guaranteed, Bell would cost the Chiefs more against their salary cap to release than keep.

Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell is a potential free agent, and the Chiefs appear inclined to try to re-sign him. If they do, Mitchell might move to one of the outside positions. The Chiefs would then look to free-agency or the draft for a middle linebacker.

The Chiefs will again be in the market for a high-quality defensive tackle. Unless one gets released, it appears none will be available in free-agency.

They appear to have little choice but to try again with a high draft pick. They would then try to re-sign at least two of their potential free agents in James Reed, Ron Edwards and Jimmy Wilkerson. Sims is probably finished with the Chiefs.

Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard are the likely starters at safety, making Knight and Wesley expendable. Look for the Chiefs to draft a cornerback and prepare him to take Law’s starting spot.

what a joke, griggsby @ FB? weaka to the outside instead of fox or bell, who costs too much to release.

el borracho
01-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Wow. A lot of big ideas in this article. I wonder how many of those ideas are actually being considered by Herm and how many are just out of Teicher's butt.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-18-2007, 02:15 AM
This is a really stupid premise IMO, and I have no sympathy for Herm. I didn't see anyone holding a gun to his head telling him to take this job. We're going to suck next year, that much is certain. What we need to do is build for '08...

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Kawika at OLB?

Bell's gonna just milk it out for the max payout, sucks for us.

I"m thinking they are def going LB in the 1st if the right guy falls far enough (Ole Miss guy??) b/c OT and DT are too weak in the draft and Herm has said numerous times he can spot DB talent in later rounds.

HMc
01-18-2007, 02:20 AM
you know ditching all those mofos and taking the big cap hit THIS year migtnt be such a bad idea. Yeah we can't afford to spend any $ on players but at least they get the deadweight out the road for future seasons.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Kawika at OLB?

Bell's gonna just milk it out for the max payout, sucks for us.

I"m thinking they are def going LB in the 1st if the right guy falls far enough (Ole Miss guy??) b/c OT and DT are too weak in the draft and Herm has said numerous times he can spot DB talent in later rounds.

Especially true in a Cover 2 system where you don't need good corners anyway. As long as you have someone who can guard the flats and hit hard, that's all you really need, which makes one really scratch their head when they look at who we signed and for what scheme

:shake:

HMc
01-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Law was never gonna get the chop regardless but he did enough against Indy to be sure of his spot.Sad thing is that if he got flicked i don't think anyone else would pay him anywhere near the $ the chiefs are

HMc
01-18-2007, 02:26 AM
dudes was bell really awesome at some point? How did he swing that phat deal?

RedThat
01-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Especially true in a Cover 2 system where you don't need good corners anyway. As long as you have someone who can guard the flats and hit hard, that's all you really need, which makes one really scratch their head when they look at who we signed and for what scheme

:shake:

Well, first off. A lot of those guys we signed are carry overs from Vermeils team.

Knight, Surtain, Bell, etc...I dont think the FO even had the slighest clue
that we were gonna run a cover 2 defense in the future years to come?

This is the kinda stuff that happens when you get a new head coach. But it still goes to show that management doesnt really know how to plan ahead, nor have long term future plans.

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 02:39 AM
bell is in his 3rd year, its not a HUGE contract for a FA LB that is a 6 year vet- its just too much for him based upon his performance

BigRock
01-18-2007, 02:42 AM
I wonder how many of those ideas are actually being considered by Herm and how many are just out of Teicher's butt.
You know, I did see Teicher at the pharmacy today buying a few tubes of Preparation H. He was complaining about some serious itching and burning back there. It didn't mean anything to me at the time, but now that I've seen this column I'm starting to put 2 and 2 together.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Well, first off. A lot of those guys we signed are carry overs from Vermeils team.

Knight, Surtain, Bell, etc...I dont think the FO even had the slighest clue
that we were gonna run a cover 2 defense in the future years to come?

This is the kinda stuff that happens when you get a new head coach. But it still goes to show that management doesnt really know how to plan ahead, nor have long term future plans.

You do realize that as a former DB, Herm might know WTF other schemes are outside of the Cover 2. Truly great coaches can adapt to their personnel. Others....don't.

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 03:31 AM
You do realize that as a former DB, Herm might know WTF other schemes are outside of the Cover 2. Truly great coaches can adapt to their personnel. Others....don't.

Wait, are we saying Herm's a great coach, now? F#ck, I"m confused.

Otter
01-18-2007, 05:59 AM
If Brodie Croyle isn't handing off to LJ next year I'm going to have a really, really hard time trying to give a shit about anything the rest those unremitting losers try to do.

The Poz
01-18-2007, 06:08 AM
dudes was bell really awesome at some point? How did he swing that phat deal?

check out his first 3 years in Pitt. He was defensice rookie of the year.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235195

The Poz
01-18-2007, 06:11 AM
What a joke, has anyone seen this before? I'm sure that there is a thread about this somewhere before but I found it as I was looking up Bell's stat's.
http://www.kendrellbell.com/

the Talking Can
01-18-2007, 06:22 AM
"The line could look similar depending on the retirement decisions of guard Will Shields and center Casey Wiegmann and the success in re-signing tackle Jordan Black, another potential free agent. The Chiefs probably will make an effort to re-sign Black if the cost isn’t prohibitive.

The Chiefs would plug the loss of Shields with John Welbourn and the loss of Wiegmann with Chris Bober or Rudy Niswanger.

The loss of Black is a bigger problem. The Chiefs have no other obvious candidate to play left tackle, so they would be forced to fill the hole in free-agency or the draft.

Otherwise, the only issue is right tackle. The Chiefs used four starters last season with little success. The leading candidate would be midseason addition Chris Terry.

The Chiefs would appear to have little choice but to sign a wide receiver or draft one. Eddie Kennison will be 34; Samie Parker and Hall have provided the Chiefs with little.

Look for Jeff Webb, who played little last season as a rookie, to claim a starting spot.

“Webb will be a part of this offense,” Edwards said. “He needs to be. He’s a good football player. We’ve got to get him on the football field.”

The Chiefs also must add a fullback. One possibility could be backup linebacker Boomer Grigsby."

wtf?...we'd be the worst team in the league if we play that trash....good lord

Bob Dole
01-18-2007, 06:23 AM
If Mazlowski was still here, we'd already have our fullback.

Or if King Carl had just pulled his head out of his ass and paid T Rich $850k a year.

siberian khatru
01-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Here's my mantra: It's at least a 2-year project to rebuild this team.

Year 1 (this offseason): Cut all the dead weight, draft well and just bite the bullet on the cap. Don't worry about trying to eke out another 9-7 season. Think long-term.

HMc
01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
agreed. cut all the losers. i don't care if we have to start undrafted rookies because we can't afford anything else, this team needs some turnover. like 35, not fcking 16-17.

BigRedChief
01-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Let’s say the Chiefs want to get rid of the following veterans: Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Dante Hall, Ryan Sims, Eric Hicks, Kendrell Bell, Ty Law, Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley. It’s a safe assumption they would like to rid themselves of most.

The cost of dumping those nine players could run as high as $32 million against their salary cap. That prohibitive amount guarantees at least some will return.

Who's fault is it that we have a bunch of old overpaid underperforming "athletes"?

Chiefnj
01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
"The line could look similar depending on the retirement decisions of guard Will Shields and center Casey Wiegmann and the success in re-signing tackle Jordan Black, another potential free agent. The Chiefs probably will make an effort to re-sign Black if the cost isn’t prohibitive.

The loss of Black is a bigger problem. The Chiefs have no other obvious candidate to play left tackle, so they would be forced to fill the hole in free-agency or the draft."

I will be the first to say that if Herm goes with Teicher's approach on the OL, my days as being a Chiefs fan are over until Herm leaves KC.

"..in the last few years of Dick Vermeil’s time as head coach thought they were one or two good players away from building a solid defense. So they lavished free-agent riches on players such as Bell, Knight and Law."

Adam, I know you don't want to work too hard, but you should realize that Law was brought in under Herm, not Vermeil.

boogblaster
01-18-2007, 07:06 AM
You have to have the mix of veterns and youth..all youth has to have leaders on a team..you have that by hiring older players with good ball savy..that said, we have too many old players....

Extra Point
01-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Or if King Carl had just pulled his head out of his ass and paid T Rich $850k a year.

Unfortunately, picked door number 2 for us.

kepp
01-18-2007, 07:23 AM
What a joke, has anyone seen this before? I'm sure that there is a thread about this somewhere before but I found it as I was looking up Bell's stat's.
http://www.kendrellbell.com/
Ha! "Kendrell Bell - Diary of a Hitman" The last entry of his "journal" is 12/2/2005 - yep, sounds about right.

morphius
01-18-2007, 07:33 AM

The loss of Black is a bigger problem. The Chiefs have no other obvious candidate to play left tackle, so they would be forced to fill the hole in free-agency or the draft."

I will be the first to say that if Herm goes with Teicher's approach on the OL, my days as being a Chiefs fan are over until Herm leaves KC.

"..in the last few years of Dick Vermeil’s time as head coach thought they were one or two good players away from building a solid defense. So they lavished free-agent riches on players such as Bell, Knight and Law."

Adam, I know you don't want to work too hard, but you should realize that Law was brought in under Herm, not Vermeil.
I couldn't even imagine a scenario where the Chiefs make Bober the starter on opening day without 3 injuries.

KC Jones
01-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Cut em loose, try out some kids and take the licks. I don't care if we go 3-13 next year, I just want to rebuild with youth for 2-3 years from now.

John_Wayne
01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
The Chiefs also must add a fullback. One possibility could be backup linebacker Boomer Grigsby.

Where did this come from? Was Grigsby a FB in college or H.S.? This is the oddest thing I've heard in a while. Maybe Vanover could be our RB?

Woodrow Call
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM

Where did this come from? Was Grigsby a FB in college or H.S.? This is the oddest thing I've heard in a while. Maybe Vanover could be our RB?

I thought I heard after Cruz went down Grigsby started practicing some at FB. Can't remember where I heard/read that though.

Delano
01-18-2007, 08:07 AM
A Offensive line of Terry, Welbourne, Bober, Waters and whoever gets plugged in at LT would seriously slow or end Brodie's developement or destroy Trent's now-fragile frame. Scary.

jspchief
01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
The way he talks about signing Black to be our starting LT is terrifying.

Woodrow Call
01-18-2007, 08:10 AM

I don't see what is so outrageous about it. Welbourn was a good G in Phili so replacing Shields with him makes since. Niswanger was kept for a reason and that reason was to replace Wiegmann.

Black is the only thing I have a problem with.

KC Jones
01-18-2007, 08:16 AM
A Offensive line of Terry, Welbourne, Bober, Waters and whoever gets plugged in at LT would seriously slow or end Brodie's developement or destroy Trent's now-fragile frame. Scary.

shows what you know - next year we're removing all passing plays except the flea flicker.

Brock
01-18-2007, 08:18 AM

Dr. Z shorthanded Black as WGSK when he was writing up the Indy game. WGSK=Will get someone killed.

Chiefnj
01-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't see what is so outrageous about it. Welbourn was a good G in Phili so replacing Shields with him makes since. Niswanger was kept for a reason and that reason was to replace Wiegmann.

Black is the only thing I have a problem with.

Welbourn was also an acceptable RT on KC 2-3 years ago. His play slipped tremendously after his 2nd roid suspension. He's not the player he once was and cannot be trusted to be kept clean.

If Herm wants a ball control offense that relies on the run he will need a stellar OL to run it. Teicher's suggestions are anything but that.

Zouk
01-18-2007, 08:27 AM

In the Indianapolis game our coverages were changing constantly throughout the game accoriding to Kawika Mitchell.

Woodrow Call
01-18-2007, 08:28 AM
LT is downright scary. Black isn't the answer, there are no FA LTs worth a damn, and the chances of finding one ready to start in the draft are slim.

Carl had plenty of time to groom Roaf's replacement and he didn't get it done. Same with a replacement for Shields at G. Herm will end up getting most of the blame but this is all on Carl IMO.

Brock
01-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Carl had plenty of time to groom Roaf's replacement and he didn't get it done. Same with a replacement for Shields at G. Herm will end up getting most of the blame but this is all on Carl IMO.

And Vermeil as well. He didn't exactly stock the cupboard for the next guy.

StcChief
01-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Boomer as FB.....

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
FB- Brian Leonard :D

If KC has Huard starting for the beginning of the season we are F*CKED!!!!!! Teicher writing this particual article you've got to wonder if he's taking notes from Chiefs Planet in crayon.

Brock
01-18-2007, 08:36 AM
If KC has Huard starting for the beginning of the season we are F*CKED!!!!!!

What makes you say that?

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2007, 08:41 AM
What makes you say that?

Huard is a min-Grbac he'll have decent games, but when it comes crunchtime he'll fold. The opposing defense will try to make Huard beat us, and before the OL decided to have Green killed in the 1st game this wouldn't be an issue. Huard isn't an impact player, but a very average one.

Brock
01-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Huard is a min-Grbac he'll have decent games, but when it comes crunchtime he'll fold. The opposing defense will try to make Huard beat us, and before the OL decided to have Green killed in the 1st game this wouldn't be an issue. Huard isn't an impact player, but a very average one.

What are the other choices? Green, we have no idea if he's ever going to be the same player he once was, I'm betting against at this point. Croyle, we have virtually NO clue whether he can play at all. At least with Huard, you have some evidence he can play.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2007, 08:48 AM
What are the other choices? Green, we have no idea if he's ever going to be the same player he once was, I'm betting against at this point. Croyle, we have virtually NO clue whether he can play at all. At least with Huard, you have some evidence he can play.

Seriously, I feel safer with Croyle starting than Huard. Croyle, is like a younger version of Trent with a stronger arm.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 08:49 AM

Truly great coaches find players to fit their scheme. Unless you're saying Parcells isn't a great coach. Or Jimmy Johnson. I could go on, but I'm hoping you get the picture.

Brock
01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Seriously, I feel safer with Croyle starting than Huard. Croyle, is like a younger version of Trent with a stronger arm.

I'm glad you're convinced, though I can't see what it is that has let you to that. I'm all for starting Croyle also, I'm all for nuking the roster and starting over, but if Huard outplays Croyle in training camp and wins the job, then that's fine too. Of course, I think the team has to actually sign Huard to a contract first.

Bob Dole
01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Bob Dole hopes someone is taking notes of all the people who claim they will be "just fine" if this team is 2-14 or 3-13 next season.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Is Teicher a poster on here too????

Just curious,

OL needs somewhat more attention than he points out. Dead on with Bell and the WRs, QB too I can't imagine both Green and Huard will be here next year.

Boomer as FB seemed out of left field, but the more I think about it, here's something I like, Bigfoot can be more of slot - or WR even as big as he is, and boomer is nuttz, he loves hitting people, but he's not big enough to really put the zing on people for D, that's why we have all thought he was a stretch for MLB and special teams was his only future. Well if he's open to FB, he's big enough for that, he's fast, and athletic, I don't know maybe it would be a big surprise. I'll just say after further thought, it could have the potential for a huge upside.

I kind of hope priest comes back, he probably won't, but he has always surprised the naysayers. Shows he's still got it and he becomes trade bait, or since LJ seems a little unhappy here..... I don't want to speak that scenerio into existance so I'll stop.

vailpass
01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
The biggest issue for the Chiefs is what to do with Bell. Because his scheduled salary of slightly more than $3 million is guaranteed, Bell would cost the Chiefs more against their salary cap to release than keep.

Bell's agent earned his commission this time around, what a sweet deal.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I think I would be calling Willie Roaf right now offering him a 1 yr, $10 mil contract. Then I would tell Black that he's the new starting RG and offer him a decent contract. His best pro game was at RG against Baltimore when he pancaked Ray Ray after Shields got hurt a couple years ago. Niswanger, Svitek, and Stallings would be in NFL Europe, and Svitek would be at LT. Terry and Sampson can fight for the RT position in camp, and Turley and Welbourn would be gone. I'm assuming Shields is gone, and if Casey retires as well, I'd have Rudy and Bober fight for that position.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:13 AM
FB- Brian Leonard :D

If KC has Huard starting for the beginning of the season we are F*CKED!!!!!! Teicher writing this particual article you've got to wonder if he's taking notes from Chiefs Planet in crayon.

I'd love to have Leonard as a FB...

In the FOURTH round. :D

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Welbourn was also an acceptable RT on KC 2-3 years ago. His play slipped tremendously after his 2nd roid suspension. He's not the player he once was and cannot be trusted to be kept clean.

If Herm wants a ball control offense that relies on the run he will need a stellar OL to run it. Teicher's suggestions are anything but that.

EXACTLY.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:14 AM

Terrifying. Mortifying. However you want to say it.

Zouk
01-18-2007, 09:15 AM
The team needs to cut loose Law, Knight, Wesley, Bell, Hicks, Sims, and Priest.

I'd prefer for Dante Hall to move on as well.

Trent Green will probably realize that there are no better options for him out there at age 37, and he will take a pay cut and return for 1 more year.

But the $32 million dead cap number cited by Teicher is almost certainly wrong. By using June 1st, the number will be much less than that.

Still, we're not going to sign any significant free agents this year, so all the Leonard Davis and Lance Briggs talk is just useless. We'll take our medicine and re-build the team with young players. That does not mean we will win 2-5 games. I think we can still compete for a playoff spot with a young team. The tricky thing is finding a decent left tackle. Maybe Svitek has a chance?

Tribal Warfare
I think I would be calling Willie Roaf right now offering him a 1 yr, $10 mil contract. Then I would tell Black that he's the new starting RG and offer him a decent contract. His best pro game was at RG against Baltimore when he pancaked Ray Ray after Shields got hurt a couple years ago. Niswanger, Svitek, and Stallings would be in NFL Europe, and Svitek would be at LT. Terry and Sampson can fight for the RT position in camp, and Turley and Welbourn would be gone. I'm assuming Shields is gone, and if Casey retires as well, I'd have Rudy and Bober fight for that position.

I don't be Svitek will into NFL Europe, because he was so damn exghausted he couldn't compete for eith OT position

htismaqe

TRich didn't want $850k a year. He wanted to play for a different team.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM

He heard the Vikings had better team parties.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 09:19 AM

bober and rudy are both bigger than Casey too, I just noticed that on the roster.

67Bober, Chris (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/chris_bober/)T6-531012/24/767Nebraska-Omaha
He's listed as a Tackle, and never made the rotation when sampson and turley were hurt, is that alarming????? Plus he's already 30
64Niswanger, Rudy (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/rudy_niswanger/)C6-530111/09/82RLSU
young big rookie free agent, if it's a tie between him a bober, go with youth???
62Wiegmann, Casey (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/casey_wiegmann/)C6-228507/20/7311Iowa

anyone know anything about this guy, from the practice squad?
66Ingram, Johnathan (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jonathan_ingram/)C6-229009/20/802San Diego State

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM

ROFL big selling point for the single guy, STRIPPERS

note to carl, if you need stripper scouts, I would be available. Lets hook us some young talent.

Chiefnj
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
At this point I don't see any reason why KC would want to lose Knight, Wesley and Law if it will cost more to cut them.

The Chiefs don't really have a viable replacement for Law. Pollard has yet to outplay Wesley at safety and having Knight around as an experienced backup veteran makes sense.

Woodrow Call
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
The team needs to cut loose Law, Knight, Wesley, Bell, Hicks, Sims, and Priest.

I'd prefer for Dante Hall to move on as well.

Cutting Law makes no sense; all it does is create another hole to fill. I'd keep Wesley in case Pollard or Page struggles.

I agree with the rest of the list.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
young big rookie free agent, if it's a tie between him a bober, go with youth???

YES.

Chiefnj
01-18-2007, 09:26 AM

According to the Kansas City Star, "Fullback Tony Richardson for years had the look of someone who would finish his career with the Chiefs. He arrived in 1995, making Richardson second in terms of seniority among active Chiefs behind Will Shields. He quickly became ingrained in the community with his involvement in charity and civic endeavors. That, along with his two Pro Bowl appearances, made him one of the Chiefs’ most popular players. But Richardson’s contract expires next week, and it’s looking as if he will finish his career playing against the Chiefs rather than for them. He certainly sounds like a man preparing for that eventuality. “I definitely will become a free agent,” Richardson said. “This organization has been great to me. It’s allowed me to grow as a man and as a football player. I’ve got a lot going on in the community. But I’m open to playing somewhere else if I can’t work something out here. “It could become a reality. It’s a business, and it’s about what the organization wants to do. You have to be realistic about the situation.” Richardson heads a short list of Chiefs players who would become unrestricted free agents on Friday."

Insight: Richardson indicated his preference was to remain with the Chiefs and didn’t rule out the possibility he would eventually re-sign. He said he recently spoke at length with new Chiefs coach Herm Edwards but wouldn’t reveal whether he was told he was no longer part of their plans. Richardson is an integral part of the Chiefs offense, but with OC Al Saunders departure, the offense will undergo a minor makeover, and that face lift might not include Richardson. (TonyFinn/PFS)

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
At this point I don't see any reason why KC would want to lose Knight, Wesley and Law if it will cost more to cut them.

The Chiefs don't really have a viable replacement for Law. Pollard has yet to outplay Wesley at safety and having Knight around as an experienced backup veteran makes sense.

I somewhat agree. Cutting either Wesley or Knight is necessary to free up some cap space, even if we're gonna eat some of their money next year. But we should keep the other as a backup.

And there's no reason at all to cut Law. He actually played well.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
According to the Kansas City Star, "Fullback Tony Richardson for years had the look of someone who would finish his career with the Chiefs. He arrived in 1995, making Richardson second in terms of seniority among active Chiefs behind Will Shields. He quickly became ingrained in the community with his involvement in charity and civic endeavors. That, along with his two Pro Bowl appearances, made him one of the Chiefs’ most popular players. But Richardson’s contract expires next week, and it’s looking as if he will finish his career playing against the Chiefs rather than for them. He certainly sounds like a man preparing for that eventuality. “I definitely will become a free agent,” Richardson said. “This organization has been great to me. It’s allowed me to grow as a man and as a football player. I’ve got a lot going on in the community. But I’m open to playing somewhere else if I can’t work something out here. “It could become a reality. It’s a business, and it’s about what the organization wants to do. You have to be realistic about the situation.” Richardson heads a short list of Chiefs players who would become unrestricted free agents on Friday."

Insight: Richardson indicated his preference was to remain with the Chiefs and didn’t rule out the possibility he would eventually re-sign. He said he recently spoke at length with new Chiefs coach Herm Edwards but wouldn’t reveal whether he was told he was no longer part of their plans. Richardson is an integral part of the Chiefs offense, but with OC Al Saunders departure, the offense will undergo a minor makeover, and that face lift might not include Richardson. (TonyFinn/PFS)

I'll see if I can find the article where it was indicated that the Vikings and the Chiefs had similar offers on the table and Tony decided to leave.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I somewhat agree. Cutting either Wesley or Knight is necessary to free up some cap space, even if we're gonna eat some of their money next year. But we should keep the other as a backup.

And there's no reason at all to cut Law. He actually played well.

yeah, but is he worth the HUGE extension bonus, remember they say not to judge one game, and I remember him falling in a few games and only one game he made a couple INTs.

I like him too, but is he worth the amount. I forget what it was, if someone else has that information please share. It was something like 5 million roster bonus? On top of his salary??

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
yeah, but is he worth the HUGE extension bonus, remember they say not to judge one game, and I remember him falling in a few games and only one game he made a couple INTs.

I like him too, but is he worth the amount. I forget what it was, if someone else has that information please share. It was something like 5 million roster bonus? On top of his salary??

They never pay those bonuses. If they want to keep him, they'll restructure, just like they did with Kendrell Bell.

Mr. Laz
01-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Herman Edwards idea of football demands dominate play by the offensive and defensive line.

on offense you gotta have a line so good that they can block the defenders even though they know what play is coming.

on defense you have to be able to get most your pressure from just the front four.

everyone knows how freaking hard it is to get and keep dominate lines ... it's a long shot at best.

FringeNC
01-18-2007, 09:47 AM
He said he recently spoke at length with new Chiefs coach Herm Edwards but wouldn’t reveal whether he was told he was no longer part of their plans. Richardson is an integral part of the Chiefs offense, but with OC Al Saunders departure, the offense will undergo a minor makeover, and that face lift might not include Richardson. (TonyFinn/PFS)

So perhaps the loss of Richardson can't be used by the pro-Herm crowd as an excuse for Edwards' castration of the offense. Perhaps he told Tony he wasn't needed.

crazycoffey
They never pay those bonuses. If they want to keep him, they'll restructure, just like they did with Kendrell Bell.

if that's the case, then I am for it.

I just do not want to tie too much more money in him, we already have.

Zouk
Cutting Law makes no sense; all it does is create another hole to fill. I'd keep Wesley in case Pollard or Page struggles.

I agree with the rest of the list.

Law has a roster bonus of somewhere between 3 and 5 million due this March. We should definitely not pay it. He's become strictly a gambler at cornerback - he's lost his speed, he was terrible tackling in space (remember the Cleveland game), and he gets loads of penalties.

I think a player like David Barrett (who is also due a roster bonus and might get cut by the Jets) would be a much better and cheaper fit.

As for keeping Wesley or Knight as a backup, our 3rd safety needs to play special teams. Those guys can't/won't do that effectively. We need to get younger and faster.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 09:51 AM
what is the overall consensus for Boomer being a FB?

After thinking about it more, if he's for it and still plays special teams, I think he's a beast and likes to hit people. Plus he seems to be confined to only special teams now, as small as he is, he may never be a starter as MLB.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Local Girl takes the Title at NFL's National Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Jan 17, 2007, 2:24:29 PM

Caroline Farchmin of Mission Hills, Kansas (Girls 14-15) took home the national title in her age range much to the pleasure of her fellow students at St. Teresa’s Academy....

Sign her up, let her compete against Tynes.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Law has a roster bonus of somewhere between 3 and 5 million due this March. We should definitely not pay it. He's become strictly a gambler at cornerback - he's lost his speed, he was terrible tackling in space (remember the Cleveland game), and he gets loads of penalties.

I think a player like David Barrett (who is also due a roster bonus and might get cut by the Jets) would be a much better and cheaper fit.

As for keeping Wesley or Knight as a backup, our 3rd safety needs to play special teams. Those guys can't/won't do that effectively. We need to get younger and faster.

The roster bonus is a moot point, as I explained.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Not really. I'd rather pay the bonus this year than re-structure his contract to where we have a Kendrell Bell-type problem two years from now. Any extension to Law's contract would be stupid, IMO. Either pay him the bonus and the salary that was agreed upon, or cut him and stick Walls in there.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Not really. I'd rather pay the bonus this year than re-structure his contract to where we have a Kendrell Bell-type problem two years from now. Any extension to Law's contract would be stupid, IMO. Either pay him the bonus and the salary that was agreed upon, or cut him and stick Walls in there.

We don't have a Kendrell Bell problem. And we can extend Law's contract without hurting the cap at all.

Logical
01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
you know ditching all those mofos and taking the big cap hit THIS year migtnt be such a bad idea. Yeah we can't afford to spend any $ on players but at least they get the deadweight out the road for future seasons.

I am with you, so what we go 3-13 clear the cap space and we are ready to build a future. I say go for it.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM

You don't really believe this do you???

Stick Walls in there????

NO THANKS

he can stay third on the roster or leave too. Put a young buck in there that Herm "finds" Let him make a couple mistakes early, but Herm will buck him up quick.

NOT WALLS, please tell me you are the only one here that thinks walls is a Number 2 CB.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I am with you, so what we go 3-13 clear the cap space and we are ready to build a future. I say go for it.

You might as well put it out of your mind right now.

There's a better chance that we're invaded by aliens from the planet Venus tomorrow night...

Logical
01-18-2007, 10:20 AM
The way he talks about signing Black to be our starting LT is terrifying.Indeed, it smacks of the stupidity of the past on Hicks

Wile_E_Coyote
01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Does Teicher dress in black, live on antacids & have a bad combover? Not a guy to look to for confidence

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
YES.

Personally I agree, bober is not going to improve, and the younger guy should have room to. I even say youth if it's not a tie.

Logical
01-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Bob Dole hopes someone is taking notes of all the people who claim they will be "just fine" if this team is 2-14 or 3-13 next season.

Go ahead and put me on the list I will stand by my statement.

shaneo69
01-18-2007, 10:25 AM
You don't really believe this do you???

Stick Walls in there????

NO THANKS

he can stay third on the roster or leave too. Put a young buck in there that Herm "finds" Let him make a couple mistakes early, but Herm will buck him up quick.

NOT WALLS, please tell me you are the only one here that thinks walls is a Number 2 CB.

No, personally, I'd pay him the roster bonus and keep him. What htismaqe is saying is to change it to a signing bonus, which lessons the cap hit this year, but adds a pro-rated share of the bonus to 2008 and 2009's cap. If you keep it as a roster bonus, the entire bonus goes against the 2007 cap, but at least he won't count against your cap two years from now like Kendrell Bell's bonus is doing.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Personally I agree, bober is not going to improve, and the younger guy should have room to. I even say youth if it's not a tie.

My opinion is that whenever you have guys that produce similar results or have similar talent, you go with the younger guy.

To this day, I get chastised because I backed Grbac over Gannon for that very reason.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 10:29 AM
No, personally, I'd pay him the roster bonus and keep him. What htismaqe is saying is to change it to a signing bonus, which lessons the cap hit this year, but adds a pro-rated share of the bonus to 2008 and 2009's cap. If you keep it as a roster bonus, the entire bonus goes against the 2007 cap, but at least he won't count against your cap two years from now like Kendrell Bell's bonus is doing.

OK, sorry I didn't read that part of your opinion. I like law too, but I'm not sold on the roster bonus part. He did show a bit of inconsistancy this year and a 3rd or 4th rounder could fit in the system as long as he was quick and a good hitter, without losing that much D power.

Logical
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM

Really? This is the first I ever heard that. Bad blood between him and Carl?

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:31 AM

I'm not opposed to your idea, IF the team is going to bite the bullet and build for 2008.

They're not, so there's no way they're going to absorb his roster bonus.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Really? This is the first I ever heard that. Bad blood between him and Carl?

IIRC, the Vikings and Chiefs had similar offers on the table and he decided he wanted a change of scenery.

ferrarispider95
01-18-2007, 10:32 AM
I'll see if I can find the article where it was indicated that the Vikings and the Chiefs had similar offers on the table and Tony decided to leave.

Carl gave trich his best offer and he told the vikings if they would make him a better offer he would not accept it and not negotiate between the two teams.

Essentially Carl lowballed him and told him he wasn't worth a sh*t to keep the dollar figure down and vikings treated him like royalty when he came to visit.

Zouk
01-18-2007, 10:34 AM

His roster bonus is due before the start of free agency. If we don't pay it, we need to cut him or re-sign him prior to that date. Ty Law will not sign a new deal to keep him off the open market (where 25 plus teams have more cap space than the Chiefs) for less than 5 mill plus a year. You say nobody will pay that? Maybe so - but Law and his agents (the semi-notorious Poston brothers) have in the past showed their willingness to wait until July to find out if anyone will meet his price. Ar we just going to wait around until after the draft to maybe sign Law for a big number for 1 more year? It seems much better to find a decent (if less flashy) younger player, and try to draft a guy in the 3rd round or thereabouts.

Logical
01-18-2007, 10:40 AM
You might as well put it out of your mind right now.

There's a better chance that we're invaded by aliens from the planet Venus tomorrow night...

Oh I know, doing the right thing and potentially having empty seats for even one season is anathema to Carl as we all know. We can still dream.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
My opinion is that whenever you have guys that produce similar results or have similar talent, you go with the younger guy.

To this day, I get chastised because I backed Grbac over Gannon for that very reason.

I think the evaluation also has to include potential for growth with the younger guy. Case in point with bober being our C IF casey retires. bober is at the top of his game, no more room for improvement, he just isn't pressuring anyone for a starting spot. Case in point this year, he didn't make the roster high enough to start with Turley and Sampson hurt (and Svitek) that puts him fifth on our T roster behind these three and Black and Welbourn. Now he's being mentioned as a replacement for Casey??? that worries me. Even if the rookie FA has more growing to do, I say play him He's bigger and younger than Bober, and that fits our smash mouth running game now.

Again this is all IF casey retires, if he doesn't then I'm in a quandry, because casey is clearly more talented, but struggled this year because he's not strongest in the straight ahead run game. Can he get stronger in that aspect?? Could he be trade bait??? Do we run less over his ass and pull him a couple more times and play to his strenght?? That probably to logical for Herm to consider, but I guess we have to wait and see.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
His roster bonus is due before the start of free agency. If we don't pay it, we need to cut him or re-sign him prior to that date. Ty Law will not sign a new deal to keep him off the open market (where 25 plus teams have more cap space than the Chiefs) for less than 5 mill plus a year. You say nobody will pay that? Maybe so - but Law and his agents (the semi-notorious Poston brothers) have in the past showed their willingness to wait until July to find out if anyone will meet his price. Ar we just going to wait around until after the draft to maybe sign Law for a big number for 1 more year? It seems much better to find a decent (if less flashy) younger player, and try to draft a guy in the 3rd round or thereabouts.

We can convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus at any time. It doesn't change the amount of money he gets, it only changes how we account for it against the cap.

As far as other teams having cap space, that's also a moot point. Cap space is artificial - money on paper. Salary is not guaranteed. The only thing that matters to a player Law's age is the signing bonus, and any team that wants to pony up the cash, including the Chiefs, can pay that.

Zouk
01-18-2007, 11:09 AM
We can convert the roster bonus to a signing bonus at any time. It doesn't change the amount of money he gets, it only changes how we account for it against the cap.

As far as other teams having cap space, that's also a moot point. Cap space is artificial - money on paper. Salary is not guaranteed. The only thing that matters to a player Law's age is the signing bonus, and any team that wants to pony up the cash, including the Chiefs, can pay that.

Fine - but I just don't know why you want to spread out 3-5 million over the next 4 years when this is just going to create dead cap space in the future for a player who can likely start only 1 more year. You're advocating Redskins-style cap management.

We should clear out these big contracts for old players, so that we can have more flexibility with our cap in future years.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Fine - but I just don't know why you want to spread out 3-5 million over the next 4 years when this is just going to create dead cap space in the future for a player who can likely start only 1 more year. You're advocating Redskins-style cap management.

We should clear out these big contracts for old players, so that we can have more flexibility with our cap in future years.

Percentages - it's always more palatable to tie up 1% of your cap this year and 1% of your cap next than to tie up 2% of your cap this year. The mindset of the players, coaches, front offices, and fans are all firmly rooted in the here and now. There is no "next year" so any time you can push back money, you do. Then when the bills come due, you push them off again.

Not only that, but the cap is going up now due to the new CBA. For the sake of simplicity, let's say that Law is due a $10M bonus and the cap is $100M. If you do it this year, you tie up 10% of the cap. If you defer half of it to next year, and the cap goes up to $110M, you take a 5% hit this year, but only 4.5% next year.

It's all moot anyway. The Chiefs WILL NOT pay Law his bonus. And they won't cut him before June 1st and take the hit. Doing so would imply that they're going to slash and burn, sacrifice 2007, and build for 2008.

They simply won't do that.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Carl gave trich his best offer and he told the vikings if they would make him a better offer he would not accept it and not negotiate between the two teams.

Essentially Carl lowballed him and told him he wasn't worth a sh*t to keep the dollar figure down and vikings treated him like royalty when he came to visit.

Who the F*** cares? He's a 35 year-old fullback who didn't make it through the season. Enough already.

This team NEEDS to cut ties with everyone, just like the Titans did two years ago. Their cap was so screwed up that they had sign a ton of non-drafted free agents. Now look at them? 8-8 last year with a very real shot of going deep into the playoffs next year.

The players, coaches, fans and especially the front office needs to understand that for the Chiefs to get over this 14 year dry spell, they HAVE to start from scratch. With YOUTH.

Brock
01-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Who the F*** cares? He's a 35 year-old fullback who didn't make it through the season. Enough already.

This team NEEDS to cut ties with everyone, just like the Titans did two years ago. Their cap was so screwed up that they had sign a ton of non-drafted free agents. Now look at them? 8-8 last year with a very real shot of going deep into the playoffs next year.

The players, coaches, fans and especially the front office needs to understand that for the Chiefs to get over this 14 year dry spell, they HAVE to start from scratch. With YOUTH.

Agreed 100 percent. Move forward.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 11:29 AM

It'll never happen.

Kinda sad really.

The hardcore fans are READY for a 3-win season, but Carl doesn't care.

Thig Lyfe
01-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Yep. What a stupid thing to let happen. I mean, the Secret Weapon was great but now he's not as big a secret. And Grigsby at FB would be fun to watch, but not any match for T-Rich.

chiefsfan1963
01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
We're f**ked! No chance of serious run at a SB until the 2009 season, and that's if Herm proves to be a competent HC.

My only hope is that Herm continues to do well finding quality talent in the draft these next 2 years and we pick up contributors in the free agency world. Perhaps there is a chance these quality players' performance on the field will counteract the average boring gameplanning and mentality by our coaching staff.

If not, then at least the next HC and GM will have a lot to work with as far as talented players in their first year with the Chiefs.

ck_IN
01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
This is so ironic. The time to reboot was about 7 years ago. Marty had left, the team was parring down cap casualities. It was the perfect time to rebuild. Instead we went with Gunther.

After Gunther it was clearly time to rebuild but we spent five years on DV.

Now when it's past time to rebuild we're still talking about free agents and cutting selected people and doing everything BUT a rebuild. If we'd have taken the plunge 5 or 7 years ago we might have been a legitimate contender by now.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 12:25 PM
This is so ironic. The time to reboot was about 7 years ago. Marty had left, the team was parring down cap casualities. It was the perfect time to rebuild. Instead we went with Gunther.

Now when it's past time to rebuild we're still talking about free agents and cutting selected people and doing everything BUT a rebuild. If we'd have taken the plunge 5 or 7 years ago we might have been a legitimate contender by now.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2007, 12:26 PM
We're f**ked! No chance of serious run at a SB until the 2009 season, and that's if Herm proves to be a competent HC.

2009? If the Chiefs continue the same pattern they've had for the past 18 years, there's not going to be a Super Bowl EVER. Patching holes is NOT how you get a team to the Super Bowl! Show me the last team that patched holes year after year that went on to even APPEAR in a Super Bowl.

This teams needs to dump EVERYONE now and spend the next two seasons building towards the future. The only problem with that scenario is that if the Chiefs draft poorly and coach/teach poorly, the blame will lie directly with Peterson and his hand-picked coach.

So you guys are right: It'll never happen because Carl will never accept that type of responsibility.

RedThat
01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
2009? If the Chiefs continue the same pattern they've had for the past 18 years, there's not going to be a Super Bowl EVER. Patching holes is NOT how you get a team to the Super Bowl! Show me the last team that patched holes year after year that went on to even APPEAR in a Super Bowl.

This teams needs to dump EVERYONE now and spend the next two seasons building towards the future. The only problem with that scenario is that if the Chiefs draft poorly and coach/teach poorly, the blame will lie directly with Peterson and his hand-picked coach.

So you guys are right: It'll never happen because Carl will never accept that type of responsibility.

That's why he needs to go.

RedThat
01-18-2007, 12:34 PM
We wanna rebuild, get us a new frick'n general manager.

Calcountry
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Local Girl takes the Title at NFL's National Punt, Pass & Kick Competition

Jan 17, 2007, 2:24:29 PM

Caroline Farchmin of Mission Hills, Kansas (Girls 14-15) took home the national title in her age range much to the pleasure of her fellow students at St. Teresa’s Academy....

Sign her up, let her compete against Tynes.I don't know if she could hold up in a bar fight.

At this point, it looks as though next year is going to be mailed in so keep Tynes. We have enough holes to fill.

alanm
01-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Yep. What a stupid thing to let happen. I mean, the Secret Weapon was great but now he's not as big a secret. And Grigsby at FB would be fun to watch, but not any match for T-Rich.
There's a guy coming out of Nebraska Dane Todd FB made 1st team All Big 12. It's too bad we don't have a 4th rnd pick because he's probably not going to be around after the 3rd. He'll be starting for someone next fall.

Chiefnj
01-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Didn't DV rebuild the team?

CosmicPal
01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm all for cleaning house. Bring on the youth. Hell, I'd even be up for trading Larry Johnson for a few draft picks.

If we're going to be in a rebuilding mode for a couple of years, he'll just end up wearing the diapers on his head and become a bigger royal pain in the ass to deal with if the team is losing double digit games. Trade him now, dump all the old *****s, and build anew.

I'll still watch when nobody else is looking. I was one of those peeps who was a part of the lowest crowd ever in Arrowhead. I can suffer a shitty season or two just to be rewarded with a serious chance at a Super Bowl. Bring it on.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 12:45 PM
We wanna rebuild, get us a new frick'n general manager.

I'll take the job, sign me up.

I promise to make the planet happy as my number 1 priority!

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't know if she could hold up in a bar fight.

At this point, it looks as though next year is going to be mailed in so keep Tynes. We have enough holes to fill.

Personally I don't think Tynes is that bad, missed a few, yes, but I agree there are so many other holes to fill.

I made this comment tongue in cheek because of some planeteers calling for his head.

QuikSsurfer
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
ROFL

RedThat
01-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I'll take the job, sign me up.

I promise to make the planet happy as my number 1 priority!

LOL...good luck doing that?

If you have to do that, then be prepared to make a trade every week.

Release, cut half the roster. Fire the whole coaching staff. Then be prepared to face salary cap hell for the next ten to fifteen years.

RedThat
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh yeah, then if you mess up...it'll be dammit crazycoffey!! :cuss:

ck_IN
01-18-2007, 01:04 PM
<i>Didn't DV rebuild the team?</i>

I suppose that depends on your definition. To me rebuilding means bringing in youth and actually playing them. DV stocked the team, particualrly on offense, with aging veterans and refused to play the draftees. That's not rebuilding, that's retooling.

Now the vets are retired or aged out and the cupboards are bare due to the reaches made while drafting.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
I suppose that depends on your definition. To me rebuilding means bringing in youth and actually playing them. DV stocked the team, particualrly on offense, with aging veterans and refused to play the draftees. That's not rebuilding, that's retooling.

Now the vets are retired or aged out and the cupboards are bare due to the reaches made while drafting.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh yeah, then if you mess up...it'll be dammit crazycoffey!! :cuss:

I could live with that.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Teicher should be a columnist, not a journalist.

This article was his opinion, he didn't have any quotes or facts to back this article up. Now he had quotes from 3 weeks ago, but nothing up to date. If you're going to do an article like this, you might want to get an up to date interview with the head coach and GM, etc. The Star is terrible.

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 02:10 PM
This article is lame.

Delano
01-18-2007, 03:32 PM

There will be little to no crunchtime in the next year for Green, Huard, or Brodie to worry about. Can Trent withstand the beating behind the O-Line that Teicher suggested? Can Brodie take the punishment and use it in his progression and has he bulked up at all?

crazycoffey
01-18-2007, 03:37 PM
There will be little to no crunchtime in the next year for Green, Huard, or Brodie to worry about. Can Trent withstand the beating behind the O-Line that Teicher suggested? Can Brodie take the punishment and use it in his progression and has he bulked up at all?

good question, I was wondering about Brodie's weight gaining too.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM

I saw him up close in October (at the San Diego game) standing next to Green. Almost exactly the same size...

Delano
01-18-2007, 03:42 PM
I saw him up close in October (at the San Diego game) standing next to Green. Almost exactly the same size...

I am assuming you didn't notice, but I sure hope that he put on some major fat padding on his ass because if he plays behind the chiefs offensive line, he is going to need it.

htismaqe
01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
I am assuming you didn't notice, but I sure hope that he put on some major fat padding on his ass because if he plays behind the chiefs offensive line, he is going to need it.

He's played behind shitty offensive lines before. He's only had 2 major knee surgeries... :banghead:

HonestChieffan
01-18-2007, 04:47 PM
8 and 8 at best

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 04:55 PM
IIRC, the Vikings and Chiefs had similar offers on the table and he decided he wanted a change of scenery.

Not true. The Vikings structured the contract that was very tough for the Chiefs, not to mention his signing bonus and salary made him the highest paid FB ever by a large margin. I forget all the details now, but I had posted a more detailed breakdown of how the Vikings basically forced the hand and gave T.Rich too much $ to pass up. He'll be back with the Chiefs soon enough. Carl has already offered him a job in the Front Office when he retires.

suds79
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
How the he!! would we even think about resigning Jordan Black after his display of slow, weak & soft throughout the season.

That was about the only thing from the article that really got a rise out of me.

That and we don't need a FB.

Anyong Bluth
01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I"m not getting the FB situation either? Wilson seemed to find a good spot for himself there. Am I completely way off base and the guy was horrible in blocking b/c he did a lot more than he has this last year than all other years combined

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Can't wait to see some of the slugs cut off the roster. Hopefully Black will get an offer elsewhere.

Tribal Warfare
01-18-2007, 05:20 PM

The #1 priorirty is getting an O-line this offseason, and if it isn't you are correct

Halfcan
01-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Don't worry- Simms has gained enough for both of them.

htismaqe
01-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Not true. The Vikings structured the contract that was very tough for the Chiefs, not to mention his signing bonus and salary made him the highest paid FB ever by a large margin. I forget all the details now, but I had posted a more detailed breakdown of how the Vikings basically forced the hand and gave T.Rich too much $ to pass up. He'll be back with the Chiefs soon enough. Carl has already offered him a job in the Front Office when he retires.

ROFL

I can handle being wrong, especially when it turns out like this.

TEX
01-21-2007, 11:46 PM
8 and 8 at best

Yep. Now we're going to get to that point by having an aweful O and a good D. :shake:

TEX
01-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Defense

The Chiefs in the last few years of Dick Vermeil’s time as head coach thought they were one or two good players away from building a solid defense. So they lavished free-agent riches on players such as Bell, Knight and Law.They soon will pay for this strategy. Bell has by all measures been a lousy signing. Knight and Law might have made sense but don’t run well enough to be productive players in Edwards’ system.

Um... Someone needs to tell him that LAW SIGNED THIS YEAR. IF he wouldn't fit in Edwards system, then WHY SIGN HIM? :shake:

|Zach|
01-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I"m not getting the FB situation either? Wilson seemed to find a good spot for himself there. Am I completely way off base and the guy was horrible in blocking b/c he did a lot more than he has this last year than all other years combined
I don't think Wilson did a bad job at all....but I think they have other plans for him in this offense then being a traditional full back.

I would love to know more about this....

|Zach|
01-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't think Wilson did a bad job at all....but I think they have other plans for him in this offense then being a traditional full back.

I would love to know more about this....I remember talking with my friend after the game wondering if his good play meant he would stay at FB or if they would make him as more of a "utility" offensive player like we all envisioned in the start of his career.

Either way I love the things he has done for us and I look forward to his future in red.