PDA

View Full Version : Humans are becoming obsolete.

el borracho
01-18-2007, 03:46 AM
I just took a trip through the drive-through at McDonald's. They now have a machine to pour the soda. There is a mechanical arm which grabs a cup and drops it into a cup-holder on a conveyer belt. The belt then rotates around until the empty cup is positioned beneath the correct soda spicket and the soda fills the cup. Even the ice is added by a machine which satisfies special orders such as "lite ice" or "no ice".

None of that is really all that interesting or impressive but it certainly isn't cheap to have a machine do something any human can easily do. So the question becomes, "Why would McDonald's spend money on something like this?" I think we can rule out, "To make their employees lives better" so it must be $ related. I would guess that they are making machines to fill every one of their menial positions so that they won't need any humans at all in a few years. It's going to be like a cross between the auto checkout lines at Walmart and a snack machine.

Or maybe I've just up too late and am thinking too much?

Saggysack
01-18-2007, 03:50 AM
ROFL

Where have you been? Welcome to 1998. McDonalds has had those for years.

Sometimes I think I would rather have a machine prepare my order at a fast food place. Last thing I need is some teenager sticking their finger in my pop right after they picked their nose and scratched their ass. That's just me though.

Smed1065
01-18-2007, 04:35 AM
I agree, had a 'friend' that worked captain D's in 1982 that spit his chew in the batter because it was the only spit-toon...

I doubt the machine chews.

HMc
01-18-2007, 04:36 AM
which is crap cos if you go looking for a bit of teenaged ass they throw you in jail

MichaelH
01-18-2007, 05:45 AM
I'd also rather have a machine make my food than a teenager. I just went through the drive thru at McDonalds. The order was correct but the sausage and egg biscuit looked like it had been shipped in from Europe. And I asked for two creams for the coffee. I was five miles away before I took my first sip of black coffee. I guess it serves me right for even frequenting such a craptastic place.

Over-Head
01-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Or maybe I've just up too late and am thinking too much?
Your a Chiefs fan, this simply CAN'T be the problem :D

Chiefs_Fan
01-18-2007, 06:51 AM
It's all about their attempt to improve customer service. The machine make the drinks while the employee checks to make sure your order is wrong.

HMc
01-18-2007, 06:55 AM
It's all about their attempt to improve customer service. The machine make the drinks while the employee checks to make sure your order is wrong.

rofl

Baconeater
01-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I saw one of those at a Hardee's in OKC over ten years ago, but I've never seen one since then.

kepp
01-18-2007, 09:06 AM
"I'm afraid I cannot allow you to get that soda, el borracho"
http://www.jeffbots.com/hal.jpg

StcChief
01-18-2007, 09:30 AM
"I'm afraid I cannot allow you to get that soda, el borracho"
http://www.jeffbots.com/hal.jpg

No there's a flashback.

TrickyNicky
01-18-2007, 11:07 AM
There's also a little douche-nozzle on the robot arm that adds 50 CC's of human saliva to every soda. They want it to be authentic I suppose.

Chiefs_Fan
01-18-2007, 12:10 PM
There's also a little douche-nozzle on the robot arm that adds 50 CC's of human saliva to every soda. They want it to be authentic I suppose.

ROFL

Calcountry
01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I just took a trip through the drive-through at McDonald's. They now have a machine to pour the soda. There is a mechanical arm which grabs a cup and drops it into a cup-holder on a conveyer belt. The belt then rotates around until the empty cup is positioned beneath the correct soda spicket and the soda fills the cup. Even the ice is added by a machine which satisfies special orders such as "lite ice" or "no ice".

None of that is really all that interesting or impressive but it certainly isn't cheap to have a machine do something any human can easily do. So the question becomes, "Why would McDonald's spend money on something like this?" I think we can rule out, "To make their employees lives better" so it must be $ related. I would guess that they are making machines to fill every one of their menial positions so that they won't need any humans at all in a few years. It's going to be like a cross between the auto checkout lines at Walmart and a snack machine.

Or maybe I've just up too late and am thinking too much?Well, perhaps it has to do with the minimum wage going up to 7.50. Maybe, a machine will do its job and not complain about it, or call in sick, or piss off customers because they cannot subserviate themselves with a good attitude.

Calcountry
01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I'd also rather have a machine make my food than a teenager. I just went through the drive thru at McDonalds. The order was correct but the sausage and egg biscuit looked like it had been shipped in from Europe. And I asked for two creams for the coffee. I was five miles away before I took my first sip of black coffee. I guess it serves me right for even frequenting such a craptastic place.They never put cream in the Coffee.