PDA

View Full Version : Had too many?Call 911

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I love the idea (http://tinyurl.com/2ah24d) but I wonder if that ride could include a quick stop at the Taco bell drive-thru?

SHALIMAR, Fla. - Residents in this Panhandle town can call the police for a ride home if they have had too many drinks. The new service was posted in the town's online newsletter Jan. 2, according to the Northwest Florida Daily News. The Shalimar police will take residents who are too drunk to drive home from as far as 25 miles away.

"Some other people do the New Year's Eve thing and (the police) were talking, 'Why do it just on New Year's Eve?'" said Tom Burns, the town manager. "We've got the capability to do it probably year-round."

Residents who get stranded because of mechanical problems also can call for a ride.

Burns said the guidelines for the program are still loose and could be changed over time. He said police will have to use commonsense if someone seems to be taking advantage of the service.

Police Chief John E. Cash said he's heard other departments offering a similar service, at least during the holiday season.

"We're going above and beyond that," Cash said. "I don't think a lot of agencies do it."

DaKCMan AP
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't know if they'll take you to Taco Bell, but I doubt there'd be any objections about Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme.

Chiefs_Fan
01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
But I doubt that they would let you finish your beer on the way home.

chagrin
01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm sure that Khatru has already availed himself of this service many times already, heh

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 10:50 AM
I can see the dialogue between drunk person and operator being quite entertaining.

"Sir,where are you at?"

"A b-bar."

"Yes sir but which bar?"

"That one wi-wi-with the cute wa-waitress."

"Sir what's the name?"

"I-I don't kn-know,she she wouldn't tell me her her name."

"Sir,I need the name of the bar."

"I'll b-be right back I hafta pee."

Nzoner
01-18-2007, 10:59 AM
But I doubt that they would let you finish your beer on the way home.

So I guess stopping for a 12 pack is out of the question.