PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Samardzija to quit football

OnTheWarpath58
01-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Kind of a surprise since he was slated to be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6385348?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Cubs prospect Jeff Samardzija, a record-breaking receiver at Notre Dame, is giving up football for baseball, FOXSports.com has learned.

Samardzija, a right-handed pitcher, was the Cubs' fifth-round pick last summer and projected as a first-round pick in the NFL draft.

He signed a $7.25 million contract with the Cubs and went 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA in seven starts at Class A last summer before returning to Notre Dame for his senior football season

jspchief
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Gil freaking Meche is making more per year than 80% of pro football players.

Can you blame him?

Amnorix
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
It's brilliant, actually. He oculdn't get separation from good CBs in college ball, while destroying average/mediocre college CBs.

NFL CBs would shut him down. Plus more $$ in baseball.

Cochise
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
If you could play baseball instead of football and didn't, your and idiot.

ck_IN
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Supposedly he can throw it for strikes around 98mph. A fastball like that with control could make for a very long career. Especially if he can develop a curve and changeup.

JBucc
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Good now we can't draft him

OnTheWarpath58
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Gil freaking Meche is making more per year than 80% of pro football players.

Can you blame him?

Not at all.

Just had been told by a friend of his on the team that as late as this November, he had planned to attempt both.

He has the talent to succeed at both, that's for sure.

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Doesnt matter what sport you do, Steroids will always be around.

Mecca
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
You only get that kind of money in baseball if you make it......

Football doesn't have 4 minor league levels you have to make it through first.

Chiefnj
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't understand NCAA rules. A football player can get suspended if he is handed a free pair of sneakers. But, you are allowed to sign a 7+ million dollar contract to play professional baseball? I'm assuming he worked with a pro agent when signing that contract.

chagrin
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
watch him disappear like henson, booty and everyone else that does this. We'll see him on someone's team in 5 years, only for a moment

Cochise
01-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Tell that to Alex Gordon's $5 million upfront or whatever it was.

Thig Lyfe
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
If you could play baseball instead of football and didn't, your and idiot.

Tell that to Jarrad Page!

(Or Dan Marino or John Elway.)

Mecca
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Well #2 pick......it doesn't compare to the guarenteed money the #2 pick in the NFL draft will get.

Thig Lyfe
01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
He should declare for the draft with the understanding that he would only play for the Bears. He said in an interview that he would want to play for the Bears and do both there in Chicago.

DaKCMan AP
01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Good. Thought he was a punk and wouldn't be that great in the NFL.

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 01:51 PM

(Or Dan Marino or John Elway.)

Now wasnt John Elway or Marino trying out for the Royals at one time?

Can you imagine if John Elway or Marino played their whole career with the Royals?

Reaper16
01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Supposedly he can throw it for strikes around 98mph. A fastball like that with control could make for a very long career. Especially if he can develop a curve and changeup.
The key was your mentioning the off-speed pitches. Ambiorix Burgos coukd reach 100mph for strikes w/ his heater, but he didn't have a breaking ball that he could get over the zone with. He's now been traded to the Mets and barely has a career, basically. Only in his early twenties, too.
Basically, a big league fastball isn't everything to a solid pitching career.

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
NM found it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Elway

In 1979, Elway was drafted out of high school by the Kansas City Royals to play baseball in the Major League Baseball.

Redrum_69
01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
and for the fans...

http://www.johnelway.com/

sedated
01-19-2007, 01:56 PM

and Alex Smith's $24 million?

Hound333
01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
The difference I see is that Baseball has contracts you can't break. They sign and they have to pay you. Football can drop you and not have to pay you a cent.

RJ
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

"He signed a $7.25 million contract with the Cubs and went 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA in seven starts at Class A last summer before returning to Notre Dame for his senior football season...."

I'm thinking if he never makes it past A ball he'll still be financially sound. He has 7.25 million reasons to play baseball.

Cochise
01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
and Alex Smith's $24 million?

I think Vick's cap number was like $8 million I heard the other day and he's the league's highest paid player isn't he?

You don't even have to be that great in baseball to make $8 million. That is what somebody like Kenny Rogers was making. Sure, he's a decent pitcher, but not the class of the league by any means.

According to baseball reference Manny Ramirez in his 13 year career has made over $126 million in salary. And he has two option years left on his contract at $20 million each. All guaranteed.

In baseball you can play for 10 or 15 years in some cases. How many players last that long in the NFL? Who aren't kickers or punters?

If you don't think you can make it to the majors, sure, go play in the NFL. If you are someone who thinks they could play at a high level in either sport you'd be dumb to play football.

chief52
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Looks like a new contract pretty much made him come around to baseball's way of thinking.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2736354

Cubs sign Samardzija five-year, $10 million dealAssociated Press

CHICAGO -- Jeff Samardzija decided to give up football and stay with baseball.

The former Notre Dame receiver, projected as a first-round pick in the NFL draft this April, agreed Friday to a $10 million, five-year contract to pitch for the Chicago Cubs.

"Baseball is my first love. I played it my whole life," Samardzija said.

Samardzija, 21 year-old right-hander, was the Cubs' fifth-round pick in last year's amateur draft and made seven starts for their Class A teams at Boise and Peoria last summer, posting a 2.70 ERA.

He returned to Notre Dame and helped the Irish make the Sugar Bowl, catching 78 passes for 1,017 yards. He also played baseball during his career at Notre Dame

His deal includes a $2.5 million signing bonus and the Cubs hold options for a sixth and seventh seasons in 2012 and 2013. If the options are exercised, the deal would be worth $16.5 million over seven years.

Samardzija said there would be no returning to football, even though he's headed for a stint in the minor leagues, probably starting at Class A Daytona after spring training. The deal also includes a no-trade clause.

Thinking It Over

With the question of whether to play professional baseball or head to the Senior Bowl looming earlier this week, Jeff Samardzija talked with ESPN The Magazine's Amy K. Nelson to share his thought process. Story

"He has offered at any time in the five-year period to give the [signing bonus] money back. He wanted to make everything clear that there wasn't any turning back," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said.

Samardzija's fastball was clocked at 97 mph last summer and Hendry said the Cubs project him one day to be a "high-end starter."

Samardzija, 21-6 in 50 college baseball games, said he spent 10 to 12 hours a day weighing the decision on which sport to pursue.

He said Irish coach Charlie Weis was supportive when he told him he was turning to baseball.

"He was excited. He wished me the best and he asked for Cubs tickets," Samardzija said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

sedated
01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I think Vick's cap number was like $8 million I heard the other day and he's the league's highest paid player isn't he?

I thought it was Peyton Manning, but I saw a stat that had Carson Palmer with the highest 1-year NFL salary at around $16 million (as for how translates into a cap number, i don't know)

Samardzija can get the $7 or 10 million in his first contract, and they have to pay him. But if you're a first round pick, you get more than that in a signing bonus.

Not saying I disagree, baseball is way easier on the body, and you have a longer career. just sayin...

L.A. Chieffan
01-19-2007, 04:17 PM

Hey, random thought. Has anybody seen that Gatorade commercial they're running right now with the guy on the treadmill and in the background they show Jarrad Page. Is that Page on the treadmill?

88TG88
01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey, random thought. Has anybody seen that Gatorade commercial they're running right now with the guy on the treadmill and in the background they show Jarrad Page. Is that Page on the treadmill?
I saw that to. some young faced guy came on chuging gatorade wit chiefs highlights in the back. anybody know ?

Douche Baggins
01-19-2007, 04:20 PM
He kind of struck me as the white Keyshawn anyway...at best another Joe Jurevicius.

DaKCMan AP
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Speaking of gatorade..

Go Gators :D

ChiefsCountry
01-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Some team will take him in 7th just to keep rights to him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-19-2007, 04:42 PM
He got drafted by the Cubs, which should seal his fate.

That being said, he made the right financial decision.

chief52
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Some team will take him in 7th just to keep rights to him.

He is a free agent if you do not sign him the first year. You can not keep the rights to a player.

Dick Bull
01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
He is a free agent if you do not sign him the first year. You can not keep the rights to a player.

doesn't work that way---see bo jackson

chief52
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
doesn't work that way---see bo jackson

Really? I know it does in baseball, but I have no exact football knowledge. Didn't Henson show up for a tryout in front of a bunch of teams, the Chiefs included? Guess maybe he was never drafted.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
If you draft a player you own his rights for one year...Bo got drafted by the Bucs, sat out, and then was a late round pick of the Raiders, who he signed with shortly thereafter.

Ultra Peanut
03-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Okay, this guy is ****ing awesome. It was only two innings of work in a spring training game, but holy crap, he's going to be GOOD.

Please keep him as far away from Kerry and Prior's quarantine bubble as possible.

Ebolapox
03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Okay, this guy is ****ing awesome. It was only two innings of work in a spring training game, but holy crap, he's going to be GOOD.

Please keep him as far away from Kerry and Prior's quarantine bubble as possible.

how'd he do?

dj56dt58
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
how'd he do?
Gave up a single to Bonds...other than that pretty good...

Thig Lyfe
03-13-2007, 04:08 PM
He should work out a way to play for the Bears.

Skip Towne
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
A white WR? I dunno. What's his 40 time?

Coach
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM

His slider is a good release point away from becoming his second plus pitch.

Mile High Mania
03-13-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't know why a team wouldn't spend a 6 or 7th round pick (esp a 7th) on him just for the "what if" scenario.