PDA

View Full Version : Fox going on about black coaches in the NFL

SNR
01-21-2007, 01:43 PM
For crying out loud, shut the **** up.

I'm sorry, but this bullshit about minority coaches finally getting an opportunity and how it's a "step in the right direction" is just plain retarded.

Drawing attention to the so-called "issue" will make it an issue. The minority rule in hiring a head coach I'd say is fair, yes, but even then it's completely infringing on a team's search process.

I thought CBS and FOX were seperated from the ****tards at ESPN. I guess I was wrong.

Bearcat
01-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I wasn't really paying attention, but I looked up a couple of times to hear someone they were interviewing say stuff along the lines of how race isn't an issue... it's funny when the media tries to make news. It's hilarious when it gets shoved back in their face.

HonestChieffan
01-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Nothing compared to MediaLove for Obama

Simplex3
01-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh, my favorite part of this constant d**k sucking is that blacks are already over-represented in the head coaching ranks if you follow the percentages of the population in general.

Between that and their "We've done nothing for the people of New Orleans" piece with Bradshaw I felt like I was about to grow a bleeding vagina.

Silock
01-21-2007, 02:09 PM
If they're the best man for the job, they'll be interviewed regardless of skin color. The owners want to win, too, and the best way to put butts in the seats and sell merchandise is to succeed as a franchise.

If I were black, I'd be insulted at being paraded around in the interview process on the basis of my skin color rather than the merits of my resume. If anything, this promotes racism.

Silock
01-21-2007, 02:09 PM
I felt like I was about to grow a bleeding vagina.

Got pics? A/S/L?

Simplex3
01-21-2007, 02:10 PM
If anything, this enforces racism.
Fixed your post.

Simplex3
01-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Got pics? A/S/L?
Note the phrase "felt like".

the Talking Can
01-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Oh, my favorite part of this constant d**k sucking is that blacks are already over-represented in the head coaching ranks if you follow the percentages of the population in general.

Between that and their "We've done nothing for the people of New Orleans" piece with Bradshaw I felt like I was about to grow a bleeding vagina.

well it's good you don't have any issues with it....yikes

Silock
01-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Note the phrase "felt like".

TTIWWP

siberian khatru
01-21-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree with what Mike Greenberg said on ESPN radio last week ... he hadn't even thought about it until USA Today did a story on it -- and he thought that was a good thing (not noticing it, that is). If we're seeing Dungy and Smith as just coaches, not black coaches, then that represents progress.

Simplex3
01-21-2007, 02:28 PM
I agree with what Mike Greenberg said on ESPN radio last week ... he hadn't even thought about it until USA Today did a story on it -- and he thought that was a good thing (not noticing it, that is). If we're seeing Dungy and Smith as just coaches, not black coaches, then that represents progress.
I read an article in some California newspaper about a year ago where a bunch of civil rights leaders were bemoaning the fact that kids today don't talk about race and consider it in their daily lives.

HonestChieffan
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
New Orleans was a sewer before Katrina and will always be a sewer. Any money spent there is wasted on the politicians of the city and state. Heartless maybe but truth is truth.

Simplex3
01-21-2007, 02:33 PM
New Orleans was a sewer before Katrina and will always be a sewer. Any money spent there is wasted on the politicians of the city and state. Heartless maybe but truth is truth.
Millions of federal dollars over the years sent down there for levee improvements just disappeared. Wonder where that went.

SNR
01-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I agree with what Mike Greenberg said on ESPN radio last week ... he hadn't even thought about it until USA Today did a story on it -- and he thought that was a good thing (not noticing it, that is). If we're seeing Dungy and Smith as just coaches, not black coaches, then that represents progress.Absolutely. And that's what gets me about doing a huge story on this. The fact that nobody mentioned the Colts vs. the Chiefs as a game between two black coaches was great.

Ari Chi3fs
01-21-2007, 03:01 PM
I finished reading Buck O'Neil's Book, 'I Was Right On Time'.

Its amazing what those athletes in the Negro League had to go through to make a living. The Jim Crow laws and other type of shit.

They had some of the best athletes back in the day... and as they aged they were certainly qualified to be coaches/managers.

The fact that it has taken so long for blacks to become a fixture in roles of responsibility in sports is ludicrous.

I'm glad its finally happened... if they want to celebrate it, feel free.

There has NEVER been a black head coach in the Superbowl. This year there could be two.

Simplex3
01-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Its amazing what those athletes in the Negro League had to go through to make a living. The Jim Crow laws and other type of shit.

They had some of the best athletes back in the day... and as they aged they were certainly qualified to be coaches/managers.

The fact that it has taken so long for blacks to become a fixture in roles of responsibility in sports is ludicrous.

There has NEVER been a black head coach in the Superbowl. This year there could be two.
IMO it isn't celebrating, it's bitching about how we haven't come far enough. It's habit in this country to worry and fret about race.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2007, 03:12 PM
This thread is like a MENSA meeting.

ChiefaRoo
01-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I like black people. I'm particularily fascinated with the girls' round booties.

Mr. Plow
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a black friend.

Skip Towne
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Millions of federal dollars over the years sent down there for levee improvements just disappeared. Wonder where that went.
:shrug: Are any of Huey Long's relatives in the gubment down there?

milkman
01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I have a black friend.

I was a blackshoe in the Navy.

El Jefe
01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you for saying this, I am tired of this crap. Yes they are African American we know we dont need to keep hearing that. They earned it to be there and it doesnt matter to me that they are black.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Wow... this thread is rather stunning.

What happened today was historic.

The media and most sports fans routinely celebrate historic accomplishments like this (often, even when they are far, far more trival).

The problem people should be bitching about isn't that the media is making this a story about race... that part is to be celebrated (at the very least a little bit).

It's that this great story will be so over exposed... so driven into the ground... as the sports media loves to do... and as happens with dozens of stories during the 2 weeks period before the Super Bowl... that it will become trivalized and presumably good people will start playing the part of resident racist by bitching about racial issues when it's really about mindless media driving yet-another noteworthy story into the ground.

ChiefaRoo
01-22-2007, 12:12 AM

The media and most sports fans routinely celebrate historic accomplishments like this (often, even when they are far, far more trival).

The problem people should be bitching about isn't that the media is making this a story about race... that part is to be celebrated (at the very least a little bit).

It's that this great story will be so over exposed... so driven into the ground... as the sports media loves to do... and as happens with dozens of stories during the 2 weeks period before the Super Bowl... that it will become trivalized and presumably good people will start playing the part of resident racist by bitching about racial issues when it's really about mindless media driving yet-another noteworthy story into the ground.

Ummm, be quiet.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 12:14 AM
IMO it isn't celebrating, it's bitching about how we haven't come far enough. It's habit in this country to worry and fret about race.
If there is any element of bitching implict in the celebration (and it's definately a celebration, but maybe not exclusively a celebration)... it's not that "we haven't come far enough"... it's bitching that it took too long to come this far.

That's a fair bitch, IMO.

It's a patently unfair bitch to complain that we haven't come far enough. At least as far as the NFL goes. The NFL is amazingly advanced in this area. College football has some catching up to do, but they are getting there.

SNR
01-22-2007, 11:58 AM

It's that this great story will be so over exposed... so driven into the ground... as the sports media loves to do... and as happens with dozens of stories during the 2 weeks period before the Super Bowl... that it will become trivalized and presumably good people will start playing the part of resident racist by bitching about racial issues when it's really about mindless media driving yet-another noteworthy story into the ground.Exactly. I'm excited that diversity is finally at the NFL head coaching ranks.

So then you should agree with me. FOX was already talking about this story before we even knew the teams in the Super Bowl. How anti-climactic would that be if the Saints and Patriots won?

Fire Me Boy!
01-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Just wait till Herm starts talking all the time about how he's the head coach, he used to be a player, and how he's black.

"I'm the head coach. The players listen to me because I used to play the game. I was a player, you know. Man, we'll be in the SuperBowl next year... me and Denny Green. We're black."

greg63
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Uuuuuuummmmm; :nosmilie: ???

jAZ
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Exactly. I'm excited that diversity is finally at the NFL head coaching ranks.

So then you should agree with me. FOX was already talking about this story before we even knew the teams in the Super Bowl. How anti-climactic would that be if the Saints and Patriots won?
The media covers it's ass when it comes to finding a storyline to promote. Had the Saint's been in, it would have been "Americas Team". Had the Pats gone in, it would be "Greatest team ever???".

They covered all of these story lines before the game.

The media was damn sure going to pick something to talk about. That some find celebrating where the NFL has come WRT racical opportunity , equality and achievement ... objectionable says a great deal, it seems.

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
If there is any element of bitching implict in the celebration (and it's definately a celebration, but maybe not exclusively a celebration)... it's not that "we haven't come far enough"... it's bitching that it took too long to come this far.

That's a fair bitch, IMO.
Unless you have a time machine than all you're doing is bitching.

FringeNC
01-22-2007, 12:24 PM
If only Smith and Dungy WERE actually role models instead of rappers, Michael Vick, and Randy Moss.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Unless you have a time machine than all you're doing is bitching.
What do you mean?

acesn8s
01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
I was in New Orleans before Katrina. It is still the same S***hole it was before but now Bradgelina live there. :banghead:

jAZ
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
If only Smith and Dungy WERE actually role models instead of rappers, Michael Vick, and Randy Moss.
Same question to you. ??

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
What do you mean?
You drive from Kansas City to Wichita. When you get there you start bitching that you didn't get there soon enough. Unless you have a time machine that's all you're doing is bitching.

crazycoffey
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
You drive from Kansas City to Wichita. When you get there you start bitching that you didn't get there soon enough. Unless you have a time machine that's all you're doing is bitching.

Great analogy, Good form!

acesn8s
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM

When will the other races have thier time to celebrate thier accomplishments like Asian History Month or Mexican History Month?

FringeNC
01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Same question to you. ??

I'm not sure what question you are asking me, but I view Smith and Dungy as successful guys who happen to be black. I guess my point is that their achievement will be lost on those who could really learn something from it. Smith and Dungy have no "street cred".

jAZ
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry, that was self evident. I didn't look closely at your post and thought your reply was to a different comment of mine.

I'm sure that to some extent, it is "just bitching". But part of it is that we need to be able to talk about where we are and where we aren't and how we did or didn't get where we should have been sooner or later.

If (like driving between two locations) the issue might happen more than once, we are sure to have other inter-personal rights/opportunities issues ahead of us.

Discussing (bitching) how things worked... didn't work... should have worked... could have worked better... can be objectively useful in avoiding repeat of problems (even if it's not EXACTLY identical problems).

But I'll concede that some of it is just bitching. But even that's not unique to race issues.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure what question you are asking me, but I view Smith and Dungy as successful guys who happen to be black. I guess my point is that their achievement will be lost on those who could really learn something from it. Smith and Dungy have no "street cred".
I don't think "their achievement" will be lost on the group of people you seem to be thinking of... I think maybe the entirety of what it took to achieve this might be lost on some/many people.

Their achievement is the result of institutional changes within the NFL (institution of a diversity interviewing policy that people even recently were bitching that they had ever been installed) which permitted good coaches to get their foot in the door.

Those changes (ie, the interview policy) will be acknowleged by many/all as having been important to enabling this to happen. However, (and I think this is partly your point) there is more than just this policy change that helped Dungy/Smith to get to the Super Bowl. It took hard work, talent, ability, leadership and all the other things that white coaches needed to demonstrate in order to get to their teams to the Super Bowl in the past.

That latter part is less "sexy" a topic for the media and people to pay attention to. And that part is lost of everyone (white or black) all too often.

fan4ever
01-22-2007, 01:20 PM

What is the quote again? Something like, "...I dream of a day when my children will be judged on the content of their character, and not by the color of their skin"?

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
What is the quote again? Something like, "...I dream of a day when my children will be judged on the content of their character, and not by the color of their skin"?
MLK would hate today's race pimps almost as much as he hated the white racists. Maybe more since they're doing it out of greed rather than hate.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 01:30 PM
This event (2 black HC's in the super bowl) is an example of how much closer the NFL is to that vision today than it was 10 years ago. It's an event to be celebrated, not to be bitched about.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
MLK would hate today's race pimps almost as much as he hated the white racists. Maybe more since they're doing it out of greed rather than hate.
Who in this discussion qualifies as a "race pimp"? Not saying such a person doesn't exist and not saying you are wrong about your estimation of MLK's thoughts on them... but who are you thinking of when you say that?

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Who in this discussion qualifies as a "race pimp"? Not saying such a person doesn't exist and not saying you are wrong about your estimation of MLK's thoughts on them... but who are you thinking of when you say that?
Mostly the Al Sharptons and Jessie Jacksons of the world, but there are hundreds of people making a damn fine living and career out of ensuring the continuation of racism.

Personally I think MLK would be furious with crap like Affirmative Action.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Mostly the Al Sharptons and Jessie Jacksons of the world, but there are hundreds of people making a damn fine living and career out of ensuring the continuation of racism.

Personally I think MLK would be furious with crap like Affirmative Action.
Oddly enough, the primary reason that Dungy and Smith are in the positions they are (playing for a Super Bowl) is that owners agreed to install an Affirmative Action policy towards interviewing heac coaches... a policy that opened the doors to many black coaches.

Like it or not, Affirmative Action works.

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Oddly enough, the primary reason that Dungy and Smith are in the positions they are (playing for a Super Bowl) is that owners agreed to install an Affirmative Action policy towards interviewing heac coaches... a policy that opened the doors to many black coaches.

Like it or not, Affirmative Action works.
Bulls**t.

The owners who are racists will interview a black coach to comply with the policy then go ahead and hire a white coach.

Owners who don't care will interview and hire guys based on how good the think they'll be and ignore skin color.

So how does this policy help that situation?

BigRedChief
01-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Bulls**t.

The owners who are racists will interview a black coach to comply with the policy then go ahead and hire a white coach.

Owners who don't care will interview and hire guys based on how good the think they'll be and ignore skin color.

So how does this policy help that situation?well unless we are in the room of the GM's owners we will never know for sure but look at the results since the policy.

What about the cordinator in Minnesota? From what I heard he's got a weak resume. 1 year only as a cordinator? He must have impressed in the interview. Maybe without the NFL rule he never gets the interview and oppertunity to sell himself?

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
well unless we are in the room of the GM's owners we will never know for sure but look at the results since the policy.

What about the cordinator in Minnesota? From what I heard he's got a weak resume. 1 year only as a cordinator? He must have impressed in the interview. Maybe without the NFL rule he never gets the interview and oppertunity to sell himself?
So in your perfect world guys with weak resumes and no credentials get hired for jobs simply because they're black, while perfectly good white candidates are ignored. Check.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Bulls**t.

So how does this policy help that situation?
The owners who aren't racist are compelled to reach out beyond their familiar network to interview. That wasn't happening widely before.

The policy change affected who gets to sit in front of the owner and try to make a good impression. It won't get them the job and it won't win them the super bowl. But we are comparing today to a time when the black coaches never even got an interview.

BigRedChief
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
So in your perfect world guys with weak resumes and no credentials get hired for jobs simply because they're black, while perfectly good white candidates are ignored. Check.
jeezzz are we stuck in the 70's?
No way the Steelers hire the guy because he was black.
He must have a plan, new ideas whatever

His resume:
2006: Defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. 2001-2005: Defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. NCAA:
1999-2000: Defensive backs coach at Cincinnati. 1998: Defensive backs coach at Arkansas State. 1997: Wide receivers coach at Arkansas State. 1996: Graduate assistant at Memphis. 1995: Wide receivers coach at Virginia Military Institute.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM

His resume:
2006: Defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. 2001-2005: Defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. NCAA:
1999-2000: Defensive backs coach at Cincinnati. 1998: Defensive backs coach at Arkansas State. 1997: Wide receivers coach at Arkansas State. 1996: Graduate assistant at Memphis. 1995: Wide receivers coach at Virginia Military Institute.
Apparently he's an absolute rock-star and natural born leader.

Brock
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM

His resume:

Wow, his resume is almost as impressive as Dick Curl's.

crazycoffey
01-22-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm still digging

jidar
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
My favorite part is how Simplex is so obviously not racist.

Seriously, I didn't think two shits about what color the coaches were until it was all over the radio this morning. I simply didn't think about it at all.

ChiefaRoo
01-22-2007, 10:23 PM
The owners who aren't racist are compelled to reach out beyond their familiar network to interview. That wasn't happening widely before.

The policy change affected who gets to sit in front of the owner and try to make a good impression. It won't get them the job and it won't win them the super bowl. But we are comparing today to a time when the black coaches never even got an interview.

Blah, blah, blah. You're a real liberal pussy aren't you? Just be a Cardinals fan and leave us alone.

Garcia Bronco
01-22-2007, 10:37 PM

His resume:

That 95 VMI team was good.

Obviously the Steelers like to grow with a coach.