PDA

View Full Version : Question for MacBook users

unothadeal
01-21-2007, 04:52 PM
I just bought a mackbook and wondering if there's any way to access the internet without clicking on the safari icon. Anybody know how to do it, or at least have a clue of what i'm talking about?

duncan_idaho
01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I just bought a mackbook and wondering if there's any way to access the internet without clicking on the safari icon. Anybody know how to do it, or at least have a clue of what i'm talking about?

Safari is your default web browser... if you want to use Firefox or another alternative, you'll have to use Safari to download a different browser (google search probably is your best bet).

Firefox is probably the best alternative you have to Safari...

jAZ
01-21-2007, 05:21 PM
why?

NewChief
01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm not exactly what you're asking. Yes, you can connect to the internet without using Safari. Safari has nothing to do with your internet connection, as it's just a web browser. The app that handles your internet connection is called Internet Connect. It should be in your Applications folder.

unothadeal
01-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Okay thanks guys. Now I've got another one for you. Which format do I use to install MSN Messenger with? It keeps opening as a Word document

DenverChief
01-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Okay thanks guys. Now I've got another one for you. Which format do I use to install MSN Messenger with? It keeps opening as a Word document

I'm still figuring out this macbook thing myself -- after 2 ibooks -- I think you need to download stuffit expander

NewChief
01-22-2007, 06:48 PM

What's the file extension on it? That is: what's the series of letters at the end of the filename? Such as chiefs.jpg is a .jpg.

NewChief
01-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Okay, I went and looked it up. It downloads as a .dmg which is a disk image. When you download it, it should create a disk image icon on your desktop. Open it up. It should have an install file within it that you double click, and it runs the install program. They usually have a readme file with instructions within the disk image.

unothadeal
01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Install_Messenger_no
us.exe

That's what it reads under the icon

VDPrez
01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
LOL!

MACS ARE INTUITIVE!!!!

NewChief
01-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Install_Messenger_no
us.exe

Are you downloading MSN Messenger for Macs? Sounds like you got the windows version. Go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=msnmessenger

Assuming your Macbook is new running 10.3, get version 6.0.1

Fish
01-22-2007, 07:01 PM
http://www.bobreyes.com/images/macads.JPG

F'n liars.......

unothadeal
01-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Are you downloading MSN Messenger for Macs? Sounds like you got the windows version. Go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=msnmessenger

Assuming your Macbook is new running 10.3, get version 6.0.1

I'm an idiot. Thank you sir

NewChief
01-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I just downloaded and started the installation on my wife's G5 with zero problems. You just need to get the Mac version, now the Windows version. Ignore the peanut gallery as well.

NewChief
01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm an idiot. Thank you sir

No problem. Good luck with the MS product. We run about 3 seriously CPU intensive graphics programs simultaneously on our G5 with zero problems. The only time we have to force quit anything is when we're running M$ crap.

DaneMcCloud
01-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm still figuring out this macbook thing myself -- after 2 ibooks -- I think you need to download stuffit expander

You shouldn't have to download anything, especially if you're using OSX. Just verify that you're downloading the OSX version of any files and you should be good.

penguinz
01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
This thread is hilarious!

headsnap
01-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Install_Messenger_no
us.exe

If you are using Mac OSX, you downloaded the wrong file, you have downloaded the PC file.

Rausch
01-22-2007, 09:37 PM
http://searchcgi.apple.com/cgi-bin/sp/nph-search-downloads.pl

HMc
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
just for good measure, im gonna point out that you d'l'd the pc version of the file