PDA

View Full Version : Any carpenters/remodelers out there

John_Locke
01-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I have a wall in my family room ...actually a 1/2 wall that I would like to have shelves built to hold CD's DVD's ect...

I am curious as to cost and advice on wood ect.

I would like it to go from ceiling to the 1/2 where the basement ledge comes up... and from wall to wall. Kind of like a big shadow box style.

the wood in our house is dark walnut I think and I would like it to match as closely as possible

what sort of price range would I be looking at and what is the best way to achieve the look I want. Regular pine and stain it or what?

will see if I can find a picture.

Phobia
01-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I seriously doubt you have walnut trim throughout your house. You probably have a darkly stained pine or oak.

There's no way to know how much that would cost. It can cost as much or as little as you like depending on how elaborate you'd like to have the shelving look.

Hoover
01-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Hmmm, I'd use walnut

John_Locke
01-21-2007, 06:49 PM
what should I look out for when I get estimates?

I am good with cars but suck at carpentry

Phobia
01-21-2007, 06:51 PM
You should look for somebody who does nice looking carpentry work and stands behind their work. Don't necessarily take the cheapest bid.

Mr. Plow
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Isn't it hard to get all the walnuts lined up to make a good wood?

Skip Towne
01-21-2007, 07:11 PM
You should look for somebody who does nice looking carpentry work and stands behind their work. Don't necessarily take the cheapest bid.
Yeah, standing behind it is important. I know the John Deere dealer here in town sells a piece of machinery they won't stand behind.............the manure spreader.

Extra Point
01-21-2007, 09:16 PM
First, take a piece of trim that you think is walnut, to St. John's Woodworking. Robert and Shirley Gervin own it, and do excellent work. 816-781-6466. They did a couple built-ins on either side of the fireplace with an awesome mantle they built. One side of the fireplace had a TV pullout-swivel TV stand, next to it was a stereo cabinet. I miss the old place-- we just outgrew it.

papasmurf
01-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Check out the local cabinet makers.