PDA

View Full Version : Computer issue

Coach
01-21-2007, 08:22 PM
My brother brought his computer here to get, whatever issue it is that needs to be fixed.

Here how it goes. I boot up the computer, and it runs fine, and it comes to the Windows XP symbol with "Windows XP" on it, while the background is black, which is normal to his previous boot-up.

However, after that, the only thing that shows up is the mouse curser. There is nothing on the background, as it's just all black. There's nothing there.

What is the problem, and what action(s) do I need to take?

Thanks,

Coach

Buck
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Im no computer expert, but it sounds like EXPLORER.exe isnt running. If you can do CTRL+ALT+DEL and the window pops up, see if there is a process called EXPLORER.exe running

Lzen
01-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Computer.....window......drop.

luv
01-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Im no computer expert, but it sounds like EXPLORER.exe isnt running. If you can do CTRL+ALT+DEL and the window pops up, see if there is a process called EXPLORER.exe running
Shouldn't you be drunk?

Buck
01-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Shouldn't you be drunk?

Nope, but I am extremely hungover. Excedrin is good.

Coach
01-21-2007, 08:30 PM

No, I think the issue is that when I boot it up, it'll show the background black, with a Windows XP symbol, as it has previously done before, then after that, it goes black, which is normal, then the mouse curser appears, which is normal, but after that, is what is messed up. There isn't the background for the desktop, the icons, the start button on the bottom left, etc etc. The background is just completely black.

Buck
01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
No, I think the issue is that when I boot it up, it'll show the background black, with a Windows XP symbol, as it has previously done before, then after that, it goes black, which is normal, then the mouse curser appears, which is normal, but after that, is what is messed up. There isn't the background for the desktop, the icons, the start button on the bottom left, etc etc. The background is just completely black.

Did he give you a boot disk?

Coach
01-21-2007, 08:32 PM
If I want to restart the computer I have to press the reset button to get it to get it to restart - alt ctrl del will not work.

Also when I want to go to safe mode it won't let me go into safe mode. It just comes up with a black screen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Coach,

Try this thread, I'm not sure it will help though...

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=721367

Mr. Plow
01-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Just my own personal experience. Sounds like there is something screwed up in the master boot record. I had a similar issue where the computer wouldn't boot. After some research, I discovered the hard drive had gone bad.

It only got worse, so I trashed the computer. Bought a new one.

Eric
01-21-2007, 09:47 PM
try safemode and do some scans.

Coach
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
All righty. I am at the conclusion that the computer is pretty much shot, possibly the motherboard, or a faulty hard-drive.

Tig O Bittys
01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
All righty. I am at the conclusion that the computer is pretty much shot, possibly the motherboard, or a faulty hard-drive.

could be an hardware issue, but its not 100% the problem

you should run some memory tests and HDD scans to check the setcors and such..

see if those report back normal

wutamess
01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Things to try:

Was there any new hardware installed?
If so remove it an try again.

Start removing things until you just have mouse & keboard.

Before XP screen see if you can his s2 or f10 for boot options or safe mode. See if you can boot to them.

Computers are rarely shot.
There's only been 2 machines I've had to re-image without getting virus off.

I've never had to replace anything hardware if it's getting past the POST.