PDA

View Full Version : Herm should learn from Lovie and Dungy

KCChiefsFan88
01-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Herm's 2 closest friends in the head coaching fraternity both have their teams in the Super Bowl today largely because they played aggressive in the playoffs and played to win rather than playing not to lose.

Big plays (i.e. passing the ball DOWNFIELD more than 5 yards) in the passing game were critical parts of the Bears and Colts success in the playoffs.

Bottom line is Dungy and Lovie coached with confidence and guts in the playoffs, while Herm coached like he always does... like a coward who talks a big game but doesn't have the balls to back it up

siberian khatru
01-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Heh. You used "Herm" and "learn" in the same sentence.

Fish
01-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Straight quality post here..... this one will go the distance.... :rolleyes:

Woodrow Call
01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Or maybe Dungy and Lovie actually have talent to work with. The Chiefs were the least talented team in the playoffs IMO, it was glaring.

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
This thread needs more drama

jAZ
01-22-2007, 09:27 AM
This thread needs more drama
This is the best I can do for you...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lhtg9VmVNBk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lhtg9VmVNBk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

trumpdawg
01-22-2007, 09:41 AM
this is sooooo right. and this is why the chiefs will never go to the bowl with herm (so, lower your expectations chiefs nation)...basically, he will never change. any modern coach who's greatest fear is "throwing the ball all over the place" is not wise enough to do what it takes to compete with the best teams in the league. only the courageous coaches get this thing done. let's just enjoy the one playoff game(or maybe 2) that herm will provide each season and just pray that our children will someday have a more than 1 dimensional coach to root for. hmmm...maybe "the chin" would like a job...

el borracho
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, Herm should learn to either have the best QB and 2nd best receiver in the league or play in the NFC. :rolleyes:

FringeNC
01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
What Herm should learn from Dungy is to be the CEO of the team, and have absolutely no input on offense. Herm's too arrogant for that, though.

jAZ
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
What Herm should learn from Dungy is to be the CEO of the team, and have absolutely no input on offense. Herm's too arrogant for that, though.
Are you sure he has no input on offense? He was a QB as a player.

FringeNC
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Are you sure he has no input on offense? He was a QB as a player.

I've seen Peyton waive off Dungy when he trotted the FG team onto the field. In fact, that was against KC in 04. Of course, I have no inside info, but it appears that Dungy lets the coordinator and Manning do whatever they want.

keg in kc
01-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Didn't the Bears carry the ball more than 40 times for 200 yards and win largly because they forced 4 turnovers?

Aggressive ground and pound?

greg63
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Heh. You used "Herm" and "learn" in the same sentence.

LMAO

Exactly! Herm is and idiot.

morphius
01-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Didn't the Bears carry the ball more than 40 times for 200 yards and win largly because they forced 4 turnovers?

Aggressive ground and pound?
And wasn't Indy's O pretty much invisible the entire playoff's until the second half of the AFC Championship game?

But hey, why pick nits...

Extra Point
01-22-2007, 11:00 AM
How many times did you hear Len Dawson say, "We need to pass on first down."?

Simms, though everyone seems to hate him, said last night, that when the Pats were passing on first down, that that actually sets up the running game in a lot of cases.

Passing for the RAC gains on 1st down worked during the season for the four teams who played yesterday.

Herm? Learn? I hope so!

Mr. Laz
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
maybe they will discuss this at their club meetings

Phobia
01-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm sure Tampa fans said the same thing when Dungy was leading that team. I think circumstances largely dictate what a coach is willing to try.

King_Chief_Fan
01-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Herm's game plan came out just like he wanted it to.
You don't try to outscore your opponents on the road.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm sure Tampa fans said the same thing when Dungy was leading that team. I think circumstances largely dictate what a coach is willing to try.

Herm had more talent here and in NY than Dungy ever had in Tampa (on offense), yet he ran an equally, if not moreso, conservative offense.

Herm wanted to neuter this O from day 1 into run-run-pass, and he got his excuse when Green went down.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
You don't try to outscore your opponents on the road.

That has to be one of the biggest jaw dropping comments any coach could ever make....

Just ignorance at its best...

I thought I said stupid things. Nothing has ever came out of my mouth that ignorant...

Bill Parcells
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Herm wanted to neuter this O from day 1 into run-run-pass, and he got his excuse when Green went down.
But then he fired Terry Shea..the guy that had Huard playing so well early on in the season..that makes no sense at all..Huard 11 TD's 1 INT YOU'RE FIRED!!! :cuss:

King_Chief_Fan
01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
But then he fired Terry Shea..the guy that had Huard playing so well early on in the season..that makes no sense at all..Huard 11 TD's 1 INT YOU'RE FIRED!!! :cuss:

you don't one up the boss and stay employed

Woodrow Call
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM
That has to be one of the biggest jaw dropping comments any coach could ever make....

Just ignorance at its best...

I thought I said stupid things. Nothing has ever came out of my mouth that ignorant...

Herm doesn't want to get into shoot outs on the road, what an idiot.

Fire Herm now.

chiefsfan1963
01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
out of all the playoff teams Chiefs performance was by far the most embarrassing.

Herm's Chiefs will have to not only have to get back to the playoffs next season but play great football throughout before fans will be able to forget that disaster of a performance this year.

Woodrow Call
01-22-2007, 01:10 PM
out of all the playoff teams Chiefs performance was by far the most embarrassing.

Herm's Chiefs will have to not only have to get back to the playoffs next season but play great football throughout before fans will be able to forget that disaster of a performance this year.

Not being able to force a punt at home is just as embarrassing if not more embarrassing.

Personally I'd rank any of the home choke jobs ahead of this years loss.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Herm doesn't want to get into shoot outs on the road, what an idiot.

Fire Herm now.

He doesnt want to get into shootouts at home either....

Fire Herm now.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Not being able to force a punt at home is just as embarrassing if not more embarrassing.

I would agree... This year was expected and with Herm's masterful games plans. Face planting in Indy wasnt all that surprising...

But the 96,98,03 playoff teams were just down right shameful!

chiefsfan1963
01-22-2007, 01:13 PM

no way near as embarrassing a performance as this year's playoff performance. watching all the other team's that lost just rubbed more salt into the wound. we were by far the worst.

Woodrow Call
01-22-2007, 01:15 PM
He doesnt want to get into shootouts at home either....

Fire Herm now.

No coach wants to get into a shootout.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 01:19 PM

Especially with a run, run, pass, punt game plan...

FAX
01-22-2007, 01:22 PM

Perhaps true, Mr. Archie Bunker.

But, if Coach A pulls a gun, Coach B better have one, too. And some ammunition. And a willingness to pull the trigger.

Nobody ever cleaned up a town by hunkering down in a corner waiting for the bad guys to make a mistake and shoot themselves. Except for Festus that one time, of course.

FAX

CoMoChief
01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Herm should learn to either have the best QB and 2nd best receiver in the league or play in the NFC. :rolleyes:

Bears, Saints, Seahawks, Eagles would have beaten our asses in the playoffs. Our defense played well enough to beat the Colts. We INT Manning 3 times and Harrison didn't do shit that game.

Woodrow Call
01-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Perhaps true, Mr. Archie Bunker.

But, if Coach A pulls a gun, Coach B better have one, too. And some ammunition. And a willingness to pull the trigger.

Nobody ever cleaned up a town by hunkering down in a corner waiting for the bad guys to make a mistake and shoot themselves. Except for Festus that one time, of course.

FAX

I think the gun given to Coach B was old and broken and unable fire many rounds.

Rep for the Festus.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Bears, Saints, Seahawks, Eagles would have beaten our asses in the playoffs.

Uh yeah pretty much.....

We beat the Seahags (barely) without Alexander and Hasselbeck....

They destory us with those 2...

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I think the gun given to Coach B was old and broken and unable fire many rounds.

Rep for the Festus.

If the owner takes care of the gun and fixes it when it needs fixing. A little oil and maintenance here and there, the gun will always be servicable...

But when owner (King Carl and DV) just want to shoot gun continously, then gun breaks down.

But new owner has to know the guns strengths and weaknesses and shoot gun accordingly...

FringeNC
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM

Why? Shouldn't you engage in the strategy that maximizes your odds of victory? Find me some data that indicates playing not to lose on the road is a great strategy, and maybe I'll believe ya.

Winning on the road is tough. Waiting for the other guy to make a mistake before you do seems like it would be a better strategy (relatively) at home than on the road. Crowd noise can force mistakes.

Herm's point, I think, is that you don't want to get into obvious passing situations on the road. Okay, fine. I'd contend that surest way to get into the very situations he wants to avoid is by run-run-pass-punt ball. Herm just doesn't get it.

tk13
01-22-2007, 01:56 PM
I will say this... and nobody seems to be talking about it, but some credit should go to the defenses. The Colts and Bears defenses are designed to do just what they did in the playoffs, prevent the long passes downfield. That's what the Cover 2 is. Everybody got on our gameplan, and Baltimore's gameplan... but give some credit to the Colts defensive effort. Even Brady yesterday didn't take too many shots deep downfield, he took a lot of underneath stuff. It is very hard to consistently pass downfield against the Bears or the Colts, which is why Brady got picked that last drive, he started taking chances downfield because he had to... the Colts put 7 guys back there all flying around with great speed, and you have little time against their pass rush, that is hard to play against. Same thing happened when Trent started forcing it in the 4th quarter, as with McNair. Their number one goal is to prevent you from passing deep downfield.

That's the whole idea... the problem is, the Colts usually are so bad against the run, teams move the ball that way. All this talk about how teams should pass the ball downfield, I keep saying teams should've run the football better. That's how you beat a cover 2. If you get in a shootout slinging it downfield with the Colts, you are dead meat. The Bears have always been great at that... forcing you just to take little pieces at a time, work downfield, and put together 10-14 play drives to beat them.

crazycoffey
01-22-2007, 03:45 PM
learn, just learn, that is all