PDA

View Full Version : Johnson County mulling the banning of Pit Bulls in parks

BigRedChief
01-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Big Daddy is gonna be pissed!

As Andrea Bielsker’s dog Tanner romped in Shawnee Mission Park, a pit bull clamped its jaws around the neck of the mixed-breed Dalmatian.
“It just locked on and wouldn’t let go,” said her friend Nora Hicks, who witnessed the April attack in the off-leash dog area of the popular Johnson County park.
So Hicks popped the pit bull on the head, stunning the muscular animal just enough for Tanner to wiggle free.
“The attack was completely unprovoked,” Hicks told the Johnson County Board of Park and Recreation Commissioners in November. “I am sincerely afraid someday a dog is going to get killed.”
That attack — and others like it in the last six years — has prompted park board members to consider banning pit bulls from the county’s 10 parks. A public hearing is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday, and board members could vote to ban the animals after the hearing.

the rest is here

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16515555.htm

seclark
01-22-2007, 01:59 PM
dalmations taste like chicken.
sec

Phobia
01-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I would support it. I've had a near identical experience with a Pit.

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Pit bulls...need to be shot on sight

Fruit Ninja
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Yet , people are quick to bash on my state for wanting to ban them period Now they wanna ban them over in KC at the parks. You know what comes next

Sully
01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
They should be banned in parks, where dogs are that aren't unfriendly to other dogs. It seems that BD and those who scream the loudest for Pit Bulls would admit themselves that Pits are aggressive toward other animals, but not humans. Fine, then... I think it's great if people want to keep them and control them. But for an animal like that to be allowed around other animals is retarded.

Brock
01-22-2007, 02:09 PM
A dog running loose in the park, and the only significant detail about it is that it might have been a pit bull?

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Just keep pitbulls legal and allow them to roam free

I need more moving targets for my roadkill bingo

MOhillbilly
01-22-2007, 02:12 PM

yup.

MOhillbilly
01-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I would support it. I've had a near identical experience with a Pit.

do tell.

eazyb81
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm surprised JoCo doesn't already have a ban on pits. What a little pussy county.

jynni
01-22-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't see how a dog attacking another dog in an off leash dog park equals banning pitbulls from all parks?

I mean, it makes sense to ban them from the dog park or at least require that they be on a leash.

eazyb81
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't see how a dog attacking another dog in an off leash dog park equals banning pitbulls from all parks?

I mean, it makes sense to ban them from the dog park or at least require that they be on a leash.

I was carjacked by a man with a beard yesterday.

I demand that beards be outlawed in Jackson County from now on.

duncan_idaho
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM

What, you don't already? You should try it... it's a good time.

Phobia
01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
do tell.
I've told it several times. Walking my neutered bitch lab to the mailbox in my neighborhood. I'm on the neighbor's sidewalk 20 feet from my front door when a strange dog comes trotting down the street. I assumed both dogs were going to sniff butts and we'd keep heading to the mailbox. Instead, the other dog immediately latched onto my lab's neck and wouldn't let go. I destroyed my weedwacker trying to beat that dog off my lab. I finally knocked him out and my lab ran to the back yard. Shortly thereafter a teenager comes running down the street looking for his dog. I got his number and phoned his mother later that day. She told me the dog was a pit and had gotten loose and that she was planning to dispose of it especially considering the latest incident.

Chief Faithful
01-22-2007, 02:38 PM
I do think owners of Pit Bulls should be held to a higher standard. Pit Bulls off leash should never happen in public and violation should result in stiff penalty. But, I don't think they should be banned.

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Any Pit that comes in my yard, will be shot on site, no questions asked...

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Walking my neutered bitch lab to the mailbox in my neighborhood.

Neutering, or castrating, is the term used when addressing a male animal’s surgery. Spaying is the female alternative.

Are you sure your bitch lab was a female???? or was she a he.

makes you wonder if maybe you should check your women a second time from now on

MOhillbilly
01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Any Pit that comes in my yard, will be shot on site, no questions asked...

awesome. tobad you dont live in my hood.

elvomito
01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
dalmations are the real problem here. spotted animals to a pit bull : red cape to bull

Phobia
01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Neutering, or castrating, is the term used when addressing a male animal’s surgery. Spaying is the female alternative.

Are you sure your bitch lab was a female???? or was she a he.

makes you wonder if maybe you should check your women a second time from now on

You're right. She was spayed. I'm a moron.

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I wish we'd ban morons instead.

Silock
01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
UGH.

What a stupid motion. Seriously.

I take my dog out there all the time, and I've seen MANY dogs fight and attack unprovoked, and none of them included pit bulls.

They need to ban irresponsible owners, not the dogs. ANY dog will be aggressive if it is allowed to become dominant over the human. So, when it comes into contact with other dogs, it assumes that it is also the dominant one there, and when it realizes it has competition, fights break out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the pit bull breed. What happens is people get a pit bull and they want to play Billy Bad Ass because they think having a strong dog reflects on them as a person, but when the dog challenges their authority (and ALL dogs do this, regardless of breed), they don't know what to do and the dog walks all over them. This happens with EVERY BREED if the owner doesn't know what he's doing. The problem lies in the fact that if a toy poodle starts randomly attacking strangers, it's not going to result in a death. Dog owners in this country just don't know how to handle their dogs, and they humanize them, which creates 99% of the problems we have in this country with dogs. Cocker spaniels bite the most people per year in America, but you don't hear about that. You only hear about pit bulls because they bite harder.

And it cracks me up that they mention Dalmatians in that story. Dalmatians can be just as vicious as pit bulls, if not moreso. People see them and think of a Disney movie, but they don't know that the reason they are firehouse dogs is because they used to run out in front of the fire wagon and they would literally rip to pieces anything and everything that got in the way of the firemen and the horses that would slow them down or prevent them from getting to a fire quickly. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good old fashioned witch hunt.

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
You're right. She was spayed. I'm a moron.

Maybe you had to tell that story alot because people just liked hearing you make an ass out of yourself...

Just some food for thought

Saulbadguy
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Dalmations have mental problems.

jidar
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Pit Bulls are animal aggressive.
I like Pits, but yeah, I don't have much to say in the defense of the dogs as far as being in parks. If you're going to have one out it should be leashed and possibly muzzled to save other animals.

MOhillbilly
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
UGH.

What a stupid motion. Seriously.

I take my dog out there all the time, and I've seen MANY dogs fight and attack unprovoked, and none of them included pit bulls.

They need to ban irresponsible owners, not the dogs. ANY dog will be aggressive if it is allowed to become dominant over the human. So, when it comes into contact with other dogs, it assumes that it is also the dominant one there, and when it realizes it has competition, fights break out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the pit bull breed. What happens is people get a pit bull and they want to play Billy Bad Ass because they think having a strong dog reflects on them as a person, but when the dog challenges their authority (and ALL dogs do this, regardless of breed), they don't know what to do and the dog walks all over them. This happens with EVERY BREED if the owner doesn't know what he's doing. The problem lies in the fact that if a toy poodle starts randomly attacking strangers, it's not going to result in a death. Dog owners in this country just don't know how to handle their dogs, and they humanize them, which creates 99% of the problems we have in this country with dogs. Cocker spaniels bite the most people per year in America, but you don't hear about that. You only hear about pit bulls because they bite harder.

And it cracks me up that they mention Dalmatians in that story. Dalmatians can be just as vicious as pit bulls, if not moreso. People see them and think of a Disney movie, but they don't know that the reason they are firehouse dogs is because they used to run out in front of the fire wagon and they would literally rip to pieces anything and everything that got in the way of the firemen and the horses that would slow them down or prevent them from getting to a fire quickly. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good old fashioned witch hunt.

doesnt change the fact that all pittbulls should die.

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Dalmatians can be just as vicious as pit bulls, if not moreso.

Youre right!

It freaked me out the other day when I seen a pack of wild dalmations wrecking havoc all through the city

FIRE HYDRANTS BEWARE!!!

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Chances are...if you wear all red...you'll either get attacked by dalmations...bulls (doesnt matter the breed, they all hate matadors and red) and you may even start a gang warfare campaign with the bloods and crips again

Living in Kansas city and being a Chiefs fan is a dangerous occupation, especially on red friday

Reerun_KC
01-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I wish we'd ban morons instead.

If your are talking about Chiefs Planet, I would be in the top 10...

Not cool to ban us, we make the board fun and amusing...

Phobia
Indeed. I'd like to see a reputable source that will back up your claims of "ripping to pieces anything and everything that got in the way".

Silock
Youre right!

It freaked me out the other day when I seen a pack of wild dalmations wrecking havoc all through the city

FIRE HYDRANTS BEWARE!!!

Right... because pit bulls swarm your city in packs hunting down small children and ripping apart Honda Civics.

Simplex3
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Dalmations have mental problems.
Cockers have been inbred to the point that they're all insane.

Silock
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Indeed. I'd like to see a reputable source that will back up your claims of "ripping to pieces anything and everything that got in the way".

It's absolutely true. A simple google search will yield results showing that they guarded the fire carriage from other dogs and animals that got in the way of the carriage, and yes, they did sometimes kill people if they were in the way.

memyselfI
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I'd support it. It makes no sense having a ban on them in neighborhoods and then allowing them in public parks.

Phobia
01-22-2007, 03:07 PM
It's absolutely true. A simple google search will yield results showing that they guarded the fire carriage from other dogs and animals that got in the way of the carriage, and yes, they did sometimes kill people if they were in the way.

Okay, I've now dedicated about 10 minutes to proving your claim. I'm unable to find a single source of a dalmation ripping or killing anything other than "vermin" around the firehouse.

Brock
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM

LOL, you're full of shit.

Redrum_69
01-22-2007, 03:13 PM

What was really scary were the teams of chiuauas they had out front in ambulances back in the 1900's. those little shits would yip and yap all through the street...scaring everything out of their way...especially with the gnashing of their teeth!

wilas101
01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
What was really scary were the teams of chiuauas they had out front in ambulances back in the 1900's. those little shits would yip and yap all through the street...scaring everything out of their way...especially with the gnashing of their teeth!

I don't know about dalmations and fire wagons but the chihuahua thing is real. My great grandma died by being consumed by a pack of ambulance leading chihuahuas.

Look it up on google. Its there, I swear. :P

Phobia
01-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I've added another 10 minutes doing simple google searches and haven't found a single reference to a dalmation killing anything other than rodents. Please help me, Silock. Obviously Google is kicking my butt.

wilas101
01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I've added another 10 minutes doing simple google searches and haven't found a single reference to a dalmation killing anything other than rodents. Please help me, Silock. Obviously Google is kicking my butt.

Did you google the story about my grandma? It only takes another 10 minutes and you'll have a cool half hour wasted trying to verify crap that you KNOW isn't true to begin with. :)

Silock
01-22-2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

Apparently, though, you can't readily find that information on the dalmatians as carriage dogs on the internet. There simply isn't much information listed, and the info that IS listed is mostly on "Why you should choose a Dalmatian for your pet!" sites, which of course wouldn't include that info. I assure you, though, that it IS true, which I know, of course, that you won't believe simply because I said so. So, yeah, I was wrong that it's readily available on Google. It's not.

Brock
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

Apparently, though, you can't readily find that information on the dalmatians as carriage dogs on the internet. There simply isn't much information listed, and the info that IS listed is mostly on "Why you should choose a Dalmatian for your pet!" sites, which of course wouldn't include that info. I assure you, though, that it IS true, which I know, of course, that you won't believe simply because I said so. So, yeah, I was wrong that it's readily available on Google. It's not.

Oh, they were used as carriage dogs. They did not, however, kill people as you contend.

Phobia
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I see one story about a 5 year old who had half his nose ripped off by a dalmation in Houston. No word yet on whether said child was in the way of a Fire Carriage.

Silock
01-22-2007, 03:38 PM
:sigh:

They have killed people before. I'm not saying that that is their specific purpose or that they were even bred to kill everything. The larger point is that pit bulls are not the only breed of dog to have ever killed people or attacked another dog or human unprovoked, but you don't see people crying about outlawing German Shepherds or other dogs that have done so (at least, not here).

Like I said, you're not going to believe me about the Dalmatians being vicious just because I say so, which you shouldn't, and I wouldn't reasonably expect you to. I'm trying to track down the info, though.

Lzen
01-22-2007, 04:46 PM
There are plenty of idiots who own dogs that don't know how to be a dog owner. Despite the part about the dalmations killing people in the way of the fire carriage, most everything else he said is true. There are some seriously vicious dogs of every breed. The problem lies in the dogs and their pack mentality. Owners let the dog become the pack leader. Their dogs a lot of times start having aggression issues and the owners don't nip it in the bud like they should. Allowing those aggressive tendencies to continue only leads to escalating aggression. Plus, you should try to walk you dog every day for at least 30-40 minutes. That helps them release energy in a positive way.

Problem with pitbulls is that they are a powerful breed. And then you get all these wanna be thugs that don't know a damn thing about controlling their animals. That leads to problems. I am against breed specific legislation. Or at least BSL that bans a specific breed. What should be done is heftier fines, require special licenses and training, etc. If someone who owns a PB and their dog bites, the dog should be put down and the owner spend a little time in jail or something. Perhaps then these idiots would think before they own a powerful breed. Believe me, though, a Chihuahua or poodle can be just as aggressive as a pit.

If you guys have never seen the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel, I highly recommend it. You will learn a lot about dogs and their pack mentality. If you don't have the Nat. Geo. Channel, just go to their website and look up Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer. The guy is a dog behavior expert. Some of the cases he has dealt with and the change in the dogs behavior as well as owners is incredible.

Edit: One of the dogs he has (which actually belongs to some rapper and Cesar just takes care of him a lot) is named Daddy. Daddy is a pitbull but he is the most balanced dog you will ever see. I would love to own a dog like that. Cesar has several pits and rotweilers and many other breeds that live at his compound. His pack of dogs is very balanced. You would be astonished if you got to see that in person.

BTW, there was a thread about the Dog Whisperer several months ago. Here is the thread.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3724534&goto=postid

KC Dan
01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I really don't what to think. I need crazycoffey to post on this thread so I can decide...

HonestChieffan
01-22-2007, 05:18 PM
An animal with no merit

Bane
01-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Good fugh a pit bull.

Phobia
01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
I just drove by the firehouse and personally witnessed a Dalmation which had a small child by the neck and was snapping it to and fro like a rag-doll so I can now vouch for Silock's claim that they're very vicious. Shocking.

acesn8s
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Maybe the Park Officials should confiscate all animals involved in the fight regardless of breed or fault. Then let a judge decide which animals go home and which owner gets a fine.

Personally, I would like to see all police dogs be banned. They attack more people on command than pitbulls. Pitbulls do it out of instinct, police dogs do it because they are trained to do it.

Silock
01-22-2007, 05:34 PM
I just drove by the firehouse and personally witnessed a Dalmation which had a small child by the neck and was snapping it to and fro like a rag-doll so I can now vouch for Silock's claim that they're very vicious. Shocking.

See? I told you.

Silock
01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
They attack more people on command than pitbulls.

Key words: on command.

Extra Point
01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
It's not the dog, it's the owner. Always!

I remember a pit bull down the street from where I grew up. She was the friendliest dog on the block. Because her owners treated her well, she was friendly.

I visited a friend who keeps care of three Rottweilers on his farm. My daughter and I stopped by to visit while moving her up her from 1st semester, and they were quite friendly.

It's not the breed, it's the bother the owner takes in the care of one of it.

acesn8s
01-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Key words: on command.
What kind of trouble would any other owner be in if they let thier dog attack "on command"? We can't use an electric chair publicly hang someone because it is cruel and unusual punishment but having a dog rip through your skin with it's teeth until a police officer comes over to tackle you, well, that's just unfortunate incident.

Clearly a double standard. One for police and one for the rest of us.

bogie
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
This thread has lost its burst. Calling Big Daddy.

Psyko Tek
01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
What kind of trouble would any other owner be in if they let thier dog attack "on command"? We can't use an electric chair publicly hang someone because it is cruel and unusual punishment but having a dog rip through your skin with it's teeth until a police officer comes over to tackle you, well, that's just unfortunate incident.

Clearly a double standard. One for police and one for the rest of us.

Well they could shoot you instead

acesn8s
01-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Well they could shoot you instead
Same double standard. Can I go around shooting people? If I did, I would get more than 2 days leave with pay and a psycho evaluation. Like jail time until I got to see a judge. And I would lose my pay from my employer.

Iowanian
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Here we go again.

"You see, if the govt would stay out of peoples lives and make marijuana legal, the smoke could be blown into the faces of the most loving, cuddly, non agressive family dogs known to human kind, the pit bull, and they would slow down and just smile even bigger at people passing by on the street" [/big daddy dig]

This fall, yunghungwell was lucky enough to have some new peaches of people move to his neighborhood, complete with their 3 loving family dogs. beacons of the community.

Anyway, ffw a month, one cool evening, had been in his garage and yard with his lab mix dinking around, with his 3 year old. A little later we're backing out of his driveway and notice a guy walking a small dog. We wave and drive on.

The next morning, we're told that as he left the view of my mirror as we left, the 3 loving family pets attacked the man and his dog. Killed the small mutt and chewed up the owner. 2 of those dogs were put down against the wishes of the owners. 1 needs a meatball surprise.

Any guesses as to which, cuddling family pets these were? Any guesses on if they had liability insurance?

Dalmations are assholes...alot of them anyway, as are alot of small breeds. The difference is the damage they do when they do bite.

Cochise
01-22-2007, 07:24 PM

My dog growing up was a female dalmatian. Great dog, if I had the space I'd get another one.

She used to bite the cat's tail, but that was just for fun I think. Other than that, neighborhood kids would come reach over the fence to pet her all the time and she was sweet as could be.

Easy 6
01-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Pits & rot's are the dumbest breed ever created. They were bred for their aggressive tendencies & powerful bites, useless for anything other than junkyard dogs.

I am one of the biggest dog lovers i know & i WOULDNT hesitate to kill any of those bastards that threatened me or mine.

My dog votes too & he votes to murder worthless F'N fighting breeds.

I had a dalmation as well & they definitely are disturbed sumbidges, i tried & tried with it, but it had a split personality or something. Would never own one again.

BigRedChief
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
This thread has lost its burst. Calling Big Daddy.
Yeah it needs some indignation :clap: