PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have their own courier business?

Archie F. Swin
01-22-2007, 06:04 PM
This is something I've been thinking about for the last few years...being a self-employed courier. Sounds like an easy start-up...but I would think generating business would be very gradual. Looking for advice

The planet usually delivers :) :shake:

Rain Man
01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
If you start one, you should have a premium service where you take the blame for a late delivery.

Bugeater
01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
I've heard that if one of those balloons bursts in your stomach it can kill you. I'm sure the money is good though.

KcMizzou
01-22-2007, 06:07 PM
We use two courier companies where I work, looks like a hard way to make money to me.

They charge very little, pay what employees they have even less... and are basically on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Bob Dole
01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Do you have an "in" with either a law office or a title company?

Archie F. Swin
01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
no, but seems my GM either knows or attends church with every person of influence in town

Bob Dole
01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
no, but seems my GM either knows or attends church with every person of influence in town

Seems like the most solid niche for couriers around here is running stuff around last minute between the law offices and title companies for commercial real estate closings. If you had a solid base of high-dollar, high-margin customers like that, you ought to have the revenue to buy time while you build a more diverse customer base.

It may not be like that everywhere, though.

FAX
01-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Maybe you should niche market, Mr. Archie F. Swin.

Specialize in couriering really heavy stuff like steel slag, or transporting dead bodies to their final resting place, or something. Lots of people die and have to be taken back to the state where their families live and they're to be buried, for example.

FAX

Archie F. Swin
01-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Bumpasaurus Rex

ptlyon
01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Be a bail bondsman.

kcfanintitanhell
01-23-2007, 01:50 PM
The first 5 years I lived in Nashville I worked part-time for a courier service. Our clients consisted of all the major record labels, mortgage companies, lawyers, travel agencies, and picking up FedEx late arrivals and delivering them. I once picked up a box from Boston containing a clambake for 4 at the Nashville Airport and had to take it all the way to Saint Louis (it cost FedEx over 300 bucks to deliver it same-day) and that was in '90.
Although I didn't own a courier biz, I know a bit about them.

rageeumr
01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
More people use couriers than you might think. I'm in construction, we're a small office (15 employees) and I bet we average 2-3 couriered items per day. The bad news for you? Even for a 1 hour delivery I think we only pay like $15....

SLAG
01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I thought Being a Weather Man was a pretty lucrative business

Archie F. Swin
01-23-2007, 02:05 PM
I thought Being a Weather Man was a pretty lucrative business

maybe in KC, OKC, Dallas...not so much in market #145

kcfanintitanhell
01-23-2007, 02:05 PM
More people use couriers than you might think. I'm in construction, we're a small office (15 employees) and I bet we average 2-3 couriered items per day. The bad news for you? Even for a 1 hour delivery I think we only pay like $15....

But, if the courier service you used had 4 or 5 clients in the same office complex your delivery was going to, they could very well incorporate 5 deliveries into that one run.
We had 8-9 drivers in the street, all connected by radio. Very seldom would a driver, say, south of the city actually pick up and deliver something north of town. It would get passed off somewhere in between. Dispatching could get pretty stressful, because the game plan could completely change with the next phone call.