PDA

View Full Version : terror free oil

bushmaster
01-23-2007, 11:09 AM
first, 7-11 tells chavez to take a hike, now, terror free oil.

Gas Station To Offer Terror-Free Oil
February Grand Opening Planned

OMAHA, Neb. -- Area drivers will soon be able to fill up with gasoline made from "terror-free oil."

A gas station about to open near 129th and Q streets is named Terror Free Oil, and the idea is to offer consumers petroleum products from countries that do not sponsor terror.

The gas station is associated with the Terror-Free Oil Initiative. The group's objective is to encourage Americans to buy gasoline that originated from countries that do not export or finance terrorism. A representative said that Omaha's will be the first of several terror-free oil gas stations to open across the country.

"The terror-free oil initiative is dedicated to encouraging Americans to buy gasoline that originated from countries that do not export or finance terrorism," according to the group's Web site.

Chris Decker, professor of economics with the University of Nebraska-Omaha said the idea may make for good marketing.

"From a business perspective, it's kind of a neat way to differentiate yourself from the competition. To me, that sounds an awful lot like what we in environmental economics refer to as eco-labeling. Like, when you purchase a can of tuna with a symbol that there was no harm to dolphins to catch the tuna," Decker said.

Will drivers make a special trip? Mary Ann Buscher said the station got her attention, with its bright red, white and blue advertising, but she isn't sure when or if she'll stop there.

"I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, probably. No, I wouldn't," she said.

The grand opening is Feb. 12.

FAX
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I think this is a great idea.

FAX

Phobia
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Assuming similar impact on my pocketbook I'd choose the terror-free station.

Baconeater
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm anxious to see what they charge for a gallon of gas at this place. It's not far away from where I live.

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
the bottom line will be it's price point. If their gas is more expensive than gas at normal gas stations, the novelty will wear off quickly and consumers will look for a better price.

Iowanian
01-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I look forward to filling my tank the first time with a foreign independent fuel source.

I hope Iowania is the first state to declare foreign oil independence and go strictly with US Oil and Bio fuels.

boogblaster
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Terror, they have that story burning wild now ...

Redrum_69
01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Watch it be the most robbed gas station in the state

Fish
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
What a relief.... having no choice but to use this fuel that is completely full of terror has been weighing on my mind lately.....

Redrum_69
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
The insurance premium gas stations have to pay everytime a driveoff is committed...is the REAL source of higher gas prices

recxjake
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Great idea

Brock
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
The insurance premium gas stations have to pay everytime a driveoff is committed...is the REAL source of higher gas prices

LOL. Like they couldn't just require everybody to prepay.

recxjake
01-23-2007, 11:51 AM

Isn't that why they are making most gas stations pay up front, or by credit card at the pump? This is a very simple problem to fix I would think! Just pre-sell it for God sake!

Redrum_69
01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Isn't that why they are making most gas stations pay up front, or by credit card at the pump? This is a very simple problem to fix I would think! Just pre-sell it for God sake!

Yeah but that kind of undermines "terror free gas" or getting gas anywhere in the US.

Heres an example. Lets say you are on a road trip, out in the middle of nowhere. You come across a gas station. YOu prepay and not sure how much its going to be you say...10 gallons. Then you get back on the road and after a few hundred miles you notice you need to refill, and a sign ahead says "gas station -->25 miles" But the empty light is now flashing...and you run out of gas. If you didnt have to prepay at the last station, then you would have filled up completely and not be in the dire situation. No one wants to be stuck in the desert, or the artic or Tennessee with no gas..

recxjake
01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah but that kind of undermines "terror free gas" or getting gas anywhere in the US.

Heres an example. Lets say you are on a road trip, out in the middle of nowhere. You come across a gas station. YOu prepay and not sure how much its going to be you say...10 gallons. Then you get back on the road and after a few hundred miles you notice you need to refill, and a sign ahead says "gas station -->25 miles" But the empty light is now flashing...and you run out of gas. If you didnt have to prepay at the last station, then you would have filled up completely and not be in the dire situation. No one wants to be stuck in the desert, or the artic or Tennessee with no gas..

In Oregon you are not allowed to fill up your own car.... every station has a pump dude.... but gas is 20 cents higher in Oregon.... There are solutions to people running away with free gae

noa
01-23-2007, 12:02 PM
In Oregon you are not allowed to fill up your own car.... every station has a pump dude.... but gas is 20 cents higher in Oregon.... There are solutions to people running away with free gae

Same in New Jersey.

Hydrae
01-23-2007, 12:03 PM

That is why you drop more money on the counter than you expect to need, say fill to the cashier and then get your change when you are done pumping your gas. Easy enough.

Fairplay
01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
I have gas everyday.

Cochise
01-23-2007, 12:16 PM

So where does the insurance premium fit into here?

Pitt Gorilla
01-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Assuming similar impact on my pocketbook I'd choose the terror-free station.I'd be interested to see how they define terror.

Chiefs_Fan
01-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Check card/pay at the pump is the only way to go.

KC Kings
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
I read that in most foreign cars, terror-free gas gets you 5% less MPH.

Biodiesel would be great, if my tax dollars weren't going to subsidize a dollar a gallon of the price. If I had to choose between paying $2 a gallon for turban wearing terrorist gas, or $3 a gallon for American grown bio-diesel, I'm going to do buisiness with Ahab.

RedDread
01-23-2007, 12:38 PM
But who will free me from the terror of high gas prices??

ptlyon
01-23-2007, 12:43 PM
I read that in most foreign cars, terror-free gas gets you 5% less MPH.

Biodiesel would be great, if my tax dollars weren't going to subsidize a dollar a gallon of the price. If I had to choose between paying $2 a gallon for turban wearing terrorist gas, or $3 a gallon for American grown bio-diesel, I'm going to do buisiness with Ahab.

Traitor.

KC Kings
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Traitor.
As the one word response is typed on a keyboard made in communist China, using internal components made in Malaysia, and when you call the "American" manufacturer for support you are directed to a call center in India, were one of the 250 million people that only make $1 a day named "Bob" will fumble their way through one of many call scripts that have nothing to do with the issue you are having.

I realize that you have to stand for something, but very few Americans don't take advantage of bad situations to pay less for our stuff. Find me a person that could live guilt free after knowing where all of their consumer purchases came from, and they'll probably be Omish.

Stewie
01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
This is BS. Oil is a world-wide commodity. How does little Mr. Station Owner know the source of the crude that makes his gasoline? Unless he pulls a dingy up the Missouri full of crude and refines it himself there's no way he can guarantee "terror free" gasoline. The guy is a marketing genius, though.

I remember after 9/11 everyone said to buy gasoline at Sinclair because they didn't refine any crude from the Middle East. Well, they did buy it from Venezuala and now that jackass Hugo Chavez is in control and is as much of a terrorist as any of them.

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Check card/pay at the pump is the only way to go.

Do people even use cash anymore?

Redrum_69
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Do people even use cash anymore?

Your mom requires cash, but she'll take checks as long as you have proper ID...

Zebedee DuBois
01-23-2007, 09:09 PM
I would patronize them if the cost is within 3 cents/gallon of the other retailers.

Donger
01-23-2007, 09:19 PM
This is BS. Oil is a world-wide commodity. How does little Mr. Station Owner know the source of the crude that makes his gasoline? Unless he pulls a dingy up the Missouri full of crude and refines it himself there's no way he can guarantee "terror free" gasoline. The guy is a marketing genius, though.

I remember after 9/11 everyone said to buy gasoline at Sinclair because they didn't refine any crude from the Middle East. Well, they did buy it from Venezuala and now that jackass Hugo Chavez is in control and is as much of a terrorist as any of them.

Correct, although Sinclair, Hess and Sunoco (I think) do not import any crude from the Middle East.

HemiEd
01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Correct, although Sinclair, Hess and Sunoco (I think) do not import any crude from the Middle East.

Question Donger, am I wasting my time by going way out of my way to avoid the Citgo up the street? The closest station that has reasonable prices, is a Speedway about 2 miles out of my way.

patteeu
01-23-2007, 10:05 PM

It's worse than that. Even if this station has a way to perform the phenomenal task of tracking all of the oil through the system to insure that they only pump gas made from English oil (for example), it doesn't matter anyway. Every barrel of English oil that we buy is a barrel of English oil that someone else can't buy so they will turn around and buy a barrel of Venezuelan oil or Middle Eastern oil or whatever. Demand for oil is demand for oil and all of the producers rise and fall with essentially the same demand curve. This is meaningless unless enough of the industrialized world is willing to buy ONLY terror-free oil (and pay higher prices for it) to make overall demand for ME and Venezualian oil drop, and that's not going to happen.

Donger
01-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Question Donger, am I wasting my time by going way out of my way to avoid the Citgo up the street? The closest station that has reasonable prices, is a Speedway about 2 miles out of my way.

Your time? I don't know because I don't know what your time is worth. But, the mathematics based on MPG of your vehicle and gasoline prices are pretty simple, however.

Donger
01-23-2007, 10:16 PM
It's worse than that. Even if this station has a way to perform the phenomenal task of tracking all of the oil through the system to insure that they only pump gas made from English oil (for example), it doesn't matter anyway. Every barrel of English oil that we buy is a barrel of English oil that someone else can't buy so they will turn around and buy a barrel of Venezuelan oil or Middle Eastern oil or whatever. Demand for oil is demand for oil and all of the producers rise and fall with essentially the same demand curve. This is meaningless unless enough of the industrialized world is willing to buy ONLY terror-free oil (and pay higher prices for it) to make overall demand for ME and Venezualian oil drop, and that's not going to happen.

I tend to agree, although the ones I mentioned do NOT utilize any ME crude. In the big scheme of things, it's not much. But as a symbol, it's okay. The fact is that the global demand for crude is still huge; someone will gobble it up if we don't.

HemiEd
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Your time? I don't know because I don't know what your time is worth. But, the mathematics based on MPG of your vehicle and gasoline prices are pretty simple, however.

Nice ROFL

Ok, is the Citgo really owned by Chavez? Do I contribute directly to him by frequenting the Citgo? I appreciate your insight here.

Donger
01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Nice ROFL

Ok, is the Citgo really owned by Chavez? Do I contribute directly to him by frequenting the Citgo? I appreciate your insight here.

Citgo is a subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned PC company. So, the short answer is probably "yes."

HemiEd
01-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Citgo is a subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned PC company. So, the short answer is probably "yes."

Thank you, I feel it is worth my time then.

Smed1065
01-24-2007, 01:28 AM
LOL. Like they couldn't just require everybody to prepay.

Thats why I use your credit cards.

Never had a gas pump ask for ID!

HMc
01-24-2007, 02:21 AM
if you want to stop financing terror you'd better stop buying gas altogether. or anything else your government taxes for that matter.

HMc
01-24-2007, 02:22 AM
maintaining slurpee machines is the real reason pump prices are so high