PDA

View Full Version : Most Disappointing Chiefs Players of 2006

Arrowhead Pride
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I am in the process of deciding who the Top 5 Most Disappointing Chiefs of the 2006 season are. At the moment, I have Kyle Turley up at no. 5, simply because he didn't really do shit this season. Not that there were a lot of expectations but still.

If you could impart some of your fabled wisdom on me and shoot out some ideas, that would be fantastic. The more input the better in my opinion.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
If you just talk about poor performances, Wesley, Black, and Bell come to mind immediately.

If you factor in expectations, I would add -- and I know this will shock most people -- Derrick Johnson.

Arrowhead Pride
01-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm going by expectations and how they played last season. Pretty simple...

noa
01-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I think you have to add Jordan Black because he gave up the most sacks of any lineman in the NFL.

DJJasonp
01-23-2007, 02:32 PM
With expectations in mind...you cant get on turley's case...he came to the chiefs trying out as a TE...not a starting left tackle.

Simms, Bell, Hall, Mitchell, Wesley....all on my most disappointing list.

#1 is Herm and Carl

Arrowhead Pride
01-23-2007, 02:34 PM
For sure Dante Hall but what about Trent Green? If you want to go on expectations/performance, he has to be up there.

nychief
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
1. Green 2. Hall 3. Bell 4. Simms 5. Law

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm going by expectations and how they played last season. Pretty simple...

And that was my point.

Jordan Black may have been the worst player on the entire team. But most disappointing? That's a tough label to slap on him, considering most people EXPECTED him to suck.

I'd have to say off the top of my head, the players that didn't live up to expectations would be Trent Green, Samie Parker, James Reed, Derrick Johnson, and Dante Hall...

Arrowhead Pride
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
I think Dante Hall may end up being no. 1 on this list. Simply because not only did he not do shit, he looked like a moron doing it.

Chiefnj
01-23-2007, 02:53 PM
I hate to say it but Shields has to be up there on the list.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I hate to say it but Shields has to be up there on the list.

I guess it depends on your expectation level. I kinda expected him to retire, let alone have a decline in production...

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Only one Samie Parker mention so far? The guy flat out blows.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Only one Samie Parker mention so far? The guy flat out blows.

I would imagine most people expected him to flat out blow...

Reerun_KC
Would probably add Huard to that list.

He didnt do enough to get Herm to bench Green.

So therefore our playoff/Superbowl hopes were crushed....

Woodrow Call
I give Green a pass due to massive head injury so my top 5 are....

1. The trio of Waters/Wiegman/Shields
2. Parker
3. Mitchell
4. Hall
5. Bell

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 02:59 PM
If you factor in expectations, I would add -- and I know this will shock most people -- Derrick Johnson.

DJ wasn't the same after his high ankle sprain; before the injury, he was a beast. I am hopeful for a big season from him next year, but he needs to stay healthy.

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Nah, I clearly remember some people hyping him before the year as if this would be his "breakout" season.

Direckshun
01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
But people didn't expect Samie to do anything but blow this season.

Same with Simms. No idea why you folks are listing them, unless you somehow believed they would just start playing at a Pro Bowl caliber.

Trent was a huge disappointment, easily the largest of the team. No idea how a guy as smart as he is returns before he is mentally ready, but he did so, and it severely damaged the Chiefs.

A very, very close 2nd is Kendrell Bell. This guy had all the promise in the world, but the second he put the Red & White on, he disappeared on the football field. Slow & stupid, he took himself out of 90% of the plays this year, and rarely made the tackle when he showed up.

A very, very close third is Lawrence Tynes. Kicker who proved early on that he could be counted on, and completely self-destructed this year. Had one glorious moment when he defeated the Chargers, but other than that, the guy has not been reliable.

The distant fourth: Will Shields was a disappointment, but I think it's because age has caught up with him. The entire Chiefs nation was anticipating Shields to decline four years ago, but as he continued to persevere, I just felt he could churn out another All Pro year in 2006.

And then to round it out, you'd have to say Jordan Black. Not because we thought he'd be great, but because there was no way we could anticipate him being the worst LT in the NFL.

KCChiefsFan88
01-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Mine:

1) DJ: Even before his ankle injury he wasn't having the same impact that Ware or Merriman were having with their respective teams.

2) Samie Parker: Granted Herm's pass the ball 10 times a game offense makes it tough for WRs to have productive seasons, but I expected Parker to make big plays in the passing game when the Chiefs took their shots downfield. Samie Parker's career resembles that of Larry Parker.

3) Surtain: I am trying to recall an impact play he's made since he's been a Chief. All I can think of is the dropped interceptions he's had.

4) Dante Hall: Looks like his career with the Chiefs is nearing an end.

5) Sampson: I was expecting him to be an anchor on the right side of the line. Instead he exposed himself as a pussy who lets every little ache and pain sideline him for the season.

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Same with Simms. No idea why you folks are listing them, unless you somehow believed they would just start playing at a Pro Bowl caliber.

A very, very close 2nd is Kendrell Bell. This guy had all the promise in the world, but the second he put the Red & White on, he disappeared on the football field. Slow & stupid, he took himself out of 90% of the plays this year, and rarely made the tackle when he showed up.

If we're not going to count Parker, why list Bell? He was awful last year, why would you have expected anything different this year? He should have been cut before his bonus kicked in after the first season, but for some unknown reason we kept him. Now, we will probably have to keep him for at least another year because we can't afford the cap hit, and again he will have an awful season.

Woodrow Call

I thought 06 was going to be his coming party. I was way off.

Chief Faithful
Jordan Black may have been the worst player on the entire team. But most disappointing? That's a tough label to slap on him, considering most people EXPECTED him to suck.

I agree it is hard to call a player disappointing when they played to expectation. IMO, while he had a terrible season I think he played better than I expected so I'm slightly impressed.

Kawika Mitchell was my biggest disappointment as I feel he took a step backward.

Wesley, Law, and Bell played as I expected so no dissapointment, although Bell was a immense disssapointment for me last year.

Hall was a major dissappointment at both return and receiver. Green was third, but that may have been more due to Solari and Edwards. Kennison also was disappointing as the teams top receiver especially with all the dropped balls.

Finally, I really hoped this would be Simms year, instead it was the year we learned he is a bust.

My list is Mitchell, Hall, Green, Kennison, Simms.

BIG_DADDY
The most disappointing person wasn't a player it was Herm.

kcfanintitanhell
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I am in agreement with the Hall, Green, Parker, Bell picks. But one disappointment for me that occurred very, very early was Casey Printers-I guess my expectations of him were high enough that I thought he would at least give the team a chance of having two young QBOF's on the squad. I know he pretty much got thrown to the wolves in preseason, but he did absolutely nothing to show that he belongs in the NFL.

eazyb81
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
3) Surtain: I am trying to recall an impact play he's made since he's been a Chief. All I can think of is the dropped interceptions he's had.

Good call.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Mine:

1) DJ: Even before his ankle injury he wasn't having the same impact that Ware or Merriman were having with their respective teams.

2) Samie Parker: Granted Herm's pass the ball 10 times a game offense makes it tough for WRs to have productive seasons, but I expected Parker to make big plays in the passing game when the Chiefs took their shots downfield. Samie Parker's career resembles that of Larry Parker.

4) Dante Hall: Looks like his career with the Chiefs is nearing an end.

5) Sampson: I was expecting him to be an anchor on the right side of the line. Instead he exposed himself as a pussy who lets every little ache and pain sideline him for the season.

I agree on DJ. Before the ankle injury, he wasn't whiffing on tackles like he was after. But even before the injury, where were the forced fumbles, the sacks, the picks? He just wasn't a game-changer this year.

And on Surtain, the one reason I left him off (I did think of him) is because there were alot of games where the opposing offense simply avoided him. That to me says they respect him.

Chiefnj
01-23-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't understand why people want to compare DJ to Ware or Merriman. An OLB in a 3-4 is a completely different creature than an OLB in a cover 2 4-3 defense. DJ is never going to have as many sacks or pressures as those guys.

Everyone talks about wanting Lance Briggs. The guy had one sack this year. He's a hell of a LB, but it's not his job in a cover 2 to chase the QB.

5 biggest disappointments:

1. Shields. Lots of pressure up the middle at the end of the year. Age finally caught up with him.

2. LJ. He's a hell of a runner, but those blocking and receiving skills seem to have hit a wall.

3. Sampson. He actually played very well when he wasn't injured. Unfortunately he appears to have come from the Dan Williams school of conditioning.

4. Dante Hall. All of his confidence and return abilities left with DV. Plus, he's virtually useless as a receiver.

5. Parker. He was supposed to develop into a solid WR last year. We're still waiting to see any of that development.

KCChiefsMan
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
the refs

Woodrow Call
01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Mine:

I don't see why people compare DJ to those 2 players. It's a different scheme with different responsibilities.

DJ needs to make more of an impact no question about it but the comparision is not valid IMO.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't understand why people want to compare DJ to Ware or Merriman. An OLB in a 3-4 is a completely different creature than an OLB in a cover 2 4-3 defense. DJ is never going to have as many sacks or pressures as those guys.

It's not about the sacks. It's about the big plays. He showed early last year a propensity for stripping the ball. He didn't show that at all this year. And where is he on pass plays? The guy should be picking off passes ala Donnie Edwards...

Direckshun
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
2. LJ. He's a hell of a runner, but those blocking and receiving skills seem to have hit a wall.
You know, that's actually not a bad call.

Fruit Ninja
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Trent was a huge disappointment, easily the largest of the team. No idea how a guy as smart as he is returns before he is mentally ready, but he did so, and it severely damaged the Chiefs.

A very, very close third is Lawrence Tynes. Kicker who proved early on that he could be counted on, and completely self-destructed this year. Had one glorious moment when he defeated the Chargers, but other than that, the guy has not been reliable.

The distant fourth: Will Shields was a disappointment, but I think it's because age has caught up with him. The entire Chiefs nation was anticipating Shields to decline four years ago, but as he continued to persevere, I just felt he could churn out another All Pro year in 2006.

And then to round it out, you'd have to say Jordan Black. Not because we thought he'd be great, but because there was no way we could anticipate him being the worst LT in the NFL.
That would be Robert Gallery, but Black is close.

scott free
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
And that was my point.

I'd have to say off the top of my head, the players that didn't live up to expectations would be Trent Green, Samie Parker, James Reed, Derrick Johnson, and Dante Hall...

I agree with this except for Reed, what did we really expect from him??? I know i didnt even expect him to make the team, he was 3rd string on the jets.

Outside of that i will say...

Bell - shoulder shmolder, this guy flat didnt get it done & by his 2nd year in the system he had 0 excuses.

Wesley - Good for the occassional pick & also good for giving up the bomb atleast once a game. Also, their called arms Greg...try using them to wrap up.

Walls - A COMPLETE non-factor from A2Z.

Bennett - This list couldnt be complete without Glass Joe.

Sampson - See above.

Parker - 'Nuff said.

Dante - Slip slidin'.

Anyone else who doesnt get mentioned is because i didnt expect anything from them anyway ie; Turley, Sims, Edwards, Reed, Black & a handful of others.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I agree with this except for Reed, what did we really expect from him??? I know i didnt even expect him to make the team, he was 3rd string on the jets.

Outside of that i will say...

Bell - shoulder shmolder, this guy flat didnt get it done & by his 2nd year in the system he had 0 excuses.

Wesley - Good for the occassional pick & also good for giving up the bomb atleast once a game. Also, their called arms Greg...try using them to wrap up.

Walls - A COMPLETE non-factor from A2Z.

Bennett - This list couldnt be complete without Glass Joe.

Sampson - See above.

Anyone else who doesnt get mentioned is because i didnt expect anything from them anyway ie; Turley, Sims, Edwards, Reed, Black & a handful of others.

Reed actually showed some spark in preseason and during the first couple of games. But he wore down as the season went on.

DeepSouth
01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
"Bone Crusher" Pollard. I expected him to take Knight's starting job before the season was over.

Redrum_69
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Damon Huard was the most disappointing player

He cost us the game at Miami and Pittsburg

We would have been in the playoffs for sure if he didnt lose those games for us...

And Denver as well

BENCH HUARD

kc rush
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
1. Bell – Was supposedly not healed in 2005, but was ready to go in 2006. Lost time to Key Fox.
2. Hall – Ran side to side too often, didn’t follow blockers, threw tantrums, dropped balls that hit his hands.
3. Law – Was supposed to be the answer at CB. Fell a lot, was burned on double moves, was pulled for Walls at times. Did show up for the playoffs though.
4. Tynes – Has talent but still missed too many FG opportunities, has trouble kicking off. Bring in some competition and see what happens.
5. O Tackle – Right or left, pick your player. Not that I was expecting anyone to play to Roaf’s ability, but I also didn’t expect them to be human turnstiles either. I may as well put Roaf on my list of dissapointments too for bailing when he did.

scott free
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
"Bone Crusher" Pollard. I expected him to take Knight's starting job before the season was over.

You dont think your being a little hard on the guy???

He saved our ass a couple of times just coming off the bench, he'll come around.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
01-23-2007, 03:46 PM
#1 Bell- hasn't showned anything since he has been here.

#2 Simms- We passed up on Big John Henderson for this chump!

#3 Hall- Looks to scared to do anything and has all that speed but can't get open.
#4 Parker- Was his time to shine.

#5 Solari- Hey Mike, try to throw a pass on first down every once in awhile!

StcChief
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
1. Green
2. Hall
3. Bell
4. Simms
5. Black
6. Sampson
7. DJ

Deberg_1990
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
1. The return of TrINT! nice knowin ya Trent!

2. Will Shields....too old......so long...

3. Kawika....a never was..

4. Tynes....see above

5. Dante Hall....left his brain at home on Sundays...

Honorable mention: Ryan Sims....cant even get up to perform in a contract year........pathetic....

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
5. DJ--Plays like a second round draft pick, not a top 15 choice.
4 Brian Waters--got his ass worked more than once
3. Kawika--Probably suffered a bigger regression than any other player this year
2. Dante--A non-factor...terrified me every time he touched the ball.
1. Bell--A complete free agent bust, product of a very LB-friendly system in Pittsburgh. Will be out of football in '08.

penchief
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't see why people compare DJ to those 2 players. It's a different scheme with different responsibilities.

DJ needs to make more of an impact no question about it but the comparision is not valid IMO.

Agree. I see DJ as more like Denver's linebackers.

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Agree. I see DJ as more like Denver's linebackers.

Which one? The only one that is GREAT is Al Wilson. The rest are very ho-hum. Perhaps that's a good comparison - DJ was pretty ho-hum this season.

Douche Baggins
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I expected Parker to have a breakout season. I think Green's injury really hurt him, but he was disappointing nonetheless. I wrote an article about it that will appear tomorrow.

Dick Bull
01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I expected Parker to have a breakout season. I think Green's injury really hurt him, but he was disappointing nonetheless. I wrote an article about it that will appear tomorrow.

I can hardly wait

htismaqe
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I can hardly wait

ROFL

madshaw16
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Has anyone listed Lenny Walls? He flat out blew, he was just about sharing time with Law and Surtain yet couldn't do anything to stop the pass and provided the team with stupid penalties.

Deberg_1990
01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Has anyone listed Lenny Walls? He flat out blew, he was just about sharing time with Law and Surtain yet couldn't do anything to stop the pass and provided the team with stupid penalties.

im not really sure hes much of a disappointment? Hes been a career underachiever and no one really expected much out of him anyways...

KCChiefsFan88
01-23-2007, 06:57 PM
The most disappointing person wasn't a player it was Herm.

Well I expected Herm to be a miserable failure and he didn't disappoint in that regard

madshaw16
01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
im not really sure hes much of a disappointment? Hes been a career underachiever and no one really expected much out of him anyways...

He was supose to come in and replace Eric Warfield, which he came no where close to. I'm not a big Warfield fan but he could at least make a few interceptions and was a pretty good tackler.

Deberg_1990
01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
He was supose to come in and replace Eric Warfield, which he came no where close to. I'm not a big Warfield fan but he could at least make a few interceptions and was a pretty good tackler.

huh??? Ty Law replaced Warfield...

Nobody expected anything out of Walls....i know i didnt...i saw him play in Denver.

kcfanintitanhell
01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't know what's more depressing-we kept Walls on the roster, or our #1 CB 3 years ago was cut in TC by the Pats.

Deberg_1990
01-23-2007, 08:03 PM
our #1 CB 3 years ago was cut in TC by the Pats.

How telling is it that the Pats cut him so quick and usually get so much mileage out of the retreads and rejects....

Extra Point
01-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Turdley, Law, Surtain, Wesley, Hall

kcfanintitanhell
01-23-2007, 08:07 PM
How telling is it that the Pats cut him so quick and usually get so much mileage out of the retreads and rejects....

Gawd!! Now I'm even more depressed.

madshaw16
01-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Law was not brought in to replace Warfield. We didn't sign Law until the last minute before training camp, they were satisfied with the roster they had. Law just so happened to fall in our lap.

SLQ
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Would probably add Huard to that list.

He didnt do enough to get Herm to bench Green.

So therefore our playoff/Superbowl hopes were crushed....

Huard would not have made a difference, as a matter of fact he could have been knocked out of the lineup just as easy as anyone. His age is a factor and the Chiefs o-line afforded the QB very little protection.

My most dissapoiting players are, in no specific order:
Hall
Parker
K. Bell
Mitchell (not the defensive general we need back there)
Black

Non-Players
Edwards - He dismantled the most prolific offense over the past four years in less than a season.

Solari - He had the reigns of the offense and could call the plays. If he didn't have the balls to fight Herm about the game plan he should have quit on the spot.

sedated
01-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Law was not brought in to replace Warfield. We didn't sign Law until the last minute before training camp, they were satisfied with the roster they had. Law just so happened to fall in our lap.

yeah right. :rolleyes:

Herm and Ty had an arrangement from the beginning. you could tell from the smile on Herm's face in TC.

Law just wanted to avoid the OTA's and some of camp

HemiEd
01-23-2007, 08:38 PM
1) Dante Hall, he just plain sucks now.
2) Ryan Sims, I was still holding hope that he would return to at least early form.
3) Wesley
4) Trent
5) Law, until the playoff game.

I had no confidence to start with for Bell, Black, Sampson and Turley.

sedated
01-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Offense:
Green
the entire OLine
the WR's
Ronnie Cruz
LJ (2000 yards?)

Defense:
Bell
Wesley
Bell
Surtain
Bell
Mitchell
Bell
Knight
Bell

SLQ
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I honestly think that you guys are giving Trent Green a bad rap.

He didn't do as well this year as he had in the past, but you discount anything that could have been if he weren't injured. His lack of protection would make anyone look bad. With proper coaching those players we had could have given him, and Huard while he was in there, better protection and that would made a big difference.

The playoff loss to Indy was totally on the shoulders of Herman and Solari. That game was the first time I saw Gunther/Herms defense do anything.

I would watch to see what transpires with Trent in the off season. He is a man of honor, if he doesn't think he was at fault he will be back, if he feels that he has lost the touch I think he will retire. I also think he has what we need to get to the SB and should stick around.

Regardless of what we all think, only time will let the story be written.

shaneo69
01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
First, I should list the guys who I expected to suck, and they met my expectations...

1) Trent - without Roaf, I expected a repeat of 2001
2) Sampson - expected him to win the job and then get hurt, and he met my expectations
3) Bell - I said last winter it was a mistake to restructure his contract and keep him, and he made me a prophet
4) Wesley - had the exact same year he's had since 2004; why should anyone have expected any different?
5) Welbourn - sucked like always; hopefully he'll retire for good this time
6) Black - sucked just like last year, but a move to RG next year should get him off this list
7) Turley - I didn't think he'd make it out of training camp
8) Sims - why should this year be any different?
9) Hicks - see Sims
10) Bober - now we know he sucks at OG too
11) Herm - everything I had heard about him was correct
12) Bartee - somehow managed to get paid for another full year despite not playing one down; actually, this might've been his best year
13) Jerome Woods - like Hicks, I'm not sure if he was even on the team this year, but either way, he was just as good as he was in '05

Guys who didn't quite suck (IMO) but sure as hell didn't overachieve or help the team get over the hump...

1) Dante - he only made it to this list because I don't remember him single-handedly losing any games by himself
2) Samie - drops too many balls, but would be better (and probably more annoying with his 1st down signals) if we had a QB
3) Kennison - he would've been on my "played well but did not exceed expectations" list had he not professed to be a #1 WR in the offseason
4) Big Foot - now we know he's not a FB either
5) Shields/Wiegmann/Waters - I blame Hermolari for their decline
6) Reed/Edwards - yeah they won starting jobs, but....
7) Sammy Knight - still had a lot of tackles in less PT, but not the leader he should be
8) Surtain - last year, he was on my biggest disappointment list; this year, he wasn't any better, but at least my expectations were lowered
9) Walls - looked better when he played for the Broncos and was covering Johnnie Morton
10) Sapp - I blame Gunther for his demise
11) Browning - another good, if not quiet, year for Big John. But you know what they say about DT's----if you don't hear their name called, the opponents must be staying away from their side of the field

My biggest disappointments:

1) Solari - has no balls
2) DJ - needs to make the Pro Bowl to get off this list
3) Law - had about 3 good games---AZ, Jax, Indy; not worth the money
4) Kawika - took a huge step back this year
5) Svitek - I thought he would challenge for the LT position
6) Griffin/Fox - one of these guys should've been playing in Bell's position, but maybe that's Gunther/Carl's fault for playing Bell because of the salary involved
7) Wilkerson - why do I keep expecting this guy to break out?
8) Boomer - hasn't even become good at ST
9) Pollard - if you're gonna draft a ST player in the 2nd round, he better be Devin Hester
10) Croyle - couldn't beat out Huard for #2
11) Cruz - hey, way to seize your opportunity!
12) Bennett - he was okay in the five games that he was active
13) Ross - couldn't beat out Dee Brown for #3 RB; remind me again why he wasn't left on the practice squad
14) Maxey - I thought Herm was supposed to be a guru at picking late round DB's
15) Gunther - even the awful '98 defense looked like the '85 Bears compared to his last 3 defenses
16) Webb - apparently isn't smart enough to grasp the offense
17) Gardner - absolute total waste of a signing; I thought he would at least make an Eric Martin/Webster Slaughter-type contribution
18) Terry - supposedly was a Pro Bowl talent with Seattle and Carolina; couldn't beat out Welbourn/Turley here
19) Priest - mailed it in; I guess 4 good years gives you that right
20) Tynes - still have to hold your breath any time he tees it up

Guys who played well but did not exceed my expectations...

1) Gonzo
2) LJ
3) J. Allen
4) Colquitt

Guys who exceeded my expectations....

1) Tamba
2) Page
3) Huard
4) Stallings - good job making the team, Tre!
5) Scanlon - beat the odds by making the team yet again
6) Rudy - hopefully we'll see this undrafted FA on the field next year

SLQ
01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
First, I should list the guys who I expected to suck, and they met my expectations...13

Guys who didn't quite suck (IMO) but sure as hell didn't overachieve or help the team get over the hump...11

My biggest disappointments...20

Guys who played well but did not exceed my expectations...4

Guys who exceeded my expectations....6

My recommendation for you is to spend your off time either evaluating your critical nature or finding a different team to root for. Your disappointments far outweighed who you thought played OK or better.

Rausch
01-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Turley really let me down.

His salvation was having Jordan Black on the other end. That's like comparing your shower drain to a supermassive black hole....

Rausch
01-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd grade Herm out at a C+.

The way he kept the ship floating after Trent went down and kept us in the hunt was amazing. I was 100% sure our season left with Trent on that stretcher.

The WAY he lost our playoff game drops him from B- to C+...

HemiEd
01-23-2007, 09:10 PM
My recommendation for you is to spend your off time either evaluating your critical nature or finding a different team to root for. Your disappointments far outweighed who you thought played OK or better.

I just popped the lid on a cool one. This should be good.

HemiEd
01-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Shane069. I am not going to copy your whole post, impressive work. I agree with more of your opinion now, than I did 2 years ago.

However, you can not objectively find anything wrong with Wilson's season.
He caught every ball thrown his way, but one.
He improved greatly on blocking and should continue to improve. This is the first year he has really played.

Woodrow Call
01-23-2007, 09:22 PM
I'd grade Herm out at a C+.

The way he kept the ship floating after Trent went down and kept us in the hunt was amazing. I was 100% sure our season left with Trent on that stretcher.

The WAY he lost our playoff game drops him from B- to C+...

That grade is just about right.

shaneo69
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM

If there's anyone in particular you take issue with, let's hear it. But this is the 2nd year in a row that the team choked when they had a chance to control their destiny in the playoff chase. Then after the planets somehow aligned perfectly and they lucked into the playoffs, they did their best to get the hell out as quick as possible. It wasn't a good year IMO.

SLQ
01-23-2007, 09:58 PM
If there's anyone in particular you take issue with, let's hear it. But this is the 2nd year in a row that the team choked when they had a chance to control their destiny in the playoff chase. Then after the planets somehow aligned perfectly and they lucked into the playoffs, they did their best to get the hell out as quick as possible. It wasn't a good year IMO.

I class myself as a Chiefs fan. I get disappointed like anyone else, I just don't see spending the whole off season trying to decide "what if" questions.

In your critical analysis of the team you graded more of the players as failures than you did those that didn't fail. We didn't get to the Super Bowl, neither did 29 other franchises and some of them had more dismal seasons than we did.

My basic point might be that if you are spending that much time tearing apart your team you either need to be employed by the guys at 1 Arrowhead Lane or take a step back and realize that it is a game and in that it is a game that teams lose. It isn't something any of us like but on a regular basis 30 franchise fan groups have to realize that they are again waiting for next year.

I live in the world of optimism. I have a clue that you might be seeing the glass half empty. We did accomplish something that we have not done in 3 years and we lost to the eventual AFC Champion. We actually played them a decent game defensively. Had the offense been hitting on all 8 we could be repeating the Steelers run from last year, but if I thought that after the loss I would be guilty of "what if"?

Long winded explanation but suffice it for me to say,,,,,,

There is always next year.

KingPriest2
01-24-2007, 08:52 AM
First, I should list the guys who I expected to suck, and they met my expectations...

2) Sampson - expected him to win the job and then get hurt, and he met my expectations
3) Bell - I said last winter it was a mistake to restructure his contract and keep him, and he made me a prophet
4) Wesley - had the exact same year he's had since 2004; why should anyone have expected any different?
6) Black - sucked just like last year, but a move to RG next year should get him off this list
9) Hicks - see Sims
12) Bartee - somehow managed to get paid for another full year despite not playing one down; actually, this might've been his best year
13) Jerome Woods - like Hicks, I'm not sure if he was even on the team this year, but either way, he was just as good as he was in '05

Guys who didn't quite suck (IMO) but sure as hell didn't overachieve or help the team get over the hump...

1) Dante - he only made it to this list because I don't remember him single-handedly losing any games by himself
2) Samie - drops too many balls, but would be better (and probably more annoying with his 1st down signals) if we had a QB
3) Kennison - he would've been on my "played well but did not exceed expectations" list had he not professed to be a #1 WR in the offseason
7) Sammy Knight - still had a lot of tackles in less PT, but not the leader he should be
8) Surtain - last year, he was on my biggest disappointment list; this year, he wasn't any better, but at least my expectations were lowered
9) Walls - looked better when he played for the Broncos and was covering Johnnie Morton
11) Browning - another good, if not quiet, year for Big John. But you know what they say about DT's----if you don't hear their name called, the opponents must be staying away from their side of the field

1) Solari - has no balls
6) Griffin/Fox - one of these guys should've been playing in Bell's position, but maybe that's Gunther/Carl's fault for playing Bell because of the salary involved
9) Pollard - if you're gonna draft a ST player in the 2nd round, he better be Devin Hester
13) Ross - couldn't beat out Dee Brown for #3 RB; remind me again why he wasn't left on the practice squad
15) Gunther - even the awful '98 defense looked like the '85 Bears compared to his last 3 defenses
17) Gardner - absolute total waste of a signing; I thought he would at least make an Eric Martin/Webster Slaughter-type contribution
18) Terry - supposedly was a Pro Bowl talent with Seattle and Carolina; couldn't beat out Welbourn/Turley here

1) Gonzo
2) LJ
3) J. Allen
4) Colquitt

1) Tamba
2) Page
3) Huard

IMpressive but all wrong on most. It shows that you don't really pay attention to the Chiefs.

Chiefnj
01-24-2007, 08:56 AM
There is always next year.

The Raiders have Committment to Excellence; the Chiefs have There Is Always Next Year. Not quite as catchy.

shaneo69
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
IMpressive but all wrong on most. It shows that you don't really pay attention to the Chiefs.

Yeah, okay, whatever.

shaneo69
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
The Raiders have Committment to Excellence; the Chiefs have There Is Always Next Year. Not quite as catchy.

Just win, baby / Just wait until Carl retires, baby

InChiefsHell
01-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Holy shit man! The guy blocked 2 punts...3 if you count the one we ended up losing back to the other team...he's a rookie...he made some BIG hits on ST...I just don't know how he could really be a disapointment. Now, if next year he can't crack the starting lineup and his performance drops, I'd agree.

KCChiefsFan88
01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Turdley, Law, Surtain, Wesley, Hall

I'm amazed people actually expected Turley to be the answer at left tackle. He was a guy coming off being out of the league for 2 seasons, he was undersized, he had a gimpy back and his best position when he was playing was right tackle.

Its not Turley's fault that Peterson didn't prepare properly for Roaf's retirement

Baby Lee
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I thought 06 was going to be his coming party. I was way off.
:eek: - freaky-deaky.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
1. Sims
2. Law
3. Surtain Both corners were soft most of the year
4. Bell
5. Green (i still don't think alot of it was his fault though)

(dis)honorable mention: Wesley,Shields,Waters

rad
01-24-2007, 04:04 PM

9) Hicks - see Sims

1) Solari - has no balls

1) Gonzo
2) LJ
3) J. Allen
4) Colquitt

1) Tamba
2) Page
3) Huard

Well, that just totally discredits your entire post

What team does he play for now?

shaneo69
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, that just totally discredits your entire post

What team does he play for now?

That was a joke. I threw him and Browning in there just to see if anyone would actually read it.