PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Fisherman.

El Jefe
01-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I was wondering if any of you that are fisherman have any knowledge of really good spincasting reels. I have all types of reels and was just wondering if any come to mind by any of you guys.
Also any of you guys ever use the Banjo Minnow Kit that you see on t.v. sometimes. I bought it last year for fun but never really used it. Just wondering if any of you have had any success with it or even tried it.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Shimano

that is all you need

HonestChieffan
01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Just bought two at Cabelas for two small boys...same reel i started my kid on...Diawa makes a level wind spincast reel that wont twist the line..about 45 bucks and great little reels

Chiefnj
01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Why spincasting?

Iowanian
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm a bait caster man myself. My only spinning reals are ultralights,for when my buddies insist on fishing for bait instead of bass.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I make my own spinnerbaits and fish the strip pits from Hume MO..over to Foster..and down through Rich Hill. Caught and released several trophy bass...from 8-11 pounds...

I've asked several times if anyone on the board ever wanted to catch the largemouth bass of a lifetime..but never had any takers so I stopped asking.

I stock alot of my ponds with nothing under 5 pounds.

Iowanian
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm always looking for giant bass.

I had one die last year that was 22 1/2" so I'm having it stuffed.....I'd stab a stranger to catch a 10lber in the midwest. I catch alot of 5's and 6's but 7-8s are pretty rare in Iowa.

I have fished at some strip pits in KS, I believe the Holiday Lakes area.

Redrum_69
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
Tell you what....want to know one of the premier spots in Kansas?

Google "West Mineral, Kansas" or "Mined Land in kansas"

Should come up with a file that LISTS 200 strip pits west of pittsburg...that is LOADED.

Even has a trout pond

If you are having trouble with the link, let me know, i'll link it

Smed1065
01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I make my own spinnerbaits and fish the strip pits from Hume MO..over to Foster..and down through Rich Hill. Caught and released several trophy bass...from 8-11 pounds...

I've asked several times if anyone on the board ever wanted to catch the largemouth bass of a lifetime..but never had any takers so I stopped asking.

I was raised fishing strip-pits around Calio (SP) Mo.

I can confirmed they are the best places to fish. Usually fresh stream and deep.

Some nice bass but some big azz crappie, in my day.

El Jefe
01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I have all different types of reels, I use baitcasters, but I just wondered if there were any really good spincasting reels. I fish a lot in Ohio pretty exclusively around central Ohio. I went up to Lake Erie this past summer 2 times. I went with my buddy and his grandpa and I limited out on perch about half way through the trip so we started filling his grandpas bucket up too LOL. We ended up catching 26 lbs of perch but it was like 12 lbs cleaned. I would love to fish with you redrum, especially if you make your own spinnerbaits I have wanted to learn how to do that. I would shart my pants if I caught a 8 lb bass.

Extra Point
01-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Open face: Shimano. Closed face: Daiwa. Caught a nice 5 lb channel cat with 2 lb test on the Daiwa a few years ago. (Too lazy to bring out the Ambassador and the artillery.) Great fun!

MeaTy The Pimp
01-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Johnson used to make a decent spincast reel for the money. (They were relatively inexpensive.) Daiwa reels are always a good bet if you have the $$. Hell, even the Zebco 33 Classic is a decent reel that can handle some large fish. If you are going to fish mainly artificials, then you will prolly want a Diawa because you can get them with faster gear ratios to run crankbaits and spinnerbaits. For live bait I would prolly go with a Zebco 33.

As far as the banjo minnow, I don't have much to say about them other than a new gimmick lure seems to come out every year or two. You would prolly have about as much luck throwing a sluggo or any other soft jerk minnow. I fish alot of soft plastics and I always seem to have better luck throwing a texas rigged 7 inch Blue Fleck Power worm.

stumppy
01-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I have Shimano spincaster that I bought about 20 yrs. ago. It has the quick fire, one finger bail release that was a fairly new thing at the time. If I remember right, thats the main reason why I chose it. Anyway, the only things I've had do to it is replace the handle keeper pin (with a nail) and I have to pull the release lever a certain way because of wear and tear on the plastic lever. Without a doubt it is the best reel I've ever owned. And I still use it on a regular basis.

Simply Red
01-31-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm always looking for giant bass.

I had one die last year that was 22 1/2" so I'm having it stuffed.....I'd stab a stranger to catch a 10lber in the midwest. I catch alot of 5's and 6's but 7-8s are pretty rare in Iowa.

I have fished at some strip pits in KS, I believe the Holiday Lakes area.

Pony Express Lake in Missouri probably have some 10#'ers in it.

Simply Red
01-31-2007, 07:13 AM
Pony Express Lake in Missouri probably have some 10#'ers in it.

SSHHH! though. I don't want my dad to be pissed at me for sharing.

heh...

Simply Red
01-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Tell you what....want to know one of the premier spots in Kansas?

Google "West Mineral, Kansas" or "Mined Land in kansas"

Should come up with a file that LISTS 200 strip pits west of pittsburg...that is LOADED.

Even has a trout pond

If you are having trouble with the link, let me know, i'll link it

Dad used to go there as well. As I recall they are very deep.

Yep. Just like your momma...

boogblaster
01-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Shimano the best spin.. I fish for mainly big-cats so I use bait-casters Ambassadors 6000 or bigger...

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Heres another contribution....

Marais des Cygnes...Drainage Ditch...near Rich Hill. You go over that creek on 71 highway. If you take the sideroads and go west...you'll find an old torn down bridge that was called "Haymaker Bridge"

Early spring...walleye run...most fun you'll ever have.

No reason to go to Hillsdale Dam and fight the traffic...I have three spots that NO ONE else will be..

All you need is a 1/24 or a 1/32 jig tipped with a two inch piece of nightcrawler...or a firetiger bomber crankbait...those two will catch your limit and then some.

wutamess
01-31-2007, 08:41 AM

I'd like to go... but I like cat fishing more than anything.
Hate the keep casting & casting routine.
Like sitting & talking chit while waiting & throwing rocks etc on the banks.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 08:42 AM
At Haymaker...theres a riffle east of the bridge, that draws walleyes and I've caught other game fish there as well...white bass, crappie..etc

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 08:51 AM
I'd like to go... but I like cat fishing more than anything.
Hate the keep casting & casting routine.
Like sitting & talking chit while waiting & throwing rocks etc on the banks.

What if I took you to a place that you could catch on average...a four, five, six or seven pound bass...every trip.

on some days i'll go and catch 40 or 50 two-three pound bass...between 30 bodies of water, all on one plot of land.

Crappie...2-3 pound range

Bluegill...2 pounders are common during spawn

catfish...dont even get me started

I have access to alot of areas, I also have several ponds all over where I grew up that I have never thrown anything in under 5 pounds...I go there once a year and try to keep everything three pounds and smaller.

Youd still get tired of constantly casting?

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 09:05 AM
That will go for anyone...who wants to drive an hour south of KC...will bring their own fishing pole and lures if they want...or I can supply the tackle.

For years I thought about opening up my own guide service, just because its a blast watching peoples expression when they land a huge fish.

Its a rush for me to be able to go out and catch fish on the lures I make by hand.

Iowanian
01-31-2007, 09:13 AM
I have family I visit occasionally south of Harrisonville a little bit. Sometimes we fish for flatheads or throw a line after some bass.

Its tougher to get away, but I'd like to have you prove those bass exist...and I'd love to be proven wrong.

stumppy
01-31-2007, 09:26 AM
That will go for anyone...who wants to drive an hour south of KC...will bring their own fishing pole and lures if they want...or I can supply the tackle.

For years I thought about opening up my own guide service, just because its a blast watching peoples expression when they land a huge fish.

Its a rush for me to be able to go out and catch fish on the lures I make by hand.

I might just take a little trip north and give you a chance to prove your fishing tales this spring.:)

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 09:34 AM
SOunds good

Lets get rid of this shitty weather first and I'll be glad to prove it :D

Sounds like the easiest place to meet for you two would be at Butler, then we can just go west from there.

Dartgod
01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that action myself.

bringbackmarty
01-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I've been to mined land, fished #30, haven't tried for bass. I love it. Shimano, I have a stradic, It's great.

bringbackmarty
01-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Redrum, I might even forgive the things you said about my mother if you take me fishing. I am the ultimate fishing buddy, I pay for the gas, bring the beer, and don't speak to anyone until I've caught a feew fish.

El Jefe
01-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Man redrum_69, If I was near you guys I would be all over taking a fishing trip with you. I just turned 19 and have only been fishing for about 2 years (well fishing without a bobber lol), and I love to fish with anyone who can teach me anything about the sport. I read a ton of material from In-Fisherman (I love that magazine, and Ohio Game and Fish, which is probably the best Fishing magazine in Ohio for sure. One lure I caught maybe 50 bass on last year alone was the chatterbait, man I love that lure chartreuse and white or chart/light green, I dont catch bass over 3lbs very often at all. I like to fish for everything, I like fishing for Channel Cats thats pretty fun, I catch a lot of small white bass at Alum Creek. The best smallie fishing maybe in the world is Lake Erie around Kellys Island its crazy up there, tons of 5 pounders at the right time of year.
Redrum_69, I wouldnt know what to do if I caught a 3 lb crappie thats a monster.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
The biggest crappie I've caught at the pits is right at 2 pounds, but several other members report every year that they have caught the black and white crappies in the three pound range, some have even caught two two pounders at the same time double rigging crappie jigs. That would be awesome to pull that off.

THeres a few boat ramps at these pits, mostly just gravel and pretty steep because they are the old roads that the dumptrucks and loaders hauled out the coal. I mainly walk the shore and you can drive right up to these pits. Like I said, no one else will be there, except the farmers who have cows on this land. The acreage is a 3 mile X 2 mile plot.

The background on this place is this...during the 1960's coal mining boom...cranes and dredgers were used to strip the land away from the coal, this coal would then be shipped all over and I'm sure that alot of it was shipped to the KCPL plant at La Cygne in the late 60's early 70's after it was built. They mined the land, creating about 40 bodies of water, ranging from shallow..to over 100 foot deep. (In the summer you can watch the cows walk out 50-75 yards from the shore..and then hit the drop off...that ledge is brutal..drops from 4 foot to 11 foot..then down to 67 foot...some ledges are more brutal...) Now after the coal was removed, the land was basically covered with holes, that eventually filled with water. Missouri game and fish came in and stocked these waters with everything..carp, bluegill, bass, crappie, catfish, grasscarp, crappie, and walleye. That was late 70's and early 80's. So from that point on, no one was fishing them..and the population kept increasing each year...their food base kept growing...the bass kept getting bigger and bigger.

Now if you ever watched the Virgil Ward show you would remember in some episodes that he fished at some strip pits...well my friends, these strip pits are the same ones I have access to.

Simply Red
01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
SOunds good

Lets get rid of this shitty weather first and I'll be glad to prove it :D

Sounds like the easiest place to meet for you two would be at Butler, then we can just go west from there.

Aren't you going to tell him something like? :) : "Bring your mom, I'll let her use my rod."

Definately have lost your burst... :)

El Jefe
01-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Man what I would give to come down and fish with you in those pits. How were you able to get access to them. A side question have you ever caught a grass carp, I have tried and tried to no avail. I mean I was only trying for fun because they are so hard to catch.

wutamess
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM
We used to go to the Clinton spillway (Lawrence) after a big rain. They'd let out the water and all you'd have to have was a red chartruese and you'd pull Gar, crappie, catfish, Buffalo, Asian Carp, etc.

Some of the best fishing ever since I like catching & fighting big fish. There you'd fight big fish & the white water current.

Took a trip to Catfish capital of the world in 95 The Red River. That was some great fishing also. biggest caught was 10lbs but I've had my deep sea fishing rod flatline while in a rod holder in the boat. That was the best fishing trip eva.

Simply Red
01-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Apparently none of you have been trout fishing at the boat show...

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Man what I would give to come down and fish with you in those pits. How were you able to get access to them. A side question have you ever caught a grass carp, I have tried and tried to no avail. I mean I was only trying for fun because they are so hard to catch.

The pond I currently have..is LOADED with catfish, grasscarp and bass.

I plan on stocking it with bluegill this year.

As for grass carp, I should send you the pic of the one I caught last year on the floating fish food from CO-OP. I hand feed all the fish in my pond...its pretty damn relaxing to sit out in the summer under the willow trees, dump a bucket of feed out in the water, and watch the fish go crazy. I'm also trying to sell some of those grass carp to the local farmers/pond owners, because I have way to many atm.

When I hook up with some of you, I'll bring you down and we can fish the pond at my house as well.

The grass carp I caught was a little over 17 pounds

wutamess
01-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh I must get this out before making the trip this spring. Black people don't believe in catch & release if it's good eatin.

Are your pond(s) ok with that?

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Oh I must get this out before making the trip this spring. Black people don't believe in catch & release if it's good eatin.

Are your pond(s) ok with that?

well depends on the time of year..and we gotta follow legth limits etc. because its club property

but..at my other ponds...its open season...

wutamess
01-31-2007, 11:47 AM
well depends on the time of year..and we gotta follow legth limits etc. because its club property

but..at my other ponds...its open season...

Oh we keep it legal.

Radar Chief
01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Just FYI, since you guys mentioned the strip pits.

http://www.kdheks.gov/news/web_archives/2006/01092006a.htm

The advisories assess cancer risk levels using EPA methods. Cancer risk assessment is a method to determine the added increase in cancer levels in a population if fish in the advisory areas are consumed regularly over a 70-year period. Assessments that estimate the increased risk of cancer as greater than one in 100,000 are determined to be unacceptably high-risk levels. Risk assessments for contaminants assessed as non-carcinogens (mercury, lead and cadmium) were based on 8-ounce meal size for adults and 4-ounce meal size for children 9 to 18 years of age.
Kansas recommends not eating specified fish or aquatic life from the following locations for the reasons stated:
1. The Kansas River from Lawrence (below Bowersock Dam) downstream to Eudora at the confluence of the Wakarusa River for bottom-feeding fish* because of PCB levels;
2. Horseshoe Lake located in units 22 and 23 of the Mined Lands Wildlife Area (Cherokee County) for all forms of aquatic life in addition to all fish because of perchlorate levels;
3. The Spring River from the confluence of Center Creek to the Kansas/Oklahoma border (Cherokee County) for shellfish (mussels, clams, and crayfish) because of lead and cadmium levels;
4. Shoal Creek from the Missouri/Kansas border to Empire Lake (Cherokee County for shellfish because of lead and cadmium levels.
*Bottom-feeding fish include: carp, blue catfish, channel catfish, flathead catfish, freshwater drum, bullheads, sturgeons, buffalos, carpsuckers and other sucker species.
In addition, Kansas recommends a limit of one 8-ounce serving per month, or twelve 8-ounce meals per year, on the consumption of bottom-feeding fish from the following locations due to PCBs:
1. The Arkansas River from the Lincoln St. dam in Wichita downstream to the confluence with Cowskin Creek near Belle Plaine (Sedgwick and Sumner counties)
2. Cow Creek in Hutchinson and downstream to the confluence with the Arkansas River (Reno County)
Due to the average levels of mercury, Kansas recommend a limit of one 8-ounce serving per week for adults or one 4-ounce meal per week for children 12 years of age or younger of any species of fish from the following locations:
1. The Little Arkansas River from the Main Street Bridge immediately west of Valley Center to the confluence with the Arkansas River in Wichita (Sedgwick County).
2. The main stem of the Blue River from U.S. 69 Highway to the Kansas / Missouri state line (Johnson County).

Radar Chief
01-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that action myself.

Same here.

Radar Chief
01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Redrum_69, I wouldnt know what to do if I caught a 3 lb crappie thats a monster.

I had mine stuffed, currently hang’n on the wall in my “Chiefs” room. :)
Though, I caught mine out of a farm pond, not the strip pits.

PastorMikH
01-31-2007, 12:22 PM
I like Shimano for spin-cast, Shimano and Abu-Garcia for bait-casters, Zebco 33 for the kids and cat-fishing.

I've used the banjo minnows and like them for topwater stuff. White and silver are the two colors I have the best luck with (too bad you have to buy the entire kit and not just what you want). Never had much luck with them though working down in the water - I never got the hang of knowing when to set the hook with them as it didn't seem (or at least with me) that the fish would take it in and keep it in their mouth like a plastic worm.

El Jefe
01-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Redrum_69, is your pond man made. How often do you stock your pond, I would definetely fly down for a while to go fishing with you and to get a crack at some of those places. Radar Chief, I would definetely have that rascal stuffed too. My buddy caught a three pounder up at Erie and he had it stuffed, that is an awful big fish.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
The pond I have used to be the local skating rink back in the 60's...then it was dug out and the dirt gathered on the north west part of the pond. Then the pond had a feeder creek flowing into it. A house was later built on the mound of dirt dug from the pond in the north west corner. THe pond itself is shallow, 8 foot and a possible 10 foot depth.

El Jefe
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
I have always wanted a pond and we live in the country but havent had one built. Man it sounds like you could have a lot of good fishing stories.

Radar Chief
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
The pond I have used to be the local skating rink back in the 60's...then it was dug out and the dirt gathered on the north west part of the pond. Then the pond had a feeder creek flowing into it. A house was later built on the mound of dirt dug from the pond in the north west corner. THe pond itself is shallow, 8 foot and a possible 10 foot depth.

Most ponds ‘round here dried up this last summer, only the deepest ones still have water in’em. Yours alright?

CoMoChief
01-31-2007, 01:52 PM
I got my Snoopy rod I bought at Walmart a long ways back.

PM me if you want any help!

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I have always wanted a pond and we live in the country but havent had one built. Man it sounds like you could have a lot of good fishing stories.

I have my fair share.

I used to fish Red-Man tournament trail, going to tournaments at Red-11 port on Grand Lake, Bucksaw point on Truman in Missouri, Mart Twain in missouri, Lake of the ozarks etc etc. I fished on the trail from 91-94, in the PLAINS division.

Iowanian
01-31-2007, 01:59 PM
I smell a CP bass tournament in the works.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Most ponds ‘round here dried up this last summer, only the deepest ones still have water in’em. Yours alright?

Yeah its down a few feet, but still deep enough to holdem. I was scared for a bit, but the last few rains we had brought it back up a bit. THe guttering I have drains from all corners of the house straight into the pond, which is pretty cool.

Looks like I'm going to be busy taking people all year long fishing...this should be a good year...usually the odd years are when I catch the biggest fish.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM
I smell a CP bass tournament in the works.

Oh hell yes...now this would rock

Iowanian
01-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm not a great lake fisherman at all...matter of fact, I don't do very well at Bull shoals(cabin).....but I like my chances on anything resembling a pond.

GoHuge
01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
If you want the best whether it be spinning or baitcasting Shimano is it. It just depends on how much $$ you wanna spend. The Shimano Chronarch MG is the best fishing reel ever made.

Radar Chief
01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh hell yes...now this would rock

I'd be there. :thumb:

El Jefe
01-31-2007, 02:36 PM
I would come down for a CP bass tourny I more than like my chances in a pond, in a lake not great chances for me. I fish a lot of ponds and am very ept at finding fish in ponds, but Redrum_69 sound like he and most others on here have years of experience over me.

Fish
01-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I'd like to sign up for the redrum fishing experience please.... Ever since I moved to KC I haven't found any decent fishing holes, and I dearly miss it. The closet I fish is usually Hillsdale.

El Jefe
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Well Redrum_69 looks like you might have jump started your new career, Redrum_69 fishing guiding services.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Good...I welcome it.

You cant have too many fishin buddies.

Redrum_69
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing...

A hold harmless agreement has to be signed beforefishing on the strip pits...just in case you fall or trip or get stampeded by rabid cows...or get shot..or snake bit etc that you dont sue the club.

In the 16 years of fishing there, I have yet to see copperheads or rattlesnakes. And I have been shore fishing through all seasons. I've seen my share of king snakes and milk snakes..and water snakes.

Oh yeah, just got off the phone a bit ago with my buddy over in Foster, MO...who said he has permission to some more bodies of water this year. The strip pits over there in that area are way better. Only because they were hand dug, way back in the late 1800/early 1900's. They call them "dumps" over there, rather than pits...because the dirt was dumped right there at the pits themselves, rather than hauled away to a different location. If you pull up Foster or Hume or Rich Hill Missouri on the google satellite images, you can see the many different dumps/pits in the area. Those down there are mostly privately owned and passed from generation to generation, so if there is a chance to buy them you have to jump on them. Most of the time the land goes damn cheap down there...between $500-1k an acre is the norm.

Redrum_69
02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Supposed to be warm all this week

Looks like the ice should be gone by the weekend

I'll make sure to take some pics of the pits.

I'd like for those that are interested in going to drop me a PM with their email addy and I'll send you the pics of where I fish at.

Redrum_69
02-20-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm planning a trip up to Devils Lake in April maybe March, soon as the ice is gone up there. Walleye...and pike....and northern perch....oh my!

El Jefe
02-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Well redrum_69 I would go with you but not anymore as I shouldnt be around heathens or I am not a good Christian according to you that is.

Redrum_69
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Well redrum_69 I would go with you but not anymore as I shouldnt be around heathens or I am not a good Christian according to you that is.

While youre at church tongiht, i'll be playing ring around the roseys with your mom

bogie
02-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Supposed to be warm all this week

Looks like the ice should be gone by the weekend

I'll make sure to take some pics of the pits.

I'd like for those that are interested in going to drop me a PM with their email addy and I'll send you the pics of where I fish at.

That's not fair. Those of us that live far, far away would still love to see pics. I've alread seen pics of your Mom, surely you can show me pics of your pond.

Reaper16
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Hell yeah! I haven't fished for sport in years, I don't have the time. My Grandpa and I fish with the intent to happily consume a bounty of crappie and catfish. Damn, that's good eats.

Iowanian
02-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Turns out, My brotherinlaw has access to the strip pits near Butler.

I'm in a group that is collecting, refurbishing fishing gear and rods/reals to distribute to needy kids later in the summer. Refurbished, oiled and strung 10 rods monday night.

I believe I fished this area about 10 years ago too.....and speaking of snakes, I was bitten on the boot by a skinny Green snake when I was reaching for a pretty cool hunk of geology, A Septarian Nodule....it looks pretty much like a fossilized turtle shell.

Simply Red
02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Turns out, My brotherinlaw has access to the strip pits near Butler.

I'm in a group that is collecting, refurbishing fishing gear and rods/reals to distribute to needy kids later in the summer. Refurbished, oiled and strung 10 rods monday night.

I believe I fished this area about 10 years ago too.....and speaking of snakes, I was bitten on the boot by a skinny Green snake when I was reaching for a pretty cool hunk of geology, A Septarian Nodule....it looks pretty much like a fossilized turtle shell.

Interesting. Yeah dad fished strips out by Frontenac, KS. Are snakes prevalent around the strips?